How to Use Pink/White Noise for Treating Reactive Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by alex1975, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Hey Michael, I’m trying. Been keeping positive as best as I can. I only research because I’m starting to get stabbing pains and baseline is slightly worsening or at least it feels that way. Maybe it’s just my tinnitus changing. I do worry about getting so bad that I can’t work or drive, I have a kid to take care of.

My tinnitus therapist I think has bailed on me, or at least hasn’t gotten back to me lol.

Thanks buddy.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand your reasons for wanting to research the stabbing pains you are experiencing. However, by paying so much attention to changes in tinnitus often builds up stress without one realizing it. The result is: stress makes tinnitus worse and tinnitus makes stress worse and this can become a vicious cycle.

If possible try and do things to help take away some of the focus from the tinnitus and you'll probably find that you start feeling better. It is just a suggestion. It is understandable what you're going through is stressful. Have a talk with your doctor who may prescribe something to help relax you, or try something herbal like St John's Wort. Talk to your doctor before taking it.

Take care,
      Michael

3. Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello @Wrfortiscue, I also use sound generators and have increased usage slowly to two hours per day. This has taken months increasing in minutes per day. I now find them soothing.

I also have regular counselling.

My generators are white noise but it doesn’t sound like white noise at all, it’s a very soft sound.

I’ve been using my generators since September.

Sending prayers.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      There seems to be a big difference between pink noise and white noise. This is a good site to understand which ones are really pink noise:

https://hyperacusisfocus.org/pink-noise/

My sound generators only go up to 10 kHz. Do you think that matters?

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I agree with you David, the link to the site you mention gives a good explanation of the difference between pink and white noise.

Three weeks ago I was fitted with new Oticon white noise generators. My audiologist explained they come fitted with hearing aids and are known as such. Since I don't have sufficient hearing loss to warrant the use of hearing aids, they were disabled via computer when I was being fitted.

It surprised me how advanced these new white noise generators are over my previous devices. I was able to choose three sounds from a choice of over ten if memory serves me correctly. Pink and white noise, ocean waves being the third. I also listened to green, red and brown noise.

The sound generators are Bluetoothed to my phone using the Oticon app. The app has a equaliser allowing Bass, Midrange and Treble to be finely adjusted on all three sounds.

I have a preference for pink noise as it sounds the smoothest.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Athens

Athens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/27/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does listening to pink noise through above the ear sound generators beneficial due to having a pleasant, more soothing sound to listen to or does it allegedly create new auditory pathways to the brain? I have read about the new pathways. It is hard for me to understand how listening to pink noise could result in improvement if a person has a lot of internal damage to their auditory system, but it apparently could result in coaxing the brain to turn the volume button down. Hyperacusis is my more challenging issue (I do have tinnitus, primarily in one ear).

7. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Brown noise is even more soothing than pink noise.

• Winner Winner x 1
    8. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @MindOverMatter, what would you say would be the most essential supplements for tinnitus? I remember that I was reading about it in some of your posts but cannot find it now. Hope you can share it again.

Thanks,
      David

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      @David S, my regimen these days, on a regular basis is...

Morning:
      - A potent B-vitamin complex
      - Bio-Flavonoids
      - Vitamin D3/K2 (I have deficiency)

Dinner:
      - Liquid Magnesium

Bedtime:
      - Omega-3 (with a good ratio of EPA / DHA)
      - 15 mg Zinc (remember to add copper - 2 mg)
      - Small dose liquid Melatonin: 0,25-0,5 ml

If I need pain killers for any reason, I usually use 600 mg PEA (up to twice a day).

Supplements are tricky, as its hard to monitor what effect it has + everyone is different. For instance, Magnesium, except for the liquid one I use now, spikes me.

Hope you are doing somewhat better? You will get there, in time.

• Like Like x 1
    10. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @MindOverMatter, thanks, Copper seems dangerous but it is essential with the Zinc? Do you have any brand you trust the most? What brand is the liquid Magnesium? How much do you take?

Feeling a little better but also trying to taper out the benzo (Oxascand aka Oxazepam) to only rely on the SSRI. I started at 30-40 mg benzo and I am now at 10-15 mg a day. I need to come off to see the full effect of the SSRI.

11. MindOverMatter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @David S, Copper is said to be essential when supplementing with Zinc.

I use a brand called Floradix for the Magnesium. Only 10 ml a day. Not sure if this is an international brand though. But check out iHerb or the likes for other brands.

"A little better" is a small step in the right direction. Good luck with the tapering.

12. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
    13. MindOverMatter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @David S, exactly, that's the one. I take it with dinner - never upset my stomach or spiked me.

• Like Like x 1
    14. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @Michael Leigh, @MindOverMatter, @Eleanor89:

Just a short update. Some minor improvements!

I can use the sound generator with pink noise set at a low level but till very audible from morning to night.

I almost stopped all benzos. Just a small dose before bedtime.

The reactive part is slightly better but sill quite sound sensitive.

I do not use any protection at home or at the office anymore. Only in the city and in the car.

Tinnitus is still very bothersome but not so much at a panic level anymore. Almost back to work full time for the last few days.

Planing to use the sound generators for the foreseeable feature. Just need to figure out the optimal volume setting. Will also add nature sound wile sleeping soon.

Thanks again for all the support!

