Natural Supplements for Anxiety?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Sep 26, 2019.

1. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Hit me up with your suggestions!

Just know that I need something STRONG, as my anxiety is pretty bad.

Therapy (CBT and ACT) hasn't worked for me. Antidepressants don't work no more.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      My position as made clear in the other thread is... supplements do virtually nothing.

@Lane has experimented with supplements and would be a good guy to contact for perspective on supplements. He is more in the supplement camp than I am.

What ADs have you tried? Have you tried lithium? Lane likes lithium. I like Clonazepam. Some suggest that SSRIs like Prozac can even make tinnitus worse.

Best approach since there isn't any cure for tinnitus? Distraction by immersing yourself into a full life including exercise... a life of purpose, sunshine, love, friends, intellectual challenge... all the things that makes us feel fulfilled and push tinnitus more to the back burner where it belongs.

Feel better TheDanishGirl.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If herbs were strong, they would be illegal.

Try Reishi, Ashwagandha, L-Theanine.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. Lilah
      Blah

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I read somewhere that drinking Chamomile tea all day helps.

5. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      CBD oil would work wonderfully for my anxiety but unfortunately it spikes tinnitus for me. Finding the right dose and brand is tricky though.

Valerian root is a natural GABA drug, but you would need high doses.

L-Theanine and Taurine work for me in large amounts, they work on GABA.

Lavender pills have calcium channel blockers properties similar to Pregabalin.

Long term use of GABA supplements might be addictive, though; there are no studies.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg. Dose of (Anticholinergic) Drug Promethazine
      • Like Like x 2
    7. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      The worst thing you can do when suffering from anxiety is sitting still. Your body is amping up the fight or flight response and you've got a lot of energy to burn. Going for a walk may not be the end-all answer but it should help short term. Another exercise is to tense a part of your body, or your whole body, for 30 seconds and then release that tension for 30 seconds. It gives the adrenalin something to do.

I'm curious what recommendations there are for anxiety because I'm all in if there are any good ones.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg. Dose of (Anticholinergic) Drug Promethazine
      Anxiety can sometimes be traced to a tight psoas muscle. Below is a snippet from an online post where a guy changed his life by addressing his own psoas muscle. -- I wouldn't be surprised if some people's tinnitus could be positively affected by various similarly simple stretches and exercises.

"I had excruciating insomnia, and slept only a couple hours in early morning, and when I woke, it felt like my body had been through war. During the day, I could not focus on the simplest of tasks.

A few nights ago, I came across this post about the psoas muscle. I did more research, and learned that the psoas muscle is the primary muscular mechanism in the fight/ flight response (receiving orders from the amygdala), as the psoas muscle is what moves the legs to run. I noticed how much tension I carry in the psoas muscle, and that part of my pattern of CFS was tension in the gut, and difficultly breathing, all related to psoas tension.

I looked up some simple yoga stretches for the psoas, and did them before bed. The first night, I slept a full night, and woke reasonably rested. I think it may have been easy for me to begin to correct the psoas tension, because in my past life (before CFS) I was a highly trained athlete."

• Informative Informative x 3
    9. boliston
      No Mood

boliston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30th April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      I normally take a St John's Wort tablet in the morning and a lemon balm tablet about half an hour before bed time

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have been on ADs many years. I haven't tried Lithium. Benzos I finished tapering off from 13½ months ago.

Distraction don't work for me when I am at my worst and my mind is racing 100/mph with suicidal thoughts and other negative shit. I have only a couple of friends and I feel they are beginning to get a bit tired of me, because I can't do much due to hyperacusis on top of tinnitus.
      I can't exercise much when in a high anxiety state (see my response to Daniel Lion).

Haven't tried the tension strategy. I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the tip.
      Interesting! I'll look up on how to do stretches for this muscle, thanks.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    11. lcj

lcj Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      medication
      Not sure if these are strong enough, but you can look into a natural vitamin and herb cream called Adrenacalm-SE that my naturopathic doctor recommended. I’ve found it helpful for sleep. Also progesterone cream could give a similar calming effect if your anxiety is from imbalances of cortisol or adrenaline.

Lastly, if you are willing to experiment check out the new thread on neuropeptides and a suggestion there for a natural alternative to Clonazepam.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I recall that someone on here once posted a long list of natural supplements for potential anxiety relief. It was a fairly long list and I'm not sure if it was posted directly on here or if it was posted on another site and linked to on here. I think it actually might have been the latter. I could really use that list now, but I can't find it.

Anybody know about this? I can't remember who posted it. It might have been @Lane or @Greg Sacramento but I'm not sure.