Let's Talk About the Things You'd Like to Achieve in 5 Years

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by victoria9273, Aug 27, 2017.

1. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      Say 5 years - that's a long time you can do something for a while. There can be anything you'd like to achive or develop in your capacity.

It can be anything; do you want to play as many games as possible? Do you want to write, or learn the instruments? Do you like to get your ear condition get better? Let's talk and inspire each other.

As for me, I'd like to learn other European languages. My biggest passion lies in German, but I'm thinking of studying French, Spanish, Italian, and Latin as well. Those grammatical genders and verbs inflection are overwhelming, but I'm not daunted.

And I want to have Jazz piano lessons and listen and copy as many music as possible(with low volumes and good speakers :)). I don't want to only watch other people flourish in their skills, I want to do it myself and be satisfied.

I'm keeping a commonplace book too, where I duplicate some of the most touching and impressive sentences in books and which I'll be keeping for the years to come. Before this book, I just read books away and really didn't enjoy reading, for it was tiresome and mostly incomprehensible and difficult. But now I thoroughly enjoy reading, because I'm constantly searching and hunting for good sentences and there are so many.

One last thing, I'm going to master the history of English development and syntax (X'bar theory, especially) through books. I really enjoyed when I was first introduced to them.

• Like Like x 2
    2. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Get rid of my tinnitus. Really my only goal.

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      I wish you good luck in your future. You'll experience many things at the same time.

4. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Thanks. You too

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It took my 67 year old mom 1.5 years to learn Spanish. She used to watch shows in Spanish with subtitles. This helped her to get a bit of "immersion." Now she can watch shows without subtitles.

• Like Like x 1
    6. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's great to set long term goals, have projects and develop yourself! :) I really like seeing people do this.
      I sometimes think of it as the idea of giving a whole group of people photo cameras and a week of time to come up with ten photos. Everyone is then forced to make some choices, depending on their personality. Some will choose color, black and white, portraits, landscapes, daily life, abstract art, textures, etc. Now, imagine doing this over years and seeing how people develop and what they come up with. I think it's a shame that many people are so busy in their daily lives that we'll never get to see what unique vision they had within them and what they could have brought to the world.

I also have many interests and would like to do many things, such as reading a list of books, create a themed photo album, improve my cooking and baking, learn new languages, etc. etc. But if I had to pick one thing, then it would be music. Due to tinnitus and other problems, I've been unable to be very productive in actually creating music. I've practiced a whole lot and played with others, but as for my own music, I haven't released anything. Meanwhile, I have tons of unfinished demos, ideas, and dare I say, a somewhat unique musical vision.
      If there's anything I'd absolutely have to do within the next five years, it would be to make a couple of albums with my original music. A bonus would be to add self-produced music videos and art work as well.

7. jadebug
      Depressed

jadebug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial-Aug 2011 Increase- May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown; possibly antidepressants
      In five years I'd like to have done well in all of my college courses and graduate with my nursing degree. I would love to be working in the NICU where I can help save and care for premature babies. I would also like to make new friends and adopt a dog!

• Hug Hug x 3
    8. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Get my life in order so I can start having one.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      That is an awesome career ambition! My son was a preemie and spent his first weeks in a NICU. The nurses were absolutely amazing, they gave us so much strength and support. I wish you good luck!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I am not sure my five year goal, but my short term goal is to learn sign language.

11. jadebug
      Depressed

jadebug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you it's want I've always wanted to do so I really hope T doesn't hold me back! If anything I hope it helps me to be stronger and a more empathetic and compassionate nurse as I'm sure the parents of preemies are very worried and in need of good support and an intelligent team that cares.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Absolutely, you'll be a wonderful NICU nurse! And on the plus, your work environment will be pretty quiet. In my son's NICU they played very quiet lullaby music. Machines beeped a bit occasionally if a monitoring device or oxygen support was jostled, but it was still overall quiet. And preemies have the tiniest cries. I remember being surprised by how softly my son cried.

Don't let T hold you back, you're going to be a great nurse!

