Introduction

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by John_t, Oct 19, 2017.

1. John_t

John_t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/30/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      I've had tinnitus since November of 2012 (I was 37). It is a hissing or a high pitched static type sound. It started right after a panic/anxiety attack.

Being a calm and collected person, it was first time ever for me. I don't want to bore anyone with details, but it included sharp chest pain, sudden tingling all over body, and very unusual headache - the type that I'd never had before. It was a stressful time in general and with all these physical symptoms, I was 100% convinced that something horrible had started to happen to my body.

A couple of days after that ER visit, the tinnitus started. A second panic attack followed a couple of weeks after, with the tinnitus being a constant reminder that something was wrong. After 6 months of very low dose Celexa, things went back to normal, but not the tinnitus. Hearing tests came out normal. Brain MRI was normal. I've lived with tinnitus since then. I learned to completely tune it out during the day. It is always apparent in bed - morning and night. And it becomes more prominent when I don't feel well (cold, headache, etc.).

I just learned to live with it. It was probably (hopefully) caused by extreme stress at the time. Although doctors say that it is not usually a symptom of anxiety/panic attacks. Who knows. It's there to stay and hopefully not a symptom of something really bad. That's what I convinced myself of anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello @John_t , and welcome.

Then we are clearly speaking to different doctors. Both my General Practitioner and my ENT both stated that tinnitus can be caused by stress and anxiety, and can also be exacerbated by it.

And, the "sharp chest pain, sudden tingling all over body, and very unusual headache" can also be caused by stress and anxiety. Again, at least for me, this was the the conclusion from multiple doctors over the years when I exhibited those symptoms, and sought treatment from doctors, cardiologist, etc..

Everything you have mentioned (symptoms) I have experienced and have been attributed to stress, anxiety, and depression.

That is great to hear. While the elimination of the tinnitus is, clearly, the desired outcome, the fact that you have learned to cope and "live with it" is still hopeful. I appreciate you sharing your story and I hope others who visit this forum will read that and it will help they realize that they will be be able to learn to cope as well.

I wish you luck, please keep us updated on any progress you make.

3. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Welcome and that's a very uplifting story you've presented here. I like the fact that you're not downplaying the fact that you still have some important issues to deal with, but it's obviously not a major problem anymore, because you learned to handle it and keep it from creating excessive stress and anxiety. Stick around, the site can always use folks who have come to terms with this sometimes dreaded condition.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John_t

John_t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/30/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      Thank you for the encouraging comments. It is good to hear that there are people who have spoken with doctors about the stress/anxiety - tinnitus connection. The psychotherapist who prescribed the Celexa for me had told me that tinnitus was not typically related to stress or anxiety. A CBT therapist that I went to for a few sessions (as per recommendations at the time) said the same thing. The CBT was completely useless by the way, I feel like I provided therapy for my CBT therapist, not the other way around. One of the two ENT doctors said that there could be a connection between stress and tinnitus. I'd be curious to comb through this site further to learn about people who had a similar introduction to tinnitus (stress/anxiety).

In my particular situation, life going back to "normal" as much as possible was probably the most helpful thing. Spending the day dealing with work, kids, etc. is a good thing. Despite the lasting tinnitus, I am thankful that it was indeed not a cardiac event, not a brain tumor, not MS, etc. I wish all the people afflicted with tinnitus patience, good luck, and the opportunity to turn their life back to normal again somehow.