MuteButton

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jim, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. Redknight

Redknight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They still need FDA approval to sell in the US, but they have the CE mark for EU I think.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Aaron123, we are still waiting for your thoughts on Neuromod and bimodal neuromodulation in general.

Those who are regular posters here, are just curious what your tinnitus loudness levels are, whether it’s one or two ears affected or if is it in the head, how long you’ve had tinnitus, any detectable hearing loss, and what was the cause?

I have a ringing in my left ear (ranges from 3/10 to 6/10) and a hissing noise that doesn’t appear to come from my ears but inside my head somewhere (7/10). I have had the left ear tinnitus for a few years and the hissing noise has become louder over the last six months. No detectable loss on a standard audiogram, however I had one before that showed a slight hearing loss. I had severe tinnitus for 2 weeks after a loud club once that reduced considerably in volume but now don’t consider myself a severe case (I know what severe tinnitus is - I’ve experienced it). I’ve also had anxiety/depression that may have worsened it - it’s unclear on the internet if this actually worsens or causes tinnitus, various psychiatric meds over the years, ear wax impacted, ear suction. Over the years I’ve avoided clubs and have worn ear plugs at a couple concerts I’ve been too.

I am hoping that Neuromod will interfere with the loop that’s causing the noise and knocking it down to where I won’t notice it during the day. I can hear mine when driving, outside in quiet, when TV’s on. I’m not expecting a complete elimination but I am hoping for the heavy price tag that will accompany it, it will knock the volume down.

Funnily enough I rarely have issues sleeping without masking due to the hissing masking a majority of the ringing. Probably because I’ve become used to it, sometimes distracts to concentrate.

On Monday we will reach Q2/2019, I am pretty sure Neuromod will announce something in the next couple of weeks now that the presentations are over and their next audience is the public.

Also, is there anyway to contact the guys on the peer review process to see how far their data is ready to be published?

I am hoping 2019 is the year that a device proves it lowers the volume of tinnitus for the majority of those with subjective tinnitus.

• Like Like x 9
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm the same... If I can get some reduction it'll be worth it. As my noise induced tinnitus is fairly recent, I'm hoping it'll take care of the new noises.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      I asked for the thoughts of one of the doctors who visits this site from time to time, and he didn't actually give an answer on it directly either. I think experts in this area are keeping quiet on it for now, and waiting to see how it pans out. Obviously we have the results of the trial, but until it's used in the wild it's still quite speculative. I think we can all agree that there's something there, it's just whether they're using it to full advantage yet.

Reading your post, I think your expectations for the device are reasonable from the results so far. I don't think anyone should be expecting a complete elimination - although that will happen for some, I'm sure - but a reduction in volume/intensity seems in line with the results of the study.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Any numbers on how this device is working? Does it work better with certain types of tinnitus?

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. Ger W

Ger W Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus common cold
      Do you think we will hear from Neuromod in Q2?

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Watch the Q&A.

8. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think it only works on tinnitus caused by acoustic trauma, loss of hearing, and somatosensory/musculoskeletal tinnitus. If the somatosensory/musculoskeletal tinnitus is caused by "mechanical" issues (pinched nerve?), it may not work. That is my understanding.

9. Ger W

Ger W Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus common cold
      Now that it's Q2 would anyone give a guess as to when we will get more info from Neuromod?

• Like Like x 1
    10. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      My feeling is the devices should clear all remaining hurdles and start filtering out in the EU in Q2, otherwise they really owe us a reasonable explanation for the holdup. I'm not expecting these to reach the US until 2020.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. M.K.
      Bookworm

M.K. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Somatosensory
      Hi @Lilah, tinnitus has all to do with overactive nerves; however, a pinched nerve would present with pain, tingling, and a numbness sensation and one would know immediately if that's the case.

12. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Dr. Ross O’Neill states that they believe most cases of tinnitus are caused by hearing loss. I know some people here have normal audiograms and there’s talk about the hidden hearing loss and obviously a lot of people have ‘noise induced tinnitus’, that may not show up on a normal audiogram.

Is there anybody here though where they have never had an acoustic trauma and has a normal audiogram and suffers from idiopathic tinnitus? I’ve seen this before with people ‘just woke up with tinnitus years ago and it stayed ever since’.

