I Need Support. Not Sure How I'm Going to Make It Through This Time.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kayla L, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Kayla L
      Depressed

Kayla L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 13, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/TMJ/Anxiety/Stress
      Looking for support. I keep trying to tell myself it will get better, it always does.. but it just keeps getting harder and harder to deal each time I have a "spike".

I just need some kind words.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      Hi @Kayla L , I hear you, and I sympathise. It's really hard, just getting through everyday is such a struggle at times. Those who do not suffer with T & H just don't get it. It's a hidden disability, and is therefore misunderstood.

I try to think of the positives I have in my life, not easy sometimes but I know there are others who are a lot worse off than I am. I only hope that one day there will be a cure for HL, T and H.

Take care

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @kayla
      Do you have any idea what might have caused the spike? Do you listen to music through headphones or attend places where loud music is played? Please click on the link below and read my articles: Tinnitus, A Personal View and Hyperacusis, As I see it. There information on treatment can coping methods for tinnitus as well as positivity messages included in Tinnitus, A Personal View.

All the best
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Like Like x 1
    4. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's hard, isn't it? :(
      You already know that it will pass, but that doesn't make the wait less uncomfortable... But all you need to do is let time go by. If you do that, then you're doing the best you can. Please do whatever you find relaxing and takes you out of the moment. Sometimes reading this board works for me, other times, I'm better off going for a walk.

Do you have any idea what may have caused the spike?

Hang in there. You're not alone in this. There are better times ahead :)

5. JoyBenz007
      No Mood

JoyBenz007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Kayla,

You're not alone in this, all you need is to find something to take your mind off of it. Go for a walk or maybe listen to some calming music..do you know what may be causing a spike?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kayla L
      Depressed

Kayla L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 13, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/TMJ/Anxiety/Stress
      I really don't have a clue what's causing it.. I got a spike almost 3 months ago and ended up in a Psych hospital outpatient program. I'm on amitriptyline which helps me fall asleep.. Things started getting better for me until a few days ago when I had a set back. Now I'm catastrophizing again. It's a very faint chiming in my right ear but it gets louder when I have TV on or get stressed out.

I recently had poison ivy a few weeks ago.. still recovering but was applying hydrocortisone, calamine and then took prednisone for 2 days. Wondering if that's messing with my emotions.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kayla L
      Depressed

Kayla L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 13, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/TMJ/Anxiety/Stress
      @Michael Leigh Thank you for sending me those posts. I am reading them now. In all your experience and people you've talked to throughout the years, do you have any doubt I will find a better place some day? I just need some reassurance from someone who has a lot of experience in this topic

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Kayla L
      Tinnitus can always improve and my personal experience is evidence of that. Please read my post in "started threads" titled:My experience with tinnitus. I read your first post written in 2015. It seems your tinnitus came on suddenly out of nowhere and you have been seen by ENT doctors. In a later post, you mentioned your tinnitus reduced significantly to the point where you hardly heard it and that's good.

Tinnitus is caused by many things the most common is exposure to loud noise. This is my reason for asking you do you listen to music through headphones or attend places where loud music is played? If your tinnitus isn't caused by an underlying medical problem, the likely cause is exposure to sound. If sound is the cause then Iadvise you not to use headphones even at low volume and use a "sound machine" at night for sound enrichment. It isn't a good idea to sleep in a quiet room as the brain will focus more on the tinnitus and it can appear to be louder. More information is in my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View. You may need the professional help of a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist, whose trained in tinnitus management. Through talk therapy (counselling) a lot can be achieved. More about this is in my article.

I believe your tinnitus can improve. I advise to start with things that you can do yourself. That is using "sound enrichment" during the the day if possible and especially at night. Please don't try to mask or cover-up your tinnitus. The correct way to use sound enrichment is to set the "sound of choice" slightly lower than the tinnitus. Unless your brain can hear the tinnitus habituation can be difficult. Try not using headphones even at low volume and avoid loud noise. If you to go out to places where music might be loud, then use "noise reducing" earplugs. These are not Foam earplugs, which I don't recommend. Also consider seeking the help of Hearing Therapist or Audiologist, trained in tinnitus managment. Have a word with your family doctor/GP if you are feeling stressed. A mild antidepressant and help or you could try: St John's Wort. More is explained in my article. Also read my document: Positivity and Tinnitus, which is in it.

I hope you start to make improvement.
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kayla L
      Depressed

Kayla L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 13, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/TMJ/Anxiety/Stress
      Thank you, @Michael Leigh .. I don't believe it was caused by loud noise. I have allergies, ETD, TMJ etc.. or so the doctors tell me. Was diagnosed with all of these things after my initial T diagnosis. Yes, my tinnitus did get better originally but through the last 2 years I've had many ups and downs, different noises. Some intermittent buzzing noises when I chew or tap my teeth together.. seems to be brought on by stress... I am going to make appointment is Psychiatrist to see about getting on some low dose antidepressant. I take Amitriplyne 25mg now for sleep but it doesn't help with my mood. I really appreciate you reaching out.

