Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by joe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. leftearguy

leftearguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/10/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Weed, Hidden Hearing Loss
      I'm thinking about trying HBOT. I had acoustic trauma 15 days ago and tinnitus in both ears which comes and goes but that isn't really the problem. My hearing quality seems to have dropped drastically. I often miss words that people say, I can't understand speech over noise, music sounds different, ambient sounds seem faint. It's a fairly drastic difference in my hearing. I suspect I have fairly bad Cochlear Synaptopathy. I tried Prednisone 6 days afterwards but it was only 30 mg at max. It hasn't improved and I'm pretty upset that I didn't get a Prednisone injection within 2 or 3 days. I guess I'm going to call my ENT tomorrow and ask him to explain the ABR results to me. Because I've read that ABR scans show differently in people with Hidden Hearing Loss. I guess I'm going to ask him if he can just go ahead and stick the Prednisone in my ears, even though he might not believe that I have hearing loss because my audiograms are normal, and it's probably too late anyway... For some reason I still have hope that it could help but I know its probably unrealistic.
      Anyway, do you guys think it'd be worth it to try HBOT at this stage? It's already been just over 2 weeks so I would hope they have an opening soon, but I would feel silly going through all that trouble just for it to hardly have a chance of helping. I'm just wondering what stage of damage and repair my inner ear's synapses are in. Is it ever possible for hearing damage like this to come back at this stage or is it too late for that? Does anyone know how much HBOT might cost if insurance covers it?

2. Croaker
      Haunting

Croaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry about the hearing changes man. Fixing synaptopathy is next up after hair cells so I wouldn’t despair. As for HBOT it might be a good idea to give your ears another month before you do something that might irritate them again.

3. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Which sound triggered all this?

4. Alex0o_o0
      Confused

Alex0o_o0 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/10/2018 - 04/04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash/concussion - Sound trauma
      My experience with HBOT:

Initial cause tinnitus:
      1. 10/2018 - car accident - bilateral "head tinnitus" (=T1)
      2. 04/04/2020 - Acoustic trauma (cummulative) - unitlateral Left ear (=T2)
      3. late april 2020 - worsening due to prednisone/piracetam - bilateral shifting from L to R (=T3)
      Treatment description:
      Marx schedule: 2,4 ata and 90 mins of 100% oxygen. The measured partial oxygen pressure was in the range of 980 to 1280 mg. -> copied this directly from the description of I received.
      Total duration of dive: 2,5 hrs (incl. 15 mins descent + 15 mins ascent)
      HBO chamber: tank for 12 people
      Medical evaluation: before and after every session ears were check on signs of barotrauma with otoscope (no signs of barotraume detected in my ears).
      HBOT itself is not loud, i think max 70/75 dBs + I was allowed to wear hearing protection all the time except during the ascent and descent.

Start HBOT treatment :
      Session 1: 15/05/2020
      • During Therapy: immidiate sizzling in Left ear immediatly after pressure started to build.
      • After therapy: Slight spike in T2 which subsided, no adverse effect
      Session 2: 16/05/2020
      • During therapy: immidiate sizzling in Left ear immediatly after pressure started to build.
      • After therapy:
        • Slight spike in T2 which subsided,
        • noticed that a new sound was manifsting in Left ear which did not subside during the weekend, but was less intense than the sound I heard during the dive (=T4).
        • morning of the 18th: first time I woke-up without T2, but it was fluctuating very hard in the days before so difficult to say if HBOT had anything to do with it. However, this sadly made me decide to try another session.
      Session 3: 18/05/2020
      • During therapy: immidiate sizzling in Left ear immediatly after pressure started to build.
      • After therapy:
        • Immediatly after: T4 was more profound was closer to the sizzling I heared during therapy
        • Several hours after therapy: suddenly started to hear high pitched random "blinks" -> made me freak out completely and decided to stop the therapy.
        • Two weeks after therarpy: T4 became even more profound and sometimes was completly the same as the sound I heard in the chamber. I also had a painfull feeling in my ear and a feeling of having fluid in my ear.
      Today (09/06/2020)
      - Devoped a popping/crackling + feeling of fluid in in both left and right ear (right ear started only last week friday)
      - Left ear still sizzles on and off, sometimes stops, but no real difference in the last 3 weeks
      - Right ear also started to develop a similar sizling tone as the right ear (=T5!?). It's still less frequent and intens, but I have the impression that it is getting worse every few days.

