Mad Max — Tinnitus Road

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Pero1234, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      Hi everyone,

Got my T 3 weeks ago and it’s been an emotional rollercoaster. I still have questions...

That dreadful day I watched Mad Max Fury Road at home. I noticed that the volume on my home theatre was louder than usual, but I wanted to let off some steam after a few very stressful months and I was tired... and maybe a bit careless, for once. I had been to concerts that were louder, with no permanent damage and I never had issues with movies in the past.

After the action packed movie finished I was shocked to see that the volume was quite a bit louder than usual.

I did hear a slight ringing and buzzing... and I immediately started panicking because of my two dogs, who are not in any danger according to the vet as long as the sound is not too loud for us. I could see that even though they did not move or acted uncomfortable during the movie... they looked a bit uncomfortable after.

My ringing stayed... I measured my hearing with those youtube videos and it was like that of a 40 year old, I’m 37. The day after it was like someone from 31 again. Hearing tests with the doctor also confirmed that my hearing loss was temporary... although I do get the impression that hearing people in busy places had become even more difficult than before. But in terms of range, it’s better than average again. To my relief.

I measured the movie afterwards... half of it was 55-75 db, half of it 75-85. There was the occasional spike to 88 or 90. The movie was not very long: 2 hours. I did not take any breaks, sadly enough.

When I take a look at charts, hearing loss at these levels would only occur after several hours!

So was I more vulnerable because of stress, was this hearing loss accumulated during the years, was it because of the type of noise: explosions and a constant wall of sound in a livingroom-sized space, was it because I freaked out about the dogs and started paying too much attention, or simply because I was tired?

I don’t know... I’ve been to concerts that were worse. And even a busy restaurant goes up to 100db!

Anyway... I got cortisone, which made my ears less sensitive and reduced the initial T... and spent a week in the oxygen chamber. Which seemed to help at times and could still give results to up to six weeks after the last session.

In the meantime, I try not to panic... but it’s very hard not to feel terribly guilty and stupid. Especially regarding the dogs... Even though they still play and have fun... I will never know if they experience the same as me.

It’s very hard to forgive myself for that... even though the vet says they’re probably fine... I’m giving myself a very hard time and often start crying. Not sure if it’s because of me or them... Sometimes I think I see them going through the same. My wife - who was not home at the time - says I’m projecting my own feelings and she does not see any different behavior except that one of them tends to sleep more.

In the meantime everyone has been really supportive... even at work. But I still blame myself. Trying to get my head around it, still hoping that it’s mainly caused by stress / panic... and still hoping it will diminish / go away.

It’s only chronic after three months right?

To take my mind off it, I’m considering TRT or cognitive behavior therapy.

Fun fact: I’m the kind of guy who used to be able to tell the difference between an MP3 and a CD quality song. I would spend hours to get rid of a hissing sound in my sound setup or headphones... now it’s in my head.

Not easy... turning back time would be helpful, right?

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hi, sorry for what happened to you. I hope it will go away soon.
      Just curious, how did you measure the movie?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I installed the iphone app called db meter.

It measures sound in db... it’s fairly accurate from what I gather. I measured sound up to 100db in the train station, at restaurants...

I started measuring everything :)

Just to put the movie in perspective :)

4. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      If it measured 100 dB in a restaurant I doubt it is accurate..

Did you see an ENT and did they make an audiogram?

And no need to cry or feel guilty, that won't change anything, what is done is done. In my opinion you should try to relax and have a positive mindset in order to give you better chances of recovery. And avoid loud noise for some time ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Pero1234

Please do not start CBT or TRT at this time for it is far too early or any other treatments for tinnitus. Please click on the links below and read my posts. Take your time and read them in full.
      Please put the decibel meter away because you don't need it and it will cause you more stress. I advise you not to use headphones even at low volume.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/what-is-trt-and-when-should-it-be-started.19024/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your advice, I’ll read all the links tomorrow.

I did see an ent, they tested my hearing but I don’t know if that is an audiogram.

I tested the db meter with a hairdryer and traffic and the vacuum cleaner. It was pretty spot on for those devices.

I did go to a few public events... participating in social activities seemed like a good idea. One restaurant was very loud though, did not measure it.

We did go to recital if my godchild where I got uncomfortable because the applause went above 90db. Now a colleague of mine went to a team event at work... which I cancelled... and he’s the one that measured 100 db in that restaurant after dinner, telling me it’s good I did not join.

I did stop measuring sound in the meantime... realizing it’s not good to keep thinking about it.

