Long Time Sufferer... — Tinnitus Got Worse After a Loud Concert

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Besar, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      These meds should be fine to take, but they won't lower blood pressure.

If you experience visual problems, headaches and ear rumbling then your problem may be hypertension bought on by anxiety or stress. - even sudden and very brief moments (just seconds) of rising blood pressure could be causing your tinnitus. Your tinnitus could also be pulsatile in some nature (ear rumbling) where blood flow velocity of the carotid arteries is changed by chaotic pressure with association to stress/tension/blood pressure. If so, you may also have been using incorrect neck posture when under tension. This would show on a doppler ultrasound. Hearing loss does not have to exist.

If you had multiple radiological exams, blood work and ENT exam and nothing was noted, then I would consider taking your blood pressure multiple times a day to see if you have off and on pre hypertension, hypertension or hypotension.

Your home area does have Lyme disease and specific testing would be needed. Your tinnitus and all your symptoms could relate to Lyme. Lyme also can include anxiety. I once lived in your area and noise exposure is the largest tinnitus cause, followed by Lyme, ETD, ear infections, hypertension, and head and neck injury. All these causes can be treated, but most certainly Lyme or hypertension.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi!

I’ve had high BP readings on multiple doctors visits but they always go back down to a normal level. Not sure if it’s the white coat syndrome or what. I’m only 100 lbs, and before all this mddness started I was extremely active and pretty healthy. I’ve sort of lost all ambition to take care of myself after this.

I mentioned to the ENT about my BP and he sort of brushed it off like it wouldn’t be the reason. He didn’t even take my BP actually, which I found odd.

I’ve also had echoing, burning, and sound sensitivity. Idk what the hell us going on ;( but everyone on this site has been SO wonderful, it amazes me the support I’ve received!

3. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Felt like my ears were blaring last week, and for months. Now they still get pretty loud at times but last two days seems like just a lot of “activity.” Also not getting as many “loudness” sensations.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Yes, and as I mentioned this refers to all your complaints as cause from hyperactive blood pressure moments.

This also supports that you were having hyperactive moments. but not a full 'hyperactive crisis' which is a medical term. Cause from getting excited and a parent or other relative may also be prone to this.
      Your tinnitus should resolve in time, but it's important to control getting excited quickly.

If one with your physical complaints besides just tinnitus - walked into a really good trauma ER, one of the first things that they would do is to connect you to a blood pressure monitoring machine. Then the doctor may ask you something to see if your blood pressure changes. If it does, then a head MRI or CT is ordered. The exam will probably show that everything is normal, but there's likely to be some white matter where they will have you see an eye doctor in the near future. All of this for most is just a warning sign that one needs to control hypertense emotions. ER doctors will ask about noise exposures, and audio/ENT exams are required, but with your complaints of headaches and eye vision, ER focus will be on hypertension blood pressure as stated in this link.

https://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/25108/InTech-Evaluation_of_tinnitus_in_the_emergency_department.pdf

I really do think that your tinnitus will resolve.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    5. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Spoke too soon, they’re both going TOTALLY nuts. Had to take a Valium. And they are ticklish for some reason. HOW can ears make this much noise.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is hell on Earth. I’m not kidding. This has got to be what hell is like.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you. I am feeling hopeless and even having some dark thoughts. I feel a lot of “activity” in my ears right now. It’s crazy how this thing changes every day and I am so completely appreciative of everyone on this site. You have all saved me in so many ways lately.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. sssing

sssing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold
      Hi @Tara Lyons , hope you are ok...I find this condition in itself, very traumatising. The medicine to help you calm down is very important, after calming down you won't feel so tensed and it also gives your nervous system a break... If not for those medication, I would have long ago just did something extreme, I relied on those medicine and it helped so much. Seeking support and help is very important and being open about how you feel is also very important. I am glad you have your mum with you too. My dad is really a pillar of support for me. I also had a kind audiologist who supported me emotionally. It is good you are seeking help here. Honestly, I think there really is a very good chance that your tinnitus will get much better if you take good care of your ears. Have hope in the 'veterans' on this site who have fought this beastly condition. Just don't lose hope because there is a very very good chance you will improve.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

thank you :) everyone is so helpful. I took one of the Valium I was prescribed and felt like my heart rate went up. Almost went to ER. anxiety or side effect? Ativan didn’t di that to me.