My conclusion
      • HBOT did not do anything for T1 to -3 and gave me (at least temporarily) T4 & T5 + ETD/barotrauma.
      • I think it's good to be cautious with HBOT if you experience any noise induced directly by the increase in pressure, as this might indicate that you are sensitive to ETD/barotrauma.
      • A spike in your T seems to be a normal side effect and appears to go away for almost everyone.
      -> I'm now left with a multitude of sounds due to TBI, NIHL and ETD/barotrauma :banghead:. Still hoping for T4&5 to go away, but tinnitus seems to have a way of sticking into my ears.
      I will never forget these legendary words of the ENT: "it is not possible that HBOT will make your tinnitus any worse.".

Additional Remark
      I also wanted to share this link, because I wish I would have decided differently to start the HBOT having this information:
      Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy: Effect on Middle Ear and Eustachian Tube Function
      "The results show 15 of the 33 patients (45%) had evidence of eustachian tube dysfunction after treatment was initiated. Of these, 15 (100%) developed the sensation of fullness, 13 (87%) developed serous otitis media, and 7 (47%) required tympanostomy tubes."
      -> So please be aware that the 2/3% ratio of people having an adverse reaction to HBOT they often throw around MIGHT be a gross underestimation.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. leftearguy

leftearguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/10/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I was in the passenger's seat of the car. My friend called on the phone in the car and my friend driving next to me turned up the volume very high at the same time my friend shouted a word. It was possibly the loudest thing I've heard from that distance. My ears felt stuffed for about a week and I felt nauseous and dizzy for hours that day. It was May 23rd. I was on 30 mg of Prednisone for 5 days tapering down over the next 4. Didn't seem to do anything. I'm terrified because I was not proactive at all at getting an injection immediately after the sound.
      I guess what I'm wondering is if this kind of oxygen therapy could literally help my ear nerves regrow? I hope the window is a couple months like some people seem to think it is. The study below says that the Ganglion cells last for months to ears. I wonder if sending that much oxygen to the brain would actually trigger the regrowth of theses synapses and nerve fibers. It seems very plausible to me, but it's so disheartening to have no doctors to talk to about it because the research is so new.
      I do wonder about the risks of Barotrauma though. I really wish I was looking into HBOT and prednisone injections a week or a week and a half ago. It's now been 17 days since the event and I practicially just realized how long it's really been. I don't know what I was thinking, not looking into these solutions sooner. Does anyone think I should go ahead and rush to get HBOT? I would have to pay out of pocket and have my insurance compensate me afterwards. I just feel so stuck and I don't know what my next steps should be or if I should just give up and live with my distorted hearing.
      This kind of thing gives me hope though.
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4842978/
      Unless I'm missing something it seems like they can literally just stick NT3 and BDNF into Mice's ears and regenerate their cochlear synapses. There's Pipeline Therapeutics medication that's being trialed now and I think I read somewhere that they're trying NT3 and BDNF of humans as well. It honestly seems possible to me that within the next few years I could find some doctor who'll agree to stick that stuff into my ears and I think it could really work. I know it sounds far fetched but so little is known about the ears anyway. I truly believe that these nerves and things are able to grow back using chemicals that are already produced in the brain.

6. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That's pretty bad because sounds inside a car sound amplified.