• Hug Hug x 2
    13. jadebug
      Depressed

jadebug Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow thanks so much! I really needed some reassurance as my T is so new and has been making me doubt myself. I hadn't even thought about it being quiet either that's even better! I've always adored babies and want to fight for the ones who need the extra care since they can't fight for themselves. Thanks for the positivity it's so important here!

• Hug Hug x 2
    14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you have any particular deaf people in mind that you would like to talk to using sign language?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      That would be a terrific idea. I was originally thinking of playing games in different languages. When you said subtitles, did you mean English subtitles?

16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes.

17. flobo

flobo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      25-30 minutes of first ever concert
      I learnt english very quickly basically the same way, not at school, but watching tv shows in english with french subtitles.

18. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      After losing part of my hearing, I realized just how isolating hearing loss can be. I cannot even imagine how frustrating this must be at times for members of the Deaf community.

I have no one in mind, but I do occasionally notice Deaf persons at stores, medical facilities, etc. It'd be nice to at least say good morning, thank you, excuse me, or any of the other random things I often say to others when I'm out.

And I have friends who know sign language so I can practice.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I will be cheering you on all the way! You will be great with both the babies and the parents. It's so overwhelming for parents -- lots of fear, anxiety, depression, doubt and guilt. You've felt those painful emotions, too. I think you can channel this experience into something good for others. Don't hesitate to message me and keep me posted! You can do this!

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Finish building my race car. Earn my Law Degree. Expand my business. Buy a Home. Get married.

That way when the cure for tinnitus arrives... I haven't lost any time because of tinnitus. I figured that way I won't be so upset that I wasted years of my life with tinnitus.

When I am cured of tinnitus I plan to pick up right where I left off when it started. Traveling and partying. I don't care if the cure comes 40 years from now and I'm 70 by then. You will find me bar hoping and hitting clubs!

"I shall have my revenge on this life or the next"

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I would like to get a second higher education.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Labyrinthine
      Moonlighting

Labyrinthine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      First and foremost: Recover from severe H. Finish my current studies. Study medicine afterwards. Live abroad for some time. Get my anxiety under control. Travel the world with my mates. Be happier than I am now.

• Like Like x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      1. Live in a nice log cabin surrounded by trees, streams and mountains.
      2. Enjoy life with my sons and educate them to the best of my ability.
      3. Try Frequency FX-322 (and maybe Hough Pill).
      4. Be in the best shape of my life and free of any poison/medical drugs bar those in 3.
      5. Write and publish a book for YA or younger.

All dreams, of course, but I intend to try my best to make them all come true in the next 5 years. Screw tinnitus.

• Like Like x 6
    24. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      1) Recover from severe hyperacusis
      2) Convince my employer to give me full time remote work
      3) See some improvement in my eye floaters/tinnitus
      4) Be content

• Like Like x 5
    25. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Retire.

26. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Get in better shape.
      Take my boys to Greece.
      Start enjoying my life again.
      Habituate so I can stop being stuck in this loop of feeling like I have no future beyond mere existence. That would be awesome.

• Hug Hug x 6
    27. Joly

Joly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Traumatisme sonore
      Wait for treatment or crack and die. As Bon Jovi would say, it's my life.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    28. Brians81
      Gloomy

Brians81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 23 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induce trauma
      I know this is late in the thread but here we go.

In five years I would like to lose weight, get in shape, try dealing with life and with my tinnitus even though for now it's mild and hopefully it stays that way.

Then I will see where I can go from there and yes, like the rest of you, hopefully a tinnitus cure or a treatment would help with our situation and I'm praying to God for us all to have that literally.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. frpp

frpp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tmj, Nihl, ototoxic drugs, nerve/ vascular issues
      In 5 years I would like my hearing restored by FX-322, OTO-413, SPI-1005, my tinnitus gone and to move to to the burgundy region of France (where my mother's side was from) and learn to cook and eat in some of the finest restaurants in the world, and be happily content spending the rest of my days drinking wine, cooking, eating and traveling Europe.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      1. Cure tinnitus and pain hyperacusis with FX-322, OTO-413, SPI-1005.

2. Go back to school to become a musician.

3. Get a girl.

4. Be content with my life. If I could cure hyperacusis then nothing would get me down.

• Like Like x 5