My Daily Tinnitus Severity Rate — No Clues

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, May 7, 2019.

1. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hi all,

I've been making a record for the past 9 days of my tinnitus severity... severity to me means how loud it is. 10 being maximum.

Monday: T10 - heavy cigar smoking
      Tuesday: T10 - heavy cigar smoking
      Wednesday: T5 - Zopiclone the night before
      Thursday: T2
      Friday: T1 up until 7pm and then jumped to T8
      Saturday: T10
      Sunday: T5 - got a little easier towards the night
      Monday : T1
      Tuesday: T5 so far and rising

Things I've noted not listed above. On the low/medium days, if I drift off at night and then wake, even if only 20 minutes, my tinnitus is cranked right up. I have taken Fluoxetine each day.

Does yours follow a similar pattern?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. winstona
      Balanced

winstona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure and excessive ear irrigation
      Allan, mine is very similar to yours. Basically mine somewhat like this:

2x T10
      2x T5
      2x T2 or 1x T2

Then the cycle repeats

Napping will reset the cycle from 2 to 10 for example

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yeah, they say sleep helps yet a nap screws your day up.

Any themes @winstona?

4. winstona
      Balanced

winstona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me, sleep doesn’t always help. It really depends on the type of day I am having.

The transition day(meaning, the day where you know you will go back to T10 tomorrow) is the one that usually provide the biggest opportunity for sleep/nap to ramp up the volume.

For example, let’s say I am on a T2 day, Taking a nap or sleeping for 8 hours can still resets the cycle from T2 to T10.

But on loud days, sleep usually doesn’t change anything for me. Sometimes it will provide some form of volume decrease for a few hours but eventually it will go back up After a while.

5. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Allan1967 -- Are you aware that antidepressants can exacerbate tinnitus?

Tinnitus Could be Worsened by Antidepressant Use

If you have any interest in a doctor who wrote a book on withdrawing from antidepressants (only one written), you can check out THIS POST. -- Best...

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine varies like nuts too. Can't see any link except stress and it's usually not even that. Zopiclone spiked it when I took it.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Allan1967

Can antidepressants and other medications help tinnitus?

Tinnitus is a complex condition that comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. It can be: mild, moderate, severe or extremely severe. Because its intensity can vary considerably, it can be difficult to know what another person is going through. When it is mild or moderate, many people are able to habituate to it and carry on with their life doing everything that they want to and may not always need a referral to ENT or a hearing therapist for treatment.

Tinnitus starts to become a problem when it loud and intrusive. If this level of intensity is sustained for a period of time, life can become a very traumatic experience, especially for someone that is new to the condition. A person’s once peaceful world has suddenly been invaded by a cacophony of noise, and it can seem there is no end to the nightmare that has befallen upon them. Insomnia, stress and anxiety are common conditions affecting such a person, which can often make the tinnitus, seem louder and more intrusive. Stress makes tinnitus worse and tinnitus makes stress worse. So, the more relaxed someone is the less intrusive the tinnitus will appear to be and often making life more tolerable.

If your GP suggests taking an antidepressant or a sleeping draft then I advise you to consider it. However, for various reasons some people are averse to taking medications, and when it comes to antidepressants or sleeping tablets they vehemently oppose the idea and prefer to deal with the problem without assistance from prescription drugs. Admirable as this might seem, coping with intrusive tinnitus isn’t easy. The usual methods of keeping busy to distract one’s attention from the noise or masking it with another sound so that it can’t be heard often prove unsuccessful and at times exhausting, because tinnitus is quite resilient and will put up a fight.

Contrary to what some people believe, antidepressants or other medications to help cope with tinnitus, don’t have to be taken long term and can act as a safety net, helping to prevent a person becoming too down. Remember, the less stressed and relaxed we are, the less intrusive the tinnitus will appear to be. This can go a long way in helping a person to habituate to the condition with time.

Some medications can make tinnitus more intrusive and this has been said about antidepressants. However, in many cases the effects are usually temporary. As we are all different it wouldn’t be right to say everyone that takes AD will be adversely affected. My blood pressure medicine is listed as “can cause ringing in the ears”. I haven’t noticed any increase in my tinnitus and I have been taking it for quite some time.

Life can be problematic even at the best of times. With the added pressure of coping with intrusive tinnitus, may advice is to try and make things a easier on yourself. Talk to your doctor and if an antidepressant or other medications is advised then try it and give it time to work, at least six weeks.

Tinnitus and mental health.

Type tinnitus into any search engine and you will see links to thousands of websites. They will explain its symptoms, causes and a variety of treatments that are available in the medical field. It seems everyone is catered for, because there is no shortage of information on alternative medicine or natural remedies for anyone wanting to pursue these routes. Those new to tinnitus sometimes feel isolated by it and therefore, it might be comforting to read, that millions of people around the world experience this condition and most learn to live with it.

Reassuring as this seems, learning to live with tinnitus and getting to a point where one accepts it and is not troubled by noise is easier said than done for some people. The reason being, the habituation process can be a mysterious one with many twists and turns along its path. Just when you think you’ve got a handle on it and a corner has been turned. A spike or the sudden introduction of a new sound can be a stark reminder that you haven’t quite reached there yet. This is particularly true for those new to the condition and similarly, for anyone that has been seasoned to it for a while and noticed a resurgence in intensity for one reason or another.