Also, my train to work is very loud (train station, people, squeaking brakes etc). I used to always use my active noise cancelling over ear headphones - with music on low volume - to block out the train noise. Nowadays I still use it, on low volume, with only passive noise cancelling.

I guess I should temporarily keep away from all noise and headphones?

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Pero1234 ,
      It would use noise reduction plugs on the train as they can ramp up your tinnitus.
      Try to stay calm and relaxed playing what music you find relaxing to help anxiety and a bit of a distraction.
      Tinnitus can start through lots of reasons so don't worry when or why it started or feel guilty from any actions thay might have started your tinnitus.
      Your tinnitus could go away as fast as it came so try your best not fixate on the sound or let it stress you out.
      Seek help if you have trouble sleeping or your start getting low moods that impact on your day.
      For now stay positive this might be temporary.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So glad I found this forum. Talking about it in a constructive way really helps.

Thanks for your kind words everyone.

I’m gonna get some sleep! :)

• Like Like x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Pero1234

I advise you to never use headphones again even at low volume. When a person has got tinnitus caused by "loud noise" their auditory system is more sensitive to sound. The use of headphones even at low volume can irritate the cochlea in the inner ear. Some healthcare professionals will tell you that it's fine to use headphones as long as the volume is kept low. These health professionals mean well but most have never experienced tinnitus, therefore know little about it. They know about the anatomy of the ear and can treat it medically or surgically. It is your choice. If you have time, peruse some of the posts in this forum, from people that have "noise induced" tinnitus and used headphones at low volume then regretted it. It is true some people with NIT are not affected by headphones use but there is a risk, of making the tinnitus worse. Tinnitus can be ruthless and very unforgiving if it increases, as it's likely that it will not reduce to it's previous level.

Read the posts in my links and I wish you all the best.
      Michael

10. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I do not like those phone apps. I have never found them to be accurate. I've heard people claim that they register noise as being louder than they actually are. But every time I've ever tried to use them it doesn't even pick up a sudden loud noise, only loud ambient noises.

In my opinion, that movie was probably louder than what you put down unless you have a nice, full surround system which would be easier for the app to measure.

But even if it really wasn't that loud, your past history of going to loud events were probably the real ear killers. The movie probably just broke the straw.

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi again all...

Had a good night’s sleep.

I do have a full surround sound setup: pioneer vsx-510 with harman kardon 5.1 set hkts-16. No matter what the app registered, clearly it was too loud. Usually I’m very specific when it comes to music and movies volume on my set.

Concerning the headphones, I will avoid them for now, to increase the odds for recovery.

But I do have a 3 hour daily commute to work. Earplugs will work... but I always said that music was my first love... and that to take away my relaxing (new age) music, would be like taking away my oxygen.

Without music to pass that time and keep me relaxed on the busy train, I will constantly be thinking about my T because I miss my music so much :-(

Ps: I don’t have a history of loud rock concerts... but I did go to about 3 venues a year these past 6 years. Mainly singer songwriters but those can get loud too. I noticed a warning on that venue’s website saying they cannot guarantee sound levels below 90.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Pero1234

It is quite possible for your tinnitus to reduce to a low level with time, providing you follow the advice that members have given you in this thread and the information in my posts in the links that I have given you. What I am about to tell you now isn't to frighten you but to equip you with knowledge that you will not find easily outside of a tinnitus forum.

When a person is first affected by tinnitus caused by noise trauma as in your case, "it can reduce to a very low level" with time (for some people) to the point where they don't even hear it because the brain has habituated and is able to do this. This can make a person forget that they have tinnitus but unbeknown to them it is in the background dormant. If they subject themselves to loud sounds which they may not be aware of, particularly with the audio setup that you have for watching movies, or going to a club, concert or by using headphones even at low volume. The tinnitus can return with vengeance that you wouldn't believe is possible I assure you. Please be careful and respect this condition, because when it is severe it can be ruthless and very unforgiving.

I wish you well.
      Michael

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
      • Like Like x 3
    14. Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      The home theatre Dolby Atmos track featuring in Mad Max Fury Road is insanenly loud at reference levels that I used to play normaly in my Atoms/DTS:X enabled HT. Even the core of Atoms track ( TrueHD 7.1 ) which I assume you had listened to, was pretty loud. You should have noticed this at the beginning of the movie and lowered the volume to a comfortable listening level. That said, what is done is done now. Take a break from your HT habit for a while and give some time for your ears to recover. Your tinnitus will most probably be temporary.

• Like Like x 2