Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by joe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Lane

Lane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      There's also ample evidence timely application of HBOT is very helpful for any kind brain injury or trauma, such as stroke, aneurysm, concussion, etc. If anybody's tinnitus is even remotely connected to any of these kinds of brain traumas, it would seem that HBOT would likely be helpful for that tinnitus as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Mark Foster

Mark Foster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (a loud concert)
      I've started HBOT 2 days ago, i had noise induced T for about 2 months.
      I'll be doing another 8 33ft sessions, and see whether to continue from there.
      I don't have high hopes but i'm desperate for any kind of improvement.

Is 33ft enough though? My facility doesn't offer more than that.

3. JohnAdams
      Starving

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      I think HBOT should be administered ASAP from initial acoustic trauma.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Sevv

Sevv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Quick question: Can hyperbaric oxygen therapy also support the healing of damaged nerve cells? I had another hearing test today and had perfect results and reached 15 kHz and 16 kHz with my ears. So I can only conclude that my damage stems from hidden hearing loss that couldn't be detected.

This is more for confirmation. My tinnitus seems mild to very mild currently and I can't clear my ears, so I am basically guaranteed to get barotrauma with HBOT.

5. JohnAdams
      Starving

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      it started.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. Lane

Lane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      Hi @Sevv -- I'm such a big believer in HBOT therapy, I purchased a home unit for myself. HBOT pressure in clinical settings can be adjusted, but it's normally between 1.5 and 2.0 ATMs. Units that are sold retail to the public cannot exceed 1.3 ATM, and are commonly referred to as "Mild" HBOT, or mHBOT. As such, I would think the possibility of experiencing barotrauma would be that much less with mHBOT, just because of the pressure differential.

When I was doing clinical HBOT sessions, we started out at 2.0ATM, and I found that to be too much for my ears. But because we increased the pressure gradually, and backed off when I felt any discomfort, it did feels safe. With my home unit, I have even greater control of the pressurization, as I have a remote inside the chamber that can turn the compressors on and off. Whenever I feel any kind of discomfort (usually in my sinuses), I immediately stop the pressure, and release some of it. After a couple of minutes, I resume, and the initial discomfort has either gone away, or is greatly diminished.

Here's my bottom line on the possibility of suffering from barotrauma: I think the odds of that happening (for me and with my protocol) are really pretty negligible. So I don't have concerns about it. In addition, I have done some acupuncture and Gua Sha around my ears, TMJ, and auditory cortex areas, and I feel that has given those areas a lot more "breathing room" (for lack of a better word). I've especially noticed since doing the Gua Sha, that my Eustacian Tube function seems to be much better.

I do the Valsalva technique about a half a dozen times when my chamber pressurizes, and I've noticed it's become far easier to do since doing the Gua Sha (an ancient Chinese technqiue that resembles deep massage). It's possible however, that this improvement is from my ear drums being "freer" than previously. I mention this because I did the Valsalva technqiue while my Osteopath was looking in my ears, and he said my ear drums were "frozen up". He did a quick technique, and "unfroze" them. But the Gua Sha seems to have unfrozen them even more.

I've often wondered what percentage of people on this forum who report fullness in the ears (and TTTS) could benefit from doing some of these things I'm mentioning. My guess is quite a few. I feel these techniques I use has made my daily mHBOT sessions even more safe, which is on top of a very safe profile to begin with. -- Best...

The Mechanisms of Barotrauma in Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

7. hopedeferred

hopedeferred Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      AAT
      I did 10 or 20 (I think, been a while) HBOT sessions two weeks after developing tinnitus (triggered by acute acoustic trauma - accidental gun shot w/ no ear pro). One week after the event (happened over the weekend and then New Year’s holidays), I saw an ENT and he prescribed a week’s worth of prednisone - but it didn't help (but did increase ear fullness, as the ENT said it would). Prior to the trauma, I had never had an ear problem in my life (e.g., no popping in flights, etc.).

