Manual Earwax Removal in Ireland?

Discussion in 'Support' started by caliazi, Jan 15, 2018.

1. caliazi
      Tired

caliazi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly earwax or noise exposure (or just stress!)
      Hi guys, I know there's tonnes of wax removal threads already but I'm specifically looking to see if anyone knows of any ENT's in Ireland that do "manual" style wax removal (instead of microsuction or irrigation).

I've been contacting some directly myself and haven't had any luck, my audiologist and previous ENT insist that manual removal is far too dangerous and traumatic but that seems to contradict totally my findings on this forum and online in general.

It's possible my tinnitus is caused solely by the wax, though I also had a reasonably loud weekend 2 days before onset so it could be just noise related, or a combination. Also I have very bad anxiety so stress not helping any of it, naturally!

Thanks in advance for any help!
      Cal

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @caliazi
      I think you should follow the advice of your ENT doctor and have your earwax removed in hospital using microsuction. Please keep away from private practice and I don't advise manual removal using curette. I think you're just asking for trouble having the wax manually removed! Providing you apply eardrops 3 times a day to each ear for 7 to 10 days before having the wax removed, you are not likely to have any problems. Please read the post below and click on the links for additional information.

Please don't be put off by people saying microsuction is harmful. Done correctly and using eardrops in the manner I've suggested and in a hospital ENT clinic, I think you'll be just fine. I have had microsuction 3 times and ear irrigation 3 times and had no problems.

Michael

Hi @Libfuller

I am very sorry to know of your experience at ENT and having microsuction. There is a right and wrong way for this procedure to be carried out. You should have been advised to apply eardrops, using a pipette 3 times a day to each ear for up to 10 days prior to having the microsuction done. This will usually soften the wax enabling it to be easily removed. This also applies if one is going to have the wax removed by ear irrigation or manually removed by "tools" using a curette.

Unfortunately this information is not always told to the patient. I have read on the Internet where private practices advertising their services for microsuction. Telling people there is no need to soften the wax using ear drops before having it done. Other clinics say use eardrops for 3 days or the night before. Totally wrong, inept and unprofessional. People have contacted me saying they went to a clinic and had earwax removed using microscution and were told, eardrops are not needed and ended up with tinnitus afterwards. When they returned to complain, they were brushed aside and told: "none of our other patients" have had any problems.

Even if one uses eardrops in the manner that I've suggested, there is no guarantee that problems wont occur. This also applies whether irrigation is used or curette. Having earwax removed is a medical procedure. A small one and minor some would say, but it can cause serious problems when it goes wrong as you have described. I have had microsuction 3 times and ear irrigation the same and had no problems. I used eardrops for 10 days prior to having the wax removed. I admit I could have still ended up with problems but fortunately I didn't and my tinnitus can reach quite severe levels as I take clonazepam occasionally for it.

I want to make a few things clear. Under normal circumstances ear wax exits from the ear by natural means and doesn't require a visit to a GP surgery to have it removed by ear irrigation, which is the common method used today. However, when a build up occurs it needs to be removed because it can cause problems: Hearing loss, tinnitus, infection, severe pain in the ear, fever, dizziness and the list goes on.

It is very difficult to prove negligence and malpractice against the medical profession. They can afford the best lawyers and one has to have very deep pockets and proof to go up against them and most likely they will lose. I occasionally do tinnitus counselling by telephone voluntarily. Someone contacted me a couple of years ago after having deep root canal work done on three of his teeth. His tinnitus increased to very severe levels and got so bad he wanted to end his life. He spent £7,000 trying to take his dentist to court and had to drop the case when he couldn't find anymore money to pay his lawyers. They milked him dry and were only in it for all they could get.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-dangers-of-microsuction.21921/page-3#post-301303

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/microsuction-and-irrigation.21571/

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @caliazi and @Michael Leigh. Caliazi I was in your situation exactly a few months ago except not in Ireland and I emailed many ENTs and audiologists including ones with tinnitus themselves, spoke to ENTs and audiologists, spoke to many other patients about their experiences, read many papers. As far as I can figure out there is no decent research to determine which method of ear wax removal is safest in terms of not exacerbating or causing Tinnitus. But the very rough consensus seemed to be that manual removal was safest in terms of not exacerbating T...perhaps unless the wax is on the actual eardrum. In that case it is not quite clear which method is the safest. Possibly still manual but Mechanical trauma to the drum might be a risk and that its self is a risk for t. Suction is safer in terms of not perforating the eardrum etc

Michael The thing is that there is more than one person on this forum who did get T from microsuction despite having used oil in the way you describe. Which surely proves what you say there is not always true

There are definitely more people with t from microsuction or syringing/irrigation online than manual removal however this could simply be a reflection of the fact that manual removal is relatively rarely carried out compared to the other methods

Also bear in mind caliazi with a full on wax impaction there is also some risk of infection from not getting the wax removed /just using oil. So you possibly you can't really avoid some risk.

