Jazzer’s Videos

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jazzer, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Deal... give me some time, I will need to take my pictures into town, get them scanned, put onto a USB and then to the Internet cafe. I'm not technologically advanced at home here in Laos. I want to and will share with you my friend. I also built a two story house from the foundations up to the roof with my own hands. It has built in planters with hanging plants, relief sculptures in some walls, a wicked cool loft space for the kids, and is slowly finishing up after six years, working after my teaching gig, weekends, etc. I've got my photos of bronzes back in Boston, I even have some beautiful photos of my three boys, and my beautiful wife. Give me some time...I am actually a Luddite by choice, truly, and because of tinnitus found myself on the World Wide Web searching for answers. So be patient. I will deliver. The only reason I don't have an avatar is because I'm on my sons tablet and you can't copy and paste with it, or at least it won't let me do stuff like a normal computer. That's a rap....and again, super impressed with your career maestro. C u around friend.

P.S. you would really dig Laos. Been here for maybe 14 years, will have to count properly, but around that time now. A real contrast to my life lived primarily in Boston and then London. That's another story for another time, maybe you could google, Luangprahbang, Vangvieng, and my home in the capital Vientiane. It's interesting. My country also dropped more bombs on Laos than in all of WW2 and were never at war with Laos. They were trying to get the Hochimin Trail, and would just dump everything before landing. Little kids still get their legs blown off in the countryside. Just another part of the picture. Orange robed monks walk down the streets every morning collecting offerings, rice and food, from folks like my wife. Like you, I think, I pretty much steer clear of organized religions, another story, but am definitely as you know a lover of life and all peoples.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi DL - I want to answer this properly - but I have a few errands to run.
      I’ll be back shortly bud,
      Dave x

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Very interesting life by the sound of it Daniel.
      And you built your own house - you are obviously a very practical and capable person.
      I would have no idea how to do stuff like that.
      Jazz musicians invariably have their heads up their arses - ‘Dipsy-doodling’ musical phrases to use in some feature number on an upcoming gig.

My head was always full of music - but know - you know the rest.

Yes - I have always loved art, painting, sculpture, etc...and having no ability in that direction makes me even more intrigued.

I would love to see some of your stuff - but please don’t make a chore of it. Literally just whenever.
      When you suffer with what we’ve got....bollox to chores!
      I have spent a small fortunes on art books and monographs. One genre that I particularly enjoy is the art of the Old West.
      Remington - Russel - WR Leigh - Frank Tenney Johnson - Maynard Dixon and so many more.

What part of London did you live in Daniel.
      We are in South London, just inside the M25 orbital road, with plenty of countryside around us.

Dave x

4. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ladbroke Grove, spelling, near Portobello Road. Had a studio, was the only artist, the rest were musicians. Could go running on the canals, and weekends were cool with the market. Eating was always easy, with Lebanese, hippy, West Indian, Indian......before that and my majority was on Great Portland st., near Regent's Park. A rent controlled flat, and still have very important people there, family but not by blood. Regent's Park is world class , the rose garden, and a place we called the "secret garden" which was a small garden, St. John? Had Greek sculptures in marble and lavender everywhere. Could walk to to the Camden Market on weekends or just chill in the park. Was always "skint" , broke, in England, but enjoyed and still love the place.
      Loved Cornwall, of course, visited the Cotswolds, Scotland, and have been all over London, which is a country in itself.

Thanks for understanding the "chore" thing, so easy does it as the locals here say.
      Can always send you a private email as well... no worries there...
      Today is Sunday, I'm 6 hours ahead of you, have a great day...
      Daniel

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi @Daniel Lion
      Sorry mate - I missed this post.
      It’s always a good idea to flag the recipient using the @ method - @Daniel Lion.

Great informative post - I could picture it all - you write like an artist buddy.
      As you have said before - there is a massive reality shock to the way our lives have become so distorted.
      I suppose the question now is how well we can make/rebuild something worthwhile of our lives.
      Even though those around us do their level best to try to understand our predicament, they can only ‘know’ it academically, can they?
      The only people who truly understand us are those who have this affliction - our friends on here.
      I work on the best ways that I can come up with to help me to keep me comfortable, operational, and positive.
      I’ll come back later DL.
      Try not to forget the @ trick.
      Dave x
      Jazzer

6. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Jazzer,
      Accommodate, compromise, reinvent.
      Slowly coming back from my freak out.
      The tinnitus is strong. So be it.
      The hyperacusis, wants to ease off, if I go easy... so I am.
      All things considered, feeling better.
      Thanks to you, this crazy forum and all the good people here.
      It really is therapy, it works, it helps.
      Nobody, who hasn't got this affliction, could get it...with a few exceptions.
      My family gets it, because they listen.

So...yah, thanks again. I am building my strength up now. I keep looking at some art projects... but hold back. Honestly, I feel like my brain is damaged... it is... so I've been reading, researching tangits, and resting. A lot of rest... something I have actually never really done...

Daniel's back, don't worry... keep posting your music and images... keep on keeping on, as they say... see you around my friend.

