Louder Tinnitus — Unknown Cause — Doctor Prescribed Ginkgo Biloba and Unrealistic Hope

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alex Matyjasek, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      Well, today is the day that I expected to be. Went to see my ENT and couldn't figger out what's wrong with me. Got perfect hearing and nothing wrong with my CAT scan. Prescribed Ginkgo Biloba and here I am. The only news for unrealistic hope from my doctor was it will probably diminish in time.

Thing is I have two different sounds. Got one my in my head that's more like a static sound (goes well with crickets!) and a slight eeeeeeee in my right ear that's getting worse. Was doing well trying to get there with the first one.

Why is this happening to me? Is it too early to jump into conclusions? I'm still incapable of realising this is my new reality. Can't believe that I suddenly ended up in this psychological hurracane designed to change your life forever.

I have no hope and don't believe this will diminish. Just to think 'unknown cause' or 2 different sounds is just simply going to make everything go wrong. I'm afraid.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Stress can be a trigger for the onset of T. But it is only one among many possible causes.
      There are many causes, single or combined, which can trigger or aggravate tinnitus including but not limited to drug side-effects from ototoxic drugs, ear wax build-up, ear-wax removal suction, inner ear infection, Eustachian tube disorder or ETD, ear drum injury, fluid build-up in ears feeling pressured or fullness, sinus infection & congestion especially with a bad cold, TMJ, TTTS, autoimmune disorders such as Lyme Disease & Fibromyalgia, high blood pressure or blood circulation problem, anemia, loud noise exposure or acoustic trauma/shock, head injury or TBI, neck injury or muscle problems, hearing loss from aging or other causes, Meniere's Decease, barotrauma from rapid pressure changes in flights or diving, especially with congested nose or sinus causing failure to balance the pressure changes, slapping of the ears, deep grief, untreated sleep apnea, extreme/extended stress, anxiety & panic disorder, depression, sleep deprivation, etc.

T can also be caused or made worse by unhealthy diet such as too much salt, sugar, caffeine, MSG, alcohol, gluten etc. or by lacking some mineral or vitamin supplements, such as Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3 etc.

I guess many sufferers are asking the same question on why me. But if may lead to no where. The more we stress over this and not accepting the reality of T, the more T seems louder. So at some point, we may have to set aside the 'why' question and try to live or manage T as best as we can to minimize the stress. Sometimes, it is when we stop giving so much attention to T that it may become less of an issue to the brain and that is when it may learn to habituate to T.

Many members have 2-tone T. Even this famous celebrity, comedian David Letterman, said he has 2-tone T. Here is the video when he and William Shatner talked about their T. It may be hard to accept this condition initially. Hopefully it will fade out for you. Take care. God bless.

David Letterman with William Shatner - March,...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      • Informative Informative x 2
    4. SteveShield

SteveShield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HTN Rx, Migraine hx, Oil of Wintergreen induced?
      Alex, I am there now... 4 months, some days are so hard... have not tried ginkgo yet... what works for you even a little bit?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      Habituation. Learn not to care and get on with life. This happens naturally... You'll get fed up, focus on other things and get on with it. It gets a lot better, you just need a bit of patience. Don't get me wrong i've also got my bad days, but they bother me less. My perception is changing

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      It's been been suggested Ginkgo Biloba might be able to help in certain cases of tinnitus which are caused by blood circulation problems, a condition that people, usually elderly, suffer from. If this does not apply to you don't bother with Ginkgo. I tried it, for three months, and it did nothing. An ENT that I went to, who has tinnitus, also tried it and there was no improvement for him, either.

7. SteveShield

SteveShield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HTN Rx, Migraine hx, Oil of Wintergreen induced?
      Thank you Alex... so new to me, just having the high hissing/10 kHz ring and now a fullness in head and ears which is new, the body's reaction I guess...

Did you go through some of this? TY ;)

8. LunarRXA
      Anime

LunarRXA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music/Headset.
      I have 2 types of tinnitus as well. My "EEeEeEeEe" spikes occasionally with louder sounds, but has mostly faded away. On the other hand the high-pitched tone varies in and out of intensity with background noise. Initially, the etching sound was intense, but it faded over several weeks. Perhaps yours will behave similarly?

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      What I can say is that during the day I don't hear it as much as I used to. At night I guess I've gotten far better at ignoring it. Yes, mine also reacts to background noises, but nothing significant.

When I haven't slept that much, funnily enough I hardly notice it. Time will tell if it will fade away. 7 and a half months now and it doesn't really look like things are gonna change...

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      I sometimes had fullness in my ears. During the last 7'5 months maby 5 times.

I sometimes got the impression that I had a very mild form of hypercusis, but only 4 or 5 times. It's very weird. Do you also have that? No problem, we're all on the same boat.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      Done nothing for me either. Now I only take melatonin tablets for sleep.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      @Autumnly What is it that you find so funny? I am aware that habituation is not possible for everybody...

13. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I can't believe doctors are still giving Ginkgo for tinnitus these days. It has never worked for tinnitus and never will. The studies backing up Gingko success for tinnitus are weak at best with most funded by Gingko manufacturers.

If habituation does not happen or doesn't work for some people, it is generally because there is a more major underlying issue in addition to the tinnitus like major depression or extreme anxiety. Addressing those underlying issues will eventually lead to habituation but for some until they do, habituation will not occur.

14. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Or because their tinnitus is really loud and intrusive. There are so many people where it’s not anxiety or depression that’s preventing them from habituating. Saying it’s usually due to mental health issues makes tinnitus look like a mental health issue. It really doesn’t help the people that continue to struggle with this condition. And I’m not taking about people new to tinnitus. Always leaving out that tinnitus can be debilitating in itself is doing the whole tinnitus community a disservice.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 2
    15. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      That guy is really out to lunch.

The 'underlying issue' is the t noise one hears IS SO DAMN LOUD AND INTRUSIVE that they can't habituate to it.

Remove it lower the volume and intensity/pitch and it's guaranteed the other 'issues' can be managed.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      And is there anything that I said that hasn't got to do with what you are saying? Habituation happens to those that haven't got such and intrusive T to deal with. Of course, those who have intrusive T don't understand that people with lower tinnitus get better naturally.

17. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Agreed. My reply was in regards to Erik's post, not yours.

18. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      This is so great to hear! I remember when you were really struggling and I am so pleased that you have turned it around!

I don't believe that encouraging those who can to make a life for themselves around Tinnitus in any way diminishes the seriousness of Tinnitus. Living with it is not the same as being happy about having it, and it doesn't mean you're not still suffering.

I am of course excluding those with very severe Tinnitus who know they can't live a productive life with their Tinnitus, as that is a different kettle of fish.

19. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      I think there should be a 'respectfully disagree' button on here - people sometimes use the 'funny' rating as a way of disagreeing and it comes across much worse than just a down vote.