7. leftearguy

leftearguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/10/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah it was actually insanely loud. I've been hoping for two weeks that my hearing would get better but it never has. My brain just has a harder time latching onto noises. Even when people are speaking in silence it sounds like background noise in a way if that makes sense. I've been having to strain to understand people and listen to things. It's like if I'm not constantly trying to listen for things, my brain just feels silent. Like background noise doesn't enter my brain in the same way unless I look for it. And even when I do it's hard for me brain to latch on it. Music doesn't click in my ears and brain the same way which is very depressing.

It's likely too late for Prednisone injections isn't it? I just got back from the ENT today who was practically pissed that I came in and said my hearing is fine. It's amazing to me that I can say that I've been exposed to a loud noise and have trouble understanding people when they talk, and the ear doctor will tell me that it's a brain processing issue and that my hearing is perfect. My only hopes right now would be find another ENT to give me steroid injections (unlikely) or to rush and try to get HBOT. Does anyone have any opinions on the timeframe that I'm in and how that relates to if I should bother with HBOT?

8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      Hi @leftearguy -- I experienced a similar quandary to yours a little over two years ago. At almost exactly the 2-month mark after tinnitus onset, I started HBOT in a clinical setting at 2.0 ATM, and completed about 10 sessions (expensive). After finishing those sessions, it was unclear whether it had any effect on my tinnitus (though it often spiked it in a minor way for 1-2 hours afterwards). But it was clear to me it had a profoundly calming effect on my brain and nervous system.

Because of the latter, I decided to purchase a home mHBOT unit. My thinking was that even if I didn't get any improvement in my tinnitus and hyperacusis, I would at least be able to consistently be able to calm my brain and nervous system on a regular basis (habituation?). After almost two years of mHBOT (at 1.3 ATM), the results are that I'm still unclear as to whether it has helped my tinnitus, but I have been able to experience a deep calming on a regular basis. I think it's been greatly beneficial in that regard, as any stress in our systems is not going to be good for tinnitus.

My investment in that mHBOT unit was roughly $7,000. Given that resale values are good, I suspect I could turn around and sell it for $5-6K. By my estimates, that equates to several hundred sessions for roughly $1,500, or perhaps $4-5/session. If I had to do it all over again, I would skip the initial 10 sessions, and go directly to an mHBOT unit. I've come to believe that the 1.3 ATM is probably as effective as the 2.0 ATM units, and most likely safer for the ears. I thnk it's also better for the body for anybody contemplating long-term use (which I think everybody should, if for no other reason than as an anti-aging modality).

I asked the person I bought the unit from whether I could get the same benefits from a lesser pressure unit, and she said it's not about the pressure, but the amount of increased oxygen you can get deep into the tissues. She advised me to just do an extra 15 mintues, and that would make up for the lesser pressure. I can't say whether or not that's true, but I suspect it's probably pretty close to being true (based on my experiences with both). Ive also heard that just using an oxygen concentrator even without the pressure of HBOT would also increase tissue oxygen levels.

You described a number of brain symptoms you're experiencing, and from what I can gather, HBOT or mHBOT is one of the best things a person can do for their brain health (which in turn is connected to ear health). I don't know if that would be affordable to you, but you could also consider just an oxygen concentrator (I would hope your doctor would give you a prescription for one). But there are other things to consider as well.

I would definitely look into doing some acupuncture and reflexology to increase nerve energy going into your inner ears. It can be done, though most people are unaware of the concept. It can also be done at little to no cost if you work on yourself (which I do daily). -- You might also want to look at foods that are particularly good for the brain, such as high choline foods like egg yolks, and high omega 3 fatty acids foods like chia seeds. Nervine foods like oatmeal and poppy seeds are also good.

Regarding reflexology, the area on the hand that corresponds to the ears is between the little finger and ring finger. If you massage the inside of the little finger and the immediately adjacent area of the ring finger, you'll likely find them quite tender. Work on them gently over a few days, and that tenderness will work itself out. Some people actually notice an immediate difference in their tinnitus and/or the stress levels in their ears.

