Hyperacusis, As I See It

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael Leigh, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Yashin

Yashin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Penalty save
      So I suppose you work for an audiology clinic which offers the TRT service. Are you the director or the Internet marketing manager? Where is the clinic located?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are correct. My tinnitus clinic is located in Brighton, UK. We practice TRT, CBT and offer tinnitus counselling. For those not living in the UK, I can provide tinnitus counselling sessions one to one on Skype. Please PM me for details on pricing for this service.
      Thank you
      Michael Leigh
      Hearing Therapist

• Funny Funny x 3
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Tread carefully... in many jurisdictions it is against the law to misrepresent yourself as a medical practitioner.
      If you intended this to be a joke, you may want to clarify...

• Like Like x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I think there is a little Tomfoolery going on but did make me laugh my dear Michael.....just what I needed to put a smile on my face....ROFLMAO!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Glynis, there is no "Tomfoolery" going on here. However, if the person in question tries to contact Michael Leigh's tinnitus clinic in Brighton, then I wish him the best of luck because he's going to need it. As Michael Leigh is a Pseudonym.

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. cantbelieveit

cantbelieveit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Forever
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I know who you are. Just as I knew who this person is:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...acusis-network-forum.18843/page-2#post-221747

(Arguably the most secretive person on all of the various tinnitus boards throughout two decades...).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      He's safe. Tinnitus clinicians are not medical practitioners. Literally anyone can call themselves one and open up shop.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Yashin

Yashin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Penalty save
      @Michael Leigh

I knew you were a TRT mole.

The TRT therapist character fits you better than the philanthropist one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      This is a great post. The announcement in the public transport would startle me always but I try to listen to them as consciously and carefully as I could. Fir now, i'm going to wear my earplugs only when I'm playing the upright piano; the loudness scared me little even when I was a child.

I suspect that the condition you are in, whether physical or mental, determines your hyperacusis in fairly a good part. I would hear the exact same beep sound that is too loud and once it's unbearable, it would to tolerable the right next time I hear it. But most of all, removing fears to noise is the most important thing.

10. UpDownAround
      Spaced

UpDownAround Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      What about hyperacusis without tinnitus? My son has that. Both he and I have crackling in the left ear, also. We can both make it happen without sound by pushing the tragus around a little. Left ear only, not the right. I do have tinnitus. He does get temporary ringing after exposure to a loud sound like anyone else but does not have tinnitus.

11. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      TTTS (Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome) maybe? But if he do get a temporary ringing after exposure to loud sounds, that indicates some sort of inner ear damage to me and should be taken as a warning sign.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. UpDownAround
      Spaced

UpDownAround Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have never heard of anyone being exposed to a loud noise and not get at least temporary ringing. I think that is perfectly normal. There seems to be a physical issue with our left ears which is so similar I think it could be a genetic defect. I am not sure whether this plays into the H or not though. The common symptom from it is that really loud noise like live music or a battle scene at a movie cause us to hear crackling and popping through that ear only even when H isn't flaring up (more sensitive). Even when there is a lull in H (which I have not had in a while, unfortunately) I would still put an earplug in the left ear for events where I expected loud sounds.

He does have some anxiety (enough that he is treated for it), so the TTTS does seem like a possibility.

13. Alastair

Alastair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible noise exposure- music teaching etc.
      Hi Michael

Really good to read some of your posts and replies here. Here are some of my own experiences - hope OK.
      Have had T since Nov '15 and A gradually appeared 2/3 months later. The T is manageable generally. It was very frightening at first and very loud in the left ear. The NHS ENT have been great but I am on my own now.
      The T is a hiss that is much more gentle than the earlier days and can go very low when I feel on top of things.
      However, the A is horrible and I fear it when I go out, especially into town( I popped into Brighton to buy walking boots last Saturday and it was tough - buses, taxis etc.) The A makes the T worse, although eventually it calms. So if I hear a banging from a building site, that will set the T off. At the beginning I got 'attacks' from being exposed to certain sounds- this resulted in horrible/loud T for a day/night then it would calm. I think that is better these days.
      I fear-
      building sites- banging/drilling sounds
      High pitched bus brakes
      cups and glasses banging together.
      T getting worse
      I am nervous about going out but make myself. Most of the time everything is fine.