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      caliazi
      Tired

caliazi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Michael Leigh I appreciate I'm "likely" to not have any problems, however my anxiety means I'm not really a good case for this procedure as the last time I went in I physically couldn't stop trembling and my audiologist said he wouldn't be able to perform the procedure unless I could keep still. I kinda have to go with what I'm most comfortable with and I think the loud noise of Microsuction is just going to upset me. When you say to avoid private practice I assume you mean the likes of hearing aid sale's places? My audiologist is private practise and also works out of the royal Victoria eye and ear hospital, would you recommend still going to an ENT over someone like him? His secretary told me he performs multiple procedures a day for years.
      @Agrajag364 did you go ahead with any procedure in the end? I'm not even sure if my wax is impacted, it's certainly filling up my ear canal, I can see it on the little video otoscope at the audiologist, but I don't have any hearing loss really, though the audiologist said that if it builds up slowly over time some people don't notice?

Thanks both for the replies!

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @caliazi
      I understand your situation regarding anxiety and therefore you will have to decide which procedure of earwax removal you feel comfortable with. I would not go to a private clinic that practices: microsuction, ear irrigation or manual removal of earwax. I would always get it done at my GP surgery using ear irrigation. If the wax is impacted and can't easily be removed then microsuction is the best option. My GP would then refer me to a NHS Hospital ENT department for it to be removed.

With respect @Agrajag364 My ENT consultant is an Audiovestibular physician and told me Microsuction, is the safest method of earwax removal. She removed wax from my ears twice using this method and I had no problems. The third occasion It was done by a Registrar. People that think manual removal of earwax is completely safe are mistaken. Please read this thread: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...-still-feels-clogged-a-bit-and-muffled.21654/

I would not ask for manual removal of earwax as I think it is risky and dangerous. Just my opinion.

Michael

6. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      The linked thread does not indicate danger from manual removal. In fact, the member even mentioned their T was considerably quieter and he could hear better.

They were told there was likely fluid in their ear, which could explain why they were experiencing a clogged and muffled feeling. He also said he did not have an ENT or his doctor do the procedure.

OP, knowing what impact anxiety can have on tinnitus, in your shoes I would pursue whatever procedure puts you most at ease. If micro suction is the only option, find a skilled doctor you trust and try not to worry.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      caliazi
      Tired

caliazi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, that's what I'm trying to do, looks like there's not really any other options in Ireland except irrigation/suction so I guess I have to decide how long I want to continue just using drops for before I give up and get suctioned. Toss up between the worry that the wax might cause an infection as it stands and the worry that removal will worsen the T! I've been using olive oil drops for 5 weeks or so already, and a good amount of wax came out last week but not as much this week. I'm thinking of switching to sodium bicarb drops to see if there's any difference.

8. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @caliazi Yes I got mine removed manually in the end. mine was a full on wax impaction - i was about 50% deaf in that ear and water had clearly got trapped behind it after I went swimming. That may be why mine got infected....or because I was using so much oil to try to get it out without having to risk suction etc!

It was only a mild outer ear infection, but there's always a chance this is why my T did not go away after the impaction was removed (it started whilst I had the impaction). So I was going to warn you not to make my mistake and end up with an infection whilst trying to avoid the risks of suction. It took me weeks to find someone who removed wax manually, and that may be why mine got infected.

But I see your wax impaction has not even caused hearing loss? So I don't know if you would run the same risk as me of it getting infected unless you get water trapped behind it. All very uncertain I know, sorry. Actually to be specific- it was not actually hard to find an ENT who was willing to remove the wax manually, quite a few said they would when I actually asked if they'd be willing to do this rather than suction. But I kept looking for one who seemed to regularly do it manually, figuring they'd be more skilled. I'll PM you.

• Like Like x 2
    9. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Caliazi
      I have had manual removal via a Jobson horne in UK carried out 3 times with no problems. In fact I had it done today by a private audiologist whom I know well and trust. I would personally not use any other method. Manual removal may not be possible if wax is very close to the eardrum. Otherwise in skilled hands it carries the least risk; no loud microsuction noises or pressure on eardrum with irrigation. Unfortunately I do not know of anyone in Ireland but I would be willing to travel a long way to have it done in the safest way. One mistake and you suffer for life.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Tweaker what did your audiologist/any ENTs say to you about manual removal of wax close to or on the eardrum? thanks

