Ketogenic Diet

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by valeri, Dec 2, 2015.

1. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Has anyone had any noticeable improvement on this diet?

2. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There's a user who has had this diet for a while and he said his T has gotten better

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. arctic loon
      Dreaming

arctic loon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
    4. mychellbell24

mychellbell24 Member

Ketosis is great for all sorts of things to improve your health long term. It is a struggle and very tedious to get your body into ketosis though. My doctor recommended this product to me and I am never looking back! Here's a video link too

Pruvit. Does The Product Cause Ketosis?

Get it here http://f72jy8.pruvitnow.com/

5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Keto strips yes. Once you get used to it, even if you go in and out of Ketosis, you will know when you are back in again which takes 12 hours or so.

6. Andersson
      Worried

Andersson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I was on strict keto for more then 6 months (sub 20gram carbs per day)
      Did not effect my T at all, and actually made me worse overall.

We are all different in chemistry, keto does not work for everyone.
      My body works best on a normal diet.
      I know other people that got much much worse overall in their health and 1 almost fatal (she had a heart condition that doctors say was aggrivated by the diet (but yeah hard to prove)
      I also know people that love the lifestyle. So, yeah 50/50 I would say :D

It's not that hard to get your body into ketosis, the problem is if you cheat and put your body out of it you might experience things like the famous "keto flu"

There is no fact that keto lowers T. It's just something you need to try if you want.
      For some keto diet works in boosting someones overall health, which might help T.
      For some it makes you worse and in turn makes T worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      ketosis is just another fad, to make money for the latest fad proponent.
      to get into ketosis, you just don't eat for 12 hours. it does zero for tinnitus.
      personally, i have been going back to basics. the ancient Indian and Chinese medicines use chick pea sprouts.
      there is enormous research now being done on chick pea sprouts, but to prevent neuro degenerative disorders, cancers, diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol. for my money, i would rather go on a sprouted chick pea diet, which i KNOW is good for your health, and POSSIBLY might benefit your long term tinnitus. i have only been using sprouts for about a month now, and it is too soon to say, but overall, my tinnitus has been pretty much alright.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I would disagree it is another fad. It has had a resurgence in recent years but has been around for almost 100 years. There is evidence that it can help people with epilepsy, diabetes among other conditions.

You don't need to special food for this. It doesn't necessarily cost more like eating vegan or gluten free. You can make it work with normal food you buy at the grocery store. You just have to be a little more creative in the kitchen.

I am not doing it for my T. Nothing works to get rid of T with regards to diet and/or supplements. You can't do things specifically for T and if you are looking to do this with food or supplements you will most likely be disappointed.

However, you can affect other areas with things you can control like your health, weight, blood pressure, etc whatever it may be. Keto diet just helps me in other ways and I like it's simplicity and how it makes me feel.

It's not for everyone, there is no one size fits all and we need to find what works for us. If sprouts work for you then that is great!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    9. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Who all here are trying this diet out?

10. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Yes, it seems that when I try to diet too hard, my T spikes. -- I'm staying away from sugar and junk food which helps but going too extreme makes my head buzz even more.

That's me though. It may work for others. -- Unfortunately, T is like an untamed snake that is incredibly hard to figure out..

11. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I'm currently trying the fatogenic diet. Eating sauces, meat, candy and always finishing up with a (diet) coke.
      However I'm not getting much results. I plan on switching to the Atkins diet soon, that is eating any food I get my hands on except Atkins himself.

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    12. locoyeti
      Sunshine

locoyeti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2014
      ive been on the ketogenic diet for the last 4 months. i can't say if it helps or not for t (probably a little), but it definitely has eliminated my moodiness and mood swings. the insulin rise and fall can be an emotional rollercoaster, so i am happy to avoid that - it's just a steady dose of ketones for my brain. having a stable mood allows me to deal with any occassional spikes much better. and the mental acuity (which is partially a result of having a steady emotional state) is quite amazing, i am so much more productive in life. i recommend trying it if you haven't already - at the very least you will see what carbs do to your brain and what they do when you eliminate them from your diet. it seems to differ from person to person- i have a very high functioning friend who is trying the diet and reports no real change at all.

13. Ma78

Ma78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I also tried a strict ketogenic diet for a month. Most days my mmol/L were up in the ranges considered for me to be ketogenic. (I confirmed this with strips) I kick started with a 40 hour fast and then kept carbs to less than 50gm per day.

My thinking was that similar to the positive effects it has for epileptics I might be able to reduce the amount of misfiring neurons in my brain.

Unfortunately it had no effect. I verified this by going into quiet rooms to test my T.

14. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I can tell the same for me.

15. SeekIngAlpha

SeekIngAlpha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Been on Keto diet 2 weeks noticable t improvements. Anyone else tried it? Best decision re t so far. Happy once more. Joy to all this season

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      That's a good news!
      What's you daily plan like, what do you eat?

17. SeekIngAlpha

SeekIngAlpha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Alot of red meat and vegetables. Yougurt, eggs. Its really more Atkins than the Keto high fat diet.

18. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      There are a few threads on keto here. I've also started a threat on keto dishes some time ago.

19. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      I think it's 'different strokes for different folks'. Ketogenic diet probably works for some. Various supplements (many different ones) seem to have good press from others. What works for one doesn't seem to work for another....tinnitus has so many different aetiologies, it's not surprising. BUT....it's a condition which probably has spontaneous remissions, too, and the long-term outlook is largely favourable due to habituation.

Unfortunately most of the reports/trials of dietary change or supplements/exclusions from the diet seem to have been done in a fashion which would never be accepted by the scientific community. (No control groups, very small numbers, follow up way too short, no pre-trial definition of outcome measures etc). Any reports have to be taken with a degree of scepticism.

No dietary change/supplement/drug seems to have any effect whatever on my tinnitus, BUT if some modification works for you, then it works for you. It's well worthwhile others trying your method(s), but they should try to do so from a 'neutral position', not expecting improvement or deterioration, in order to avoid what for many will be just another disappointment.

As a longstanding and pretty thin vegetarian who feels utterly wretched when ketotic (pre-op when nil-by-mouth etc), I'm not going to go eating animals, anyway, even if eating red meat was shown to dramatically improve tinnitus. But, at least I don't get spikes with alcohol/medication/caffeine/loud noises etc.

Like others, I look forward to a time when more of the scientific community starts to really look into the problem and sorts us out.

20. jacob21
      Amazed

jacob21 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 > 2009 "cured" >2nd onset June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induce ( loud music )
      • Like Like x 2
    21. andee555

andee555 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Firstly, I have been a tinnitus sufferer for over 10 years, I live fairly actively and for quite a few years have not lived a clean eating lifestyle.

Several months ago I decided to try the Keto diet to improve my health, I always felt tired, hungry all the time, no ambition, and poor judgement and moody. My tinnitus was at its peak as it was always persistent in my right ear.

After being on Keto for awhile my tinnitus would come and go and eventually it kind of disappeared.

My diet changed substantially to a high fat, low carb, and moderate protein intake.

By low carb I mean 20 carbs per day. A lot changed in my life and ridding the tinnitus was definitely a major moral booster and the biggest gain. I do believe there is a definite link between diet and tinnitus.

The diet looks very restrictive but once you get into it, it is not that bad, just by eating natural foods compared to processed is a huge improvement. Easy to try maybe this will help others with tinnitus.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    22. brummygirl
      Cheerful

brummygirl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      clenching jaw while weightlifting
      @andee555 great you have found that a keto diet has helped you feel so much better.

About how long did it take for the tinnitus to fade away? Interested as my son has just started on a keto diet and it would be marvellous if it helped his tinnitus.

I note from your profile that your cause of tinnitus is unknown. May I ask if you had any tests to discount any causes?

23. krispin
      Woot

krispin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      forever
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      wayward youth
      WoW! I struggle keeping under 150 grams.

24. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      I did it for 2 months (20 grams a day). It’s not a very sustainable diet and no effect on T.

25. anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      How long were you on keto?

I started keto 3 days back and woke up in middle of night and heard tinnitus very loud.

I want to lose weight as I feel I have to. So, started keto and came across that it could help with tinnitus too.

Did you feel tinnitus was loud in 1st week of Keto?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    26. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow! That is encouraging Andee!

My wife and I just started the Keto diet, however, my T is spiking since my body is missing the fast food, pizza, junk food, etc. -- My T always spikes when I get hungry..

I notice that when I eat bad stuff, I don't really notice my T since I am sort of in a constant Zen moment with snacking if you know what I mean..

I was hesitant to do the Keto diet, however, a documentary really opened my eyes as to how cattle are fed, 99% of all food is processed, and people with cancer and other major health ailments see real results within a month of being on Keto. -- Also, I recently knew a couple guys around 50 years old who dropped dead recently from unexpected heart attacks (I just turned 51).

I'm not expecting my T to subside but if it improves by half as what you say, I'll be a very happy camper and a much healthier one as well.

It's not a diet for the faint of heart. - You have to really commit to it. - However, it's supposed to be a life changer..

Thanks for your insight Andee. -- I will update everyone in a couple weeks... :)

• Like Like x 1
    27. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Be careful if you are on benzo withdrawal and have tinnitus due to benzos
      You must have plenty carbohydrates & water in your body because if you don't have the chances to get permanent neurological problems are much greater.

Carbohydrates & water protect from glutamate excitotoxicity.

28. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello again Andee,

Was your tinnitus noise-induced?

29. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I never heard of this. I had to look it up. This diet is low carb/high fat? I was surprised about the high fat part. My diet is already fairly low in carbs. I don't know if I want to intentionally add fat to my diet. Also surprising that most fruits should be avoided.

30. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      @SugarMagnolia Good unsaturated fats...doesn't have to be saturated fats.
      Fruits are avoided because of the sugars they contain. The aim is to burn fat as the source of energy instead of glucose.

Last year I cut down on carbs and sugar almost entirely. I don't think it was to the ketogenic level, but it made no difference to my T either way. I still eat a lot less sugar and junk carbs, but not to the extreme.