To answer your question about whether to go full throttle on getting into some HBOT, based on my own experience and the limited positive results I've read about, it doesn't necessarily feel like an urgen priority to me. I will say however, that I've read that combining HBOT with intermittent fasting can raise stem cells in the body by something like 8-fold after about 40 days. That to me is intriguing, and is what I mostly credit the improvements I've been able to make for myself over the past 2+ years.

I'd say I've gone from a screeching 10+++ on the tinitus scale to more around a consistent 7 or so. Occasionally it will spike to 8-9, but also occasionally when I go for 20+ hours without eating, it'll briefly drop down to a 5 or so. Everytime I can get it to drop like that, it feels like I'm doing a little more deeper healing. In my case, what seems to work for me is "steady as she goes". -- Final thought, I would highly recommend you start taking some turmeric (I prefer it over curcumin) on a regular basis for calming and reducing inflammation.

9. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      I think one of the reasons HBOT is so beneficial is because of it's calming effects. I believe that calming stems in part from its ability to affect the vagus nerve (which orchestrates the body's parasympathetic nervous system, which is what calms the body down). I'm of the belief that literally everybody should learn more about how the vagus nerve affects our health in so many ways.

I think that it's even more imperative for somebody who has tinnitus and/or hyperacusis. There's a several part online video presentation on the vagus nerve that starts soon, and the preliminary excerpts I've seen make me think it's going to be quite good. Here's part of a recent email I received, in case anybody would be interested.

Understand how stress impacts your immunity when you join us at The Mind, Body & The Vagus Nerve Connection Summit!

Because of the demands of modern life and the prevalence of unresolved emotional trauma and lack of ability to handle stress effectively, many people can activate their sympathetic (fight-or-flight) response very readily, but they often struggle to switch it off because of low vagal tone.

This limits the ability to activate the rest-digest-detoxify-heal part of the nervous system, and over time, this leads to chronic inflammation and poor gut function, and consequently, can result in pretty much any chronic disease, including autoimmunity and cancer.

812fdeaf-aa4d-4e26-b5e0-1bafd4ede955.jpg
      The Mind, Body & The Vagus Nerve Connection Summit will discuss:
      • Functions of the vagus nerve
      • The vagus nerve's role in immunity
      • Connection between healthy vagus function and healthy gut and biome
      • Links between infections, mitochondrial and vagus function
      • Boosting function of the vagus nerve
      • And so much more!
      By applying these strategies, you can improve your nervous system and immune system function in a matter of weeks, and take your healing to the next level!

Eva Detko, PhD, MSc, mIAHT, has spent the last few months gathering the right experts, information and protocols to help you understand the importance of toning and strengthening your vagus nerve function for optimal health.

Every day she helps her clients overcome complex health issues by helping them restore their autonomic nervous system balance, which is critical to healing from any chronic condition.

She's here to help you by sharing that wisdom starting June 15-21.

10. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I am sorry about what's happening to you. I am myself a long term sufferer, first from severe hyperacusis, and later with hyperacusis coupled with tinnitus and hearing loss. My hearing kind of fluctuates and I can feel how my ears and brain processing change and fluctuate after the odd noise exposure.

You have to distinguish quality from quantity of input. An audiometric tests measures quantity of input and in this sense the ENT says your fine. OK, there is input coming in. However, your brain does not process the sound in the same way, and that's why you feel like you have to pay constant attention to get what people are saying. This is exactly what's happening to me after so many years with hearing issues. I think this is due to synapses and brain connections that are lost or alters, and to cochlear damage. It is not possible to measure accurately what was damaged and to what extent. The only way you can have an idea of what's going on is taking tests of speech in noise but, again, this does not solve the issue, so it is a bit pointless, since you have anyway detected the problem.

