Machine/Motor Tinnitus Sound Which Disappears When I Plug My Ears

Discussion in 'Support' started by Raphael7713, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      In early August I got this new, machine/motor like sound on top of my ordinary tinnitus. The sound lasted for a couple of days and then went away for weeks. After a couple of weeks it returned.

Like I said, the sound is like a machine or a motor. And what is strange with this new tinnitus is that it completely disappears when I plug my ears when it should behave the exact opposite way. At first I thought maybe it is from an external sound. But then I noticed how the sound kept following me and I could hear it at other places too when it was quiet enough.

So when I plug my ears this new tinnitus disappears completely and I can only hear my ordinary tinnitus. When I open the ears the sound starts directly as if it has an external source.

Any thoughts guys?

2. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine is machine like as well, but maybe a bit more nasally, or bass-like, or I don't know how to define it. It vibrates, sometimes all over my head. It really, really annoys me. I first realized that if I cover my ears thoroughly, or put my finger in it, it stops. Now I just put earplugs in it (for a long time it didn't seem to help) and it decreases the volume. I don't know if I should put earplugs in it, but now I feel a bit more relaxed, I was going crazy the whole day and I really haven't slept for a week.

For this, I think, this vibrating, low, humming noise could be ear-related, my suspect is the Eustachian Tube, but ENT said, I have nothing wrong with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I wish mine would disappear when I plug my ears...

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hmm maybe it could be something physicallin the ear/sinus. When sound enters the ear, sound gets distorted. When no sound enter the ears, no weird machine sound. That's just my guess but I'm not sure. If anyone knows anything or if this sounds familiar to you in any way please share your information.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      That's only my new tinnitus. My ordinary tinnitus is there whether I plug my ears or not -.-

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've had this "machine hum" tinnitus for over ten years. Kinda got used to it, but some nights it sounds particularly loud. Just lately though I've been wondering if it is pulsatile tinnitus, because when I plug my ears or feel my wrist so that I'm aware of my pulse, it seems to be that the sound is pulsing in time with my heartbeat. It's strange that I'm not aware of it pulsing so regularly when I'm not focussing on it, so I wonder if I'm just imagining the correlation, or if somehow by focussing on it at the same time as my pulse, I'm somehow forcing it to come into sync... it's a weird weird world of sound alright!