L-Theanine for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by John Bacon, May 7, 2012.

1. John Bacon

John Bacon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2012
      I'm new here. Any comment on L-theanine as treatment?

2. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hi John! Welcome.

I have been taking L-theanine regularly for some time. Not a treatment for tinnitus - for me any way.

3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Been on L-theanine for a few weeks, can't really tell if it works. My T is up and down daily.

4. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      "Theanine vs. Xanax? Researchers in Australia compared 200 mg of theanine to 1 mg of Xanax. Subjects were given either theanine, Xanax or a placebo during either a resting task (baseline) or a task that provoked anxiety. Theanine worked better than Xanax to induce relaxation during the resting task, though neither theanine nor Xanax had any significant effects during the anxiety task."

"Theanine increases serotonin, dopamine, GABA, and glycine levels in various areas of the brain, as well as BDNF and NGF levels in certain brain areas.[15][19][24][25]"

"Able to cross the blood–brain barrier, theanine has reported psychoactive properties.[28] Theanine has been studied for its potential ability to reduce mental and physical stress"

L-Theanine (delta-glutamylethylamide) is one of the predominant amino acids ordinarily found in green tea, and historically has been used as a relaxing agent. The current study examined the acute effects of L-theanine in comparison with a standard benzodiazepine anxiolytic, alprazolam and placebo on behavioural measures of anxiety in healthy human subjects using the model of anticipatory anxiety (AA). Sixteen healthy volunteers received alprazolam (1 mg), L-theanine (200 mg) or placebo in a double-blind placebo-controlled repeated measures design. The acute effects of alprazolam and L-theanine were assessed under a relaxed and experimentally induced anxiety condition. Subjective self-reports of anxiety including BAI, VAMS, STAI state anxiety, were obtained during both task conditions at pre- and post-drug administrations. The results showed some evidence for relaxing effects of L-theanine during the baseline condition on the tranquil-troubled subscale of the VAMS. Alprazolam did not exert any anxiolytic effects in comparison with the placebo on any of the measures during the relaxed state. Neither L-theanine nor alprazalam had any significant anxiolytic effects during the experimentally induced anxiety state. The findings suggest that while L-theanine may have some relaxing effects under resting conditions, neither L-theanine not alprazolam demonstrate any acute anxiolytic effects under conditions of increased anxiety in the AA model.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15378679

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1005/ab389fa20bbe9b8e18dfd7dc37a80e175e18.pdf

5. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      I have ordered a box of L-Theanine...
      Is it safe for tinnitus? Causes addiction & tolerance?

6. cjbhab
      Frantic

cjbhab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music.. I guess
      it's safe, don't think its addicting, i took it for awhile, don't think it does anything.

7. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Yes, No.

8. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      I don't know what happens but after 30 mins I took l -theanine and taurine and a multivitamin
      my tinnitus is 0 tested with earmuffs in a super quiet room.

Yesterday about 27 hours ago I took 32mg methylprednisolone (from this I had a huge reduction but not absolute silence).

9. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Tinnitus returned after 2.5 hours so no permanent solution here.

10. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Today had no tinnitus but after some moderate noise exposure low volume mid frequency tinnitus appeared.

So I took Magnesium 200mg, Taurine 500mg, Theanine 100mg

After 30min tinnitus stopped and got 2.5 hours sleep.

When I woke up I had loud very high frequency tinnitus so I think theanine & taurine has to do with it.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      In the Taurine study with rats, it was noted that in the the group with lower doses, it actually made the high frequencies worse...they managed to reverse the tinnitus in the other group of rats, but this would amount to about 27 grams of Taurine a day for an average 200 lbs adult.

12. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      I've been on L-Theanine (initially 3x200mg a day, now 2x200mg a day) for about 2 weeks now and I can confidently say that it has had a beneficial effect on my T. Not dramatic, but volume is noticeably lower and and it is also more stable. To use a metaphor: if my T were a child that sometimes behaves badly and sometimes behaves well, then the theanine makes it always behave well.

In addition there's a definite calming, anxiety-reducing effect. I've occasionally used Xanax in the past and theanine's effect is comparable to the effect of a low dose (0.25-0.5mg) of Xanax, except it is not at all sedative, only calming.

Only drawback is that sometimes I have a bit of a trouble falling asleep. Maybe because anxiety tired me out and now that I have less anxiety I have more energy. Funny.

• Like Like x 1
    13. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      I take it at night to help me sleep. But it's usually in the middle of the night when I wake up. I've had some success with Magnesium Threonate when I first go to bed and L-Theanine later.

• Like Like x 1
    14. abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I think either the 5Htp or the Taurine is helping me but more testing is needed. I have a thread here that tells more for anyone interested. I do have L-Theonine ready to pick up today, that I ordered last week. Also Gaba and more of my Magnesium.

I am somehow getting the volume way down on my T at night, but I can't pinpoint what is doing it. For 2 nights in a row, I've needed no "sound devices" through the night. Even when I wake to use the bathroom, I don't get the spike in the T I usually get, and have to turn the sound on afterall. But in the a.m., my T is back to full blast when I wake.