This is how I see the different in perception of sound:

1 - Before hearing problems sound travelled to my brain very fast and "layered", so I could hear several conversations at the same time, and understand them. I could understand overlapping speech in a group discussion, or both the TV and radio at the same time. Apparently not everyone has these abilities, and some people develop them to a greater extent. A comparison would be like sound before hearing issues travelled to my brain through "fiber" and now it travels on an old dial-up Internet connection, if you understand this comparison… It is just the amount of information carried and the speed at which it travels have decreased.

2 - Once you lose the abilities described in 1, your brain may adapt basically looking for the most relevant info on a speech, or the most important words. You may be having trouble understanding because maybe some sound is dampened, or some words are missing, or you cannot follow fast speech… these are mostly brain processing issues and maybe cochlear issues. Even minor cochlear issues can make things difficult if there's an associated brain processing problem.

On the bright side, your ears and brain may adapt and maybe you will feel better in a few weeks. It is indeed a slow process.

11. Darren H

Darren H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @leftearguy, this is only my 2nd post on this whole forum but you and I are are in a very familiar situation. I suffered SSHL in my right ear on May 11th, went to a shitty GP who misdiagnosed me, finally went proper GP on May 18th (rang an ENT) and started 5 day course of Deltacortil, then had my 1st shot on May 28th, day 17. I started HBOT a few days later, 10 days, took a 1 day break after 3rd day as I slightly hurt my good ear. Had 2nd shot half way through HBOT and had final shot this morning, 1 day after end of HBOT. I cannot tell how much my hearing has improved since my last audiogram on 28th (perhaps a bit but hard to tell) but my tinnitus has subsided a quite a bit..but I cannot tell you if it was directly as a result of HBOT, the shots, or time. At the moment my ear sounds like a computer fan/hiss most of the time, the high pitched tone seems to be dying output, I hear it when exposed to any noise above a certain level such as when I talk (guess this is mild H). I'm 25, living in Ireland and the HBOT was covered by my medical insurance. It was at 2.4 ATA 2hr drives approx 90 min of which was O2 intake. If I were you, I'd definitely consider finding an ENT who is willing to give you the shots, and would consider HBOT only to give yourself piece of mind that you've done all you can. My ENT told me this morning that there is still some time for recovery.. for the most part I take what he says with a pinch of salt tbh, I've seen all the studies online (a month's worth of reading) to know that there is still chance of substantial recovery. Remember I didn't get any treatment at all for a full 7 days!! Hoping to fill this community in with more details depending on how the next week goes.

PS, most of my hearing recovered on the 20th.. when this all started I was basically 90% deaf in my right ear, on the Wednesday night, day 3 of oral steroids I didn't realise it at the time but I recovered all of my low tone frequencies and a lot of my mid tone frequencies as seen in the audiogram. I'm not sure how low they were but my guess was moderate / severe. I didn't know at the time I had suffered SSHL, so at that time I didn't realise what was happened but my hearing was returning and my ear was going off like a steam compresser!! Just a note for others who think taking oral steroids on day 7 is too late either.

PM me if you would like any more details, and best of luck with all of this. Its been an extremely stressful time for me, and still is in fact, but this forum and the SSHL groups on Facebook have given me hope. I've taken screenshot of others recovery stories and save them in my camera roll and look at them when I'm feeling down. It helps a lot in the short term.

This is the article that gave me most hope. You should give it a read https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ccr3.510

Attached Files:

12. porcelainblue

porcelainblue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi!

One of the HBOT clinics I called recommended against doing HBOT while on Predisnone for any dosages beyond 10mg. They said that HBOT increases the efficacy of drugs, so it also increases the risk of side effects.

There seems to be such a variety of protocols, whether HBOT is used concurrently with steroids, or after.

What has been your experience? Have you also been advised to start HBOT after tapering Predisnone?

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      What do you think played a major role in your recovery, the steroids, the HBOT, or time...?

14. Falchion

Falchion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hammer drill
      Really interested thread, I'm hoping to get some input from you peeps with experience here.

