LectroFan White Noise/Fan Modeling Machine

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Luman, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I recently I got a new noise-generating device called the LectroFan, which I am extremely happy with. It has ten types of fan sounds, and ten white noise sounds. I do not understand the technology, and am not qualified to explain how it works, but they do not use looping, so anybody who is sensitive enough with their hearing to be bothered by repetitive sequences will not hear this because it isn't happening with this one. The white noise sounds are arranged from lowest pitch to highest pitch, which is very useful for masking and covering certain sounds. I mostly use fan sounds, they're all good and I have a few favorites.

I have used various types of noise, for sleeping, for decades which includes fans, tape recordings of white noise, a motorized sleep machine similar to the vintage Sleep Mate, and a 23 year-old electronic sound machine which is now in my living room because the LectroFan has taken it's place in the bedroom. Unlike many other sounds machines, there are no croaking frogs, buzzing insects, birds, thunder, etc.. on the LectroFan. Somebody finally got it right, with great audio and the exact sounds that many people will find useful.

The twenty different sounds on the LectroFan are enough to allow for experimentation so that you can cancel or reduce various annoying, loud, or otherwise unwanted sounds from noisy neighbors, street noise, construction, etc. and I think that this could be very helpful for tinnitus noise as well, especially the white noise sounds at just the right frequency, whether for sleeping or otherwise.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad, I am in no way affiliated with the manufacturer of this product, just a satisfied customer. For more info, see their website, or check it out on that big online retailer we all know - the unit is quite small, highly portable, powered by A/C or USB, and not expensive. I predict that this product will spawn others, which will further the cause of peaceful sleep and waking hours.

2. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have the exact same one!! The fan noises do help me to get sleep.

I would highly recommend it.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Luman
      I have never heard of the Lectrofan but looked at the website and seems like a nice product.

I use an Oasis sound machine which is specificially made for people with tinnitus. Comes with a variety of sounds similar to the Lectrofan. Both good for people with tinnitus to use at night.

When using these devices it's important that the person sets the volume level of the "sound enrichment" slightly below the tinnitus for night time use. This will enable the brain to habituate to the tinnitus. It is important that the sounds do not mask or cover-up the tinnitus so that it can't be heard. Unless the brain can hear the tinnitus habituation will be more difficult and in some cases not occur.

Just wanted to mention this.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Thanks for this review. If you're an astroturfer, you have done a splendid job :) Kidding aside...

I have actually run a fan 24/7 for many years now, and in the wintertime the large fan can feel a little weird when it's freezing outside.

It's crucial there's no looping, at least my hearing is very sensitive to any loops.

I'm going to look into this as a potential replacement to my real fan. One other major player is of course Sound Oasis and their products, but I don't really need the huge selection of sounds, I'm so accustomed to the fan noise.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I do not have a PHD in mathematics, computer science, or anything for that matter, but I have read that the designers of these products used an innovative algorithm to create the Lectrofan's non-looping sounds. I think you'll like it, there are audio samples online which you can try.

6. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Marko Nakovski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Luman Hello there. I see that you have Lectrofan device. I was planning to buy some of their product but cant decide which one . Do you know the difference between Lectrofan classic or Lectrofan EVO (they are both the same just EVO have 2 ocean sounds and you can connect headphones as far as I know ) and Sound+Sleep classic or Sound+Sleep mini? I think that Sound+Sleep devices have more types of sounds to choose from and have timer on them. However they are also more expensive so I'm not sure which device should I buy.