Just Spoke with Workers Cutting Stones with No Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ben Winders, Dec 1, 2022.

1. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing damage, ear infections
      That's absolutely a ridiculous thing to claim. But whether it is true or not, please don't say things like this, it's very disrespectful to the people who managed to function with tinnitus after years of struggling.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    2. Jerad

Jerad Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      It’s my opinion that tinnitus isn’t truly severe or catastrophic unless it intrudes on one’s ability to coexist with the world itself, even if it’s loud. And what I mean by that is how it makes the person incompatible with life: if someone has reactive tinnitus, where it rises more and more—sometimes permanently—when they try to just push through normal living, then that’s severe or catastrophic; or if someone has hyperacusis or noxacusis, where sound itself becomes kryptonite, and cripples them into seclusion, then that’s severe or catastrophic.

If those stone cutters were in either of those scenarios above, then they wouldn’t be able to even cut stone. They’d lose their jobs and their abilities to interact with the very fabric that is existence, and society. So, while their tinnitus might be loud, it isn’t severe or catastrophic, in my opinion, because it doesn’t rob them of their quality-of-life in a meaningful way, beyond annoyance probably, and they’re clearly stable in their symptoms. If they weren’t, they wouldn’t get away with stone cutting and would quickly realize that.

Many on this forum who have severe or catastrophic tinnitus would melt like a snowman on a summer’s day if they exposed themselves to a stone cutting machine without protection—even with protection!

So yeah, those folks you encountered weren’t bad cases of tinnitus. But you’re right: it’s really sad and ignorant on their part. They could make the situation a lot worse someday. It’s truly odd that tinnitus is so variable that people who have it can continue to abuse their ears, but remain stable somehow. I think it’s possible that hyperacusis or noxacusis is what induces the “quicksand stage” of suffering, where you’re no longer stable. I know a lot of people here don’t think that reactive tinnitus is hyperacusis, but maybe it’s a “form” of hyperacusis, a different subset, just like noxacusis. I dunno.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      It's the actual opposite of a ridiculous thing to claim: everyone and their mother knows that people who do not have hyperfocus, who do not hyper research, who do not have OCD or high levels of anxiety have a much easier time getting their lives back after tinnitus creeps in.

Very disrespectful of you to change the context of what I said to make it seem as if I meant that, after years of fighting tinnitus, only stupid people are able to live with it. The contrary is true: people that, despite their genetic limitations, finally manage to live with it, are my heroes. Incredible that you make it sound like I meant something different.

Really only people with bad intentions will be able to interpret what I said like that.

Also: stop feeling offended for other people, it serves no purpose in a free open society or on a free open forum, especially this one where everyone is fighting the battle of their lives. If I offended anyone with what I said - please allow them to feel offended themselves, not by proxy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's funny that you change the definition of "smart" to mean neuroticism and then get mad when people interpret your use of "smart" as intelligence. You also act like if I intentionally ignored the context of your comment while you called them not wearing hearing protection "insanely stupid", again suggesting that intelligence is the deciding factor here for them deciding not do so.

By the way, if you really care about people's well being, you should work a bit on your snobbish tone first, mind your own business unless asked, and maybe people (especially works) will listen to your advice then. And I don't say this to insult you, I am not looking for conflicts on here, but generally people don't like being told what to do and will sometimes even do the contrary of what you say.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Not "people", just you.
      Wrong again. You have no idea what tone (or intentions) I used to try and prevent them from making their tinnitus worse. I just want to help seeing how my own life has been hell due to this condition.

It's what I do. I help people on the street if they need help. It's the reason I just got back from helping Ukrainian refugees for 2 months at the Polish border. Kids crying their eyes out. Imagine I "minded my own business unless asked", like you seem to look at life. Not minded my own business there in the least. Minded the business of people that needed help. Nobody complained.

Now please stay on topic. You totally misjudged my character and intentions, there was no need for it. Again - the workers weren't offended, stop feeling offended in their place, they were absolutely fine and explained where they worked and what they had to do back in the day (without hearing protection).

Also, for future reference: appreciate that there are people here that don't have English as their first language, there's no point in dissecting every word/sentence to try and find something you deem "disrespectful".

• Like Like x 3
    6. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If we are talking about me calling you out over your use of the word smart, as a matter of fact I did not judge your personally.

I merely reacted to what you wrote, I can't telepathically assess what kind of person you are, your intentions and what country you are from.
      So you do admit you phrased your post a bit awkward then? No shame in admitting that instead of placing all the blame on me for misreading your message.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Look here - I bet you're an awesome guy outside of this forum. You are fighting the same battle as I am. I have no intention to drag this out until eternity. I can use my energy elsewhere.

We both said what we had to say, it didn't solve anything, especially not tinnitus and that's really the only thing I'm here for :D

I genuinely wish you a fantastic evening.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Ben Winders -- I want to sincerely thank you for the important service you provided to those Ukrainian refugees. I would so much like to do something similarly, but my circumstances just don't allow me to do that. So I send my love. I watched an interview with Zelensky's wife a while back, and when asked if there was anything else she would like to receive from America, she said, "just send your love". We feel it. And it keeps us going. So I send my love.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm a pretty cool guy on here too, if I may say so.

Let's bury our battle axes and just call it a case of miscommunication.

• Like Like x 3
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I did a fundraiser before I went there (the money I used there to buy food, shelter and transportation for the refugees) and the biggest amounts came from my friends from the US. You are very generous when it comes to good causes.
      Haha I'm sure you are - haven't run into you anywhere else, I think. Your profile picture looks familiar though but I can't pinpoint :D

• Like Like x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. StoneInFocus
      Badass

StoneInFocus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wish I could tell you but I'm not supposed to talk about it.

• Funny Funny x 4
    12. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I gave up talking to people who do not use hearing protection a long time ago. They will all react like "well, we know the risks" (haha!) or like "we don't care"... so I just go my own way.

I just care about them not making noise around me. I mean, having a work licence, complying with all the regulations, noise limits (if any) and stopping all noise in the evening past the allowed time.

• Like Like x 3
    13. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Anyone who continues to abuse their ears after getting tinnitus is mild and stable, end of discussion lol

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    14. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      I went to a family party yesterday. Lots of people in tight rooms. Very loud. I wore my earplugs the whole time. Made my tinnitus, that was already spiking yesterday, louder with the earplugs in, so of course, it decreased my enjoyment during the party since my tinnitus is very high frequency. But you do what you have to do.

Anyway, my cousin also has fluctuating tinnitus that has worsened in recent years. She was there. No earplugs. Some people just don’t mind it. Oh and hers is also high frequency. Go figure.

15. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      No two people will experience tinnitus the same. Even though your cousin has fluctuating tinnitus, it will be completely different to yours. If her tinnitus was originally caused by noise trauma, the reason it has got worse over the years is likely due to further noise exposure.

No matter how sophisticated earplugs are, if external sound is loud enough, they will not stop sound passing through the head and reaching the inner ear by bone conduction and irritating the tinnitus. If a person is fortunate, the spike in tinnitus will reduce to baseline level within a short period of time. However, if one regularly experiences spikes due to exposure to loud sounds even when wearing earplugs, there will come a time the spike will not reduce but instead increase the tinnitus to a new permanent level and possibly change it to variable tinnitus.

Sorry to sound so sobering. A person that has noise-induced tinnitus should not put their trust in earplugs, not even high-end moulded earplugs. It is best to try and learn what sound levels your ears and auditory system can safely cope with so your tinnitus doesn't spike or worsen.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1