Lenire — Bimodal Stimulation Treatment by Neuromod

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Tinnitus Talk, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Legal issues and Lenire:
      I wasn't sure if this topic got covered, but it seems to me that there could be problems for those living outside EU, coming in for a treatment.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding, that if one declares upon entry at the customs, that he/she is bringing in a medical device which wasn't approved by the authorities inside their country of residence, it will get confiscated.

If one does not declare this device and gets caught, it will also get confiscated, along with a possible charge and a red flag, that will insure he/she now gets automatically searched every time when coming in from abroad.

Yes, I realize that this device looks like your average MP3 player of sorts, but sooner or later (after few people declare it), the custom agents will catch on and circulate a memo about a medical device bearing the name Lenire and the attempts to smuggle it inside.

Considering that one is required to go back and forth to Ireland with this device 3 times (not counting the assessment trip at which the device is not yet issued), it would take some luck to pull it off without being detected, especially after some questioning about the purpose of the trips and some people getting understandably nervous.

I would like to get some opinions on this issue from other members if possible, along with any corrections to my reasoning (which is based on mixture of life experience and educated guesses).

Thank you everyone for reading my post.

2. F-u-T

F-u-T Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      I think Lim brought his knowledge but just as important to Neuromod is his credibility in the scientific industry. That will be valuable for a US launch and FDA approval.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Are there any circumstances when I could purchase or bring an unapproved drug or device into the U.S.?

The FDA has guidance for personal importation of drug or device products. Below provides information regarding situations for which this might be allowed:

• Product is not for treatment of a serious condition and there is no known significant health risk (Over the Counter, OTC); and
      • Product is for the treatment of a serious condition ( Prescription Drug Products):
        • The product is for a serious condition for which effective treatment may not be available domestically either through commercial or clinical means.
        • There is no known commercialization or promotion of the product to persons residing in the U.S.
        • The product does not represent an unreasonable risk.
        • The consumer affirms in writing that the product is for personal use.
        • The quantity is generally not more than a three month supply and either:
          1. Provide the name and address of the doctor licensed in the U.S. responsible for your treatment with the product, or
          2. Provide evidence that the product is for the continuation of a treatment begun in a foreign country.
      Can I purchase or bring biological or medical device products from a foreign country to the U.S.?
      The same criteria applies to biological products and medical devices as human drug products.

Source: https://www.fda.gov/industry/import-basics/personal-importation

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm here for work for a while, not sure if I'll still be in Hong Kong when the time to be in Ireland comes around. But I did get wrecked flying here from the States. 20 hours of flying and 3 different planes. But I will still be willing to fly to Ireland from here if I have to.

5. F-u-T

F-u-T Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      I don’t think it is worth spending much time worrying about this. Lenire is a pair of headphones, MP3 player, and magic tongue tickler. I doubt customs is going to issue an APB for the few units that will be brought back to the US before it is available here. Now if you load up a backpack full of good ole Peruvian Flake and try to come back into the USA you may run into some problems.

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. Shelly75

Shelly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      There are more testimonials on their YouTube channel.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. zhiyuan
      Depressed

zhiyuan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sudden hearing loss
      I am a grad student. Is there anyway to stay in Dublin for the whole period of treatment? I think I should try to find some international internship in Dublin but it seems there are not many opportunities.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Please do try to remember that skeptical cynicism is much more normal for Brits and the Irish and some other Europeans as compared to Americans. I do understand it’s annoying and unsettling when people criticise something that represents a great hope, but I don’t think it’s fair to swoop on anyone who says anything negative.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you for this info.

10. LongWait

LongWait Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      I'm on the waiting list for Lenire, I had a response. Hopefully I will get an appointment that someone cancelled. I live in England.

11. LongWait

LongWait Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Concert
      I was reading that Susan Shore's device targets the trigeminal nerve, the same as Lenire, but her device also targets two other nerves C1,C2 somatosensory. So it seems to be similar.

• Informative Informative x 4
    12. TinMan2019

TinMan2019 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety / Unknown
      A question to those who have already visited the Neuromod office.

I'm preparing to make my final travel arrangements (as in getting from the airport to the office).