10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I hear you @Kayla L and thanks for the information. I feel counselling with a tinnitus therapist would also help you.
      Best of luck
      Michael

11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Kayla L ,
      If you have allergies that can be a big cause of your tinnitus.
      Ask your doctor about a antihistamine called Cinnarazine 15mg it helps allergies and at that dose helps Menieres and reduces tinnitus.
      He could try you on it just during bad spikes for a few days.
      Worth asking about ...
      Love glynis x

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kayla L
      Depressed

Kayla L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 13, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/TMJ/Anxiety/Stress
      Thanks @glynis I'm going to mention this to my Psychiatrist when I finally get an appointment. I think I need something to just take the edge off and help me get through these low times when T is really acting up. When T is not loud I am usually in a pretty good mood but as soon as I have a flare up I feel as though my life is ending/will never be the same/never get better.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kayla L
      Depressed

Kayla L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 13, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/TMJ/Anxiety/Stress
      @billie48 Hi, I read your post and it helped me a lot the first time I had a spike. I'm now on a second spike and I'm wondering if you had any recommendations. Have you ever experienced spikes/set backs? Thanks!

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kayla L
      Depressed

Kayla L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 13, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/TMJ/Anxiety/Stress
      Just recently had a spike in early May. Went to CBT training and upped my amitriptyline to 50-75mg... was feeling better after about 2 weeks, so all through June and most of July. Now I'm feeling like I'm back to square 1.. it's loud again like it was in beginning of May. I keep telling myself it will go back down but it's so hard to keep riding this roller coaster.. 2 + years of T and this is the worst it's ever been

I'm only on 10mg amitriptyline because I was feeling good and weened myself off. Should I go back up??

Thanks for your support and help

15. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I have spikes all the time. I am someone with sleep apnea which can give me oxygen-deprived sleep, and waking up with the 'awakening response' (loud T after a nap due to lack of REM sleep) with an oxygen deprived brain means a very loud T, spiking and resonating in my whole head. I can hear my spikes above the jet noise in flights, and above the raging rapids in the wild salmon rivers I fish. I used to cave in mentally every time these spikes hit me. But after years with this, the brain is hardened to even these spikes and won't react negatively. CBT & Mindfulness teach me many useful techniques and I have some of my own strategies I mention in my success story. The net result is it doesn't matter what T does any given day. I get on with life and get busy regardless of T. It got faded out from consciousness when the brain is busy focused on other things, much like your brain can fade out jet noise (if you don't intend to listen to it) while you were focusing on a movie. The brain has the ability to fade out things it doesn't consider as a threat. It takes time and positive thinking to get there. Couldn't do that when my T was new and my brain was treating it as dead enemy #1, a mortal threat. We need to give the brain time, and practice strategies which will help minimize the significance of T in our life. It can be done.

• Like Like x 2
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kayla L
      Depressed

Kayla L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 13, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/TMJ/Anxiety/Stress
      @billie48 thank you so much for your reply. I am really going to try and stay positive. I am supposed to leave for Cape Cod Friday for a long weekend visiting family and I'm debating whether or not go go due to this recent set back. Do you suggest going? Do you think it will help get my mind off things or should I stay home and rest my ears

17. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Billie, I have sleep apnea, too. I have had it my entire life, I think. Do you use a CPAP? I've never tried one but I'm pursuing the matter.

18. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Yes, I have a Respironic Remstar Plus C-flex CPAP machine. That works miracle to help me get REM sleep. The problem is I have sinus congestion all the time and so sometimes air just doesn't get pumped in sufficient enough to open up the airway of those collapsed/relax muscle and as a result I can wake up like a zombie with oxygen deprived brain. That is the time T would go on super spikes. Lol. If you have sleep apnea, you should get referred to a sleep lab where they would make you stay overnight and sleep there when their machine will record your sleep pattern and will determine how serious is your sleep apnea. By the way, my sleep apnea is at serious level. If you feel like a zombie with drowsiness during the day, you should go for a CPAP machine. It actually helps your heart too besides your brain. If I have a good night with enough REM sleep, T is much tamer than otherwise and I feel fresh and sharp during the day.

• Informative Informative x 1
    19. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      If you don't have a sensitive ear and can take jet noise with earplug or headphone, then why not? Vacation means fun and distraction from T, a time to relax and unwind the body to reduce stress. The less stress the better for T. So I will say it is worth going. But you are the best judge how stable your ears are. Here is a success story posted by Aaron a while back. After the initial suffering, he found joy travelling all over the world. Who cares about T if one can live like that. LOL.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...are-with-you-some-pictures-i-took-after.3268/

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kayla L
      Depressed

Kayla L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 13, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/TMJ/Anxiety/Stress
      @billie48 thanks! Luckly no plane ride, only a 45 minute drive

• Like Like x 1