LET'S MEET Together for a Celebration When a Cure Is Found!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ozzy, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      I am fine for any place in North America.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Me, too, actually! Let's hope we have something to celebrate soon.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Me too, where do you live?

Yea I think California would be cool, or Florida.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I live in the Atlanta area; it's a great city, but it would be more interesting to have it somewhere else!

5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I would be willing to go anywhere where I could shake your hands, see your faces and hear your voices. Anywhere.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      I will be there for sure ! We would all want to find the most peaceful quiet place and enjoy the silence - together Cher x

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. SISKO
      Suicidal

SISKO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I am with u. No matter which city or country. With 50% reduction in loudness I would count this as cured.

Hope we will see something in near future. Let's say 3-5 years ? Might be to optimistic .... Don't know.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I actually have a question related to the medical systems. Depends pn the country of course but do you think if a cure comes the insurance will cover it or it will be for a pay?
      If the cure comes out in 5 years it will probably reach Estonia in 15 years so im optimistic:D

9. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Yes, in Germany everybody has to have health insurance by law. So if there will be a cure ( has to be proven to work with real studies ) we will only pay 5 € at the pharmacy in case of medication (called 'recipe fee' ) and the rest will be covered by insurance. But as I said only if it's proven to really help otherwise not. I guess it's the same for many other European countries like the Netherlands, Belgium and probably Scandinavia.
      In the US and other countries without a real health system it will probably be a huge problem because not everybody will be able to afford the cure/meds I guess.

10. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      In the states, it will depend on the "cure" and if clinical studies have shown it to be effective. Off label treatments, like using HBOT for tinnitus, usually are not covered until enough research is done for the FDA to approve it being used for the off label condition. Insurers also try to pay for as little as possible. Pretty much everything I have done for my T that does not involve traditional ENT visits and tests-- acupuncture, Neuromonics -- I have had to pay for myself.

I am anticipating the same will continue as new tinnitus treatments emerge.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Dan Turner
      Transparent

Dan Turner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Youse guys.<G

I think the cure will happen at a faster pace than say 15-20 years ago. It's a prevalent disability to the military in the US...they have just enough money (hopefully) to help resolve problems like this.

When that does happen....I'm good for standing someplace at a specific time and raising a big glass of something to toast everyone with us today and those that could not wait any longer....and one especially difficult broken heart event for a co-founder of a CompuServ SIG on Tinnitus many years ago. She helped a lot of people through their first year and then a downward spiral happened to her that she couldn't pull out of.

http://www.danielturnerbuilders.com/2000_yard_stare.htm

Heck....here's a "cyber clink" to everyone today that is standing by to jump in line for that treatment when it finally happens and becomes available. You guys and gals keep pushing on.

AS we say in the South...."Propino tibi salute...Y'all!!!"

Dan Turner
      Conyers, Ga

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      When a cure for this condition is found or at least something that makes it more bearable, we definitely have to meet and celebrate! For that occasion we should celebrate with a bottle of nice champagne!

Until then we just have to try to stay positive about life. It is always very sad that some people with tinnitus haven't been able to see the good sides in life even with tinnitus any more.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      We should meet somewhere beautiful and very quiet :D
      Then we could all lie in fetal positions and play out loud that Simba Lion King song..
      We can also just do the first part, count me in!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I don't like to fly so I'll come from America on the train. I'll bring a brass band with me!!!! Finally we'll enjoy some music.

15. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I'm still waiting, but it's getting harder and harder.

16. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      What an exciting event!!!

17. Rocknrory
      Inspired

Rocknrory Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Exposure
      So down for a celebration. I will travel anywhere in the world to party it up with all of you. I've told my friends that when this sound goes away completely for good, I will party like no one has ever partied before. It must be for 3 days. Minimum. By the time I'm done partying, I will need to sleep for 24hrs straight. Groovy music will be involved, as well as many wonderful people, and so much more. I'll bring my camera and take a magnificent group picture of all of us with the biggest grins on our faces that we've ever had.

Until this moment comes, and it will come, stay positive, improve yourself inside and out on multiple levels, and just remember, Bob Marley said "Every little thing is gonna be alright." :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      I pray for a cure for us!!!!and yes I will be there!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    19. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Count me in !

I guess we will recognise each other easily as we would be the guys with the biggest friggin smile !

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    20. Gill Hayes
      Happy

Gill Hayes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress I think
      Count me in ! I'm in England so not that far for me but if a cure is ever found (and it will be) for this stupid, irritating condition I would travel to the ends of the Earth to celebrate with my fellow tinnitus comrades ! Here's to that day being sooner rather than later !!
      In the meantime let's keep supporting each other through the good and bad days we face. You know what, we get through each day / week / month / year with this condition that quite frankly would scare the sh*t out of anybody and WE do it ! How f@cking strong are we ?!?!?!!!
      Love, hugs and respect guys. Xx

• Like Like x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    21. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I would love to meet you all and more eager to throw that tinnitus miracle book from the top of that tower

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      another tinnitus suicide... I know its dark, but a count should be kept to dispute the "therapy" community's talking point that tinnitus doesn't lead to increased likelihood of killing oneself- it seems like that would be something that the ATA would track as it could highlight the seriousness of the condition to a skeptical medical community, I think tinnitus sufferers are about the only group who are done a dis-service by their own advocay groups... sad, but with "leaders" from the therapy community intwined with the ATA its not hard to see how the meager resources raised have basically been squandered.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    23. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      i'm crossing my fingers for the results of richard tyler's 100k music therapy experiment funded by the ATA to be released... hilarious and sad... I'm sure these hacks have to be intimidated by the work going on in actual brain biochemistry currently-- this should have been done 20 years ago but knowing who was on the scientific advisory panel its not suprising that it languised--- by the way - still tinnitus free- sat in an audiologists booth with noice-canceling headphones on for 5 minutes...heard nothing-- my story has reached certain highter ups in the tinnitus community and my audiologist said the general tendency from the people he has talked to regarding my case is that I just habituated

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    24. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Well, isn't it fortunate that some of us - without a medical degree - know the difference between words such as "habituation" and "cured"...?

Glad to see you doing well, my friend.

May it continue.

• Like Like x 1
    25. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Well, they hear what they want to hear I guess. Not only are you tinnitus free, you have also disproven the Heller & Bergman study.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Yep... that's too much to handle in one afternoon for a medical community founded on audiology principles dating back to the 1970s...

27. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      our good friend was probably too busy getting aroused by the"elegance" of the heller and bergman "experiment" back during his ATA years to ever asks simple questions of why lidocaine may temporarily abolish tinnitus and how that could pave the path for future inquiry...
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/lidocaine-temporarily-diminished-my-tinnitus.7253/#post-82392

28. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      I totally agree on this. 2 main reasons. T is becoming more common, we will have a big generation of T sufferers. This creates pressure for research for a cure. 2nd reason is that its quite recent that they actually found out the mechanics of tinnitus. What exactly it is that is going on and that it is a brain issue aswell as an ear issue. Now that they actually know how T works it will be easier to aim for a cure compared to before when it pretty much were shots in the dark. So keep your hopes up, guys. This research is acceclerating in the right direction.

• Like Like x 1
    29. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I'd be there. I could be there in 3 hours i think. But unfortunatley i'm not so confident a cure will be found. But fingers crossed.

30. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      We'd need to be careful we didn't party so much that we'd get tinnitus all over again.

• Funny Funny x 2