I Possibly Have a Stress Fracture. I Refuse to Do an MRI.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Taylorslay, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      Idk what I've done to my fibula. But it hurts to walk after walking for a while. And it seems to be getting worse everyday. Right now I am lying down in pain from my leg.

Do mind I have extremely flat feet.

But I'm afraid of the idea of doing an MRI. For obvious reasons (Hyperacusis).

2. IAmCalifornia
      Wishful

IAmCalifornia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      this year
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      i wish i knew
      You should get it checked out asap

not to scare but you want to make sure its nothing big

because last thing you want is for H and T to be the least of your concerns

my advice, get it checked out

hope you feel better

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would like to get it checked and hopefully tomorrow but I don't want to do an MRI or anything that is particularly loud.

I'm not sure if CT scans, X rays or Bone scans are loud. :nailbiting:

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Can't it be seen on an X-ray?

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      X-rays ought to be fast. I don't believe they are too loud, and the sound only lasts for a fraction of a second.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      "X-rays. X-rays provide images of dense structures, such as bone. Since a stress fracture starts as a tiny crack, it is often difficult to see on a first x-ray. The fracture may not be visible until several weeks later when it has actually started to heal. After a few weeks, a type of healing bone called callus may appear around the fracture site. In many cases, this is the point at which the fracture line actually becomes visible in the bone."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/stress-fractures/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20354063

"X-rays. Stress fractures often aren't apparent on regular X-rays taken shortly after your pain begins. It can take several weeks — and sometimes longer than a month — for evidence of stress fractures to show on X-rays."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/stress-fractures/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20354063

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If it doesn't show up on a scan will they at least give me a cast or some kind of tool to hold my bones properly in place while I walk so it doesn't hurt?

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      If you're looking for a bone fracture, a simple x-ray may be good enough (not particularly loud).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      CT and x-Rays are not loud at all from my experience. Ive done several from head to toe and had bad H for a long time. The MRI is loud and usually lasts for 20min, its smart to use or buy some ear plugs for this one :)

10. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      A stress fracture will likely heal on its own. I've had several through out my life. MRI won't do much for bone, and CT scan is way more radiation than you'd want to expose yourself to for a suspected stress fracture. RICE: Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate. They wouldn't want to put a cast on your leg for something like that. When I had stress fractures in several vertebra in my back, I was still allowed full contact participation in sports and running.

11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Taylorslay,
      Get an X-ray done if your doctor feels you need one or urgent care and for now put an ice pack on it for ten minutes and keep it elevated.
      Let us know how it goes!
      love glynis

• Like Like x 2
    12. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I can't see them do an MRI, but x Ray yes it is not loud, but I go prepared and ask the tech, I factored my ball of my foot. They might put you in the boot. Don't wait too long to have it check out.

• Like Like x 1
    13. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Really, they should do a simple x-ray first before ruling in or out any complex, expensive procedure. MRI is batter for soft tissue stuff, while CT does bone better, but a simple, plain film should be first. Of the things you listed, only the MRI is particularly loud.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      ?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Now I think I have a concussion. Womp womp.

I hit my head on a hard table at work. I've been dazed, slow ever since. I was shaky for a few moments, now I'm no longer. I've gotten better from once it happened (3hrs ago) but I still feel a bit dazed and unfocused.

My family doesn't believe I have anything wrong. And maybe I don't but, I feel wack.

• Hug Hug x 2
    16. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This sounds like a dilemma I often find myself in: Wondering if I really did injure myself this time or if it's my anxiety again.

Could you be feeling the effects of anxiety rather than a concussion? Your family knows you hit your head, so if you do show any symptoms of concussion, they will be alert to it. For now, perhaps you can distract yourself from your worries. If your unfocused feeling is caused by anxiety, lowering your anxiety by distracting yourself should make you feel better.

I know how stressful this must be. :huganimation:I get like this ~ a lot. The only thing that helps me is to get distracted. That's the only way to know if something is really wrong or if anxiety is tricking me.

17. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Posted on chat, but you’re likely okay. Check your pupils. Unless you’re blacking out, throwing up, and have the most severe headache of your life (like the kind where you want to curl up on the floor and die) — then you’re likely okay.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taylorslay
      Happy

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would love to think its anxiety. But instantly after I hit my head I became dazed and unfocused. I has anxiety because of that. But because of my lack of focus. The anxiety I had wasn't even that bad. Which is strange.

19. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think @Tinker Bell gave a good description of the symptoms of concussion, so if you're not feeling those symptoms you're probably okay. You did hit your head, so being dazed briefly is likely to be expected.

I've observed with my own health-related anxiety, that once I start paying attention to something I'm worried about, I notice all sorts of troubling sensations. With a mental symptom like lack of focus, it would be even easier to get into a vicious cycle: A brief lack of focus causes anxiety and then anxiety increases the lack of focus which creates more anxiety and so on.

BTW is your leg feeling any better from earlier this week? I hope so.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    20. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
    21. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      I have once had a CT scan about my lungs and I remember it wasn't loud. Just fun! The reason people prefer MRI over a CT scan would be the exposure to an radiation and accuracy. But I too would never have an MRI test.