Magnesium for Relief of Tinnitus Research

Discussion in 'Research News' started by calin, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @Savin Abram;

Magnesium comes in various chemical forms. While Magnesium Oxide is the cheapest, it also is the least easily absorbed. As an affordable alternative, you might want to try Magnesium Citrate. I understand that so-called chelated forms of Magnesium are best in terms of absorption. However, they tend to be expensive.

Definitely check with your doctor before taking Magnesium or any other supplement. Taking the wrong dose or mixing a supplement with certain medications can be harmful.

-Golly

2. Savin Abram

Savin Abram Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks you Golly..yes I need to refer to the doctor first

3. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      what are NAC supplements? My tinnitus is caused by ototoxic medication...

4. clare hart

clare hart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I totally agree about the chelated. It is why you should look carefully before buying either magnesium or espcially calcium (an even more impenetrable element) at the local drugstore. The expense is worth it. Like buying one durable, quality, $50 shirt that can be used 5 ways, rahter than cheaper 5X$10 shirts that look cheaper and wear out faster. It isn't worth it to use something that doesn't absorb well.

I wonder if it is when I eat the greens like kale and spinach that my T becomes almost unnoticable. What great moments those are! I will start a journal tracking my diet and other pills I must take to see the impact of each.

It's a good thing for people like me that some threads don't disappear. Thanks everybody.

5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi @Savin: I have tried both chelated and citrate magnesium, and they seem to work about the same for me. I lately am going with a highly absorbable citrate form, in a capsule. I get it from a specialty food market with a large supplements department (and knowledgeable staff). I would say it has helped my digestive system even more than my tinnitus!
      I agree with @Golly: stay away from the oxide form and do talk to your doctor.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Would somebody knowledgable on the subject be able to recommend the best form of magnesium.

Since there are so many forms I'm a bit confused and the research didn't really help much.

Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    8. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Thanks Rich!
      Have you tried this one at all?

9. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yes I have, but didn't feel it was benefiting me, but was only on it for three weeks, probably not long enough to notice anything, I'll probably try it again soon though.
      Doesn't mean it won't benefit you,
      Good luck!

10. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      I jst started to take magnesium l threonate.. someone posted on some other thread regarding this. . So just following the suggestion.. dont really know about this..
      Will post after a month regarding the effects. .

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. Mikel

Mikel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      I've been taking 800mg magnesium citrate for two months with no effect at all. I lowered the dose to 400mg recently and unlike my other supplements I will keep taking it since has been well researched and many benefits.

12. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      @ampumpkin. Did you ever find out what NAC is? I'd like to know too, I've been following this thread and I never saw an answer to your query.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    14. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      I've been taking magnesium for about 6 days and have noticed no difference.

15. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What is the theory behind magnesium helping? I've been taking it too and I guess it's helpful for something but it's not making any difference in my T.

16. Mikel

Mikel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      is anyone taking Magnesium Threonate? I wanted to order it, but I only found a few negative reviews related to T.

17. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      Magnesium gives me bad stomach.. it produces gas if I take in empty stomach
      Anyone else have this issue?

18. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You may be taking magnesium oxide, it's very hard to absorb and causes tummy issues. Try magnesium citrate.

19. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Did the magnesium lower your tinnitus?

20. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not that I can tell. But I'm sure it's good for me to take some. I'm also upping my vit D3 to 6000 iu/day because I've been reading how deficient we all are and that's a major cause of fatigue, which in turn affects our t.

21. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I take a bio citrate, highly absorbable magnesium. Not sure how much it does for my tinnitus but certainly has helped my digestive system.

@Isabella 123: Most of us are deficient in vitamin D and I take a D supplement, too. But 6000 iu daily is a lot. Probably won't hurt u but your body just eliminates the excess, as I understand it, so you literally are pissing your money away. But if you feel it's helping...

22. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I go to a women's health nurse practitioner who helps me with my bio-identical hormones and she told me 4000 to 6000 but for me since I am older (72) I need the higher dosage to help prevent osteoporosis.

23. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      I am taking MagMind (Magnesium L-Threonate, or Magtein) which is supposed to be high absorbing.. does it help.. i cannot really say cause i have ETD and stiff jaws.
      i notice that if take magnesium on empty stomach it does affect my stomach, loose stools and gas issues...

I only take one pill a day that too in night only, cause people mentioned it helps with sleep.

honestly i just dono what is going on in my body...
      simply put its is always there sometimes its loud sometimes, its very low, sometimes i notice it and sometimes i dont notice it. It is affecting my concentration when i am alone and hindering my ability to work alone or be alone.