During the HBOT, which spanned a month or so, I had a lot of pressure, clicking, popping… but never any pain. HBOT doc advised those symptoms should resolve within a week or two after I conclude my HBOT sessions. That was three months ago. The popping and clicking has gotten worse and worse, and is essentially constant. It has somehow developed into an audible phenomenon – meaning my wife can even hear it at night when things get a little quieter in the house… or while sitting next to me at church. It’s quite maddening. ENT is stumped – didn’t notice any tears or ruptures in the drum in initial visits (and didn’t bother to look the last time or two). He was concerned with it potentially being something related to vessels initially given the recording I played him was somewhat rhythmic (e.g., potentially pulsatile), even though it’s generally random, and had me get an MRA. The MRA showed no anomalies.

None of this is intended to dissuade anyone from HBOT, and I don’t have any evidence my ear pressure/popping challenges are directly from the HBOT. Simply providing as a data point. My quality of life went from a 9 to a 5 when the tinnitus came on and rocked my world, and now probably a 3 with the constant pressure/popping/clicking on top of the tinnitus.

Like most of you I’d do just about anything to relieve these symptoms. I’ve tried tons of supplements, intermittent fasting, 2 month ketogenic diet, 2 week carnivore diet, 5 day water fasting, even one of those cranial therapy sessions – nothing has done much for the tinnitus or clicking. Praying for a cure!

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. Sevv

Sevv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Sorry to hear about your situation. Considering this whole thread we're now at 2-3 people with improvements, many with no effects at all and 2-3 with worsening. Since my tinnitus is fortunately low and seems to fade on its own, the gamble isn't worth it for me (especially since I have difficulty popping my ears at the moment). I hope I get some more fading in the next days to keep me convinced...

9. Mark Foster

Mark Foster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently on my 8th session. I believe I'm getting a good improvement. It's hard to say for sure as psychology (and spontaneous healing) plays a huge role in tinnitus and I'm aware of it but the last 3 days it's been bothering less and less and there has been loads of moments when it was quiet, and I now have a hard time hearing it if there is noise around.

I think i'll extend to do 15 or 20 sessions if i'm 100% sure it has helped after the 10th.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Lane

Lane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      Hi @hopedeferred -- Sorry to hear about your situation. Regarding your wife being able to hear the popping and clicking, I would actually look at that as a good sign. As I mentioned in my above post, my Osteopath was able to do a subtle technique which "unfroze" my eardrums. Perhaps there's some kind of technique that could address some of the mechanisms behind your ear noises.

I'm very much into alternative therapies, and think for the most part they have better potential than most standard conventional therapies or approaches. I noticed you did all those supplements, etc., so you might find the following thread I started of interest. I realize most people aren't interested in these kinds of approaches, but I just go ahead and post them anyway, for even that one person that might find something of value in it. Below is the link. -- All the Best!

DMSO & Magnesium Oil for Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome (TTTS)
      I've used a combination of DMSO & Magnesium Oil for several years now, mostly applying it to any muscle or area of my body that was tender or...
      Thread by: Lane, Apr 8, 2019, 0 replies, in forum: Alternative Treatments and Research

11. hopedeferred

hopedeferred Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      AAT
      Thanks for the reply Lane.

So, you just mix up that solution and then rub it in the skin around your ears?

I'm thinking I may have MEM tinnitus, but not quite sure... still digging into it a bit.

12. Mark Foster

Mark Foster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So after my 9th/10th session I got really positive about it and I felt like I had a really good improvement, but then on the weekend the tinnitus got worse again, as it was before. I've done 14 sessions in total and I've decided to stop now.

So I don't know if I got any improvement from HBOT, or if I just had a good week because of other reasons and then a bad week after that, but comparing it to the sound of the fan of my PC, it seems to be pretty much unchanged.

As of now (almost 3 months from the onset), I can cope with it much better, I don't really mind it anymore. I guess it won't help in moments of depression, but overall I feel good, I accepted it, no point in being sad if nothing can be done about it...

• Like Like x 1