I love quiet walking or mountain biking. I sleep with gentle river/forest/jungle sounds together with a quiet talking book on my laptop at night and during the day. This helps to take the mind off the noise and I can drift off or work etc.
      Outside, in the garden I find the T really low sometimes. But I worry about a passing siren or other noise.
      Drinking makes it worse, OK if I have 1 small bottle beer or a glass of wine with a meal.
      I never go out to the pub/ for a meal - i just find other people too noisy cutting meat on their plates or the banging of beer glasses etc.
      I have earplugs that don't have WN but are adjusted to take the top off the transients when I am out but doesn't stop
      the sound level. These were adjusted by the audiologist. I find white noise from earplugs in my T ear makes the T worse due to the A! Anyway, thanks for the thread. I don't know if you have any thoughts. I think my life has changed very much since the T and A.

cheers/best wishes
      Alastair

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Alastair

It's good to greet a fellow Brightonian! Actually I'm a Londoner born and bred but living in Brighton three years and liking it quite a lot. My hyperacusis has been cured for 18 years and believe me when I say it was severe. So bad conversation with people hurt my ears. I go down to the seafront regularly and the traffic doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I know what mean when you say that you're affected by the noise.

You may need white noise generators to cure your Hyperacusis so try and get a referral ENT/Audiology to see if they can help. Keeping away from everyday sounds isn't the answer. If necessary wear "noise reducing" earplugs for a while, not too often but try to get out in the environment as this will help to desensitise your auditory system.

Best of luck
      Michael

15. Alastair

Alastair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow what a quick reply, Thank you very much,
      I live along the coast in East Dean which is quiet. It is the Hyper A that is a struggle - yes.
      I am at the stage where I am scared that being exposed to anything loud will make my T permanently worse.
      I know it's mainly a fear really. For example, I love walking over the downs but I plan how to get back to the house without too much road exposure etc. That sort of thing is getting a drag.
      I do worry when I go to town - do you think that it is generally safe? I don't mean standing by a road drill but walking past buses and other 'load' noises like a bit of shouting or, someone knocking a nail into something? These worry me. I have been told to NOT to monitor my ears and to try to carry on as normal, but i have been worrying lately.
      The ENT dept said I could contact them if anything changed etc.

Perhaps I should try some hearing therapy for this Hyper A - (contact the audio dept).

Thanks Michael for any thoughts. The A is such a strange affliction!

cheers
      Alastair

16. Alastair

Alastair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Michael

Do you think the Hyper A can be reduced/sorted?

thanks
      Alastair

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Alastair

I live in Patcham on the Hollingbury border. The views across to the Downs is quite something and the Chattri Memorial is in clear sight. I parked the car on the Kings Road yesterday, and crossed over to Brunswick Square and had no problems with the traffic noise. I was heading towards WHSmith and the traffic on Western Road didn't affect me in the slightest.

You need to be out in the environment and to be exposed to normal everyday sounds. As your auditory system is sensitive at the moment you could start by using "noise reducing" earplugs that have "filters" in. I don't recommend foam earplugs. Just use the noise reducing plugs for a while to get your ears and auditory system used to everyday sounds in the environment. One of the main problems that people have with tinnitus and hyperacusis in "negativity" The more negativity is reinforced the problem either stays the same or becomes worse. Please click on the links below and read my posts that will help give you an idea of what I mean.

Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/inspiration.22894/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/can-tinnitus-counselling-help.22366/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/can-tinnitus-counselling-help.22366/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/from-darkness-into-light.22234/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-mental-health.21978/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/ear-protection.12216/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/positivity-and-tinnitus.12060/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

18. Alastair

Alastair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Michael
      Thanks again for your reply. I am determined not to get too negative.
      Thanks for the links - I will have a read.
      I am going out on the mountain bike in a minute with the plugs given to me by the ENT. Not sure if they are 'noise reducing' as such. They are not foam but hearing aid type. Could they be the noise reducing ones you mention? i know they tame transients slightly and use batteries.
      What kind of thing would you recommend?
      Anyway, thanks again.
      The South Downs is a stunning area for the views, fresh air and exercise etc.

cheers

Alastair

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am not familiar with the type of earplugs that you mention. I have never heard of earplugs that have batteries. Are you sure they are not white noise generators? If they look like conventional hearing aids they could be white noise generators. Please click on the link below to see "noise reducing" earplugs that have filters in. They are available in different attenuation sizes. I would use 18 decibels plugs whenever the need arises. Some people use 25db.