I'll check back in on this thread after I start the Theonine, but I'm hoping it might help me during the days. I do realize supplements usually take some time to work, like 2 weeks, or a few months. The only immediate relief I've felt has to do with night time only, and most likely from those 2 things I've taken for just a few days (5htp & taurine). More later.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. SteveShield

SteveShield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HTN Rx, Migraine hx, Oil of Wintergreen induced?
      L-theanine does nothing for me so far...

16. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

temporarily banished from this plane of existence.
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      if it's pharmacologically active in the way it's suspected to be then you might expect it to very minorly chill you out, which might in turn very minorly make your tinnitus a little more chill, but cure? Nope.

I weigh somewhat less than that, and I am pretty sure that at the height of my taurine consumption, I was approaching that -- I read the same study you did, and did the same math. This was 4 years ago, so I can't speak to exact dose and duration.

The interesting thing was that it really seemed to be basically inert, aside from the GI-and-other peripheral effects you'd expect from consuming such a large amount of an isolated amino acid.

17. Henry Orlando FL
      Balanced

Henry Orlando FL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sound via earbuds from a digital device.
      I have used L-Theanine, particularly right after I started having tinnitus from a loud earbud incident. I also have used it for a while when I had a couple of big spikes over the years due to loud sound incidents. I used it mostly to get to sleep (200 mg and I weigh 160 pounds) 20 minutes before bedtime. Worked like a charm to get to sleep. If I woke up in the night and began to obsess about mostly work issues I would take 200mg more then. That also worked like a charm. When I was in those two spiking times which were so big that I had to work to re-habituate all over again I used 100 or 200 mg after work to reduce my anxiety until I had worked myself back into habituation.

I first habituated using this program:

Tinnitus Turning the Volume Down by Kevin Hogan PsyD = I got a lot out of his book and Kevin’s program personally in 2011 when I first got tinnitus so I may be a bit biased. Then I achieved habituation out of it, which means I only heard the sounds maybe 3 to 5x per day at most and I was not uncomfortable when I did hear them.

Overview:
      https://kevinhogan.com/portfolio/tinnitus/

Hypnosis info:
      https://kevinhogan.com/reduction-of-tinnitus-by-hypnosis/

Purchase:
      http://store.kevinhogan.com/tinnitusreductionprogramwithbook.aspx

With the second time when I had to re-habituate I used the "Back to Silence" method I learned on this website along with getting back into the above program using the self-hypnosis elements:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

The essence of the Back to Silence method is the following:

I got back to habituation in a couple of weeks instead of a year or so it took me in 2011 when all I had was the Kevin Hogan program I talk about above. I am certain this is the great cognitive intervention I have come across.

Here is the “bottom line” on how to implement it from researching the Back To Silence String:

The "Back to Silence" method calls for not measuring the sound(s), not to monitor the Tinnitus sound(s) or focus on it, don't describe the sound(s) or compare the sound(s).

Another way to think about it is follow the four "don'ts" of the Back to Silence method:

1 - Don't measure it
      2 - Don't monitor it
      3 - Don't describe it
      4 - Don't compare it

Do the following:

1- STOP talking about tinnitus, measuring it, comparing it, describing it, and thinking about it.
      2- When you hear the sound(s), tell yourself, "I hear it, I feel .........." (insert your true emotion)
      3- make a note of this incidence (just put a hash mark for instance and add them up daily) and each emotional response in a word or two on paper, review your paper weekly to see the change in your responses.

If you are in a position (like say driving a car, in meditation, in bed getting to sleep or up in the night etc.) where you can’t note down your occurrence then do it verbally and add a hash mark and note later in writing if you can recall it.

Once you have gotten to 5 to 10 times a day with noting the tinnitus occurrences you can stop writing them down if desired. Just do the “I hear it, I feel _______ (insert your true emotion) to yourself with no need to keep a count.

I also would suggest you look into what I posted on the Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) thread.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/posts/439910/

18. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      July/August 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I'm glad he helped you but that guy sounds like a terrible quack. From his homepage:
      • "People who suffer from this chronic and seemingly intractable problem can get predictable long-term, verifiable results, with the formulaic, multi-modal approach. Virtually everyone can return to living a thriving life. His unique approaches to hypnosis and hypnotherapy play a significant role in making the change."
      • "Regardless of the cause of your tinnitus, you can get relief from your tinnitus quickly!"
      • "This program is for anyone who would like to reduce the volume of their tinnitus through the use of self-hypnosis along with other proven strategies presented in the program."
      That's just the typical "101 how to lure in desperate people to make more money" way of phrasing things.

19. Henry Orlando FL
      Balanced

Henry Orlando FL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sound via earbuds from a digital device.
      Yes, Autumnly you should be skeptical...can be a jungle out there. Indeed you are right all I can tell you is that was the first way I found to get to habituation and I would have paid way more than I paid for it to get to habituation at the time. As some say: Take what you need and leave the rest. The psychologist who I speak about with CBT says he gets most people he works with to habituation in 2 to 10 sessions with most people not needing his help at all if they work self-help based on his recommendations. Of course, the "Back to Silence" method is free and worked really well for me which I still use today.

• Like Like x 2