The reason I ask is that I think I have both a noise induced tinnitus (I’ve had severe tinnitus once after a ridiculously loud night club) but I’m questioning that my ‘head tinnitus’ as opposed to my left ear tinnitus, is more a symptom of chronic anxiety and thus was wondering if this treatment would still have a chance of turning it down? For example, I had a severe case of anxiety at the end of last year, that was pretty stressful. The last couple of months my head tinnitus appears more loud and I can hear it over driving, TV etc. My left ear tinnitus does not vary greatly, it’s a pretty steady electrical noise.

I can’t even get a reliable answer that anxiety or stress definitely causes head tinnitus, rather that it is just perceived more loudly when stressed. But at this moment in time I have little stress and a loud hissing head.

I always had head tinnitus but it’s definitely gone up in volume lately (no loud music exposures etc) so I would think it’s because of anxiety, and if this is the case, would Neuromod have the same chance of being effective as with the noise induced tinnitus?

• Hug Hug x 2
    13. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Pinched nerve is probably a bad example. The term mechanical is a bit vague, and to me it includes a lot of tinnitus causes besides pulsatile/vascular. But I think if the somatosensatory tinnitus is caused by a mechanical issue, whatever that may be, it is unclear whether the device may work (I hope I'm wrong). I hope it is a simple case of the device treating overactive nerves, in which case more people can be treated I think.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      My tinnitus is caused by neck and jaw issues. I wouldn't say I have a pinched nerve and it may have had somatic tinnitus a bit, but I really can't say it's somatic anymore.

15. spedgas
      Scared

spedgas Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Your line of thinking is similar to mine. My tinnitus literally appeared overnight. If it was there before then I didn’t notice it. I have nothing to blame it on as of yet. We live in a noisy world, but I don’t have one event I can point to and say that’s it. I live a self inflicted anxiety ridden life, but I’m having difficulty believing that is the sole cause of this. I’d been having TMJ issues for years before this too. In my case I think there are several factors at play here.

From day one the tinnitus has been only in my head. A few times a week it will travel to one ear or the other, but only for about 20 seconds.

I was told by my ENT and an audiologist that they didn’t feel that my audiogram was the cause of my tinnitus. The limitations of audiograms have been discussed many times on this site. One of these days I’ll go see a “tinnitus” audiologist and see what they think.

This device targets what they believe is the source of the phantom sounds in our brain. I’m very optimistic this device will help me. Hopefully whatever factor or factors caused this maladaptive neuroplasticity can be reversed.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus onset was brought by a one month period of high anxiety/grief (as well as general stress before). I woke up one night with high pitch pulsatile tinnitus, but it was not there when I woke up next morning. Then a month later, I realized a very loud all-consuming sound when I was in a quiet room. From then on, the sound fluctuates like crazy and I've also had extreme somatic symptoms (massaging any part of my head/face/back/throat increases the pitch, as well as chewing, deep breathing, bending etc.). I still have high pitch rhythmic sounds, but it's mostly waxing/waning.

So, even though I have extreme somatic symptoms, I'm not sure the cause and if I have somatosensory tinnitus.

Guess we will just have to wait and see if we fit the criteria.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Mine is in my brain too.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. GlennS

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Even as a kid I had "transient" tinnitus spikes where it would come and go usually over the course of about a minute. They didn't happen very often but I had them and I STILL have them every now and then on top of my existing tinnitus. So it's definitely possible to have tinnitus symptoms without hearing loss. I think that flavor of tinnitus is just more of a brain thing like a epilepsy and nervous tics. The transient tinnitus that I get now tends to happen most often when I'm stressed or exhausted.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Isn't this fleeting tinnitus (characterized by: a moment of deafness, then eruption of loud tinnitus in one ear, usually a clear tone but sometimes static, which then fades rapidly to zero)? That doesn't really count, it's a normal phenomenon happening to almost everyone.

• Agree Agree x 4
    20. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Can anyone summarise what the criteria is for using the Neuromod device?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    21. Ger W

Ger W Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus common cold
      Sorry to be going around in a circle on this again regarding the HEARING LOSS CRITERIA.

I'm confused! If I do not have hearing loss, does it mean I am not a good candidate for their device?