I just want my life back or at lease a reason whtb
      Thank you :) everyone on this site has been so helpful. Just confused about the symptoms. I had echoing, burning, loudness. ETD related? Every test done. MRI of brain and ears. MRA. Bloodwork. I’m just wondering “why.”

I had a rough night last night. Nighttime seems to be the worst. Couldn’t lay on either ear. Took a Valium, half of one so 1 Mg and felt like I couldn’t breathe and my heart rate went up. Side effect or anxiety? Ativan didn’t do this to me.

I guess I’m just wondering “why” at this point. I crave silence and miss it more than anything.

Thank you for being so helpful. Everyone has been great.

10. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have every confidence that you will come through this @Tara Lyons Keep focused and take each day one at a time. Although you may feel down occasionally, this is normal with this condition but never stop believing that you will get better, just like a member of this forum in post below. I hope it gives you inspiration and anyone else on this thread.

Michael

From darkness into light.

Tinnitus is not an easy condition to live with when it is severe. So it always pleases me to hear when someone habituates and is able to put the passed behind them and look forwards to a brighter future. A forum member contacted me recently to express just that and has agreed for me to include some of his comments although his name has been changed. Anyone having difficulty habituating I hope they will find this post helpful.

Last year Marcus was in a distressed state and convinced he would never see light again at the end of the tunnel. He works as an electrician and while up a ladder one afternoon, suddenly heard a loud ringing coming from a fire alarm that was on a nearby wall. He didn’t pay it much attention and wasn’t concerned about his hearing as he believed it would soon stop. He continued working but this proved not to be a good idea as the alarm continued for another twenty minutes. When it finally stopped and there was complete silence he then noticed ringing in his ears. Over the following days and weeks it gradually became louder and more intrusive.

I remember his out pouring and condemning himself in this forum as if it were yesterday. He couldn’t believe he had done such a thing. Staying in that vicinity with no hearing protection and not coming down off that ladder had resulted in his whole life being turned upside down. With the benefit of hindsight one is often able to see mistakes that could have been easily avoided if they only knew. In his own words life as he once new it was completely over. Married with two young children he enjoyed regularly going out with the family but all that came to an abrupt end. I and other forum members tried to make Marcus look at the positive things in his life and not to give up hope but little of this was having any impact. The walls of negativity that he had built up to surround himself were just too great and it seemed no amount of good advice was able to get through.

His symptoms will be familiar to those that have suffered noise trauma to their auditory system. Intrusive tinnitus with hyperacusis, that can vary considerably especially in the early onset of the conditions. I understood his distress at not being able to enjoy listening to music even as a form of distraction from the noise. Everything sounded distorted to him as if it is coming out of a broken speaker and his ears would hurt when certain sounds were heard. His appointment at ENT was some time away which is often the case when tinnitus is not accompanied by dizziness, balance problems and impaired hearing or continuous pain in the ears.

Contrary to what some believe, the best treatment for tinnitus in the early stages and when there are no additional symptoms, as mentioned above is to leave it alone. The ears and auditory system are very delicate and often right themselves when left alone. Many people habituate to tinnitus within the first six months sometimes a little longer and the condition has been known to go away completely. Marcus had taken time of work, as he just wasn’t in a good place and couldn’t function properly. One good thing is that he was under the care of his GP and taking medication to help cope with his moods. Tinnitus can be such an emotional roller coaster in the early days so often no two days are the same. An antidepressant often helps a person from becoming too down so acts as a safety net when those low points arrive.

Marcus became a frequent visitor to this forum and I believe it helped him, although his outlook on recovery was quite bleak and negative. Perhaps knowing there were people around him in this virtual world of cyberspace, gave him the support and sanctuary that he needed to vent his frustrations which at times I believe were overwhelming. I hadn’t seen him for quite a while but got an acknowledgement from him recently by private messenger. I have omitted my comments.

It changes a lot over time doesn't it. Not just one’s perception of it but the tone itself.
      For me it ranges from a jet engine noise to hum, I used to hear it all the time but now I only hear it in silence.

Just past the 1 year mark for me. Feeling much better now. It sure does take time.
      How's things with you? I really appreciate the help and advice you have offered to me over this time, and the help from other people in the forum.