Since the majority of people learn to live with tinnitus it is reasonable to assume the condition stays relatively mild or moderate for them most of the time. Therefore, it might not always be necessary to see the GP. If it does, a consultation will usually allay any fears that there is nothing drastically wrong. Providing no pain is experienced in the ears and there is no problem with balance, dizziness or deafness, patients are usually told it’s tinnitus and they will get used to it. However, nothing is for certain as we are all different. It is not uncommon for some people to be feeling stressed or anxious by the noise in the early stages. A light sedation or an antidepressant can often help a person to cope until the tinnitus settles down and one habituates. A referral to ENT for tests might be recommend just to make sure everything is as it should be and there are no signs of hearing loss which can cause tinnitus.

If there are no additional symptoms as mentioned above, when does it become necessary to seek more professional help for tinnitus if habituation is proving to be difficult? There is no definite time frame for this, although someone new to the condition a period of up to six months perhaps a little longer, is considered an acceptable amount of time to habituate. A lot depends on one’s personality and emotional makeup. If they find coping with daily life too difficult, this can increase stress and affect their mental well being and this needs to be kept in check. Although an antidepressant can help a person not to become too down, some people are averse to taking them and prefer to go it alone, which isn’t always the best choice.

My opinion on this is that tinnitus and a person’s mental health are integrated. The more stressed we become the more intrusive the tinnitus will be and vice versa. Anything that helps to relax us will usually have a positive impact on the tinnitus and make it more tolerable. Counselling with Hearing Therapist or Audiologist trained in tinnitus management can be of immense help and should be considered.

The therapist discusses with the patient how the tinnitus makes them feel and how it has impacted on their life. Often people say they have lost interest in the things they once liked doing, which is understandable. Those they are close to particularly loved one’s don’t understand what they are going through which can put a lot to strain on a relationship. Talk therapy can help a person to look at life differently and with a more positive outlook. Over time the negative thinking that is often associated with tinnitus is gradually dispelled and demystified. The therapist does this in a controlled and precise manner so that the patient feels relaxed and not pressured. In many instances the tinnitus is gradually pushed further into the background making it less prominent. I believe tinnitus counseling with or without medication can go a long way in helping a person to have a better quality of life.

Michael

PS: When someone with tinnitus is referred for counselling, I believe this is best done with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist who has been trained in the management of tinnitus. Often these people have tinnitus or experienced it at some time in their life. Therefore, they will have a depth of understanding and be able to empathize with a patient rather than someone who is just a counsellor, psychotherapist or psychiatrist with no experience of tinnitus.

People have contacted me who have been referred to the health professionals I have mentioned, and the first thing they have been told: I know nothing about tinnitus.

8. Duncan L
      Benevolent

Duncan L Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Brain Stem injury due to over-ambitious yoga stretch
      Same here - if I nod off in front of the TV and suddenly wake up the T jumps straight to 8/10+ and i am straight into panic mode. On the exceptional occasion when I get a solid sleep the T can take longer to ramp up - but when I say longer I mean 10 seconds versus a millisecond.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I am glad to see you are having low days! That is good.

Now you gotta figure out why they are low on those days. There has to be something going on.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Falling asleep in front of the TV is a problem as the volume varies on the TV, and when I wake up, I spike my T sometimes, and get a sense of ear fullness- even with the volume set to low. I try and avoid this.

11. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I hate taking naps because I feel like my tinnitus becomes more noticeable. It stays that way until I go back to sleep and wake up the next day, it's the only thing so far that I know could spike my tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Today is a major high day and I feel like I want to end it. My son is 14 and it would devastate him, he'd probably commit suicide himself.

• Hug Hug x 3
    13. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I stopped gauging my T long ago. There is no real reason to. It has a mind of it's own and always will (for now) with no rhyme or reason to why it does what it does. I know there are things I do that will make it louder. In the end, there is really nothing I can do about it and the less thought I gave it, the better.

• Like Like x 1
    14. winstona
      Balanced

winstona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I use this predictability to interrupt the cycles when I needed. Say for example I know I need a quieter day for an important event, I would try to manipulate the cycle to make that happen.

I know it’s important to sometimes forget about the ups and downs of tinnitus to may be habituate better, but some sort of predictability is nice at times.

15. winstona
      Balanced

winstona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allan, Spikes are normal for us sufferers. I sometimes have 4 loud days in a row and then 1 good day and cycle repeats. But don’t let it bring you down, spikes are usually temporary and u will back to your baseline very soon. Besides for us cyclical tinnitus sufferers, you know a couple of loud days will be followed by a couple of better days.

16. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I don't see how you really can affect it one way or another. You cannot really predict or control how loud it is going to be at a given moment. The less attention you give it, the better you will be in the long run.

17. winstona
      Balanced

winstona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Depends on your tinnitus.

I think most people in this thread has some sort of predictability in their tinnitus, namely:

- Quiet Days almost certainly becomes loud days after a night’s sleep
      - Tinnitus can be awakened by nap on quiet day and cycle resets

My cycle is almost always like this:
      2 loud days
      2 medium days
      1-2 quiet days

So let’s say if I need a quieter day three days from now and today is a quiet day. I can choose to take a nap and awaken the loud tinnitus, then the cycle resets and then three days from now I at least will have a medium loud day. That’s almost always how I manage my tinnitus and it works most of the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I moved from a settled baseline to a screaming bastard baseline that spikes.

19. winstona
      Balanced

winstona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am sorry to hear that...I think it’s temporary and it will settle back to your previous baseline soon.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I hope so. Thank you @winstona.

21. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How long did it take you to stop measuring you tinnitus? I seem to be doing it everyday. I want to break this habit as I think its probably not healthy for me.