24. Tamar
      Curious

Tamar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Just thought I would mention that there has been a lot of talk on the thyroid FB site about tinnitus lately. It was the first time that a large group or people chimed in saying that they felt there was some sort of correlation between the timing of (when they started) thyroid meds and their tinnitus. I am just slightly hypothyroid and my tinnitus began shortly after I began Armour thyroid last November. Could have been a coincidence but people on various meds remarked. I mention this in case any others here have had the same experience. Other individuals felt their tinnitus was thyroid (but not necessarily medication) related.

25. J-rod
      Frantic

J-rod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002
      I might be overly thinking things here, and that is one of my stresses that makes T worse for me. So after posting what I have to say I might vanish to forget things.

Alright, so I did a google search on "Solaray Magnesium Citrate". And then I read the part about this, "BioCitrate™ Magnesium is a specially chelated form of Magnesium using citric acid."

Then the warning flags go off inside my head about Citric Acid. Someplace on the internet years ago.. I read that Citric acid, Citrate (E 330) is an ingredient that often contain or produce processed free glutamic acid. Glutamic acid found in unadulterated protein does not cause adverse reactions. To cause adverse reactions, the glutamic acid must have been processed/manufactured or come from protein that has been fermented. Most of the citric acid used by the food industry comes from corn. This all leads back to the granddaddy of suspects.. MSG.

Speaking of excitotoxins, aspartame makes me dizzy. When people talk about Salts effecting their T's, is salt getting a bad rep here with they are probably using Season Salt and not just Salt?.. That __ MSG is all over the place.

I really want to try magnesium, but there are just too many types to keep track of and what binders are better. The last thing I want to do is add yet another nutrient to my ever growing list, seriously what happened to just eating good and losing weight? Seems like the more organic vegetables I eat the worse my T is getting for me. I can't seem to find the root cause! I don't eat out very much, but I did find out that my season salt had one of these other forms of MSG, so it's in the trash as of today.

Has anyone did any reading on Calcification of the Arteries? Last thing I want is for some nutrient to put my meat on a slab for doctors to poke around and show what I did wrong in life taking Magnesium. So what kind of magnesium should I take? I take Epsom Salt baths alot to help with soreness. And I do take diuretics for high blood pressure, Losartan with hydrochlorothiazide. I do have some highend hearing loss and my T is in the highend with a constant tone.

... Sigh, I've not even moved off this page and already I ran into another problem. "Magnesium aspartate" is a mineral amino acid chelate containing magnesium bound to the amino acid known as aspartate or aspartic acid. Aspartate is known to be an excitatory neurotransmitter.

It's things like this that make me mirror-pound my forehead against the universe. Why would anyone take Magnesium with an excitatory neurotransmitter? Consuming aspartame and MSG (and similar excitotoxins) together greatly magnifies the toxicity problems. Aspartate is an amino acid present in aspartame.

My logic here is that when people take Magnesium to reduce T, are they consuming a binding element that also aggravates T? This would suggest that the wrong magnesium supplements could negate any positive benefits and thus no change is recorded.

Currently I'm thinking of buying Magnesium Glycinate.

26. Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      One option is to start eating lots of bananas. They have a surprising amount of magnesium in. That is something I am trying. I think it's around 30 mg per banana. So if you eat a few bananas a day you are well on your way if combined with a standard multi vitamin tablet.

27. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I have been taking magnesium orotate 500mg. Its one of the best forms that's easily absorbed . worth trying in my opinion and it makes my T bearable I believe

28. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I would use caution when taking Magnesium Orotate. According to ConsumerLab.com, there are safety concerns due to the orotic acid content. Some research in animals demonstrates that doses of at least 100 mg/kg/day have tumor promoting effects. The good news is that the effect was not present in lower doses, such as 500mg for a normal-sized human. But please know that the site suggests that until more is known about the risks, it may be best to avoid Magnesium Orotate.

-Golly

• Informative Informative x 1
    29. Colin Q Bang
      Cynical

Colin Q Bang Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      At least in this thread, I found no more recent update about this phase 3 trial so I'll just leave this here:
      The phase III (3) trial was completed in January 2015. Results evidently haven't been published, and at this late date I think we can assume they won't be. Why? Probably because the result was negative, i.e. failed to show any effectiveness for the magnesium treatment. Too bad researchers often don't publish negative results, apparently EVEN WHEN THEY CONTRAST WITH EARLIER RESULTS. With the presumably positive/encouraging result of the corresponding phase II trial being out there for all to read (published 2011), one could be mislead...

30. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      couple of points many many years ago the govt recco RDA was 800mgs!! but now with people having no chance of getting that with food the RDA is far lower ,,,, ancient minerals mag oil is expensive compared with swansons and its deffo the same stuff,,,,8 sprays equals 100mg good luck