Ketamine Relieves Depression by Restoring Brain Connections

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Nic B, Oct 5, 2012.

1. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Did you have it done specifically for tinnitus? I'm wondering if some of the places that actually advertise for tinnitus use a different volume/concentration than for depression.

2. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Does it work for depression at least?

3. rid0871

rid0871 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may of 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      had my neck adjusted
      I had it done for lower back pain, which it did not help for. I also did not feel it did anything for depression.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. bobthebuilder
      No Mood

bobthebuilder Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      amitriptyline, hidden hearing loss, whiplash (?), stress (?)
      Corroborates my experience with intravenous Ketamine. No impact on the tinnitus during the infusion, followed by a spike in tinnitus afterwards that resolved to pre-infusion baseline after a few days.

For those asking about where to get it done / how to pay for it, sign up for the clinical trial if you can. Resurrecting an old post in this thread below with the link.

The downside is that you have to be in an MRI during the infusion, though I had earplugs and earmuffs and didn't find the machine noise to be bothersome. Unclear whether my tinnitus spike afterwards was a temporary side effect of the ketamine or just noise sensitivity to the MRI noises during the scan - but given all the hearing protection I had, I lean towards the former.
      FYI I recently had a similar experience with intravenous Lidocaine, though that actually "muffled" both my tinnitus and lowered my hearing thresholds during the infusion. Everything sounded farther away while I was on it. Hearing returned to normal pretty quickly after the infusion, but my tinnitus spiked and only returned to pre-infusion baseline after a week and half (though my pre-infusion baseline is now much higher that it was back when I tried Ketamine.)

Disappointing but hopefully they are learning things about tinnitus from these studies that will help.

5. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I had mentioned in another Ketamine thread that I had called the Arizona Ketamine Clinic, which advertises Ketamine for tinnitus and was told the doctor is no longer doing infusions for tinnitus as he found it was not successful in his patients.

Sounds like a pretty good answer to the use of Ketamine infusions for tinnitus.

I don't think this rules out Ketamine and other psychedelics, just Ketamine infusion.

6. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Hi, GBB! Do you still take Keppra? How long did you take it for? How did you work up your dosage?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    7. PolarSun

PolarSun Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Do you have hyperacusis and/or does the Ketamine make you more light/sound sensitive?

8. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. KoolKat
      Dreaming

KoolKat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone Noise induced ( BEING STUPID)
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      It may be no use at all, just fits into this category of drugs investigated.

• Like Like x 1
    11. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Odd, everything I read is about Gabapentin being prescribed FOR visual snow, not causing it. Government studies say "To our knowledge, visual field impairment in patients taking Gabapentin has not previously been reported".

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Take that w/ a grain of salt, and even if it did, there is zero evidence it would help people w/ tinnitus. The brain can repair brain connections (up to a point and over time) by itself. When we look at this, the words we see are "believed to be", "theory"," in mice", "can" vs does, "potentially", stuff like that. Beware of results from ONE study too, there have to be professionally administered clinical trials, and I don't think that has been done at all. Everyone's brain is different too, and our brains change throughout our lives.

• Agree Agree x 3
    13. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Why would this get rid of tinnitus? Because it's similar to Ketamine?

Ketamine is well known to give people temporary tinnitus while they are high. I can't imagine how it would get rid of tinnitus.

There's a large amount of anecdotal accounts of people who got Ketamine treatment for depression while also having tinnitus and I haven't seen one person say it made their tinnitus better but loads of people say it gets temporarily worse, or else they don't even have tinnitus normally but get it when on Ketamine.

The antidepressant effects might inadvertently make tinnitus better though, in the same way other treatments that boost mood do.

When I received Ketamine treatment myself, it had no effect on my tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 3
    14. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      Did Memantine make your tinnitus worse?

15. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Just want to add that I received Ketamine treatment again and it made my tinnitus temporarily louder again but it went back to normal when the drug wore off.

The antidepressant effects are good though. It really helps you put everything in your life in perspective all at once in a way that nothing else can.

16. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      After waking up with that spike from one pill, I never took it again. The spike went away.

• Informative Informative x 2
    17. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Some years ago a psychiatrist put me on Zoloft. After 36 hours I felt like Catherine Deneuve in Polansky's "Repulsion", when she was going completely insane all alone in that apartment.

I actually saw shadows moving in the periphery of my vision, and had jolts of panic that resembled the figure in Munch's "The Scream."

Later, a genetic test revealed that my metabolism could not process the Zoloft, so it backed up in my system. This was in fact true for almost all antidepressants.

Here was another dead end regarding something that would give me any potential relief.

After over 9 years of this, insofar as habituation is concerned, I find myself in the position that Paul Fussell found himself in when he described the relentless combat he experienced during World War II:

"We came to understand what more have known than spoken of, that normally each man begins with a certain full reservoir, or bank account, of bravery, but that each time it's called upon, some is expended, never to be regained. After several months it all has been expended, and it's time for your breakdown."​

This describes the current state of all of my "coping mechanisms."

• Hug Hug x 4
    18. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @DaveFromChicago -- That actually sounds pretty similar to when I took the single dose of Promethazine that gave me my tinnitus five years ago. Ever since then I've been looking for ways to calm my brain and nervous system down. I recently started taking a supplement (drug) called methylene blue, which seems to be bringing some stability back to my brain and nervous system. In case you're interested, I posted about it HERE. -- Take care!