I got T two weeks ago from working with a hammer drill for just too long. It's a consistent soft buzz with a higher pitched note - more like a tweeter from a speaker or something.

GP got me eardrops for what seemed like an earcanal inflammation. Didn't do anything, Referred me to ENT, which I am due to see this Wednesday (had to make a few phone calls but got it done, damn you corona waiting lists). Also got a hearing test tomorrow.

There's an HBOT clinic here in the Netherlands and they would be able to help me on short notice (starting even next week). The treatment isn't cheap (10 sessions at 145 euro each), but the good news is that I can afford it.

I've also heard this talk of shots and stuff. Basically I'm just curious: what should I ask my ENT for? And what are the risks of doing shots and/or HBOT if my T isn't really that loud? Don't get me wrong, it's really annoying most of the time, but I barely hear it outside or when with friends, or watching TV - I suspect I can get it out of the way with training my attention.

But obviously, if these treatments make it less or even go away, awesome. I just don't want to make it worse.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Darren H

Darren H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm based in Ireland. Unfortunately I did not regain all of my hearing, this is my audiogram from last week. Today is about 70 days post hearing loss onset. For me, any damage done to low and mid frequencies seems to have resolved over the course of about 6 to 8 weeks (majority in 1st 3 weeks). Damage to higher frequencies was more severe and all treatments had little influence on end result unfortunately. The blue line was 1st audiogram taken (day 9, 3 days after oral steroids, 1 day after lots of hearing returned). I am unsure how low I was before this, but feel as if I was probably 70-80 dB drop across the board... hence why I say damage to low and mids was resolvable, high not so much.

In Ireland to use the chamber I went to (only 1 of 2 properly ran by hospital medical staff) I needed an ENT referral. The lady running the chamber said its not available for people with tinnitus, its only available for actual hearing loss... so not sure how this will play out in Netherlands. I am not sure what worked best for me.. I would say oral steroids 7 days after onset had biggest impact on hearing loss and I would say time has had the biggest impact on Tinnitus. As you will have read in many other posts, it takes times for it to pass. That is not to say treatments have not had an influence, they probably have but I cannot decipher which exactly, and I never once did any treatment/take a supplement that had an immediate impact apart from oral steroids but that's because prior to them doing their thing, as you can imagine with a 70 dB across the board my head was roaring. Tinnitus dropped a lot as hearing returned but was still unbelievably loud.

Considering yours is slight, I would be confident it will pass for you. Even with my hearing loss as is, its unbelievably quiet in the mornings and when I'm in a quiet environment, its loudest when I am speaking in a Zoom call in a quiet room but again its ever improving. I have been out to restaurants etc without ear protection and I haven't had any problems. On 1 or 2 occasions upon returning from a busy day it would be loud until I lay down and rest my head/ear... but would eventually return to its baseline.

I am in a somewhat unusual situation compared to many on this site.. I still have Tinnitus but considering its massive improvement the thing I miss most is my hearing. I would love to get it back. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to live with the Tinnitus I currently have only because a) I remember how terribly loud and intrusive it was once was b) the hope it never gets that loud again c) more of my hearing will return naturally in next few months i.e. would love to move from 70 dB to 35-40 dB) SSHL doesn't happen to me again e) eventually, a drug like FX-322 might be able to rescue me.

Lots to be be concerned about but also lots to be grateful for. Treatments will soon be available and as a good friend said to me the last day "I'm still vertical". Best of luck with your treatment. I hope for your sake, your audiogram looks good after the test. All the best.

Attached Files:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. Falchion

Falchion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hammer drill
      Thanks @Darren H. I appreciate your input. As far as I can tell, I don't have any hearing loss (but I will know more tomorrow).

Meanwhile, the clinic says they will take me and it also looks like it might be covered by my insurance. So then the question remains, could it do any damage?