• Like Like x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Just keep at it. With time it should get even better. I'm in the process of buying in-ear sound generators.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. MindOverMatter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's great news @David S.

The only way is forward. It just takes time to find what works out best for you. But you seem to be heading in the right direction - small steps.

• Like Like x 3
    17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      That is splendid news @David S. The advice from @Wrfortiscue is excellent, so keep at it. There are many twists and turns along the path to habituation. Be determined and never give up trying.

Michael

• Like Like x 3
    18. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Hey @David S, very glad to hear about any improvement at all!
      Did the current level of your sound generators spike your tinnitus in the months prior? If so, how did you introduce them? - by gradually incrementing exposure time in the day?

Wishing you continued improvements,
      Stacken

• Like Like x 2
    19. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      I would be interested to see if head tapping helps you get quiet.

Benzos made my hyperacusis way worse tapering off but temporarily.

White noise helped distract me but I drown out the tinnitus completely. It's never gotten any worse due to that (occasionally even it got better), just FYI. Distortions don't go away, just get trapped in the white noise and real life.

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Hi @Stacken77. I think my sound generators still make my tinnitus a little worse at the end of the day. I try not to think to much about it. It requires quite some dedication to start using sound generators with severe reactive tinnitus. To manage the stress involved using them, I had to go back on a small dose of benzo. I still think this is the right solution for me. As I see, I do not have any other good options. I have to trust my audiologist and the people on the forum with experience. I have been living with over protection and untreated hyperacusis for 2-3 years now. I am so dead tired of it.

It took me 2 months to be able to use them for the full day continuously. In the beginning I just used them for a couple of hours. Then I was able to use them for a day or two. After I just felt so exhausted that I had to take a break for a few days.

I know from @MindOverMatter that this will require a lot of dedication and baby steps. Hopefully most steps will take me forward but some will also be setbacks. I just have to trust my gut feeling for now. I do not expect any big improvement anytime soon. I know this will be a long bumpy road ahead.

At least I could go out with my family this evening to nice restaurant (with soft earplugs). Just some months ago that seemed impossible.

We all have to trust that we can and will get better!

• Like Like x 3
    21. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Tinnitus wise I had my best day today in a very long time. I have a lot less reactivity and sound sensitivity. It could be the sound generators starting to do their job. Also starting to think that benzos might make things worse. I did cut out all the fastest acting benzos like Zopiclone. I only use a small amount of longer acting benzo for now. It could also just be a coincidence.

I feel more and more adjusted to the sound senerators even if it took me a long time to get there!

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    22. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      After having some bad days, I’ve had way better ones lately. I find violet sound helping more than pink. I go back and forth as sometimes I react more than other times.

• Like Like x 2
    23. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Good to hear that you’ve had some good days lately (@David S too). Hope your sound therapy journeys pay off in the end. Still dealing with reactivity myself, some days very reactive, while other days not so much. But I think it might be in a better state than a couple months ago.

• Like Like x 3
    24. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      That´s good news. Are you on any meds? Did you start on the sound generators yet?

I think sound generators would be the best way to get full control. As you know, I struggled a lot to be able to use them for longer periods of time. I did quit several times. Now I almost feel naked without them. Before the noise trauma in late January I also overprotected for many years.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    25. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Yeah that’s great you are having better days. I seem to be up and down, last night my pulsatile buzzing just starting coming hard with the ceiling fan and had to turn it all off. So annoying lol.
      No meds but only because I don’t tolerate them well. I received my in-ear sound generators but they will be calibrated today. I have just been using my phone 1-2 hours a day.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello @David S and @Michael Leigh.

I’m using my in-ear generators nearly 3 hours daily and I find them soothing. I have also built my time using them by minutes daily.

My ears sometimes feel a bit twitchy after using them but I try to ignore that feeling.

But I’m going to continue using them as I feel they are helping me.

Just keep going @David S and you will get better...

• Like Like x 4
    27. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      This is good news Eleanor. Keep using the white noise generators and things will continue to improve. I know you had doubts about the sound generators working, because of your oversensitivity to sound that was very acute. Your patience has brought you to where you are today.

Stay with it.

All the best,
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    28. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @Eleanor89, I also felt that my ears were exhausted in the beginning. It is not too bad anymore. I just kept telling myself it was similar to exercise pain. I think I will try to raise the volume of the sound generators soon to build up sound tolerance even more. Just I few months ago I could barely take 40-45 dB like flush my toilet. Now I can even take short rides in my car without any discomfort and most importantly without my tinnitus getting worse. I estimate my car to be around 65 dB. I will use my sound generators until I forget them in the morning.

29. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @Wrfortiscue, will you have any amplification on your sound generators? Mine are very simple. I can choose white or pink noise and volume up and down. For now I set them so I clearly hear them in a quite room but not more. My tinnitus is fluctuating a lot. From an intrusive unstable hissing to a more tolerant unstable ticking. I would say I have more and more tolerable days. I could have 5 minutes here and there where I do not notice my tinnitus. To me that is a massive improvement!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    30. Hottopic29

Hottopic29 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Zithromycin acoustic trauma 2022
      Has your tinnitus improved, but not distortions? I have what sounds like a chain being dragged on ground in reaction to certain noises like white noise and fan. I'm not sure if that's a distortion or reactive tinnitus.