Increased Tinnitus After Flight

Discussion in 'Support' started by Fangen, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Hello guys!

Two weeks ago I made a post regarding precautions around flights.
      I got home 1,5 week ago and noticed that my T have increased in volume since I got home.

During flight I used ear plugs and NC headphones (I never used NC before and only used it during flights, no music at all) and it seemed to cancel a lot of the engine sound out.
      I was at a work conference so the volume of all the people gathering together at dinners etc was quite loud, hitting 75-80 db, I used ear plugs the whole time of course. A lot of times where we had optional events I would go back to my room to avoid the loud noises in the bar etc. So I really took care of my ears to not get exposed when not needed to. However, I couldn't escape everything and my ears did have to sit through a few hours everyday with loud noises.

I cannot understand why my T have increased, I didn't use headphones to listen to music, try to avoid loud places when I could and had my earplugs in when it was loud and protected my ears during flights. The only thing I can think about is that I didn't use my NC headphones too much on the way back since it emitted a really annoying high pitch sound, I guess it was just a mix of my own T amped up by the faint noise in the headphones) but still had my ear plugs in. It was not loud enough to make me anxious (I usually are easily).

Maybe I didn't have my plugs fitted perfectly? It is the same that I use everyday and I think they work fine and have not had any problem with them so far.

Maybe I am just grasping after explanation, but I don't know why it is louder? Worst is in the mornings since I think about it a lot, during the day I tend to forget about it but it is still clear that the T is louder.

Is it just temporary? I have had some sore back and neck pain on and off, got a massage yesterday to try to relieve it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Air pressure changes can cause PERMANENT damage...

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had no problem with my ears popping or so, I had my ear pressure plugs on me on the flight there, but I didn't use them on the way back since they were sitting very weird and seemed they were too big so they didn't fit as they should have. I can't remember if I had them on ascent and didn't put them back on when we landed.. No problem with the pressure, didn't feel my ear getting muffled or having to pop them at all. No pain either.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? :(

5. IreneO
      Procrastinating

IreneO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 (mild), 03/15 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head trauma, then acoustic trauma, then more acoustic trauma
      Hi @Fangen , I had a spike after a flight in October ... It was pretty bad for 6 weeks but it's a lot better now. I had a cold at the time, which didn't help. I'm guessing yours will settle down too, just give it time and try not to worry.

6. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      The key is *not* to think about it and just go along with your life. The best antidote to tinnitus is distraction!

7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I had the same thing in one of my flights with a bad cold and congested sinus and nose. T was higher for a week. Then it came back to baseline. My advise is like Irene, give it time. and don't stress out because of it, as anxiety and anxiety can flare up T. God bless.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @IreneO @billie48

Thank you for the kind words, however I have no cold or sinus issues at the time (prior or after) the flight, so I cannot see any reason why it is flaring up like this. I guess being worried is no help, I tend to look after the "cause" of things to try to avoid it next time. Sometimes there is no cause or any logic, and I think it is hard for my anxious self to accept that.