N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, May 16, 2012.

1. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanks Jazz. I will start at the recommended dose then. I am still a bit confused however. Why is it only available as effervescent tablets here in Sweden while you guys swallow them whole as regular pills? Is it really the same stuff? The main purpose for it here is for chronic bronchitis and stuff like that. It's thinning out the mucus or something. You could also inhale it through a machine, but normal pills arent available.

2. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Yeah, I have no idea. But NAC is also used for bronchitis in the US too. The dose for that is 1800 mg a day, I believe.

Well, the effervescent tablets shouldn't smell. But, really, I'd prefer just popping a pill, smelly or not. The good part, however, is that you're getting a pharmaceutical grade product so it should be potent. Over-the-counter supplements, like NAC in the US, often vary in their quality. You don't have that worry! :)

And be patient while you await results. With tinnitus, time is not your friend; it makes the tinnitus more stubborn. That doesn't mean you can't get better; hopefully, you'll get a lot better! But it may just take a little bit longer. Because NAC helped me two years into my tinnitus, I'm optimistic that all chronic sufferers should be able to get relief.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      No, they smell and taste like lemon @jazz but what bugs me is that there is a lot of sodium stuff in it. Isnt that bad for T?

4. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      If you're concerned about the sodium content of the form of NAC you currently have, maybe just try import some from a reputable supplier.

There's a bunch of supplements that are technically illegal to sell here (5-HTP and melatonin are two that I can recall off the top of my head) that I just choose to import instead and I've never had any problems with customs, even if they've looked through the package.

5. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah, I'm starting to have second thoughts about this. I took one tablet this morning and I already regret it after reading that sodium isnt good for T. I've been watching that australian show "Border Security" so I find it a bit ironic that you can order stuff that's illegal otherwise :)

6. jeffie7
      Wishful

jeffie7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2003
      GNC brand NAC here's the label

How much sodium does some brands have? People are weird with sodium but truth is if you don't eat processed food and cook at home chances are your sodium intake is 80% less than the next guys.

Even when you think you use a lot of salt at home. It's nothing compared to packaged foods.

Attached Files:

7. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I also ordered NAC.
      How much shall I take? 1 pill of 600 mg or 2 per day?

8. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How much is a lot?

Well, too much sodium is bad, but I don't know what the magic number is. In the US, for people with high blood pressure, physicians usually prescribe that people limit their sodium intake to 2000 mg a day. That goal is impossible if you eat fast food. (I don't.)

I will say, however, that diet definitely affects my tinnitus--but I've never figured out exactly what I can eat without bothering my tinnitus.

@Martin69 I'd start with 600 mg for a month. Let your body get used to it. You can increase later. Remember, long term we don't know what this supplement may do to us so I suggest starting low and increasing. And, please know, I still have tinnitus. Right now, I'm loud again! But I am better, a lot better than before I went on the drug. My main concern is that NAC's affects will wear off over time. I had great results from Matcha tea, 2x a day, for several months then it became ineffective. The same happened to me with magnesium. When I first took it--after I initially got tinnitus--it would erase the noise for several hours. After a year, it did nothing to help my noise--but it probably still helped calm my brain. I'm not being negative, just realistic. I do hope NAC is different! :)

Good luck, Martin! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Thanks jazz.

10. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      I was sent an email from Tinnitus Talk requesting my experiences of using NAC, so here it is;

I have taken NAC 3 X 600mg for over 6 months. It had zero effect on my tinnitus...just like the hundreds of things I have taken over the past 30 years. Nothing has had any impact on my tinnitus.

I do, however, feel it has lessened the occurence of headaches that I get frequently

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. Watts

Watts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      I thought I'd give this a shot because of all the positive reviews on here. But could anyone tell me if the following link is the right product?

https://www.ergomax.nl/n-acetyl-cysteine

This is called (NAC) N-Acetyl-Cysteine. Is that the same as the N-acetylcystein everyone is talking about here?

12. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Watts Yes it is the same.

13. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I am delighted to find out that ConsumerLab is now testing NAC supplements. All the products they tested were approved, meaning that the pills contain exactly what is advertised on the bottle.

Tested (and approved) brands were: Bluebonnet, Carlson, Doctor's Best, KAL, Nature's Sunshine, NutriCology, PharmaNAC, Pure Encapsulations, Puritan's Pride, Solgar, Source Naturals, Twinlab, Vitamin Shoppe, Vitamin World, and Whole Foods.

Other reputable brands are quite possibly fine; but this list is the safest bet, in my opinion. (Happily, the unopened brand on my shelf is Doctor's Best. I'll try soon and report back.)

