MicroTransponder: Latest News and Research

Discussion in 'Research News' started by erik, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I emailed them through that site and they said they are in the process of submitting the paper to an academic journal, so it should be available soon.

They also said the next trial will be starting near the end of 2016 or the beginning of 2017.

2. Monica

Monica Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015-03-25
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ears hurt by Doctor
      Hello, is there anyone who has heard was somewhere to get help with the new Tinitus implant in Europe think it is very bad information, has meilat Micrortansbonder twice and asked about this but ingt answer is there anyone who knows

3. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Did you email them through the site I linked in earlier posts?

I'm not entirely sure if they've released it in Europe yet. It might be a few more months until they do.

4. Kyxwz
      No Mood

Kyxwz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      x
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      x
      The Serenity System® has been developed by MicroTransponder to treat tinnitus. The Serenity System® pairs an existing therapy called Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) with listening to tones via headphones. VNS has been used to treat over 90,000 patients for epilepsy and depression.

The device is fully implantable and can easily be used at home. During the therapy, an individual sits in a comfortable chair and wears headphones. They listen to tones while receiving small bursts of neurostimulation, which activate the vagus nerve.

http://www.microtransponder.com/technology/how-it-works/

Also ATA speak about vagus nerve stimulation: https://www.ata.org/managing-your-tinnitus/treatment-options/experimental-therapies

Today I received an email from Jean-Philippe Allar VP Sales and Marketing international for microstransponder company:

"Hello,

Just we want to update you That We Should get our CE Mark (Therapy available in Europe) at around October time.

All the Best,

JP"

Studies on Serenity System: http://www.microtransponder.com/research/scientific-publications-2/
      (You can see these pubblications also on Pubmed)

Opinions? @Steve @Markku @Danny Boy

• Like Like x 3
    5. PrJM

PrJM Member

• Like Like x 1
    6. qube_7
      Buzzed

qube_7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Load sound/plug of wax
      Hi, thanks for the information.

I looked into microstransponder homepage and it looks promising. But I'm wondering if you know, or can make a good guess, how I as a person from Sweden will be able to get my hands on this treatment? And what will it costs?

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Kyxwz,
      I posted it awhile ago but my post was removed as already been posted..
      I was really interested about it as in England nothing like that gets done as far as I am aware ......promising treatment....lots of love glynis

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      You can send them an email at the bottom of this page: http://dev-microt.pantheonsite.io/en-gb/tinnitus/physicians/how-it-works

VNS has been known to treat a number of chronic ailments (epilepsy, depression, tinnitus, even obesity and chronic hiccups) but it's still considered experimental. Because of this, I'm not sure if any form of insurance will cover it, and it will possibly cost tens of thousands of dollars.

9. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      @J. Wing had this treatment. I was a bit out of range to do the trials. Not sure if it was a double blind study or if everyone got the real thing?

10. Leqi

Leqi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin Ear drop
      I have seen a person had this treatment on another T forum.

Unfortunately, it failed although he decided to leave the implant in his body.

11. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      It treats everything like depression, depression is not even a real thing! They probably think tinnitus isn't a real thing. This treats everything they doesn't exist and kills vampires. Sorry I just hate when things claim to treat depression, it's okay to be depressed because the worlds a depressing place you can't "cure" the world it is what it is. I feel like anyone who says their product treats depression is just trying to cash in on some "suckas".

12. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Yeah, I've seen two or three people report their results on this forum (it failed for all of them.) But, according to the results from the second trial, 56% of patients (about 17 out of 30) had good results. I'm thinking a.) most of the participants were older people (50+) who might barely use the internet in the first place, and b.) if your tinnitus got better, why would you even want to come to a place like this?

13. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I was checking my email and Will Rosellini responded to a tweet I sent him back in April (which he had already previously responded to.)

This original tweet I sent Will:

@NeuroStim Is the next trial planned? Sorry for all the questions, have had tinnitus for over a year and very anxious for new information.

I only used twitter for this purpose, but it seems like he replaced his original response to me (which was simply saying that the clinical trial is in the planning stage) with this:

@Jason_Cohen1 I left in 2013,(cancer), but the tinnitus community should retweet@Microtranspondr to HURRY THE FUCK UP with US PMA studies.

I think he realized that was rather unprofessional, because he then replaced it with this:

@Jason_Cohen1 MTI is letting the science speak for itself, but an active push will help speed it up, microtransponder.com/en-gb/tinnitus…

So, it seems like he's suggesting we email Microtransponder (the link in his last tweet) and ask them to hurry up, to show them there's interest and demand for the treatment.

14. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      And so the e-mails will begin... Below is the contact link for others to inquire!!!

http://www.microtransponder.com/en-gb/contact/tinnitus

• Like Like x 1
    15. Monica

Monica Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015-03-25
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ears hurt by Doctor
      Hey, does anyone know if Tinitus therapy from microtransbonder soon-to europe emailed microtransbonder five times and has received no reply has anyone heard if there is a problem or why it takes so long to get an answer

16. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      @Monica No response here either.

17. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      any1 know michael kilgards email? thanks

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Unfortunately, it seems progress with Microtransponder has been slower than a Pokemon Slowpoke. I wouldn't pin too much hope on this company. They have pulled in a lot of research money over the years but basically have not showed much for it. Even the information on their website is essentially the same as back in 2012.

Edit: I sound negative in my earlier response and I don't want it to be that way. Any research is good, even if the last couple of trials from other companies have failed. Contact Kilgard and get the update.

Erik

• Informative Informative x 1
    19. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      kilgard@utdallas.edu

I emailed him a few months ago. He took about 2 days to respond.

• Winner Winner x 1
    20. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
    21. Scorpius

Scorpius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otis Media
      I was surprised that this company has gotten funding for developing their own implantable VNS device, the technology they are developing is not revolutionary different then any other VNS company in the market. Also, with the existence of transcutaneous vagus nerve stimulation (t-VNS) this therapy could be done a lot cheaper and with less risk, if it works.

• Like Like x 2
    22. Michael Larsen
      Surfing

Michael Larsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice
      Anybody know what the system is going to cost

23. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Have you gotten a response back from Kilgard?

24. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
    25. rid0871

rid0871 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may of 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      had my neck adjusted
      was there any good news yesterday about VNS from MicroTransponder talk with the ata.org

does anyone know or did they watch the brief?

26. Michael Larsen
      Surfing

Michael Larsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice
      wondering if it comes on the market, before there comes a cure from one of the big Companys.

27. Michael Larsen
      Surfing

Michael Larsen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noice
      Does anyone have considered trying "MicroTransponder" if it ever comes to market?
      if it might be able to help 20 - 30 percent, then it was well worth considering

28. HomeoHebbian
      Question it

HomeoHebbian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I talked with Kilgard at a recent meeting. The impression I got was that the clinical improvement was better than the marginal improvements reported in most trials but still wasn't anything that blew him away. Many subjects reported improvement but many others did not. He seemed frustrated that the effects were so clear in animal models but more heterogenous in human subjects. He attributed this to the varied sources of tinnitus. Take this report for what it is - a quick, informal conversation at a meeting; I have not read any documents reporting the results of their trials. I got the impression from Kilgard that he does not think tinnitus is the neurological condition that could benefit most from vagus nerve stimulation therapies. I suspect that he will pivot towards stroke. I have no idea how his statement relates to MicroTransponder's plans and -again- I think we should keep waiting for the official report of their trial before jumping to any conclusions.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      Does anyone know when the report is coming out?

30. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      • Informative Informative x 2