Marijuana / Cannabis and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Grant1, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      See post above

2. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Yeah that's the problem with weed. Because it's a slow progression, you don't realize how much it's screwing your head up. It makes people parranoid, irrational and most of all demotivated. And not just while you're high. Regular weed smokers have less get up and go than they would have if they didn't smoke it. But the only person who doesn't realize it is the person smoking weed everyday.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. taskigtläge

taskigtläge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013/12/28
      I would agree with the most answers, weed is nothing you should mix up with tinnitus. Tho if you drink and then smoke some it shouldnt bother u as much. I do it from time to time and the tinnitus doesnt bother me at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Just curious, do you take anything for depression/anxiety for T?

5. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      No. I really don't like the idea of using medication as a way of coping with anything. My theory is it prevents you from dealing with the problem. whatever it may be.

6. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Good call man.

7. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      New study links ingestion of THC and feelings of paranoia.
      http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/20140717/cannabis-paranoia

From the synopsis on WebMD:
      "The drug also caused a range of other psychological effects:...such as sounds being louder than normal..."

8. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Dont't do it, not good! Stay strong!

• Like Like x 1
    9. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I like it personally, but everyone is different. I have huge anxiety from T, doesn't matter if I smoke weed or not. Doesn't help my anxiety, but does help lift my mood from this crap condition. Gets me interested in things again to a certain degree.

10. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I wish weed lifted my mood and made me feel like happy cause its more safe longterm then other perscribed drugs out there. Ive noticed it does effect everyone differently.. Wish i was effected for the better :-/

• Like Like x 1
    11. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I find I enjoy it if I'm busy doing something I like...playing darts, board games or whatever. Basically keeping my mind busy. I get right into what I'm doing while I'm feeling buzzed. Instead of blah and shity from my T. As for just trying to relax, doesn't help me a lot in this regard, Although, I do seem to sleep better after I smoke.

I wish it helped people here like it does for me.

It could be that it's a sensation you have to get used to and learn to work with. After a few times you really start to enjoy it rather than being shocked by it(becasue it's a new feeling) Also, maybe it's something you have to start with a very very low dose.

I don't know...just throwing out ideas trying to help.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah i wish.. Few weeks back i took one hit and my T instantly increased and it made me paranoid lol maybe i need to learn to relax idk.

13. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I don't have any problems with smoking marijuana, as I think it's a less harmful thing than drinking or many of the tranquilizer drugs we take. It does not cause the dependence issues that you see with a lot of other drugs.

That being said, I will caution people that if you're a person prone to anxiety, marijuana is usually not a pleasant experience. I've found it can cause panic attacks if you're already in an anxious state or you're obsessing over something. Just keep that in mind!

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yup thats what happened to me!!! Panic attack.. Paranoia.. I was havin depersonalation which you feel like your not in your body anddd my T increased! Stick with my benzos when im real anxious.

15. Christian_B
      No Mood

Christian_B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-2014
      I know this is an old thread. But..

I've been a 'hash' smoker for 5-6 years, haven't smoked daily in about 3-4 months now. but i tried it yesterday, and it for sure spikes the T and clogged my ears a lot, at levels i found very very uncomfortable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Im hoping weed doesn't make my T permanently worse! I indulge in it here and there, doesn't seem to do anything for my T(good or bad) although it does lift mydepression associated with tinnitus.

For now I will stick with it...Maybe a vaporizer is a good idea.

17. chronicburn
      Confused

chronicburn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Wel before i got t i was a daily cannabis smoker for soms years, at first smoking would increase my T temporarily, although i suspect its mainly psychological the fact that you notice little things more when youre high. Nowadays i still smoke, just sativa strains are a no go, indica or hash makes me very relaxed, and actually lowers my t sometimes. But i must say my t is not the ordinary one, very somatic and related to muscle problems most likely, and i don't have hearing damage. The relaxing effect on the muscles of a good indica strain might explain the t that lowers down sometimes.