Daniel

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    7. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      So many wonderful memories @Jazzer
      Beautiful career, & beautiful music performed by a man with a beautiful soul.

{{{Hug}}}
      Once

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      “Wow”
      I Love You

Dave x
      Jazzer

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      • Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise

Tim Huskisson
      (former MD for the Rocky Horror Show.)
      Superb playing, Dave. I'm sure you could still do it if you want to. We could have a nice little quartet (you, me swapping on clarinet & piano, a nice guitarist, and a nice bass player).

Dave’s reply:
      A lovely thought Tim, and I truly appreciate it my friend.
      I have to say that, unlike all the other major illnesses where non-sufferers can see the debilitating effects, severe Tinnitus is different, because the sufferer looks completely normal.

However, there can be so much constantly loud noise inside the head that you would not wish to believe the intensity Tim.
      I imagine you saw my little film on YouTube.
      I really felt a need to warn people who may be in danger, and also to give a clear idea of the electric shaver intensity, so that we might be better understood.
      (Sorry mate - I sound like a preacher man now.)
      Very best wishes Tim.

Your playing on both horns always knocked me out.
      xx

Tim’s reply to me.
      Yes, Dave, I saw your YouTube film, and found it very interesting - and moving. Still, I live in hope that one day you'll be able to play your horn again.

Bass player Del Pring
      “I'm sure Bix would've loved it Dave !”

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    11. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are the man, you are the maestro, the poet supreme.

To be robbed of such a gift that you possess is beyond criminal, it can only be explained through existential philosophies and theories pertaining to suffering that is part of the human condition.

I hope you're well Jazzer, Dave, I feel your loss, I grieve for my art my passion, my purpose.....but we push on, we bend, we flow, we learn, we survive.

You're an inspiration, and a top notch cat....
      Enjoy the day, the week...be well
      Daniel

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Daniel Lion - I am sorry I missed this post when it came in.
      I tried to teach you how to alert the intended recipient by using the
      prefix ‘@‘ - as in @Jazzer - but you’re a naughty boy ‘cos you still don’t do it.

However, I love your words to me - if anything, you are the poet my friend,
      and I am very much in mind of the heartbreaking loss of your passion, your art,
      your skill and your true life’s work.

Even though some of us have tried so hard to make ‘the ordinary average Joe’ in the street aware of what we suffer, the people we meet in our everyday life are blissfully unaware of our loss.

Even our loved ones, who can see the enormity of our loss, cannot possibly know what our actual experience is.
      We are in a lonely place.
      It truly is a tragedy of the greatest possible proportions.

And yet we still drive ourselves forward in an incredible effort to survive, to somehow succeed, to try to salvage some semblance of a decent life.

Like you - I adore my family - I adore my beautiful pets - I truly wish to survive this thing - I ‘WILL’ myself to win through - to continue loving them, and to contribute my very best efforts to care for them every day of my life.

You are a true friend Daniel,
      love to you and yours,

Jazzer
      Dave x

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Original Dixieland One Step

Hastings jazz club room was always quite echoey,
      but the jazz is raving.
      (Incidentally this number was written in 1917 by members of the Original Dixieland Jazz Band,
      and was the very first jazz number ever recorded.)
      Hope you like it......x

• Like Like x 1
    14. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shitdowski. You guys rocked that.
      Can't believe that was composed in 1917.

What a jam... fuck I can't believe we can't do our art anymore... adapt and change.
      Jam on my kids tablet...jam not naughty, well jam, but can't highlight nothing.
      I figure you will stumble upon my posts eventually, I don't worry, nor should you.
      We are friends... and my friend you got the gift... mind blowing seeing you perform.

What a legacy, what a worth while endeavour, what a gift you have given the world.

Lois Armstrong would be proud of you and so would Coltrane.

You've got all my respect man.

Now take care, and keep being our maestro. We need you.

Daniel... love and peace to you and your loved ones.

• Winner Winner x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi Dan
      I finally came across this post of yours two months late - nice little surprise - bit like being a little kid, and finding an unwrapped sticky toffee in the corner of a side pocket of a pair of shorts from last summer.

I used to be jazz trombonist on the QE 2 cruise ship playing trips to New York, Quebec, The Caribbean etc...now that is all finished of course.
      Last November we took a cruise to New York, and I made my pilgrimage up to ‘Queens’ to visit the Louis Armstrong house museum.
      He was always my God.
      The greatest natural jazz musician of all time.
      To finish my visit I sat in his favourite chair in his back garden.
      I needed to tell him what had happened to me, to the passion which he had inspired in me as a kid of fifteen.
      I sat there.
      I told him.
      I sobbed my heart out.

Then I took a taxi back to the ship and sailed back home having put my anguish to bed.

You see - your words really meant something to me, my dear friend.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I need to be honest here @Daniel Lion
      Coltrane has emerged as the market leader for modern jazz saxophone - but he was never a favourite of mine.
      With that enigmatic (high priest) look of his I’m sure his image helped him - but I simply did not really appreciate his style too much.
      I preferred his competitor Sonny Rollins.
      Also Eddie ‘Lockjaw’ Davis.

