L-Theanine for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by John Bacon, May 7, 2012.

1. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Have you tried Buspar? What about tricyclics, MAOIs, or even Gabapentin/Pregabalin?

I believe Gabapentin is also used to help with benzo withdrawal if you do wish to slowly taper off of Xanax.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      EMDR for anxiety? Therapy? Beta blockers?

Melatonin for sleep? Light sleeping pills - I find low-dose Doxylamine pretty light. I don't know what others think of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. niepleuje

niepleuje Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Brain Inflammation
      Sorry for the bump, glad I found your post though. I have been taking L-Theanine 250 mg caps for a little over a month and noticed my tinnitus spiked really bad the last 2 weeks. I have also been taking Xanax 1 mg daily for some years now for my anxiety and to reduce stress and staying calm, which oddly has helped to reduce my tinnitus to non-noticeable levels.

Which is why I got worried where the sudden spikes came from. I'm gonna stop taking the supplement asap.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. MelanieR

MelanieR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm sorry to hear your tinnitus went up too. I take a baby dose (25 mg) of L-Theanine because unfortunately without it I literally WILL NOT sleep. So I had to choose to live with the spike. Anything that messes with my serotonin levels, apparently spikes my tinnitus, no matter the dosage.

Try 25 mg. That low of a dose is hard to find but you could always try it to see if it lowers your tinnitus. Best wishes!