Keeps Getting Louder and Louder

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jkph75, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I am in 65 db of noise now and I hear it very clearly over it. I have only had T for 9 months. It was no where near this loud at first. I don't know why this is happening.

I keep getting more and more sounds. The sounds are always changing and I mean they change second to second. It's like there is a band of people all playing off key noises in my head.

Is this part of some disease? Meniere's?

I have been taking Cyclobenzaprine every night to sleep for several months.

I've been on Prednisone for a long time too. Could that be it? I am so scared.

I think I must be going deaf, but then when am I going to start losing hearing? My hearing is fluctuating but it is always in the normal range certainly nothing to account for this.

I am freaking out. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    2. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Do you pop your ears by moving your jaw?

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'm sorry this is happening to you. If you do have otosclerosis, you may want to look into a treatment fairly quickly, especially if the disease starts attacking your cochlea (which could be responsible for your T and its variation).
      I feel for you as I also suffer from pretty painful T that doesn't seem to get any better with time.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Oh man! i wish i could help!! you dont deserve this!
      we have had similar symptoms.. my t is mostly low, and i think i have a new tone, but its low pitched..
      the only difference is that i dont take predisone.
      what if predisone is making it worse?
      i mean im not a doctor but is there a chance?

5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      In reality, 65db is not that loud and slightly a little more than 1/2 as loud as 70db which is like low background music or restaurant conversation.

One thing is that if you have been on Prednisone for a long time so it must be for a reason. If not, you need to taper off it and quit BUT talk to your doctor first. Prednisone can cause psychosis and make everything seem that much worse that it actually is especially at high doses.

Perception is reality so if your perception is off than so can be your reality. The first 1.5 years I had T was by far the roughest and most difficult. I too thought I was losing my hearing, my T fluctuated so much it constantly freaked me out. However, my extreme anxiety and lack of sleep was making my coping with T worse. I worked hard to address this problem with my stress, anxiety and sleep and things greatly improved though my T was still there. It didn't really click for me until after the 1st year but really after about 1.5 years.

I doubt you are losing your hearing. Did you get a hearing test after you first got T? I bet if you got another now at 9 months later there would be no change.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Prednisalone normally settles tinnitus as it helps inflamation and if you have taken them for a while you will need a slow taper .
      Ask your doctor about Nortryptaline with is a AD but a low dose will help sleep and reduces tinnitus for some people .
      Menieres has lots of symptoms and ENT can do a few tests and monitor you over the next few months but usually Comes with vertigo,sickness etc.
      Try to stay calm and do what you can to relax.
      Tinnitus can change a lot and usually finds a base sound as it settles down.
      Try keep off caffeine and cola and salt and junk food see if that helps too.
      Keep sound on around you to help your brain focus on another sound even if your tinnitus is louder your brain will work hard pick up the lower sound and help your brains natural filter to push it to the back ground and not see your tinnitus as a threat .

Tinnitus can get that bad it can be real mental torture and like myself recently needed get medical help...lots of love glynis

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Thank you all for responding. It means a lot really.

I have this sound that sounds like a foghorn sometimes. Now it is just constant and it sounds like a really loud washing machine. If I stand up it isn't as loud. If I talk or eat it totally stops. I have this Morse code typing away over it. This isn't just a sound like the other sounds. It vibrates my head.

There is something terribly wrong with me. My hearing is fluctuating across all of the frequencies. I've had it tested at least 10 times since this started. It just hasn't gone below 25db in any frequency. The past few nights when I laid in bed I felt like I was swaying on a boat, so now I have vertigo.

I've had so many tests. I don't understand any of this. I take a test. It's not normal. Then they tell me that it doesn't mean anything and then even if it did there's nothing they can do for me anyways. They'll get me a hearing aid or a Cochlear implant if I need one and a walker for when I lose my balance function. I am so afraid and angry. It's one thing if they can't do anything for tinnitus but they can't seem to do anything for anything else either.

8. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You need to look for second, third, forth and fifth opinions... It sucks, but it is what it is. Doctors aren't perfect. Increase your odds by seeing more of them, then you got to analyze all the data they give back to you, and go with your gut.

9. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Can you ask them to test for superior canal dehisence? Not sure if that is spelled
      Correctly.

10. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Good point - I think CT is the imaging of choice for Superior Canal Dehiscence Syndrome diagnosis.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That's what I had. I think it is a CT of the temporal bone? Is there a different one for Otosclerosis?

12. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Nope, same.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Now I am wondering if I could have either of these. Can your hearing fluctuate with Otosclerosis or superior canal? I didn't think so.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't know if it's typical of O or SCDS.

15. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Where I live, they send you to a special CT Scan to test for those because the other CT scans done at around the state do not show the conditions as well as this one or maybe not at all.
      They have experts there (it's mass eye and ear) who read the scans and look for theses conditions with great scrutiny.
      I recently learned of this and will be having it done after the holiday. I think my hearing test showed something that led them to think I may have either one.

16. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It definitely requires a trained eye. Also you need a high resolution CT, because the things they need to analyze are really really small.

17. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      @GregCA

That's what I meant to say but didn't know how to explain it!