17. Darren H

Darren H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No problem! Well, the 2 main risks are noise induced trauma and barotrauma. The only loud aspect of the chamber for me was the sound the masks make when inhaling oxygen. Luckily for me, for 6 out of 10 treatments I was the only one in the chamber along with the medic, and the final 4 me and one other. It was loud but we had headphones to wear watching a movie. I didnt wear it half the time and experienced no issues, but I didn't have noise induced trauma. Barotrauma happens if you continue to let them lower the depth without fully equalising your ears, so just make you are doing so as you go along and tell them to stop if there's an issue, they'll have no issue with this. Also ensure you don't try to hard to equalize. That's the other risk. If I were you, given your situation, I think the steroids will be plenty help. Not sure if HBOT will be the deciding factor but who knows

18. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      Hi @Falchion -- I did about 10 sessions of clinical HBOT at 2.0 ATM, and several hundred at home mHBOT sessions at 1.3 ATM over the next couple of years. Based on my own experiences, and the limited success I've read about from others doing HBOT for tinnitus, I share @Darren H's hesitancy about whether HBOT will be a deciding factor.

Though HBOT may have marginally at best helped my tinnitus, it did bring a good amount of resiliency into my neurological system, which in turn seems to have helped with my "perception" of tinnitus. It also helped me deeply relax and sleep. So I'd say any benefits from HBOT are more than likely will be more indirect. And the best chance for that seems to me to be ongoing sessions at lower pressures over a long period of time--at MUCH LOWER cost.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Falchion

Falchion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hammer drill
      First of all, I had regular audiogram today and there is no measurable hearing loss. My left ear is slightly better than my affected right ear, but within all parameters of normalcy according to the audiologist.

As for the oxygen treatment, I've asked in the Dutch Facebook group and there doesn't seem to be much response to my question about success with HBOT. I wonder if the clinics just put it on the website in order to draw in some extra customers.

As for cost, it does seem like my insurance will cover it - but I have a 850 euro deduction that I haven't used yet, so I'll have to cough that up. I would happily pay that if I *knew* it would help. I would pay gladly if there were more success stories and there was even a good chance of it helping. It just seems like a very big maybe.

BTW, interesting article about this: https://www.jsomonline.org/articles/0903/2009333Baldwin.pdf

Seems like it can absolutely help, but it's all subjective and there isn't a lot of research.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Falchion

Falchion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hammer drill
      So saw my ENT today, very helpful and open guy. He responded to my entire list of possible treatments.

As for hyperbaric, he said it was something they use for bigger trauma: strong hearing loss, for example. In addition, he said he didn't know of any instances where it actually helped with tinnitus. He actually strongly advised against it, citing a specific case where a patient had insisted on it, he'd referred him (after signing all the legal paperwork that he wasn't liable etc etc) and the patient went on actually needing additional treatment for problems with the pressure in their ears - leaving their tinnitus unsolved entirely.

He prescribed me dexa-something, the prednison lookalike, and an antihistamine. Said he's seem that work far better, far more often.

21. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      @Falchion -- Just a cautionary note: Most antihistiamines are anticholinergic drugs, which can be ototoxic for some people. I myself got tinnitus from a single dose of an anticholinergic drug called Promethazine. I read an account of a man getting tinnitus from one dose of Benadryl. I think it's relatively rare, but it does happen, so thought I'd let you know. I suspect it's more likely to be a problem if a person already has vulnerable ears.

22. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Your ENT is right, there are risks with HBOT. I was one of the unlucky ones who had a bad experience with HBOT and all I had was two sessions. I now have permanent crackling noise with every swallow from my eustachian tubes. It's much louder than my tinnitus. Outside of eating and drinking, you swallow many times during the course of a day. I've seen maybe four ENTs since then and have had zero improvement.

