Is It Silly to Avoid All Noises Over 85 dB?

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Feb 12, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      As that's what I've been trying to do. When I'm driving, the db can be anywhere from 80-90db which worries me!

However, doing some research on the guidelines, shouldn't we just try to stick by those?

For example:

85db - 8 hours
      88db - 4 hours
      91db - 2 hours
      94db 1 hour
      97db - 30 mins

etc.

Or do we have to take extra care with our ears. Mine is from a concert mixed with anti-biotics.

It's probably very dependent on the person, but I can't seem to put a finger on what makes mine spike. At the moment it's horrible and I really hope it goes back down again. :( Every time it spikes I just worry which makes it worse!

• Like Like x 2
    2. Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      I have a feeling that if I was exposed to 85 db for eight hours straight I would be in a psych ward!! Maybe its better to think of t ears as compromised and that these thresholds that apply to normal ears are lowered for t affected ears. This is not it seems the common view among people who work with ears though. If any other part of me is "injured", then normal amounts of what that area can do/take are lowered (eg) you wouldn't be advised to run with most sore knees or lift something even remotely heavy with a sore back, but ears don't need pampering under 85 decibels (maybe they don't, after all im no ear student)

3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes it is silly. It just causes needless worrying and anxiety. If it something or somewhere gets too loud, move to somewhere quieter and/or carry around some good quality ear plugs. Spikes are usually temporary and settle down in time.

• Agree Agree x 4
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Erik, that's what I thought.

The only time you will cause permanent damage is surely something which would have caused you T in the first place? Say a concert like my self at 110db+ for a period of time.

I guess this means that you can still do the things you do in life, such as concerts and the cinema, if you wear ear plugs.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can see your point and I was thinking the same. However, even if we say half these guidelines, that's still 85db for 4 hours which is a long time! Also consider that these guidelines are simply guidelines and that I'm sure many ears will last longer than 8 hours at 85db and experience no damage at all! Although I guess it's another case of it varies between each person.

6. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes, I did plenty of standing next to speakers or going to loud concerts back in the day. I was even a DJ for several years at local clubs. I didn't know anything about tinnitus then. I knew about hearing loss but as a youngster you think that only happens when you get old.....ah, if I only knew then what I know now

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I thought the same, I used to love bass and bought plenty of big speakers. I always thought 'Ahh I'll just be a bit hard of hearing, it won't be the end of the world'. If only I knew about tinnitus I would have worn ear plugs from the start at gigs. My girlfriend is going to a gig soon and I keep begging her to take ear plugs, she won't listen though. I'm worried she will get bad tinntius, as she sometimes complains about noises but I'm not sure if it's to make me feel less alone or what!

8. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yup I hear you! People are oblivious to these warnings or words of advice about protecting your ears. Because T is an invisible condition, it is hard to relate to and until you experience tinnitus first hand you really have no idea what it like. Unfortunately, by then it is too late!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Couldn't agree more!

10. Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      @geg1992 your gf complaining bout noises is her polite way of saying you snore!! just joking

• Funny Funny x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Haha! It's actually when we're not together she's complained! :)

12. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Years ago I read that sounds louder than a vacuum sweeper should be avoided. I've followed that rule for decades and have only a slight increase in my T.

• Useful Useful x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Even with earplugs?

Isn't a vacuum only 75db? My biggest fear is making it worse.

14. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I don't know exactly what a vacuum is. Although we had one at work that screamed - it was too loud. Right, you don't want to make it worse. Read my post, "Mega T."

15. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Just my opinion, from personal experience: You can get way, way over-focused on avoiding noise and measuring noise levels. For starters, the db meters you get on smart phones aren't very accurate and chances are good you aren't going to cart around a professional decibel meter with you. And, as @erik said, it just adds to your anxiety. Trying to live in a sound-proof cocoon isn't to help your tinnitus but it will negatively impact your life.

Common sense and a good set of ear plugs that you take everywhere are better tools than a db meter. If you have to raise your voice to have a conversation or if the sound feels annoying, put in the plugs. And don't do the obvious, like stand in front of speakers.

PS: However loud a vacuum is... my ears hate that pitch and sound. So I don't need to measure it. When I clean house, I wear ear muffs.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I decided to start riding again (motorcycle) in September--I use ear plugs and a new helmet that covers my ears. I can't stop living--something I did for months. I stayed home--except for work--and was a miserable person. I'd always been so active--riding, running, socializing --for a few months after onset, I was a basket case. Then one day I decided to take my life back after reading of other's successes--I read them here. I also drive an f350 turbo diesel dually which makes a lot of noise. I can't avoid loud noises and live...I can only provide the best ear protection and be reasonable. I have tinnitus and sometimes it is a pain in the ass but mostly, anymore, it's just an annoyance--it's not life or death.

The standard rule that I learned here is if you have to raise your voice to speak to someone standing next to you--then it's time to use ear protection or leave. When doing anything that involves louder than normal noises--motorcycling, vacuuming, mowing the lawn, etc., wear ear protection.