Can I just rent / hire a car from Dublin airport or am I better off using other methods of transport such as a Uber or whatever public transport there is? Is there free parking? My preferred method would be to rent a car. However knowing European cities, sometimes this can be more of a hindrance. Thanks in advance. I promise to keep the community updated with every step of my progress.

Again best regards and good luck to all.

Just want to add another note. I do my best to keep off the forums, just because the more I read, the louder my tinnitus becomes... So excuse the low post quantity. I will however be updating my progress. Truth be told, knowing treatment is around the corner, I honestly find my tinnitus a lot less bothersome. So that's a positive right there. I hope it doesn't do a u-turn in that the treatment doesn't work, and puts me back in a place I was when I first got it.. I'm not a pessimist though, so staying very positive!

• Like Like x 3
    13. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I hope you have already signed up to our Lenire User Experience Group (see the banner at the top of the thread).

@PeterPan is the project manager (he, I and @Hazel just had a conference call today finalizing the details).

Being part of the group isn't very taxing at all, and you can do it while being off the forums (we'll email surveys to track your progress). In turn, you'll help the community and other potential patients wanting to try Lenire in the future.

It's also worth noting that your identity and personal information will not be revealed to anyone and we will protect your anonymity when publishing results from the group.

Best of luck to you.

• Like Like x 2
    14. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      There is an app called Free Now which is the Irish equivalent of Uber. It took us about 20 mins from and to the airport, quite close.

There was plenty of parking but not sure if it was free. The Neuromod Office is in this big clinic/hospital type facility.

There’s a big cafe on site as well.

We wanted to avoid all stress so we got a cab using the app for our first visit. The city felt much smaller and less chaotic than London. We stayed at a hotel by the airport.

@TinMan2019

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    15. Annpann

Annpann Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Could you please tell me what the taxi cost? I have my initial appointment in October.

16. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      You're not the first to raise this concern, and I suggest everyone just adopt a Fight Club mentality and keep these concerns to themselves so as not to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    17. Lurius
      Sad

Lurius Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva maneuver
      It's funny, I just logged on to ask exactly those questions @Candy. :) Did you have to pay anything for the Uber? Was it very pricey? What was the name of the hotel? When do you go back to pick up your device? Sorry, I'm just very curious.

18. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hermitage Medical Centre.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    19. GlennS

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Those bricks look familiar. If they were only yellow.

giphy.gif

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It's actually a very nice building and grounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      -Taxi was €32.
      -We stayed at the Clayton Hotel near the airport (shuttle to take you there).
      -Going back first week of August.

• Like Like x 6
      • Winner Winner x 2
    22. Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      The 777 takes to a shopping centre called the Livery (I think) which is about a mile away. Can be done on foot.

23. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I've recently read about the Neuromod Lenire device and it looks to me like another medical con people will laugh about in years to come. Of course I hope I'm wrong. But I think it's going to join the list of wobble machines and abs electric pulse exercise tools.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Annpann

Annpann Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      Time will tell. I am certainly prepared to give it a chance.

• Like Like x 2
    25. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      The difference between those and Bimodal Neuromodulation is that the latter is proven to work for its intended use through clinical trials.

The question now is more more geared towards how much improvement will we get rather than whether it works at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    26. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      But that's what scams rely on. People prepared to pay money to "give it a go"! It seems like homeopathy-esque nonsense but I'd be glad to be wrong.

27. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      But scams don't have large costly clinical trials like Neuromod did. If it were a scam, there would be no way for them to make a Return On Investment because there would be no more income after the first wave; they would be knowingly wasting money into building scientific efficacy and infrastructure. Reputable university professors such as Dr. Hubert Lim would not be putting their reputations on the line with this company going into their payroll if it were a scam. A scam would never do this because a scam would never work that way, it would be a huge waste of the scammer's time and money. They would never profit. All the indications say this is not a scam.

• Agree Agree x 10
      • Like Like x 1
    28. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      I don’t mean to be rude but please do some research before posting nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 11
      • Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    29. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      You obviously haven’t been reading enough then.

There are three organization studying this technology and treatment and we have seen it work with forum members. I understand being skeptical, but I can guarantee this is not a scam.

There is actual science backing this and it doesn’t have to do with emotional decrease in THI like sound therapies.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    30. GlennS

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I guess I spoke too soon to think I could retire this GIF.

giphy.gif

• Funny Funny x 7
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1