I'm assuming when I get a proper hearing test at end of April it will be fine although as pointed out by some members hearing tests do not pick up tiny hearing losses?

Hoping I have some small hearing loss loss so that I'm eligible for Neuromod.

Just turned 50, got tinnitus as a present 2 months ago, must be age related. I want to keep my options open should this condition stick around.

Appreciate feedback on the hearing loss criteria, but I realise it's all speculation right now.

22. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      The ultimate question...

23. Aurélien

Aurélien Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Night club, headphone, acoustic trauma
      Being 22 and living with this without much hearing loss and hyperacusis is truly hell...

Hope Neuromod will work out.

I'm on my way to become a billionaire and cure this shit anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. GlennS

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      It "counts" in the sense that it must shed some light on the mechanisms behind tinnitus. It may not be relevant to this thread, though.

25. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yes I do. I’m speculating that they don’t want to say anything more than they have already as they don’t want to undermine the peer review process. That would be the professional thing to do. In Q2 the peer review process should be complete for TENT-A1 and Ross O’Neill has made it clear they are going to be transparent for patients and it will be accessible presumably through a link on their website. If enough questions are raised and left unanswered when this has come out, perhaps we can ask Tinnitus Talk to ask them for another Q&A. I would also expect a release date once the peer review is complete providing they have done the necessary work to release it.

There is a name for this sudden instance of deafness, followed by a tinnitus that disappears after 30 seconds. It's called sudden brief unilateral tapering tinnitus (SBUTT). If you speak to people, almost everybody I’ve found has experienced this phenomenon. It’s chronic tinnitus that is a problem, not SBUTTs.

A member here had a normal audiogram, was on the trials and achieved complete elimination of tinnitus. Having to have hearing loss was not part of the inclusion criteria so you can assume you are still a good candidate for Neuromod treatment. In fact, hearing loss in particular frequencies would exclude you over a certain dB loss. Remember, tinnitus originates in the brain and not the ear, that is now generally accepted by researchers.

Look at the inclusion criteria for the TENT-A1 and TENT-A2 study. What we can assume is that it won’t work on objective or pulsatile tinnitus (why would it, when there’s a mechanical cause of tinnitus), you need to hear the range of frequencies (this is why an audiologist needs to tune it - so they can configure it if you have hearing loss in certain areas).

The info that has come out so far is that 80% or 2/3’s reported clinically statistical improvement on subjective tinnitus and the pitch/tonality/atonality/centrality/laterality has not shown to influence results. The only thing that they have revealed is that those with hyperacusis AND tinnitus are more likely to respond (super-responders) (90%!!) but those with just tinnitus are responders but it is as not as high.

It’s a very good question and hopefully we will learn more after the next release of info by Neuromod.

I expect some news from Neuromod soon, hopefully it’s not just another conference but something that all of us here will have access to. If this technology takes off, it really is going to be a blessing and change people’s lives for the better. We deserve it. Tinnitus has truly been a neglected area of research, lack of sympathy from professionals worldwide and a shed load of lucrative scams over the years that will be replaced with a real, effective treatment that isn’t just limited to learning to live with it.

Hope everyone is good - my head tinnitus has been going blasting lately.

• Like Like x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    26. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Is there a plan to follow up with clients/patients? That is, how long the improvements last? I read one article which stated that the tinnitus returned a week later or something?

They want to see if continued application of the treatment makes the improvement last longer or repeats the improvement?

• Genius Genius x 1
    27. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      A lot of the questions that keep being asked lately are already publicly available.

Have you not watched the video Q&A? Read the threads?

This will be the last time I am answering questions that are already public knowledge.

There was follow ups periodically up to 12 months. There were 3 arms in the TENT-A1. One of those arms showed improvement lasting this long. No data exists after the 12 month mark.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    28. Rohov Dmytro
      Batty

Rohov Dmytro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Am I missing something or is there nobody who can share information from the conference? I think no.

Any thoughts why that's the case? I thought the information there was intended to be public.

29. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I hope we'll hear from them soon, they're still active on Twitter liking other people's posts.

30. ruud1boy

ruud1boy Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 2006. Severe since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An enthusiastic youth
      Despite the links the lad posted on the previous page?