Best of luck
      Michael

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...gs&sprefix=alpine+,aps,173&crid=2UR6ZJZ8S77G4

20. Alastair

Alastair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Michael
      Thanks for your reply/link.
      Have ordered some filtered plugs, so will keep them with me on walks, going into town etc and will
      put them in when going past building sites and so on.
      That for me is the challenge- the sudden noise created by the banging of a hammer on wood/metal, beer glasses, plates and crockery banged together, Church bells, etc etc. This makes my T pretty bad and creates a spike for a while. So far it settles down after a period (couple of hours to couple of days). My fear is that it won't settle down at some stage in the future.

The ear aids from ENT dept are made by Siemens and do generate white noise, but I have had this turned off as it seemed to make my T in the left ear worse. There is a compressor setting that will dampen transient spikes although this doesn't make sounds quieter in general.

Thanks again
      cheers
      Alastair

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Alastair

If I were you then I would continue to use the white noise generators as this will help "desensitise" your auditory system in time. This is what is needed, as your auditory system is hypersensitive. The following is what I would do so please understand I'm not telling you to do this. I have been using white noise generators for many years. They cured my hyperacusis completely in 2 years, and used them as part of TRT.

In the morning I would put them on and set the level below the tinnitus.
      I would start off by wearing them for 1hr or 2hs. Then take them off for the same length of time.
      I would then slowly build up the wearing time over 3 weeks longer if needed but always keeping the volume slightly below the tinnitus. The WNG should never masked the tinnitus.

Eventually the auditory system will desensitise. I would also use a sound machine by my bedside at night. If I could get counselling with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist, I would pursue this route.

All the best
      Michael

22. Alastair

Alastair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Michael

OK I think I will make an appointment to see the audiologist at the hospital and discuss these ideas.
      Anything to get this H A less sensitive. That is what is so challenging.
      What kind of sound machine do you use? What sounds have helped you?

cheers
      Alastair

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      All the information that you need to cure your hyperacusis is in my articles @Alastair: in the links above. Hyperacusis, As I see it and: Tinnitus, A Personal View. Advice on sound machines is there too. The best is Oasis sound machines. They are made for people with tinnitus. Model S-650 is popular. You can buy it over the Internet or contact the British Tinnitus Association.

Michael

24. Alastair

Alastair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Michael,

Will read those articles - thank you.
      The Oasis machine looks excellent. Will definitely order it.

Thank you very much.
      cheers
      Alastair

• Like Like x 1
    25. Rodribs
      Confused

Rodribs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      High frequency trauma
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      08/2016
      Hi, just for knowledge, you H includes rubbing some fabric, changing pages on a book, extreme sensitivity when touch ears or to put ear plugs, even the sound of slippers rubbing the floor?, please advice. Thank you very much.

26. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      Hi, my hyperacusis is mostly reactive to high frequency sounds (not necessarily loud sounds) like cutlery on plate, female voices, children's voices, paper rustling, water coming out of a tap etc.

27. Rodribs
      Confused

Rodribs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      High frequency trauma
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      08/2016
      Ok so then it's a type of hyperacusis, just like what I'm passing through right know, external sounds like being on the street doesn't bother me that much but even bending a plastic sheath that gives us on groceries drives me crazy.

28. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      • Funny Funny x 2
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I agree it is scary. Just for the record, I am not the person in that photo that cantbelieveit is referring to. I prefer to remain incognito and use a pseudonym when online....

• Funny Funny x 1
    30. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Great article. I ordered a sound system that is about to arrive soon. Living with H is awful :(

• Agree Agree x 1