Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by joe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Mathieulh
      Jaded

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      Another update, Oxygenotherapy is definitely NOT placebo, I went to my 5th session yesterday, today I can almost hear silence, in fact I can only hear my tinnitus when using earmuffs or earplugs right now. I don't even hear it in a silent room. I hope this improvement is permanent, I still have 2 mHBOT sessions booked and paid for.

2. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Is the HBOT loud? Someone told me there is sound, but maybe there are different kinds of chambers.

3. Mathieulh
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's not as loud as an airplane, but it's loud nonetheless, I use either earplugs, earmuffs or both while I am in the chamber, outside of the compression/decompression phases.

It's a mHBOT chamber, so it is/can be used for home use, it goes up to 1.3ATA.
      I would like to think it is helping somehow, but after having 2 consecutive days of mild, almost inaudible tinnitus, it went back to moderate, above background level last night, so I truly don't know if it's having any effect or if it's a good day/bad day issue.

4. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Thanks for your answer! I will try to see what's the HBOT landscape in my area. Is it prescribed by an ENT?

I am close to giving up searching for potential solutions. After suffering from very severe hyperacusis now I have hearing loss plus noise sensitivity, we can call it still hyperacusis. Tried different meds, corticoids, diet, had CAT scan, audiometric tests, LDLs, TRT, tympanograms, an attempt at evoked potentials (I had to stop it), etc etc and nothing is solved.

5. Mathieulh
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It wasn't prescribed by anyone, I had to pay for the sessions from my own pocket.

6. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      What I really meant was, why did you decide to go for HBOT? It was your idea, suggested by doctors etc?

7. Mathieulh
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was my idea, I decided after reading research about it.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Allan Mcmillan

Allan Mcmillan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock from playing guitar with headphones
      So, my tinnitus started around the 1st of May and initially it was alright but about a month ago I began to experience slight hearing distortions which has only been getting worse since last week. My sensitivity to sound is also increasing which I think might be early stage hyperacusis.

I'm barely 3 months in but I feel like HBOT might stop the progression of the distortion.

Should I go for it?

9. Lane

Lane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      @Allan Mcmillan -- I have a bias toward HBOT, so I would encourage you to go for it if you have the opportunity. I have a home mHBOT, and use it 5-6x/week. My tinnitus/hyperacusis have only improved slightly in the past 6 months since starting it, but my ability to sleep and relax has improved significantly.

I feel the better sleep and relaxation made my $7,000 investment more than worthwhile, as it feels like it's given an overall greater resiliency to my entire neurological system. Whether in the short or long term, that can only be good for our auditory system. -- BTW, some areas have small businesses that rent out mHBOT units for about $600/month or so.

Whether or not it's too late: I would say it varies with each individual, but I'm inclined to believe that for most cases, 3 months is probably not too late. Though I've heard there's a "60-day window" in which HBOT should be started after tinnitus onset, I don't believe there's anything scientific data to back that up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Allan Mcmillan

Allan Mcmillan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic shock from playing guitar with headphones
      Thanks for the response. I heard that LLLT doesn't yield too many results here but there are anecdotal reports of it improving hyperacusis and 'reactive' tinnitus. I might consider doing that as well as HBOT. Hopefully it'll yield results.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Lane

Lane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      @Allan Mcmillan -- From what I've read, LLLT would probably have been a good therapy for me to try in the very beginning, and I'm keeping it in mind as I move forward. Since it's already (clearly) been very helpful for some, why not give it a try and see if would be helpful for us? From what I've read, I'd say there actually might be more potential with LLLT than HBOT, but I'm sure it's a very individual thing.