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      caliazi
      Tired

caliazi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Agrajag364 Thanks for the message, I'm either inept or my PC isn't letting me reply to it directly, but I'll definitely look in to all the info you've given me! You've been super helpful :)
      @Tweaker Good to know it's regularly done in the UK, that gives me more hope that there is someone in Ireland that can do it, I'll travel if I have to but don't really want to fly during early stages of T, I'd be too nervous.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      caliazi
      Tired

caliazi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update: Been using sodium bicarbonate drops for 3 days and GOODNESS a lot of wax came out. I was in Specsavers and asked could they quickly look at my ears and the audiologist there said I have a small bit of wax left at the bottom of the canal, what she reckons is a 'normal' amount, but after another day or so of drops I should be completely clear. I am very excited that the wax is gone but my tinnitus and fullness feeling remain. I found an ENT that claims to do manual removal a few days ago and booked in with him for next week so I might keep that appointment just to quiz him about what else could be causing this for me. If tinnitus is noise induced is there usually a feeling of pressure/fullness does anyone know?

13. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      My private audiologist won't go near the eardrum. Microsuction on eardrum is very loud but some ENTs will do this. Manual removal from eardrum carries high risk of rupturing the eardrum. Wax on eardrum is a problem. That is why I check my ears with my little video otoscope I got off e-bay for a few pounds. That way I go to my audiologist for removal before it gets impacted.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Got a link to one/similar one becauae my ears often get waxey..

15. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks @Tweaker . It may be ENTs will go near the drum but audiologists won't, their negligence Insurance will not be so good and skill level will not be so high.

16. Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      I had a huge crusted wax build up which caused me ETD. When I visited my ENT doctor, he sprayed something into my ear and asked me to wait for a few minutes. Then, he removed half of the wax by a hand tool and prescribed me ear drops, and asked me to come back after one week. I went back after one week, then he checked my ears and told me that they were clean and no more wax present in the ears.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      caliazi
      Tired

caliazi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did your ETD subside after wax removal? If so, roughly how long? I'm wondering how long to wait to see if my symptoms subside before getting another ENT to check out what's going on.

18. Rick Garner
      Fine

Rick Garner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/ 2016 (T free since mid March 2017) 
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD (most probably)
      I am not suffering from tinnitus anymore. Please read my thread below. Full story is there, and it answers all.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-battle-with-tinnitus-was-over.21013/

• Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      caliazi
      Tired

caliazi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thought I'd just pop an update in here for any future readers: 2 months since my wax was cleared and there's been no particular improvement to tinnitus or ETD symptoms (have yet to have ETD officially diagnosed hence 'symptoms'). Good to have gotten rid of the wax to rule that out but looks like it's just a waiting game now to see if it improves over the next few months/years if I look after myself :)

• Like Like x 1
    20. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did The volume at least go down @caliazi

21. Serhan Sokmen

Serhan Sokmen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello,

I am desperately looking for a skilled practitioner (preferably an ENT) who can perform manual removal in the UK. I currently live in London. You mentioned you had yours manually removedr emove you please PM me with information about who could do this? All I seem to be able to find are microsuction clinics and I have alot of anxiety about that procedure.

Thank you

22. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Usually I just use sodium bicarbonate drops for week and it clears the wax. No need for any other procedure.

23. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      The place I went after my outer ear infection in order to remove the sticking skin debris and wax, used a high resolution deep camera where you could see your ear canal and finally eardrum in real time, on a monitor and the doc used only a hand held pincet miniature tool to remove the material one by one

Very neat procedure

Not Ireland though

24. cspc
      Studious

cspc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Going through the same in my left ear (good ear). Water was trapped behind the earwax. I had this infection for 2 - 3 days (It was new). It was a manual removal from an ENT with q-tips. She touched my eardrum twice to remove the wax (left side) and once (right side). Got back today with an outer ear infection which is worse on my left side. They put an ear cream but the pain is more intense than before. Any suggestions?

25. Agrajag364

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can't advise, sorry. I know it is so difficult because the eardrum is delicate and any advice anyone gives might have risks as well as benefits. I did end up putting a mild acetic acid-based spray on the inside of my ear as an alternative to the neomycin based drops I had been prescribed for a mild outer ear infection. But omitting to use antibiotic based drops would also have risks

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. cspc
      Studious

cspc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I was given Nystalocal cream for fungal infections but I doubt the infection is fungal. After the first application I had on off burning and pain. I'm going to discontinue it due to the burning as it writes on the leaflet. I can't put any drops in my ears. I read somewhere that otitis externa starts as bacterial and then becomes fungal. I will take an antibiotic and then see what happens. Tried to clear an otitis externa once with eardrops (I don't remember what kind) and after a day of application my ear pain got worse.

My right ear had the same symptoms in February, I wasn't given any antibiotic and was told to use NSAIDS. 2 weeks later I got an acoustic trauma (unrelated with otitis, but NSAIDS weakened the ear nerve) . I know it was otitis externa because I didn't have much earwax in my right ear from February until May. I will try antibiotics and if it persists i will use an antifungal cream.