I'm Losing Hope... Some Support Needed

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi all

I'm losing hope and fast. 3 weeks ago I woke up with a notable increase in the intensity of my tinnitus following playing a piano the night (like an amateur).

It hasn't let up since. I've had spikes before through ibuprofen or sudden noise or just random spikes that last a few minutes but nothing that has clung on for so long.

I'm sleeping my normal amount of hours but waking at 4 am and it screams like mad which in turn plunges me into despair. Then I pull myself together because I have work and I endure this in.

I'm hoping this spike intensity will go do down but as each day passes my home is fading and I find my thoughts are turning dark.

Helpful messages or similar successful spike stories would really help right about now.

Thank you.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I've had spikes calm down after months. You still have time. Just keep away from loud sounds and similar sounds like the pianos as it could be the frequency. Use ear plugs during certain daily activities if you have to.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Were the noise spikes Sean? Mine seems aggravated by a piano although I don't believe I've suffered hearing loss and no other symptoms like fullness in the ear etc.

4. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      yes they were noise spikes. and I myself think I have a sensitivity to piano specifically as well. when I first got slight tinnitus in 2008, it was because I was listing to NIN Ghosts over and over. A very piano heavy album. Then when my tinnitus spiraled out of control in 2015, its was from a concerto at a concert hall with a piano.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      And they went back to baseline? How long did it take? Thanks

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Get a free hearing test done at a local hearing aid store. Even if you have a mild hearing loss, hearing aids can help get rid of some of the noticiability of tinnitus because they amplify ambient sound. Plus, the ones with built in maskers can provide some relief when your ringing starts to bother you. You could ask them to program a demo pair for you to see if it would help.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      • Useful Useful x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I lost count of the number of spikes that I had to live through. All of them ended up being temporary. The longest spike lasted for over three months.

You might find the polls below to be useful:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/poll-how-long-do-your-tinnitus-spikes-usually-last.23110/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/poll-how-long-was-your-longest-spike.22099/

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Now faith is the substance of things hoped for,
      the evidence of things not seen.

Please hang in there.
      This will be a long battle against the T.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      All of my spikes had been induced by noise.

13. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      My own Tinnitus spiked over 4 years ago at 60 decibels, (vocal matched) and has stayed that way ever since, taking with it my life long passion, my art, my skill, my career, my income and my peace and quiet.

One ultra kind soul this week told me that 60 dbs of internal head noise would be something he would experience as a luxury.
      Apparantly he is well respected on here
      - not by me however.
      I needed to remind myself that this is a support forum.

• Hug Hug x 4
    14. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Tinnitus and the ability to cope with it @Jazzer has a lot more to do with how we are able to cope emotionally with the noise than its volume. Something that the ultra kind soul, whom you speak of clearly doesn't understand.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    15. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Incidentally - this aforementioned ‘ultra kind soul’ hadn’t had to lose his career and his wage packet.
      I hope he enjoys spending his disposable income.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Exactly. Some people have no idea what severe intrusive tinnitus can do to a person's life. Unable to work is just one of major disruptive things this condition can do...

• Agree Agree x 3
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sorry to read that. I did too back in the late 90's because of it. Retrained and did something else.

18. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Allen1967 You might want to consider where your D3, B12 and magnesium levels are at. Antioxidants such as alpha-lipoic acid and some vitamin C. It would be hard to say if this any of this would help. It will probably help with damage control.

A small soft pillow under neck when sleeping might help with muscle and nerve stress.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Peppermint

Peppermint Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress and Medication
      How are you doing Allen1967? I am going through ups and downs. I have tinnitus more than 7 years. I had a control of it and lost it a month ago. I recently got T worse due to stress. Plus diagnosed Meniere disease which makes me dizzy very often. I hear high pitch all the time that drives me crazy every single day. I just finished crying to tell you the truth. So you are not alone.

I have been taking Tinnitus formula Ginko Biloba,Zinc&Garlic from tinnitusformula.com
      No salt, No Sugar, close to Glueten Free Diet. Eating many vegetables&
      I gave up on my favorite ice cream.
      Taking B1,B12, magnesium+ many.
      I don’t feel anything is helping me. But it has been a month since my T got higher pitch so I have not givin up on these supplements. Trying to live daily. Don’t think about tomorrow.

Only thing that lift me up is when I read bible. And ask God to help.

I think I am going back to Melatonin. I stopped cause I get to sleep by taking Benadryl....

I read this site and trying many things.

I even try “AudioNotch” a little but I need to stick with it.
      I have an appointment for famous dr. in November. He is supposed to be good at sound therapy.
      And I listen Cricket sounds all day!

Don’t give up.
      You are not alone.
      Trying many things keep me going. I can let you what which one works for me.

• Like Like x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sorry to read of your struggles, you too are not alone in this.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm so low at the moment I just want it to end. All of it. The fight has gone out of me, the desire to live has gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I know how you must be feeling. I've been there myself.

Please give it time. A year or two from now, it might be quieter, or you might not have as much of a reaction to it. If that doesn't happen, Then you might want contemplate what you are contemplating now...

• Like Like x 1
    23. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Nothing pisses me off more than when someone makes tinnitus into a pissing contest. :mad:

Don't listen to him @Jazzer . If he is american, we can just chalk it up to him just being an idiot. :p

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    24. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Agreed Jack.
      That comment was nothing short of hateful.

• Hug Hug x 2
    25. Peppermint

Peppermint Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress and Medication
      Allen1967
      I am too. But you can’t give up.
      Antidepressants freaked me out so I am not taking it. I feel like there is no break.
      I have CT scan appointment and probably Doc will do GI camera cause I am losing weight so much( I think it’s from stress) Now everybody is worried about me and thinking I have cancer or something.
      Have you taking any medication?
      I am taking Dyazide for Meniere disease plus Melatonin to sleep and Clariton to clear my stuffy nose. Not much help but Dyazide helped me from dizziness.

I am doing Audio Notch.
      I am going to try everything. Trust me the high pitch sound is all day all night. I cry almost every day. But I am not going to give up. We can find something just one hope. One little hope will bring you peace just a day to go by. Breath and try again tomorrow. That’s what I do now.
      And I am with you on this hell of journey. I believe it is going to be better slowly.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm back to feeling this way.

The noise in my head is unrelenting. I wake up in the middle of the night and as my consciousness returns so does the noise and the pit of my stomach sinks.

Each day is just a battle to get through it as I struggle with my distress and my attempts to talk myself around whilst as each hour passes the noise gets louder.

If I were dead I would no longer live like this.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I totally understand. I am done. I am so scared of what is next but I will rationalize it until I can accept it.

I cannot sleep. It is not settling down this time. I live in a prison. I can't move because I am poor. I am not working because of this. There is no cure so I can't cope any more.

I am glad to have met you all. You are good people and if there is something after death, I don't understand why this would happen. That is why I don't want to contemplate this stuff because it's so depressing.

• Hug Hug x 2