My Crying Child Increased My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joshua, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Joshua

Joshua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      my baby daughter was crying like crazy last night. I tried comforting her but she shrieked so loud that it caused my T to spike. It is now worse than it was and so far hasn't calmed down. I'm still new to T so on edge already. The tone is sharper and louder than before. Do others have this experience? Will this be permanent or just a spike? I guess that's a silly question, everybody's T is different. But I'm distressed. I got my anxiety levels down over the past few weeks but now I'm feeling panicky again. I hate this.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm really sorry to hear that, no pun intended. I don't know if it will be a permanent spike or not only time will tell. What I do suggest is taking NAC as it protects your hearing and hair cells. Also, I suggest doing something you enjoy to take your mind off it it...Maybe listen to some relaxing music.

Try this as it can actually help lower tinnitus and spikes.

Mozart - Sonata for Two Pianos in D, K. 448...

• Like Like x 3
    3. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Louder and sharper tone sounds like a spike to me, but if I were you, I'd take precautions.

1. You can't take screams from a baby over and over again. Start using earplugs, even when you sleep. I've attached a file on how to insert them properly.

If foam earplugs puts strain on the ear channel, get earplugs that are tailor made.

2. Get n-acetylcysteine straight away. Read about it here:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/n-acetylcysteine-nac.395/page-9#post-104313

3. To deal with T, a person may need to be crazy strong. If you're not alrady, get used to the idea that you will become.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Sound like simple stupid advise but get some deep sleep if you can, this will give your body the best chance to recover.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Get rid of the baby! Nah, just kidding.

• Funny Funny x 4
    6. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Hi @Joshua I have a screamy toddler at home. He can occasionally cause my T to spike but it has not ever led to anything permanent and my spikes have always settled down after a couple days. It's nothing to worry about. You might want to try earplugs at times when you know you'll be hearing crying to give you a little peace of mind.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joshua

Joshua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      Thanks, all, for the good advice.
      The spike did go down after a day or so and is back where it was before.
      @marqualler, good to have another father with small kids around here to sympathize with. I now keep ear plugs ready with me at all times. @VincentR, I thought I knew how to wear earplugs until you sent me that guide - you learn something new every day.
      Thanks again.

• Like Like x 2
    8. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Glad to hear it got better. We have a second baby due in September so I'm preparing myself for a lot of time wearing earplugs soon!

9. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Congratulations in advance!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      This is a great suggestion, in my opinion. Try melatonin, chamomile tea, valerian root. If needed, an OTC sleep aid or Ambien, for short term use. You may find that after a couple days of good deep sleep, your T will be lower, and this will give you confidence that it's a spike that will ease over time.

EDIT: The above was written before I read the entire thread. Good to hear you've noted improvement. Advice still holds...

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joshua

Joshua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      @MikeA and @Telis, good sleep is definitely key. Unfortunately, my three year old is a lousy sleeper and doesn't let me get too mush rest. But I manage to get enough sleep to avoid anxiety.
      @marqualler, congratulations! The one thing that really helps me forget my T are my kids. I'm sure you feel the same.
      Having a bit of a spike, again, today but I'm now understanding more that I'll have better and worse days and just need to get through the bad ones.

• Like Like x 3
    12. TBH, I doubt crying kids can make H or T worse permanently..I haven't seen it in thus far..

My daughter's voices and my own can increase my H, but only temporarily...so far

Anyways since yours went down, should give you more confidence for next time!

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Maybe a pacifier might help.

14. HalloweenScreamQueen
      Cheerful

HalloweenScreamQueen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I was about 12 YO
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      LOL, all I can think of is that commercial with the Dad spending his entire night trying to get his baby to sleep. (You may have seen it, it's on in the DC area...) Glad you tried ear plugs and that the spike resolved!