Neurosoft Bioelectronics: Implantable Electrodes to Treat Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Christiaan, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Athens

Athens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/27/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What is the most commonly held belief about the cause of hyperacusis? Is it damage to the cochlea causing the brain to turn up the volume because it is not getting the same input?

2. Jerad

Jerad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      Yeah, it’s a shame. So the brain essentially tortures itself endlessly because it’s obsessed with “possessing” that lost input. It’s like a dog chasing its tail in endless circles. Crazy how the brain behaves that way.

In my case, it sucks extra hard, as I’m assuming I’ve lost some some hearing or something in the very high frequencies. I have this pulsating zap that feels like electricity shocking me. It’s literally painful and random; happens several times a minute—often aggressively—and is impossible to habituate to, I fear, because of its randomness and the pain aspects of it. It’s so high frequency and is not a sound you’d encounter in day-to-day life commonly, so it’s dumb that the brain is obsessed with holding onto it.

Shame that the brain’s gotta be that way. Why can’t lost hearing equal less hearing? Literally. Which would mean silence. Nah, instead what’s lost is replaced with a smorgasbord of hellish tones.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    3. Gb3

Gb3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sshl
      No idea. I don’t have hyperacusis. I haven’t done any research on it.

4. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      They already have these kinds of implants for chronic pain. They are placed under the skin of the skull and work 100 percent. I have talked with people who have had these implants placed when nothing else worked. I mean pain has enough hard mechanisms when it is centralized and all over the brain e.g., severe migraines.

Why in heaven's name can they not do this for tinnitus already?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Tom_Tom

Tom_Tom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, probably power tools
      Hi Jerad,

I too have the electric shock. I haven't come across anyone else who has it before.

For me, it's like 2 ends of a nerve aren't quite touching correctly and every second some electricity jumps between them and zaps my inner ear causing pain. Sometimes it also causes the muscles around the ear to spasm. Along with it is a noise that can best be described as the sound of an electrical power plant.

I can also 'feel' the noise, as if there is a something psychically happening in my ear that is causing a constant buzzing that can be felt as well as heard.

Once in a while I will get a full body electric shock that goes from my ear, down my neck and into my fingers.

It's awful to say the least. Agree that hearing loss = silence would be heavenly.

Wishing you well & in solidarity.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Tasty
      Sad

Tasty Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Visual Snow Syndrome
      Yes, finally something to look forward to, not like other things e.g., hearing restoration. I mean, for me it would be useless since I don't have hearing loss associated tinnitus. And we don't know if hearing restoration would "reset" neural behaviors that came along with the hearing loss in these individuals.

I think Neurosoft's interventions are very valid and hugely important. If everything works and they can reduce/eliminate tinnitus, this will have a huge impact on society.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      News and updates about this the next 3 years and then nothing. That's all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      The future of medicine is this anyway. The same way they put on the market pills, they will put on the market devices to change electric impulses in the nerves or cells to treat diseases. Meds will be replaced with energetic fields that treat by their power.

Yes, when... Time is the culprit here.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    9. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Dr. Hauptmann was part of the team of doctors in Jülich - ACR neurostimulation. He worked with Prof. Peter Tass closely. I wonder when they will start clinical trials. It’s invasive - I doubt there will be many patients willing to try this.

• Informative Informative x 2