-Golly

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
    14. hulagirl
      Creative

hulagirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      What about sustained release NAC? Also, I've read that it should be taken with vitamin C. I would appreciate any thoughts or experience on this??

• Creative Creative x 1
    15. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I take Jarrow's Sustained NAC. It states on the bottle that one should take it on an empty stomach with fruit juice.

Would like to know why, too. Does the fruit juice increase absorption?

Interesting that they didn't test Jarrow's. What's your opinion of that brand? Do you know if ConsumerLab has tested products by Jarrow's before, and whether they passed or not?

16. hulagirl
      Creative

hulagirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      The fruit juice is probably the source for vitamin C that I have been reading about?? Most people said to just take a vitamin C pill with the NAC?? I love Jarrow products and wonder if Consumer Lab has tested them as well?? Carlson is also good.

17. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks! :)

18. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      My T is 2 and half months old. First month I had a semi loud Tttttttttttttttttttttt sound in my left ear and a whoooooosshhhh sound in my right ear.

I started NAC pills in 2nd month and the Loud Ttttttttttttttttttttttttt in m left ear is almost gone and both ears now have a whoooshh sound. When I sleep on my left ear, i hear the Tttt but its no where close to what it was before.

I use this NAC bottle from Wegmans.
      Solgar NAC, Free Form, 600 mg, Vegetable Capsules

https://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/...toreId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=673912

Attached Files:

• NAC.jpg
        NAC.jpg
        File size:
        7.4 KB
        Views:
      • Like Like x 2
    19. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I don't wish to ruin anything but today went to the pharmacy in Germany. When studying and discussing this medicament it showed that a side effect could be Tinnitus.
      So how is it possible it should help Tinnitus?
      I think it seems to help people who might have some cold syptoms etc.

20. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Got any source to back that up? T is not listed as a side effect on my stuff.

21. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
    22. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Hi @Markku --

I just did a quick search on ConsumerLab and noted that Jarrow products are frequently tested. The products I peeked at (Acetyl L-Carnitine, Calcium/D3, Magnesium, and probiotics) were all approved.

I believe Jarrow is a solid brand; it just happens not to be one of the brands tested for NAC this time around.

-Golly

23. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hmm, it's all in german and there is nothing called "manual". I downloaded the Beipackzettel and did a search for tinnitus and this came up:

4.8 Nebenwirkungen
      Sehr häufig (≥1/10)
      Häufig (≥1/100 bis <1/10)
      Gelegentlich (≥1/1.000 bis <1/100)
      Selten (≥1/10.000 bis <1/1.000)
      Sehr selten (<1/10.000)
      Nicht bekannt (Häufigkeit auf Grundlage der
      verfügbaren Daten nicht abschätzbar)
      Erkrankungen des Immunsystems
      Gelegentlich: allergische Reaktionen, z. B.
      Juckreiz, Urtikaria, Exanthem,
      Rash, Tachykardie, Blutdrucksenkung,
      Bronchospastik,
      Angioödem.
      Sehr selten: anaphylaktische Reaktionen
      bis hin zum Schock.
      Erkrankungen des Nervensystems
      Gelegentlich: Kopfschmerzen
      Erkrankungen des Ohrs und des Labyrinths
      Gelegentlich: Tinnitus

Is this what you meant? Could you translate this?

24. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Ohrengerausch means Tinnitus. Not only the document said it also a human being working in pharmacy. I stop replying now I would like to know why there is existing such conflicting info..

25. JSalvatore
      Studious

JSalvatore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Today I too my first effervescent pill, had no hyperacusis for the whole day. I went to a basketball match that I usually found as a bit distressing for my ears without even noticing any loud noise. I think it could improve my tinnitus after taking this meds for a while. Will keep you informed. Have a nice day.
      Juan

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    26. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I am hoping to start NACA (N acetylcysteine amide) IV as soon as I get it imported into Australia from an American based pharmacy. I have read a few articles now that state that nac with an amide group added to it will cross the blood brain barrier more readily, and because of this, will require a lower dose to obtain a therapeutic benefit with less side effects. Has anyone else thought to try this?

27. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
    28. tyty
      Wishful

tyty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @MichaelM, thank you for your post and I would appreciate hearing if you have noticed any improvement since your last post. Not sure when how long you have been on this but I will wait to hear your response before I purchase the product in your photo. I have a box full of supplements that did nothing so would love to hear something positive about this product before spending my money on another product. Thanks for you help and would love to hear from others regarding this product.

29. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      @tyty , 2 weeks now. No changes whatsoever.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    30. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      NACA is better absorbed across the blood brain barrier than NAC because of the addition of an amide group..

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1