My Tinnitus Went Away! It Does Go Away

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Marco23, Feb 5, 2020.

1. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      As awful as it is we all still have tinnitus, I think we can always celebrate the luck of others and take words with a grain of salt. OP likely didn't mean it always goes away, but it CAN go away - this doesn't need to be stated so obviously. Or maybe that's just the way I interpret posts here, based on what we know about tinnitus. They're not wrong anyway, if it goes away for some, then it obviously does go away (for some).

Anyway, I personally believe that this section is about SUCCESS STORIES and coming down hard with all the negativity isn't exactly helpful for people who come here to calm down and feel better.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Capstan

Capstan Guest

I'm in this with you too. Going through an electrical thunderstorm at this moment :cry:

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2019(nearly gone)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Unfortunately doctors and even ENTs have very little knowledge of tinnitus.

When I first went to a doctor and told him I got ringing in my ears from taking Amitriptyline just said "no". I explained how the ringing went way down once I stopped and then came back several hours after taking it once again a few days later. He just "no, not possible" and wrote on a referral form that I had hearing loss and noise damage...

4. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the optimism.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Sironketchup way to keep the positivity alive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. screechesilence
      Wishful

screechesilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      STRESS, high frequency sensorineural loss (birth)
      The clowns I went to see, both my local GP and then ENT hospital referral told me my ears are very clean, in fact maybe too clean if there was such a thing. I can’t comprehend as I’ve heard this story too many times now, just how one of us poor souls can suffer from tinnitus or any ear issue for so long and see many doctors over a span of 2 years, yet not be told they have a buildup of wax?! Looking into your ears is the first and sometimes only thing they do so really, what the hell?! I don’t know what to think about myself either reading stories like these, because with the pandemic around, it is not so easy going to see a doctor these days.

I have an extremely high pitched electric hissing like my brain is being fried. It is comparable to what a lot of you have described here. It is on both ears and all over my head. I am so fed up of it so typed it on the forum search box and this thread was the first thing that came up. I have had it much more frequently lately and tonight it is absolutely insane. It alternates after a good nights sleep with a fainter sound but always comes back. If I wake up with it, it lasts all day and doesn’t tone done down until I sleep again if I’m lucky.

I am going absolutely insane and I am completely hopeless. I start a new, much more demanding than usual, job in September. When I first got tinnitus in February, I dreamed of a quieter more peaceful time come September. That has not been the case at all. I truly appreciate the advice and encouragement of @Bill Bauer but I sometimes wish I had no good days - that’s right, I have hoped and wished for so long, every time things get a bit better, but it is always short lived and I can’t seem to habituate to it either due to this. I also don’t understand why once you get better you’d revert to being worse, if it is related to hearing loss or damage, it is what it is, so tinnitus should be more or less consistent too?

I will be amazed if I’m alive by the end of the year.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    7. tpj
      Sad

tpj Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
      Daiso completely agree with your comment. Had this evil thing for 12 years and recently experienced another spike. Your negativity is based in reality and I believe the experience of most tinnitus sufferers.

• Winner Winner x 1
    8. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @tpj I have had tinnitus for 30 years. I am sorry to hear you are going through a spike. I also had many spikes, currently in one. My only solace is that I have always habituated in time. Please do not envy someone who has recovered. I pray for better treatments and a cure. G-d bless.

9. tpj
      Sad

tpj Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
      Hi Ken, I don't think I felt envy when I wrote my comment but daiso's post just resonated with me. I'm glad you've habituated, hope I do too.

• Like Like x 1
    10. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      @Bill Bauer I always appreciate your optimism and encouragement.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had actually been accused of spreading negativity and gloom. It had to do with my posts about the need to take the protection of one's ears from all of the noises that don't feel right seriously.

I would never want to give anyone False hope. When I know that, based on what I've been reading on this forum for the past 3.5 years, there is a good chance that a poster will get better, I share that with the sufferer.

12. twa
      Busy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Are you saying from experience for the most part, people get better?

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It would seem that most people experience fading after 3 months or so, and of those most eventually (after 1-3 years) get to the "can hear it only in quiet rooms stage".

• Like Like x 1
    14. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      It's not pessimistic, it's the truth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. twa
      Busy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      I would agree.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. Ginagg738
      Lucky

Ginagg738 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 9, 2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Side affects from inner ear surgery
      Wow. Congrats! I'm really happy for you. God bless you.

17. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Bill Bauer according to an ENT at YALE, one of the best doctors in the country that I just saw, the condition is known to completely go away, but after one year it is less likely. The doctor said she has seen it go away 100% for people but pops back up due to stress/anxiety.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    18. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @n_li808,

People like @weab00 are the people you have to ignore.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    19. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @n_li808 I want my pre-tinnitus life back so bad :( it’s unreal! I mourn my old life every day. I used to be so happy.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I remember thinking I couldn't last 5 months with it, and now here I am at 5 years. Congratulations to those who get better.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      When your ears get full of wax you get Temporary Tinnitus which goes away after you have them cleaned. Heard many stories like this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. twa
      Busy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      There are many things in the pipeline, new drugs in trial, Dr. Susan Shore's device in trial, many possibilities.

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      After one year it often fades to the "can hear a gentle hiss only in quiet rooms" stage.
      This is consistent with the idea that once one has had tinnitus, one's ears have been compromise and now it will take less to cause problems...

25. n_li808
      Irritated

n_li808 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      aug 20, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      most likely from acoustic shock/trauma
      Same!! It’s so sad...

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @n_li808 horrific that this exists.

27. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @n_li808 I don’t recognize myself in those happy pictures. It’s a different girl.

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. n_li808
      Irritated

n_li808 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      aug 20, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      most likely from acoustic shock/trauma
      @Tara Lyons for real... I had no idea this was possible... I wish I knew.

Yea I look at old pics and I’m like... hey I didn’t have tinnitus then. Even looking at others doing things on social media... I envy how careless and free they are. I’m living so cautiously now :(

29. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      30 years ago I would say I was on a path of self destruction. Tinnitus came into my life and I entered an alternate life. A life of severe tinnitus. I have had spikes and habituation. It takes 12-18 months. I would estimate out of the 30 years I spent 6 years of pure hell habituating. After I habituate life is okay. It allowed me to slow down and concentrate on my family and work. I am 72 years old, have a good family and at times a happy life. I do pray every night I complete a day. Yes I speak to a higher 'power', I'm a believer. I do all the talking but there may be a chance someone is listening? I know I'm asking a lot but what the heck! Please hang in and G-d bless.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    30. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I'm back in this thread after lasering, albeit gently, which gave me a spike, followed by being exposed to a fire alarm. The good news is I'm not the worst I've been, still better than a couple of months ago, but the bad news is I'm suffering through each day, doing the whole suicide calculus again.

Weirdly when my tinnitus got louder now, it didn't go back to the EEEEEE it originally started at, it just made my buzz saw / whirring atonal noises louder, which were what the EEEEE changed into after 2-3 months. So I guess in that sense it is progress.

I know some people have benefitted from lasers, but personally, I can't recommend them. Even without the additional loud noises, they seemed to sensitize my hyperacusis which had largely abated, and increase my reactivity, not to mention reawaken the tonal aspects of my tinnitus, which had become atonal. It was basically like a rewind machine to revisit earlier stages of my tinnitus.

I have Xanax now, though I loathe to use it, but at least it is an option.

• Like Like x 1