• Like Like x 2
    17. Lee Davis

Lee Davis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      I've had this on my mind lately as well. Using my decibel meter on my phone I get over 80 db in my car, too. If I turn on the radio at all it goes above that. I've actually started wearing earplugs while I drive as an experiment, and then turn the radio up louder than I normally would have, since the plugs are lowering the volume of everything else, car, traffic etc. In reality I doubt I'll keep that up, but something I would consider for longer drives for sure.

18. Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I don't think it would be silly, I am avoiding loud noises and wearing cotton balls everytime I step out of the house. I live in a really loud city so :/

19. Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      My hoover definitely needs to be replaced, smart phone says its 80 decibels but to me it sounds like 90. I would not want to be standing next to it for 8 hours. I don't think there is one fit for all ears, some ears are more sensitive etc, I think the right advice as we get to know our t ears it that if it sounds too loud it probably is. Anything louder than a hoover sounds about right though.

20. CarolinaGuy
      Wishful

CarolinaGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely ototoxicity
      You guys really think we T sufferers should be wearing plugs while driving our cars? I did it at first, but I have not been plugging my ears while driving for more than a month now.

21. Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      I really don't think that type of noise is that damaging to ears, it doesn't usually spike up too much and is a more or less a constant thing which are ears can adjust to, but then again if you believe the advice even this noise can eventually affect hearing so it would be no harm to pop on some ear defenders just now and then to give the ears a rest

22. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Hey guys. What about SUDDEN blast, like the slamming doors? And how does it work with the sound and the distance? Today my boyfriend was angry so he hit the entrance door with all the energy he had. The door is' made of metal mostly i believe and the blast lasted a second. What's more I was in the room, so let's say around 2 m from it and partly behind the wall. What I imagine however is that with each blast like this I lose new hair cells forever and the chances to recover diminish.i've had t for 8 weeks now, i had a significant improvement lately and I'm still hoping it will resolve. I avoid 1ny loud noise I can. I stopped many things from hair drier to concerts and then this kind of blast appears and I'm all miserable. Please explain me how does it work? If I wasn't right next to this door but I still heard like it was very loud, could it damage my hearing anyhow? How loud can a blast of the loudest door be? I mean decibels? I've gone through countless websites about sounds and hearing but they are never precise enough. they don't consider the distance from the source of noise, for instance. I imagine a door blast can't be as loud as an explosion, which is always given as an example of what can damage the hearing instantly. this kind of dilemas follow me every day, but sometimes they particularly bother me and tonight is one of these times. Are our ears made to stand loud noises too or anything loud damages them in some way? I was doing so well today, the T was so calm I could hardly hear it. It didn't rise after the blast, however 2 hours later I could feel a small spike, but my T c1n change coume up to 5 times a day. Only today I feel like it wouldn't have if it wasn't for the blast and my anxiety about what it did to my hair cells. Please explain to'me how'it works cause for now I'm really pissed with my bf

23. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I dont think is true, of course it would be ideal to avoid these unexpected noises but ive been hit with a ton, and so have many others but it doesn't mean that you have done any permeant damage to yourself. Some people believe that the ears are damaged and more susceptible to damage, im not sure how true that is. Maybe to some degree, but again i dont think you did any permanent damage. I have been hit by loud speakers, and sirens and fire works, and my tinnitus seems to have been unaffected.

24. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      @cullenbohannon , thank you for your reply. My reason says I could't do the damage, but I would really be glad if sb could explain almost scientifically (or lead me to as source explaining ) what causes and what doesn't cause the demage taking the sound' distance and time of exposure into consideration. Since I already have some hearing loss, I obsesiveley want to avoid any more of it. Of course, my bf didn't get any ronging after slamming this blasted door and he was right in front of it. If I could get a certain info once for all that would make my life much easier cause for now each time I go out I get stresses at least a few times because sb used a car honk next to me or not far or because sb whistled or , like today, because the doors slammed really loud. Eh...

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If T has gotten under your skin, there's a fair chance you'll obsess about it, even if you're told by others and yourself to let go of it. All I'm saying is that if a situation bothers you, get yourself a strategy, and after that you can hopefully move on. When it comes to car driving, I'd consider bose noice cancellation head phones. They probably only offer half decent protection, but when you drive that should be enough, and you won't have to worry about any occlusion effect with regards to the vibration from the wheels. Also, make sure that you're actually able to hear the traffic noise around you well enough to be a safe driver. If that's the case, the problem should be solved. Overprotection? Yeah, probably. But what does it matter?

• Like Like x 1
    26. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      Just an FYI. I've been driving while pretty deaf most of my life. On a motorcycle, I cannot wear my cochlear implant when I ride my motorcycle (if I fall, it's a huge expense), so I'm totally deaf. I'm aware of traffic around me and on my bike, the cars that miss hitting me. I have not been hit by emergency vehicles. Be aware, watch the sound levels for sure, and you'll be okay.

• Like Like x 1