Ketamine Relieves Depression By Restoring Brain Connections

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Nic B, Oct 5, 2012.

1. kingsfan
      Mellow

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-20 / 10-20-20 / 3-31-21 / 5-23-21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Did you have it done specifically for tinnitus? I'm wondering if some of the places that actually advertise for tinnitus use a different volume/concentration than for depression.

2. fade2black244
      Spaced

fade2black244 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Does it work for depression at least?

3. rid0871

rid0871 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may of 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      had my neck adjusted
      I had it done for lower back pain, which it did not help for. I also did not feel it did anything for depression.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. bobthebuilder
      No Mood

bobthebuilder Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      amitriptyline, hidden hearing loss, whiplash (?), stress (?)
      Corroborates my experience with intravenous Ketamine. No impact on the tinnitus during the infusion, followed by a spike in tinnitus afterwards that resolved to pre-infusion baseline after a few days.

For those asking about where to get it done / how to pay for it, sign up for the clinical trial if you can. Resurrecting an old post in this thread below with the link.

The downside is that you have to be in an MRI during the infusion, though I had earplugs and earmuffs and didn't find the machine noise to be bothersome. Unclear whether my tinnitus spike afterwards was a temporary side effect of the ketamine or just noise sensitivity to the MRI noises during the scan - but given all the hearing protection I had, I lean towards the former.
      FYI I recently had a similar experience with intravenous Lidocaine, though that actually "muffled" both my tinnitus and lowered my hearing thresholds during the infusion. Everything sounded farther away while I was on it. Hearing returned to normal pretty quickly after the infusion, but my tinnitus spiked and only returned to pre-infusion baseline after a week and half (though my pre-infusion baseline is now much higher that it was back when I tried Ketamine.)

Disappointing but hopefully they are learning things about tinnitus from these studies that will help.

5. kingsfan
      Mellow

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-20 / 10-20-20 / 3-31-21 / 5-23-21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I had mentioned in another Ketamine thread that I had called the Arizona Ketamine Clinic, which advertises Ketamine for tinnitus and was told the doctor is no longer doing infusions for tinnitus as he found it was not successful in his patients.

Sounds like a pretty good answer to the use of Ketamine infusions for tinnitus.

I don't think this rules out Ketamine and other psychedelics, just Ketamine infusion.

6. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Hi, GBB! Do you still take Keppra? How long did you take it for? How did you work up your dosage?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    7. PolarSun

PolarSun Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Do you have hyperacusis and/or does the Ketamine make you more light/sound sensitive?