• Informative Informative x 1
    23. Jassiel

Jassiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      Hi all I am 21 days in after noise induced tinnitus. Initially my T was about a 5 on a scale of 1-10, the first 14 days. Now it’s about a 1.5-2. I have been going to a chiropractor and he has also been shooting a laser on my ears. I am a 32 year old healthy male. I don’t drink or smoke. Quit caffeine 20 days ago. I did shoot a 9mm gun about 2 years ago and had ringing but for about 2 hours. I’m thinking of doing HBOT. Has anyone had success with HBOT if done early. I’m in the Bay Area and the price is $300 per session. Might have to start a goFund me since I’m currently unemployed. The ENT’s that I have seen saw no damage to the drum and say to give it 2-3 months but by then this small window for HBOT would have passed. Please comment. Thanks.

24. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic Drug
      @Jassiel -- From everything I've read, and from my own experience, I'd say it's somewhat of a long shot that it would help. I think some acupuncture sessions have a better chance of helping, and are much cheaper. -- All the Best...

25. Jassiel

Jassiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      @Falchion did you move forward with the HBOT? My situation is very similar to yours. Might start HBOT next week but I am not sure how much it would lower my T since today it has been 3 weeks with T due to acoustic trauma. Don’t want to add another symptom just for a bit of T reduction.

26. Jinxy
      Moonlighting

Jinxy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced - Loud Headphones
      Personally, I was never warned about the combination of the two. My ENT prescribed me Prednisone at the exact same time as my second HBOT (5 sessions). I was taking them before each session, daily. No side effects aside from sleepiness, which of course went away fairly quickly.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Falchion

Falchion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hammer drill
      Oops, hadn't checked in a while. Sorry guys.

First of all, what he prescribed was dexamethason and betahistine. Especially the latter I'd heard about before.

I felt like my T was tapering off a bit a few days after the consult, now a week in I gotta say it's worse. My highest tone is more aggressive and persistent and it sucks. Don't have any particular things I could attribute to, I was actually kind of quick-habituating...

I didn't go for the HBOT, as this thread here (if you read back a bit) is a sound warning. Someone tallied up the results and the vast majority of cases had either no effect, or even a negative effect. A few people had positive effects and, as the tally indicated, were more serious cases. Since I would still describe my T as light to moderate, without hearing damage... I don't think I'm taking the chance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    28. sensualmosquito
      Dreaming

sensualmosquito Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      6-8 khz HL, T and H from gunshots
      I did 5 HBOT sessions after my acute acoustic trauma, and it didn't really help with my hearing loss but it seemed to help with my hyperacusis and tinnitus. Who knows, maybe it would be the same without it but I noticed a benefit right after the 3rd session. I wanted to do more but I couldn't afford it. I had no trouble with my ears inside a hard chamber but I know some people do.

• Like Like x 1
    29. matt09

matt09 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      last week
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      explosion
      I'm considering HBOT but feel I must be missing something here? There are three studies noting such cases where barotrauma was so severe that tympanostomy tubes were required. This can lead to all sorts of complications.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1731157/ - "(24%) requiring tympanostomy tubes"

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1288/00005537-199411000-00011 - "53 (21.3%) required tympanostomy tubes."

https://www.otopa.org/uploads/1/0/3/7/103751734/cohn_jason_-_hbot_poster_12.pdf - "23 (28.4%) eventually required tympanotomy tube placement"

If it was really this common then I would expect to be reading about these issues on here, but there are next to no reports on this?

30. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I never had HBOT so take this with a grain of salt. But, logically thinking if your ears are damaged and becomes sensitive, and since HBOT has high pressure difference compared to your inner ear, it might very well negatively impact your ears. You have low pressure in your inner ear (because it's poorly ventilated) and then suddenly you're exposed to high pressure HBOT. Obviously, that's going to concave your ear drum when you're suddenly exposed to it. Do you think that's a good idea? I have no idea how much this can do to your ears.

But I can imagine that if your eardrums are really weak (from infection, rupture ear drums, inflammation etc), then it might do damage to your ear drum. So really, who knows. If you're ready to accept these risks, then it's your own decision. If not, then I wouldn't do it, especially since a lot of people say it's ineffective.

• Like Like x 1