N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, May 16, 2012.

1. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      I take it more as a preventive measure. I already have some hearing loss, by taking NAC I hope to avoid any further loss which in the end should also prevent a worsening of my tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I take a total of about 12 different vitamins and I bought NAC. I have read to not take NAC everyday? Why is that? Is it dangerous?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Where did you read that?

4. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I've been taking NAC just about every day now for the last eight years. Always in the morning on an empty stomach. No side effects for me.

5. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I have a bridge on the top, back right, that came loose recently, and has to be replaced. I went in today to have it removed. The dentist is good, did the best he could, but it was intense - the drilling and the banging to break it out were both loud but this possibly sounded worse because I was wearing foam earplugs (which can only do so much as the vibrations go to the bone). There doesn't seem to be any spike or much of an increase in tinnitus, so far, but time will tell.

I didn't take NAC, (N-Acetylcysteine) as it normally doesn't agree with me, but that was some mild stomach distress, nothing serious. I finished about an hour ago.

My tinnitus had been very quiet today, since the dental work it's present somewhat but not too bad - it could be my nerves. Maybe it's too late as I didn't take it before the work, but I have decided to take NAC (N-Acetylcysteine).

Any recommendations on how much should I take and for how long? Thanks.

6. EarHair

EarHair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012 worsened Jan 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and TMJ and genetics (Mom, Grandpa have it)
      1000mg a day for 7-14 days. Take it with food if it upsets your stomach.

• Like Like x 1
    7. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      NAC makes my T disappear completely.

• Like Like x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      At what dose?

9. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I dunno...i took only 1 pill today before the dentist and it makes it go away...it wears off though and now my T is back.

I only use it before a noise exposure that i am uncomfortable with.

I'll take a look at it tomorrow when i find my bottle...its pretty cool...but not permanent.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I took NAC for three days and got the worst spike ever:D. But as always, you never know if it was really from the NAC.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Yeah remember I tried it with you and got the spike too.

• Funny Funny x 1
    12. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Bad times man, bad times:D

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. dnl
      Wishful

dnl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin/Bupropion
      I took NAC for a month or so after my onset, it didn't increase my tinnitus (from what I could tell at the time). Since then I've taken it during flu season and when I've felt a bad cold coming on... so 2-3 times or so over the past 9 months for 1-2 week periods) . It hasn't caused any spikes for me. Everyone is different so your mileage may vary.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I might have to stop taking NAC for the foreseeable future. Apparently it can inhibit platelets and I’ve found I have a low count that’s quite under the normal range. I think this supplement may be a reason for that, even though I don’t take a lot.
      If only my luck would improve and idiots stop making so much noise.

15. Owen392

Owen392 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I don't know
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      Hi Deb, I have read that you planned to try N-Acetylcysteine amide NACA in 2013. Have you tried it?

• Informative Informative x 1
    16. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      I don't find that NAC works at all, I still got worse while taking it, it does not seem to prevent spikes from happening.

17. rtlewis88
      Daring

rtlewis88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1980s Concerts Hyperacusis Since: 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and Occupational Hazards as a Young Adult
      What is the NAC dosage for gunshot-ear (30 hours ago)?

The stuff on the web varies from 1200 mg per day for 15 days, to 3000 mg per day for 10 days... and other dosages. I just got the bottle.

I am, of course, talking about the noise from the blast, not a wound - lol.

• Hug Hug x 2
    18. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      How much is the dosage on your bottle, can you take a picture, or link to it so I can see?

19. rtlewis88
      Daring

rtlewis88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @GSC,

This is it.

https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/nac-acetyl-l-cysteine-600-mg-50-capsules/vs-1294

It said, for maintenance, take one 600 mg capsule daily, so I went on ahead in took 2. But, only after reading on the web that 1200 mg approximated other acute situations (I couldn't locate anything for, specifically, acoustic trauma dosages). It was around an hour ago - I did not want to risk waiting too much longer. I suppose I feel a little groggy, with a tad of that vitamin B like sensation on my tongue, along with the prickly feeling of vitamin B (but not as bad as GABA supplement, if know what that's like). Probably a side affect from never taking it - along with a big(ish) dose.

You think I did okay?

Thanks!!

20. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      I read it, and I think you are fine. It said to only use 600 mg for a dietary supplement and you are not using for that. It says you can take 1,200-1,800 safely. Even in some cases 3,000 - 5000. I think you outta be fine. How do you plan on using it from here on? It seems like three doses of 600mg a day is the most common dosing.

Edit: Maybe melatonin would help too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. rtlewis88
      Daring

rtlewis88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @GSC, I was seeing that they gave the guinea pigs 1005 mg a day to save their ears - in a big study - and that's a lot for the little guys. It also mentioned that they suffered not toxicity at that dose - and their ears were 95+% saved.

Thank you for finding all that; so you deduce 3 X 600mg daily, for the 15 days? And then maintenance of just the 600mg per day?

Oh, and I already take magnesium and melatonin...

• Like Like x 1
    22. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Melatonin and mag will hopefully help you as well. That is a lot for guinea pigs. I think you would be safe taking anywhere to 1200 - 1800 mg a day. I would personally do 600mg three times a day. But I think from what I'm reading, you could even do a fourth dose JUST IN CASE? Maybe call your doctor and see the dosing he would give you and compare. I would stick to 600 in the morning. 600 for a noise exposure you're uncertain of. Then the last for when you go to bed.

• Like Like x 2
    23. rtlewis88
      Daring

rtlewis88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @GSC,

That's what I'll indeed do; you're a gift!

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. rtlewis88
      Daring

rtlewis88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for directing my attention to this post @Artazanasss , I looked for this precise info before I posted my query. It helped confirm that I was doing it right... well, on the high end of right. The NAC isn't really bothering me in the ways it can - just a tad.

You're awesome!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    25. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I started taking NAC back in 2010. Unfortunately, studies have shown it to be ineffective as an otoprotective agent or with helping tinnitus. Also, NAC capsules are prone to oxidation. When I do take NAC, I take PharmaNAC. The tablets are effervescent and dissolve in water. I also stack NAC with L-Methionine and Nicotinamide Riboside. Here is a good read by a parent trying to increase glutathione levels in their twin girls.

http://addiandcassi.com/beware-of-a...etyl-cycsteine-nac-boosts-glutathione-levels/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. rtlewis88
      Daring

rtlewis88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, @vttbx , I'm checking out the info you provided. Does that oxidization condition cause the rot smell they say is 'normal?'

27. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm not sure. My bottle of NAC is at least one year old and expires in October of this year. It has a mild smell but nothing that would be considered rotten. I don't think the smell is the only indication of oxidation.

• Informative Informative x 2
    28. rtlewis88
      Daring

rtlewis88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Some of us find NAC useful for mitigating trauma, etc., but it furthermore seems undisputed that NAC reduces oxidative stress and neuroinflammation, plus some other useful things. Hence, in an attempt to mitigate our tendency to present imbalances in our excitatory/inhibitory systems - due to abnormalities in our glutamatergic pathways, the NAC can work for us as both a glutamatergic modulator and an antioxidant. In other words, we can come off our panic induced spikes much easier with NAC.

What I am saying is there is now clinical evidence, showing NAC can "normalize glutamate neurotransmission into the nucleus accumbens and other brain structures, in part by upregulating the expression of excitatory amino acid transporter 2 (EAAT2), a.k.a. glutamate transporter" (Slattery, et al., 2015, p. 295).

Oh, and this quote is surely important: "Overall, NAC treatment appears to be safe and tolerable" (Slattery, et al., 2015, p. 295)

Slattery J, Kumar N, Delhey L, Berk M, Dean O, Spielholz C, Frye R (August 2015). "Clinical trials of N-acetylcysteine in psychiatry and neurology: A systematic review". Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews. 55: 294–321

• Like Like x 2
    29. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I have been taking NAC for about 3 months now. I really notice no difference in anything. It's just one of those OTC things that I read some decent anecdotal stuff on. Most of the reports I read were really slanted and from 1 or 2 sources so I am not sure how I feel about that.

I will keep taking it because I paid for it and there is zero impact to my negatively. We shall see!

• Informative Informative x 2
    30. rtlewis88
      Daring

rtlewis88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @dayma, this for new applications, not what we usually take it for. Moreover, this is critical info, as it addresses something that may prevent suicides and other problems. It is not anecdotal, it is peer reviewed, and part of my university PhD research - I am studying to be a Psychologist.