It's a terrible condition. I did go too see Guns n Roses last weekend at Slane castle. Used professional ear plugs, was a great show and no negative consequences apart from a crazy two day hangover lol

The fact the concert was outdoors made it possible, it still peeked at over 115db at times.
      I still haven’t been seen at ent yet, did bother chasing up the appointment. No point really. I will take your advice and chase up ent and see if I can get an appointment. Just to do the tests.

Yes
      , I'm much much better now, I was in a very dark place. It was a terrible time. Things have improved, the distortion in music has gone and things sound normal again. I can even setup an eq system hear the different frequencies, when I first suffered this I couldn't hear bass, everything sounded flat, really was a bad time, I'm surprised I survived it to be honest.

I now have a new appreciation for sound and music. I just wish I understood this before. I still have slight balance issues but mostly I am happy my hearing has improved, It is very difficult too accept when it happens as I am sure you know.
      I will always use hearing protection at loud events, concerts etc. The guns n roses concert felt fine with my pro plugs in and I noticed many others using plugs too. Good to see.

I’m back at work and able to spend time with my family. Thanks Michael for your advice (even at those times when I didn't believe it)
      Marcus

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    11. sssing

sssing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold
      Do ask your doctor whether it’s Valium causing your heart rate to increase, in that case he can change the medicine to suit you... it should not make you feel worse emotionally in any case. I know the symptoms of loudness and pain. It’s most likely injury to the inner ear or cochlear. I find that Low noise Low stress environments helped to make me feel better. Hang on there:))

• Like Like x 1
    12. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      ;)
      This brings tears to my eyes, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I will let you into a secret @Tara Lyons but promise you wont tell anyone. Everytime I read it it does the same thing to me. Marcus was in a very dark place and was in this forum well into the small hours of the morning. I never thought he'd make it as he was sure his life was over but it wasn't. He visits this forum a lot now to help people and he's quite good at it....

Take care
      Michael

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The loudness comes after I have my white noise machine on. Is that bad? Should I listen to something else?

15. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just seeing this now. Thank you :) making too many friends on here, missed some posts @Michael Leigh

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Michael,
      How do I find those posts you first sent me? Still new to this site.

Thanks, you’re always so helpful :)

17. sssing

sssing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold
      Hi @Tara Lyons, the white noise machine should not be very loud, it should be lower than the volume of your tinnitus. It should not cause you to have loudness or make you feel worse. From what I read, this treatment has to be done with very slow increments so that your ears and brain can slowly get use to sounds. I sometimes use rain or water flowing sounds too.

18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Tara Lyons

Please find below links my posts. I suggest that you print them and refer to them often, as this will help to reinforce positivity towards tinnitus and your life. Reading them once is fine but will soon be forgotten. Tinnitus can affect a person's life profoundly in the early stages and therefore, finding hope purpose and direction is not easy especially when the tinnitus is intrusive. See my posts as a form of counselling and similar to what a tinnitus therapist would discuss with you during regular consultations. They discuss your life and how the tinnitus affects you and try to make you look at your situation differently.

What you are able to do with tinnitus instead of what you can't by accentuating the positive things in your life and focusing on them. Regular counselling helps to reinforce positivity a reconditioning of the mind and one's thinking towards tinnitus. Whenever tinnitus make you feel down try to accept it and work through this slowly - you're in the early stages and this is how the condition often affects people. With time things will become easier as you acquire a more positive mindset. It takes time and effort but you'll be a stronger person believe me. Life is problematic and all of us have problems. Overcoming tinnitus through habituation will leave you in good stead for whatever difficulties lies ahead on your journey through life.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/trt-as-i-see-it.19555/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/what-is-trt-and-when-should-it-be-started.19024/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/what-happens-in-trt-sessions.18195/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/habituation-and-tinnitus-treatments.38091/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-the-way-some-see-it.36110/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-negative-counselling.26669/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-complexities-of-tinnitus-and-hyperacusis.25733/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/why-is-my-tinnitus-getting-worse-and-not-improving.25291/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/can-tinnitus-counselling-help.22366/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/from-darkness-into-light.22234/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/i-would-rather-be-happy-than-right.12084/

• Helpful Helpful x 1