All in all i dont think cannabis is capable of causing permanent changes in t.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      I am doing music therapy for my tinnitus. I heard that cannabis can increase your appreciation for music, so i am wodering if cannabis *combined* with music might be the idea. just using cannabis on its own, i don't think does anything except make you sleepy and sleep well. i am thinking that *in combination* this may be beneficial. i wonder if there is anyone using music therapy or that listens to music at night to help with sleep, whether cannabis acts to *work together* with the music. i really doubt there is any chemical agent that *on its own* can do anything, there is no medication that *on its own* can do anything, so i'd be willing to be a guinea pig and see is there might be a *combined* effect. ??? - has anyone tried this ??? -

19. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I listen to music high all the time, yes music is enhanced, but so will be your tinnitus. Everything is enhanced, taste of food, sights, sounds etc.

I would give the music therapy a shot in that state! Can't hurt to try!

20. David Tholfsen

David Tholfsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2009
      Marijuana is an analgesic and we should stay away from those. Asprin, advil, caffine, marijuana.

21. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I have friends who smoke and they say sometimes they hear things like buzzing or hummin or there head feels fuzzy.. Guess thats normal tho since everything gets enhanced.

22. Brankovac
      Scared

Brankovac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2014
      I have had my T for about a week now and I notice when I use cannabis it has a positive and negative effect.

I got my T from an ear infection and although the infection seems to be gone I still have a little pain on that side of my head. Sometimes I feel the pain in both ears even though I only have the T on the left.
      The cannabis seems to help distract me and help me focus on the task at hand as well as relieving some pain but at the same time it enhances my sensations causing the T to be more relevant. I don't think cannabis will contribute to making the T worse long term though.. Although I could be wrong

23. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      MJ spikes the hell out of my T. I quit that stuff back in march after about 8 years of daily smoking. I'm done for the time being.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Art Vandalay

Art Vandalay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1979
      Just adding my two cents here. I've recently gotten into using a vaporizer, and it definitely makes me T worse for at least a few days afterwards. If I space out my vaping and don't do it too much in a short period of time, I may not see any negative effects, but if I do too much too often, I get a pulsating T that lasts a few days to a week or so (my regular T is constant but not pulsating).

25. Christian_B
      No Mood

Christian_B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-2014
      I think smoking can give some sort of relief, i had a good evening last night even my T was louder.

Ive read that smoking a few weeks calms some peoples T, i might try that.. I even sleep a lot better.

26. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Lately T has been very calm. Sleeping better than ever.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      hi, i did my own "experiment". one week ago, i took around 2 grams in a brownie, and it created a temporary tinnitus spike. that lasted for around 2 days, and then my tinnitus seemed quieter than before. so 4 days ago, a friend had a joint of home-grown, which i knew to be good, it was covered with orange trichromes meaning it probably had some CBN in it. 2 hits from the joint, and i was having a strong trip, with time and sound distortion, my tinnitus got worse, and i still needed meds to get to sleep. 4 days later, my tinnitus is still a bit worse, but it has a different character to it, kind of "shimmering" high pitch, almost like crickets.

Unless i can get some pot with CBD, i think i should stay away.

Also, during the time that i was "high", i could remember absolutely nothing, my mind was completely "baked". It took around 8-12 hours for my memory to start to come back, and sound/time perception to start to normalize. but it definitely did not help my tinnitus the way i had hoped.

i used to take cannabis 8 years ago, and at that time it helped me with my sleep. i haven't taken any for 8 years because i have been on different meds, so the reason for the "experiment" was to see if i could get off my other meds, but it did not work.:(

28. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I used to smoke pot on a daily basis for over 20 years, now it just spikes my T and it is not fun anymore so i quit, although i still miss the taste and smell sometimes, not to mention the lovely relaxed feeling while puffing away and listening to music, my life is alot less relax these days unfortanatly.

You have to realise that cannabis does not make you relaxed, it just enhances the state you are in, so if you are stressed out about your tinnitus, cannabis only will enhance that feeling of stress and you will focus even harder on the T, at least that is what happened to me.

• Agree Agree x 5
    29. william2

william2 Member

we can't generalize about cannabis.
      high cbd, low thc (psychoactive), is a different medicinal creature.
      its like comparing apples and oranges, they're both fruit but different.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. Christian_B
      No Mood

Christian_B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07-2014
      Still, i would say 9/10 i've seen writing about smoking while having T. - says that if they smoke their T increases!

So for most i think it's not worth it.. i for sure slept a lot better, but the increase in T. makes it not worth in the end, at least for me.

• Informative Informative x 1