Now you’re an earthy gutsy kinda guy Dan,
      Have some o’ this.......x

Double - O (1994 Remaster)

Dave x

17. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Jazzer What an amazing life you've led!! Thank you for all the joy you've brought to people (myself included!)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thank you so much Flamingo.
      It really hurts me that I can no longer go up on stage and make the jazz music I have always loved.
      It was always my passion in life.
      I loved your kind words for me.
      Dave xxx

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      After 56 years of playing jazz trombone professionally, the curse of severe tinnitus literally brought me to my knees, and my beautiful sounding King 2B trombone went back in its case, never to reappear or be heard again.

But I am still here - having to cope with the pain of these constant sounds inside my head, it’s true, but believing that I am more than simply an ex jazz musician.

I am a husband, dad, grandad, friend, and more besides, determined to make the most of this ‘different’ life, as best I can.

Love to all this Christmas,

Dave
      Jazzer
      xxxxx

61064FD0-119B-4181-BA33-CD47317ED474.jpeg

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    20. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      My Grandad playd in jazz bands. He was a saxophonist. Long before your time though.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Somebody sent me this performance of Johnny B Goode about a month or so back, but it seems to have been recorded on a potato so the quality ain’t great and the start is also missing :LOL:. There’s a cool little sax solo at the end for those who like that sort of thing, but again, the quality of the recording is pretty crap to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Loved it so much. Listening a second time now.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Dexter Gordon Quartet - The Christmas Song

For lovers of great saxophone, here is
      Dexter Gordon playing quite the best
      Christmas Song ever written.

Best Wishes for 2020 folks,
      Dave x
      Jazzer

• Winner Winner x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hark the Herald Angels Swing: Hark the Herald...

Another great Christmas song.
      “Hark the Herald Angels Swing,”
      by ‘The World’s Greatest Jazz Band.’

I played some concerts at the Edinburgh Jazz Festival in the 1990s with this lead trumpeter,
      Yank Lawson.
      Great band.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi @El BUZZ
      I thought I might be able to meet you on here.
      Yes - JJ - Kai Winding - and so many other great modern jazz players.
      My own playing came up from Kid Ory, through Jack Teagarden, Vic Dickenson, Bob Brookmeyer, Trummy Young etc...
      - but my listening goes way into modern jazz:
      Sonny Rollins, Stan Getz, Rolland Kirk etc....
      Trombone wise I love Frankie Rosolino and Bob Brookmeyer.
      Dave x
      Jazzer

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Dear Chaps & Chapesses
      This weekend I started putting some of my precious horns up for sale.
      This truly spells an end to all possibility of a way back.
      I have had to accept the inevitable of course.
      ———————————-
      “This is one of two instruments I'm selling on behalf of retired professional jazz musician Dave Hewett.

If you've not heard of Dave then look him up on the web - he's one of the very best jazz trombone players EVER & has played with just about everyone.

A cruel hearing problem means he can no longer play without doing further damage to his ears & the jazz world will greatly miss his superb & exciting playing.

And as well as trombone, he was equally as good on his baritone horn which is also for sale on Ebay - see my other items......

Anyway, this is his trombone - a vintage H N White KING 2-B - often reckoned to be one of the best jazz trombones ever.

It's serial number is 264743 which dates it to 1942-45 & is gold lacquer & nickel plate - see the pictures. Of course both sections have the same number - not a mix & match.

It's a used, working trombone & of course shows lacquer & plate wear in the usual places but the SLIDE IS SUPERB - Dave wouldn't have it any other way. There are no dents or dings that I can see.
      See the pictures & ask if you need more.....
      ——————————-

As I carried these, my musical babies, to put them in the boot of my mates car, I had an inevitable lump in my throat.
      We were musical partners for 56 years, playing on thousands of stages at International Festivals, in concert halls, theatres, cruise ships, jazz clubs, television, recording studios, etc....everywhere.

I loved every note.
      I will miss you....x

• Hug Hug x 2
    29. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      A very tough time indeed. I can only imagine how hard it must be to part with an instrument you’ve had for so long and have accomplished so much with.

Was there no way of keeping them in the family? What about passing them down to your grandchildren? At least then they’d stay in the family and could even continue to entertain an entirely new generation if one of them were to learn how to play.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise

Thanks for kind words Ed.
      About eight years ago I started to teach one of my grandsons the cornet.
      He had a good embouchure and a decent sound, but with no school orchestra to join it was just me giving him lessons to do, with no other playing possibilities.

I noticed him getting a bit bored with it all, and as I never believe in harassing kids, I said;
      “Sammy do you find all this a bit too much on top of your school work and your sports activities.”

He said, “Well - yes really Booboo.”
      (His pet name for me.)

I said to him, “Don’t worry sweetheart - if you ever want to come back to it we can start again where we left off.”

He is a great kid and a marvellous footballer.
      I go to watch his matches nearly every Sunday morning.