Act Now Let's Celebrate Tinnitus Talk Supporters!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hazel, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      We always feel humbled when people decide to donate to us. It’s so awesome to know that there are people out there who value our work enough to want to support us financially!

We want to take this opportunity to put the limelight on our wonderful donors. Any donation size, big or small, carries great value for us. Hence, we encourage those who donated to post here and talk about why they felt compelled to support Tinnitus Talk.

We hope our donors know how much we value them. We would literally have to close this site if it weren’t for them. And we could never have expanded our activities into new areas like podcasting without them either.

We are the only tinnitus organization run by people with tinnitus. We’re doing our absolute best to provide a great service, but it’s a constant struggle with limited resources, while volunteering next to our day jobs and struggling with tinnitus ourselves. So, we could not be more grateful for your generous support!

Our only steady source of income is individual donations. Unfortunately, our expenditures often exceed our income. In the spirit of transparency, we provided a tentative budget for the year 2021 below to indicate how your money will be spent. As you can see, we have NO office or salary costs.

If you want to keep this show on the road, act below!

tinnitustalk-divider.png

approximate-annual-costs-2021.png

• Informative x 5
      • Hug x 4
      • Like x 2
      • Friendly x 2
      • Winner x 1
    2. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud live music show
      I made the decision to donate because Tinnitus Talk has helped me more than any other resource. Specifically:
      • It's been invaluable having a place to discuss different treatments and coping strategies, e.g. white noise, hearing aids, strategies for working, sleeping, habituating, etc. This is something no doctor or other medical institution can provide.
      • None of my friends and family have tinnitus, and so no one in my life truly understands what I am going through.. This can be very isolating. The friendly community here at Tinnitus Talk helps me feel much less alone in this world.
      • I really appreciate the research summaries which help me keep up with the latest in the field for a cure. This is much easier than trying to look for papers on my own.
      I want to see all of this continue, and that is why I was happy to donate.

• Like Like x 6
      • Winner Winner x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I donated because I think this is the only organization that I know of that really has our interests as tinnitus sufferers at heart.

I have seen over the last two years how Tinnitus Talk has made itself part of the conversation with researchers and at conferences, making sure that it is heard again and again that tinnitus is a serious condition, that current habituation treatments don’t work for our community, and that what we really need is a treatment that actually improves our symptoms, not our attitude towards it.

I encourage other Tinnitus Talk members to put your money where your mouth is; if you want a powerful advocacy group you need to pay for it.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I donated recently and will donate again in the near future!!!

Gotta put your money where your mouth is if you want real change in the tinnitus space!

• Like x 4
      • Winner x 4
      • Agree x 1
      • Hug x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I donated last week, and I try to contribute at various points throughout the year. Running a site like this takes A LOT of hard work and dedication. It amounts to having an extra unpaid full-time job on your schedule, so I feel more appreciation wouldn't go amiss for all the invaluable work that goes on here. That is why I donate.

Imagine a world where Tinnitus Talk doesn't exist.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Love this! This is what it's all about. Maybe I missed it, but any way that this could be linked to a banner on the main page?

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
    7. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Many moons...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This site is here when I need it, and I find it's a real lifeline at times of crisis. Thank you, Tinnitus Talk, for being there when we need you! <3

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      I feel humbled to donate to Tinnitus Talk, because without you guys and this amazing forum, I would have been truly lost in life.

I am forever singing your praises. I can’t thank you enough.

I think it’s time to up my monthly donation!

And for those of you who are wondering whether you should donate or not, if you can afford to — do it!

Remember, without money we can’t progress in the tinnitus world. And let’s face it, whether habituated or not, we all want a cure.

Much love to you all.

Steph x

• Winner Winner x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I donated to try to offset the insane ideas and toxicity I have been known to interject into the dialog here ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
    10. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      I donated for sustaining this community of people that know the hardship of living with tinnitus. Tinnitus Talk has become more than I ever expected it to be, speaking with researchers, attending events, collecting data and so much more, while having our interests in mind. Tinnitus Talk deserves every dollar it receives and more.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I remember.

The first time severe tinnitus and hyperacusis, suddenly and without warning, invaded my brain was in 2002. The first time I used the internet and found a support board.

There is a very long story of my struggles and success. That is for another time.

Many had forgotten me or decided to ignore me because I was not a part of the "popular" ones for speaking out about the severity of tinnitus on me and a close friend back in the day. This impacted me emotionally and made me fade away from the internet support. It silenced me.

And then my path guided me to Tinnitus Talk, eventually. I made a few friends here and still look in once in a while. This past year has been a health struggle for me so I haven't been online or involved much at all.

I have always maintained the deepest respect for @Markku and @Hazel and remember how hard they and @Steve worked to keep this site for all of you and decided to continue to donate to this community especially at this time of year. I just listened to the latest Tinnitus Talk Podcast and it is one of the best so far!! It was great hearing the voices behind the names.

I hope others will also donate if possible. Hazel put the expenses above to keep this community here for everyone and so much is done with so little funding sources. It amazes me to see all that has transpired.

This is my first post in quite a while so I am nervous about even posting... not sure why.

In the spirit of giving back, please accept my donation.

Sincerely,
      Jen

• Winner Winner x 7
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. JPGL
      Frustrated

JPGL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss? Noise? Stress? Unknown
      I have donated to Tinnitus Talk before and now just donated again.

I also completed the new survey. This forum provides me with invaluable support, is very active, looking out for my interests, always at the forefront of tinnitus research, and constantly advocating for the search of a cure.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      I donate to Tinnitus Talk. I can judge the merits and the dedication of our site directors, and how their heart and soul is in the cause. Who else can you turn to? Not many. It is remarkable how Tinnitus Talk has over the years become my personal diary, a document of what I was doing at various points, my challenges and hurdles.

Being health related makes it an easy decision to donate. I understand the value of health and the deep, dark despair anguish of losing it. Coping with the negative emotions is the worst.

Tinnitus Talk offers what is the hardest thing to provide, emotional support. Besides being comprehensive and up to date, this site helps you avoid scam predators, and shows you what you can actually do for your tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I donated because Tinnitus Talk is the only true source of information and is ran by people looking to bring effective treatments to the table, for satisfaction over profit!

• Like Like x 3