Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Tinnitus Talk, Apr 20, 2019.

1. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I just read @dfl's update and have been reading @Redknight and everyone else who have posted their experiences, good and bad. I just really want to express my gratitude that you have taken the time to share with us.

It really does make a difference to me as I wait my turn, both in helping me make an informed decision on whether to spend the time and money on this and more importantly to give me some hope that there really is a potentially effective treatment.

So thank you all.

• Agree Agree x 11
      • Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I was also asking myself how much influence the sounds of Lenire treatment actually have. I still can't imagine that some white noise combined with piano sounds triggers any neuroplasticity or changes in the DCN. Somebody has any idea?

In Desyncra the sound stimulus and timing was crucial. In Lenire it sounds like it's not.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      You are correct. The sounds themselves have very little influence, as Dr. O’Neill has stated it is about getting enough stimulation into the auditory system.

The timings of the electronic pulses in relation to the pseudo-random pure tones however is very important.

I’m not even sure the timings of Desyncra really were that important. I’m convinced this whole technology is just based around residual inhibition (in that playing frequencies where you have hearing loss & tinnitus will temporarily reduce symptoms) and you can get the same result just loading up a tone generator online.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I'm sorry if I offended anyone. That wasn't my intention. I just wish people would put a disclaimer up if they have had tinnitus for less then 1-1½ years, that their improvement could be due to natural healing.

But I applaud anybody who has chosen to share their experience with this treatment. And I would hope that every one of you gets a reduction in tinnitus. I am happy for all of you who have success with this.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Redknight

Redknight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @dfl

It's great that Lenire has helped you too, I know exactly how you feel about it giving you some of your concentration back and letting you get back on your feet.

You mentioned that you are half way through, did Neuromod adjust your device yet? It gave me a little worsening of my tinnitus for a day or two after they did it at 6 weeks, but back to normal now.

Did they change the music for you? A few others have had their music changed to tonal beeps, with no music.

Thanks.

A

• Like Like x 9
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Regarding the Bluetooth controversy:
      I checked and Ross O'Neill has an Electronic and Electrical Engineering degree with first class honors, AND he was a Senior Software Engineer for two years.

I think he knows what Bluetooth is and knows what a codec is and knows the differences between wired and wireless signal transmission.

Also, he probably spotted that the project he spent over a decade of his life on is using a Bluetooth headset.

So I think we're going to be just fine.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
    7. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      "Hey, how did they overcome the lag issue with Bluetooth radios?"
      "Don't worry about it, they have PhD's."

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      It is, though. The video interview talked about how timing mattered a lot (and was a key improvement vs. MuteButton). And Lim's audio talked about how mixing up the timing half-way through the treatment also mattered.

• Like Like x 2
    9. GlennS

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      top_men_indiana_jones.gif

Something engineers have trouble taking to heart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

• Like Like x 2
    10. Ivkopivko
      Speechless

Ivkopivko Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know, probably motorsport + headphones for last years
      I do understand why @GlennS and @JohnAdams are still fluffing around, not just with this Bluetooth timing/lag thing, but in overall.

It's partly Neuromod's fault caused by the lack of communication and with some of the questions not clearly answered, they left us boiling in our own uncertainty and speculations.

If I was Hubert or Ross, I would create an account here and address all these speculations for good. Invite those guys for a few shots of Irish whiskey altered by a few pints of Guinness to maybe discuss the matter of the treatment and Bluetooth... only if not.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. TibuJenkins

TibuJenkins Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal with suction by ENT
      Are you sure? I think it would be best to replace all of the engineers and PhDs of Neuromod with the collective commentators of this thread. That is clearly the only way we will be able to fix and refine the device so it truly works. I am emailing their corporate board as we speak.

• Funny Funny x 8
      • Genius Genius x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    12. hans799
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am so glad that the internet's top doctors and engineers are here to help Neuromod out. Obviously, a few less-than-stellar subjective experiences (from users who haven't even finished the treatment yet) invalidate the 500-person clinical trial they did, or a suggestion that they used the wrong type of headphone invalidates the 8+ years of engineering work they did. The investors who just sank 8 million euros into the company on September 26 obviously didn't do any due diligence beforehand, either.

Neuromod finally unmasked as the band of incompetents and scammers they are! We can close the thread now.

• Funny x 9
      • Winner x 3
      • Like x 1
      • Agree x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    13. GlennS

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      All we're saying is if they just put a damn wire between the headphones and Lenire then we would have one fewer variable to worry about. There's nothing unreasonable to suggest that and it doesn't warrant the sarcasm. It's not like they can make the tongue-tip wireless, so what's really the benefit? Reliability trumps convenience with a medical device.

I may not be a doctor but I code for a living and know first-hand what over-complexity does as far as trying to insure reliability and chasing down anomalies. You're dealing with a condition that is elusive as it is. Don't add a point of failure if you don't have to.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Genius Genius x 2
    14. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      "How did they overcome the lag issues with the Bluetooth radios?"
      "I don't know and I don't care but the people that are simply asking these questions are wrong for doing so. How dare they question the Neuromod engineers."

