Is It Safe to Go to the Cinema?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jcb, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Foam earplugs for the cinema are overkill. They will totally muffle everything as well as making dialogue hard to follow, if at all. Filtered earplugs of any kind are far more suitable. That is of course, unless you live in a country where cinemas are ridiculously loud.

2. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Does anyone have any experience of the Vue cinema in the printworks in Manchester? As iv just found out the Odeon is closed and Vue have taken over and iv never been to a Vue cinema before?

3. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Forgot to say I am not fond of foam earplugs and am going to talk to my audiologist first but am still keeping the ones in the above link in mind.

4. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Ok so , I know you all have already said that I should be fine but I'm still worried incase my T goes louder permanently, has anyone on the fourm been to the cinema and the there T has gone worser permanently?

It took months for me to get were I am now we're I hardly hear it and I don't want to undo all that. I think it also doesn't help that it spiked last night and am not sure why , I can only think of tow things that were different, I had a glass of cola which I forgot had caffeine in and I know caffeine spikes it or my sister was watching iron man 3 in the living froo last night and she had it on loud but It did not bother me when I was watching until I noticed when I went to bed that my T was louder in my left ear only, so not sure.

5. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      And I'm not sure it's the cola as I still have the spike this morning which I thought if it was the cola it would be out my system now so I'm starting to think it was watching iron man 3 which was loud but as I say I didn't think it was loud until I came to bed and my T was louder in my left ear.

6. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Now I'm not as tired I'm starting tp realize my T is not louder it's a new sound in my left ear only:facepalm:, I have no idea why I have this new sound:banghead:

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      I’ve only been once since I had T and I was fine and used ear reducing plugs, but I wouldn’t take my word for it..... everybody is different, I think it may be best to leave it for a while as it sounds like your overthinking it (which is normal) and if you do go the cinema you may then make yourself more anxious in thinking you’re going to get another spike and then that alone will give you a spike... if that make sense haha it’s a vicious cycle.
      If you do decide to go take some good plugs and if you get too uncomfortable with the noise just leave, no need in taking chances of increasing your T.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks JCB , iv only started rethinking since the spike last night before the spike I was set on going, I just wish I knew what was causing my T as I don't think it's noise induced as if never vbee to a club in my life and iv never been to any live events either the only loud place I go is the cinema ( before T) but I only go like once a year as most films I'm happy to wait til DVD release. The only other thing I was exposed to every day was my hairdryer I would dry my hair everyday and it would take an hour so not sure if you can get T from using a hairdehai everyday but since T I stopped using a hairdryer.

My audiologist I spoke to said he's unsure what's causing my T that's why I'm seeing a ENT but he said he's never know of anyone getting it from simply using a hairdryer and he feels it's not noise induced as like I say I never have been to live events or clubs ect and don't work in a noisy job. So he feels that it was my cold that caused it as it started when I had a cold and he thinks that because I'm always congested that could be why I still have T. He said I should be fine he said he would only advise those who's T was caused by noise induced to be cafefca with going to the cinema but in my case he feels I'm fine.

Insuppose I just would feel better if anyone can tell me do you think my audiologist is right that I have 0% of it being caused by noise since I have never gone to live events or clubs, don't work in a noisy surrounding and the only loud thing I was exposed to was a hairdryer everyday which he said it's not possible to get T from just a hairdryer? And my T stated on day 3 of a bad cold I had?

9. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Do you think it might be better to start a new thread about what he said about the whole hairdryer thing?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m far from a expert on this haha but I’m similar to you as in im not 100% sure what caused my T, it started when I had a bad cold and chest infection and a few days later my ear was ringing. The Doctors I’ve seen have said similar to you that’s it’s to do with congestion (but I’m still sceptical about tha) Im waiting on a ENT appointment to see if they can shed any light on this but not holding my breath.
      I highly doubt the hairdryer caused it.... do you listen to music via earphones?
      Have you tried antihistamines to see if that calms down the congestion incase you have alligies? I know fluid can stay in the ears for a good few months. Do your ears pop randomly?
      If you do go the cinema just make sure you have ear plugs just incase and put a DCB measuring app on your phone just to get an estimate of how loud the film is and as I said previously if you feel uncomfortable just leave.
      Wish I could be more help to you.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes you could.... there no harm is asking, there’s more knowledgeable people than me on here haha but I doubt that would cause T.

12. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I'm talking citrazine antihistamine ( I think that's how you spell it) as I'm allergic to mold spores and suffer all year long but am fine as long as I take one a day, I don't listen to music in earphones or headphones and never have as I hate things in my ears or on my ears that's why I can't wear hats or ear muffs ;). I listen to music from my iPad without ear\head phones but keep the level low.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That’s good then haha I can’t see any harm in that especially at a low level. I wonder if it is to do with fluid in your ear? Its the not knowing what caused it which is annoying as hell (obviously the T as well) haha

14. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Year I hate not knowing , I actually always been congested even as a kid and I tried dozens of different prescriptions from my GP for Dr congestions and nasal sprays and they do nothing for me, iv never been able to breath through my nose at night and I hate getting colds as I'm already congested being congested is all iv iv ever know but with a cold most of the time I litralite can't breath and no anouna of blowing helps:dohanimation:

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That sounds not nice at all, have you got polyps in your nose or throat? Have you tried steaming your face with vix or something similar?

16. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold

Tried steaming, and nothing , tried fix nothing, I am hoping the ENT can help as even though being congested is normal for me I was even heavily congested as a baby, I know it's not normal though so am hoping the ENT can shed some light on that and my Tinnitus,

I also done another thread about the hairdryer thing, hoping more people will see it:).

My mom thinks that I should go see infinity war as she said I'm just overthinking things and clearly people on here go to the cinema and are fine and she thinks I will be fine to as long as I have my plugs. She said in her opinion I'm letting my T win by not going and that life is for living:)

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hopefully they will be able to help and give you an answer about your congestion.
      As i said I can’t see the hairdryer causing T, but you never now just wear plugs next time you use it.
      That’s the next film I’m going to see Infinity War, actually looks amazing :)
      If you have some good noise reducing plugs I’d wear them if you decide to go the cinema, download a DCB app on your phone and you can keep track of the decibels of the film and you feel it’s too loud or you get uncomfortable just leave. I can’t tell you what to do but I agree with your mum you can’t let T take over your life.... just make adjustments in your life it’s always good to be prepared,make sure you have plugs with you all the time incase you need them especially if you think you’re going somewhere that may be loud.

18. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks , iv had a lot of advice on my other thread and they all say the same it's unlikely the hairdryer and most likely the cold. My audiologist said to put earplugs and earmuffs on for the trailers and ads as there always louder than the film's but he said I should be fine as well, I think I need to just stop over thinking things plus it looks like it was the cola and watching and action film before bed that spiked my T which luckily has gone to Normal now, my sister had the film at volume 18-19 last night which must uhav been to loud for my T, were if just watched captain America winter solider and I put the volume at 11 and my T is fine, 11 is what I have it at when I watching tb which never bothers my T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
    20. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Everytime I watch the trailer it screams you have to goooooo:p:LOL:

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes I agree it probably didn’t, if the volumes too loud on the TV tell your sister to lower it haha
      I’m sure you will be fine I use alpine party plugs and they let you hear the film just fine, I was going to say the trailers are always louder than the actuall film as well. I liked the winter solider.
      Just try and not over think things which I know is easier said than done, just keep your plugs on you and be sensible around noises and you should be fine.
      I’ve seen the trailer a few times haha but thank you very much for linking it that was very nice of you.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ha ha ha yup it does indeed.

23. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Iv watched it a hundred times at least , I use to read the comics as a kid and I am so excited that thanos is finally the Villan, god bless the avengers and guardians ;)

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’ve never read a comic but I really enjoy the films, really enjoyed the last Thor and Black Panther and love Guardians of the Galaxy

25. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I loved both guardian movies, not seen black panther yet , I'm saving my ears for infinity war as if waited 10yrs for this film and thanos is one of my fave characters, one of the film's that surprised me was DR strange I wasn't a fan of DR strange in the comics but as soon as I found out cumberbatch was playing him I was on board:LOL::love:, I love cumberbatch and I love him in Sherlock my friends always tease me that I'm a female Sherlock as when watching a crime drama like Vera, Shetland, Sherlock , Marple ect I figure it out within 10-20mins who the killer is.:)

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I enjoyed doctor strange as well, was a bit trippy but enjoyable. I’ve never watched Sherlock but I’ve seen Vera and really enjoyed that. I’m awful at guessing who the killer is :ROFL: I always guess completely wrong :bag:

27. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Hi, I'm with @Ed209 on this. I had Hyperacusis when it all started, so I used to wear my plugs all the time during movies. It got gradually better and I started to take them off to have popcorn during "quiet" scenes, or not wear them if I was going to see a drama or something like that.

Nowadays I carry my plugs around, but if it isn't that loud I know I'll be ok. I wore them to watch Black Panther, but I was in an Imax Theater.

If it makes you more ate ease, you can measure the Db around you with a smartphone app.

Best,
      Zug

28. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Sherlock's giog but it can confuse some people;), Vera is my absolute favourite and Shetland is by the same woman who writes Vera, last one of Shetland on tomorrow can't wait, I'm pretty rubbish academic things like maths ect but I enjoy problem solving and am really good at it, I also am good at reading body language and can tell if someone is lying or hiding something , my family and friends keep saying I should be a detective but I'm happy in pysiotherapy:LOL:

Aug, thanks , I am really glad I joined here as if had a lot of good advice and everyone on here and my mom and audiologist is right I'm going to see infinity war and not let my T rule my life:)

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Everybody has their strengths and problem solving a really good one to have (I’m awful at maths as well btw) I’ll give sheltland a look at as well if it’s by the same writer as Vera is really good.
      That’s good then, just have your plugs with you should be fine and hopefully the film will live up to the hype.

30. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Shetland is on tonight at 9pm on bbc 1 last in the seriss but you can probably get it on BBC iplayer.

From the trailers I think it will become the the hype , infinity war seems to be takeing over the world, it's already beaten black panther in pre sales.

• Agree Agree x 1