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      Even though I think Neuromod will never help me because of the nature of my tinnitus, I am also grateful for people taking the time to answer there, and also am so happy for those of you that are better. And guess what, your therapy is not finished yet!

Wish you the best and that you will continue to improve and why not kill those f@ck@ng sounds in your head :)

• Like Like x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Why do you think that Gabriel? What makes your tinnitus different?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    17. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      If you let me interrupt for a brief moment in the midst of all this non-stop sleuthing and arm-chair critiquing, I'm happy to say that we have a second interview with Neuromod in the works.

We scoured this thread and consulted a few people - we now have numerous good questions to ask.

You can expect the interview to be published later this month, as part of our Tinnitus Talk Podcast. Which by the way is no simple feat to do properly. @Hazel calculated that we spend anywhere between 60 and 70 hours per each podcast episode. And as usual, there will be a transcription available.

• Like x 30
      • Winner x 11
      • Agree x 1
      • Helpful x 1
      • Hug x 1
      • Genius x 1
    18. hans799
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is perfectly sensible to suggest that a wire would have been simpler. I have been frustrated over the thread's negativity and wrote an unnecessarily harsh reply. I sincerely apologize, Glenn.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      This is what I've been trying to say for almost a year now. Neuromod really falls short when it comes to their lack of communication.

They need to have one person answering inquiries, and clearing up speculation and give us facts on the device. But they just don't seem interested. It's part of their business model that puts me off.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      That sounds great! You guys should ask them if Nootropics that promote faster neuroplastic changes in the brain would potentiate the effects of the device.

• Like Like x 1
    21. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Simpler, more reliable, and not prone to timing issues other than the rate of electrical conduction which is near light speed and constant.

As a holder of a Master's Degree in Engineering Technology and a former adjunct instructor in college level electronics engineering with years of experience, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the use of Bluetooth over a wired headset, when it has been established that milliseconds count, and the tongue tip being wired is MAJORLY IDIOTIC and UNNECESSARY and ADDS COST.

Remember, the principal investigator for their TENT-A trial, Berthold Langguth, is also on their scientific advisory board. (conflict?)

AND

There was no actual placebo group. (not scientific)

:whistle:

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    22. GlennS

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Understood. I pushed the envelope on the Raiders meme and wouldn't go so far as to out and out name-call the way @JohnAdams just did, but (and this is a BIG but) if it turns out down the road that erratic Bluetooth timing winds up interfering with the treatment's efficacy, it will be a real foolish blunder on their part. It's just that audio devices in general are trending towards elimination of headphone jacks so from a marketing perspective it seems more "hip" and "modern" to go wireless. I think it's a case of marketing winning out over prudence. Hopefully it will be a non-issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      Hey John,

I totally agree with you about the idiotic choice of Bluetooth over wired and I think that in the end it might have just been a selling point decision in the end. Hopefully it does not interfere enough with timing issues etc.

Regarding the placebo group I have an extremely small trust in placebo groups as a scientific measurement of success of a treatment. There is so much bashing about antidepressants for example that in their studies they barely work better than placebo.

But did they actually subgroup the findings? No they didn't, and since tinnitus is a brain issue, how would a placebo group work. Will you have subgroups of placebo patients? Since they literally have no clue how the brain works placebo itself is misguiding in this respect.

I would say that just looking at the user reports it is by far the best damn news since Trobalt. Is it a cure? Of course not. Should they have used wired headphones? Probably. And yet we have positive results that kind of correspond to their claims.

Will there be better solutions in the future? Of course. Question is if it is worth your dollar to try Lenire now or wait for something better.

For me, that is a super easy equation...

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    24. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Ruse
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      I think the Bluetooth headphones are a case of “hey look what we can do”. I am not sure they add much value but apparently everyone wants wireless technology these days.

Important to note that there will always be latency (even when using wired headphones) if you consider that the sounds are generated digitally and not from analog components.

This may only be as little as a few ms though I think this is an important design consideration with or without Bluetooth headphones IF the timings have to be accurate to the nearest ms.

• Like Like x 1
    26. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I bet it was some goofy design team that didn't want two wires coming off of the device which constrained the engineering team. The thing about the lag from the digital sounds is that it can be compensated for because it will always be constant. The Bluetooth radios just add even more latency. Maybe they are using a codec that has a lag that is always the same. I don't know. If it had been me, I would have gone with wired.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It's not the latency that is a problem: it's its variability. With a constant latency, you can delay the other signal by whatever amount you need to get the offset you want.

• Agree Agree x 5
    28. Ruse
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      Yes of course! I’m not suggesting the potential variability does not add an extra layer of complexity.

However one would hope that if they were smart enough to understand the digital latency from the “mp3 player” they would also be smart enough to at least be aware of the above Bluetooth considerations.

Edit: In the unlikely scenario they haven’t factored this in, look on the positive side - what a great update that would be to improve the device significantly.

• Like Like x 3
    29. Heinrich_S7
      Psychedelic

Heinrich_S7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Uncertain
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      • Like Like x 1
    30. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes I doubt they haven't looked into this indeed. I'm just curious about their solution to address Bluetooth latency.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1