Neurotrophin 3 Regenerates Cochlear Synapses

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by PolishSoldier87, Oct 10, 2018.

1. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Nice. Very happy to "hear".

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I don't mean to be an a-hole, but if astaxanthin worked in any significant way, wouldn't we know about it by now? Don't get me wrong, I've been taking several different things and I just wonder if it is actually worth it. Or am I just making really expensive urine and possibly causing my internal organs harm? Would I be worse off if I hadn't been taking them?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I'm not sure any of these supplements would help everyone universally because cochlear injury is so complex. Personally, Astaxanthin did not help my tinnitus (I think NAD + might have though or time) but it did definitely imo help some of my other hearing distortions a bit enough to make it well worth taking for me.

Reactive oxygen species are large part of what damages the cochlea after injury so antioxidants (if they can penetrate the blood cochlear barrier in sufficient quantities) could definitely help. As could increasing NT-3 (Astaxanthin). There is probably a point in time where the "damage has been done" but I'm guessing it's a pretty long time since Hough's pill, an extremely powerful (none of the supplements are nearly as strong) antioxidant and free radical scavenger, is reportedly working for more chronic cases, too.

I look at it like this: x + y + z= hearing dysfunction after injury. X = inflammation and y = cochlear structural damage and z is other intrinsic factors like neurotransmitter imbalance.

I think we all have all 3 as contributors, esp acutely.

Everyone's "X" is different but I think the people who will see the most benefit will be people who have larger "X" values.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Artazanasss
      Caffeine

Artazanasss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/09
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hidden hearing loss and acoustic trauma
      I don't think it can regenerate hair cells because you need completely different pathways for that, but I do believe it can regenerate synapses and auditory neurons at least in theory and when you look at the science behind it should do that. NT3 is known as regenerative medicine that regenerates synapses and auditory neurons and improves overall auditory system.
      I hit the plateau as well and it's strange since I think if it does indeed regenerate the synapses, plateau shouldn't be hit, and improvement should be gradual and not stopping in time, until most of the synapse damage is fixed. I've not been using it for long now, not even a full month and that 5-10% improvement was already a blessing to me even though it's not enough for me and my hearing is still pretty garbage, but it's definitely one of the positive things that happened in my life in the last few years.

Also using Astaxanthin with Lutein and zeaxanthin had a very positive impact on my eyes. I have less visual snow and fewer floaters after using it for almost a month. Also, the colors and visuals definitely improved so I think it does do something regenerative to the eye as well.
      I think Curcumin working for tinnitus definitely has something to do with its anti-inflammatory effects since inflammation definitely negatively affects tinnitus and increased BDNF, but I don't have any working theories that would explain it in detail. :)

• Like Like x 1
    5. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I have had *exactly* the same experience with Astaxanthin as you. I wonder if the effects we have seen are more due to the antioxidant effects though. Even though Astaxanthin increases NT-3 it doesn't do it substantially. Every little bit probably helps though.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Artazanasss
      Caffeine

Artazanasss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/09
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hidden hearing loss and acoustic trauma
      It's very likely that it is exactly why we see improvement with Astaxanthin. It is the most potent free radical scavenger there is. It's a lot more powerful than other antioxidants on the market. So I think it probably cleans up harmful molecules and restores inner ear hair cells and other auditory functions to a healthier state. At least that is my oversimplified understanding of it.
      Also yeah Astaxanthin only increases NT3 in moderately low doses. That is why I also take Lutein which is another NT3 booster since like you said every little bit helps towards a healthier auditory system.

7. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      I get the same feeling in my ears when I drink homemade ginger tea. But the effect is immediate. Not sure if it helps my hearing symptoms though.

Is there a specific type or form of curcumin people are taking? I have been taking this one from Now Foods for a month and a half and it hasn't really be doing anything for me.

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Suppleme...579287086&sprefix=curcumin+now,aps,144&sr=8-5

8. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      @Artazanasss do you really think you have “fewer floaters” because of supplements? Why?

Floaters are simply loose cells floating around in the eye... could it be that you have either tuned them out or that they have settled in a spot in your eye where you don’t notice them?

I do appreciate the research you both have put into this, and between you and @FGG, I feel like I should add yet another supplement...lol

So what exact products are you both taking? (and kudos if I can get that from Amazon. :)

9. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I started with 12mg from Sports Research (I buy it directly from them because I suspect Amazon Warehouses are not temperature controlled) once every other day taken with food. I moved to every day and it does not seem to have an additional effect.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    10. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      This?

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. GoingGrayy

GoingGrayy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1220hz/1275hz - middle ear pressure/suction
      Dihexa is back in stock at science.bio. Going to give it a try soon. I've used dihexa before back in 2017 but that was a period where I didn't have tinnitus...

• Like Like x 2
    12. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      Should you not ingest concentrated doses of NT3 you aren't likely see much effect unless it's distributed locally through an Intratympanic injection.

13. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      I read on benzobuddies that medication (or stress) can change pressure in the eye or nerves of the eyes, leading to the eye noticing the floaters more. I don't know if there is any truth in this. It's a fact though that floaters can be a withdrawal symptom of benzos and pregabalin and some people claim they go away after a while. I always wondered about it, if they are impurities in the vitreous, what is the drug withdrawal doing, creating new impurities (unlikely) or making the ones that already exist more visible? It would seem the latter if they go away, since short of a vitrectomy nothing should get rid of impurities in the vitreous.

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      I was in a cryochamber yesterday. -200 degrees. While I was in there, I had floaters like crazy. Felt like I was in the middle of a blizzard. I almost asked them to end the session. Instead, I just closed my eyes for the remainder of the time I was in there. When I got out the floaters were gone.

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. El BUZZ
      Buzzed

El BUZZ Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @FGG Silly question for sure after so much advanced knowledge around here:
      Does astaxanthin represent a chance of a decrease in the perception of our tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I think all we have is anecdotes. It didn't decrease my tinnitus but made music sound 10% fuller to me. I suspect antioxidants are most useful the more acute you are in your injury.

NAD+ seemed to lower my tinnitus, though. Keep in mind I used that earlier, though, so it is possible it would have faded anyway. It definitely *seemed* to help though.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Ben S
      Curious

Ben S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      So I am taking Lutein and Astaxanthin now do either of those have NAD+? Or should I be taking something like
      Resveratrol too?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    18. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      NAD+ is Nicotimide Riboside. TruNiagin is the brand I used.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      How's everyone doing with their Astaxanthin now? I've been taking it since the end of February and I want to say I've noticed very minor clarity improvements but it's difficult to say. No effect on my tinnitus.

20. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I had no improvements beyond the initial ones in clarity (which made it worth it to me). I also did not experience any change in tinnitus one way or the other.

21. Nothisispatrick

Nothisispatrick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don’t know
      Is Astaxanthin safe to take? And what brand do you all use?

22. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

I'm taking highest available dose for three months and no change in anything, not even in vision.

• Like Like x 1
    23. humptydumpty69
      Cowabunga

humptydumpty69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      So I find all of this talk of Astaxanthin very intriguing, but I'm curious about it raising estrogen levels? I don't know if I really want to do that, do I?

24. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Are you still supplementing with Astaxanthin, Lutein and Zeaxanthin? What results have you seen?
      Are you supplementing with anything else?

People are talking about the possibility that Astaxanthin can raise estrogen, but I will take that for improved tinnitus, hearing and eyesight. Plus, I like big breasts.

• Funny Funny x 1
    25. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      This is sorely needed. Did you ever try these peptides?

26. lcj

lcj Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      medication
      No, I only tried BPC-157.

• Informative Informative x 1
    27. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi i@lcj -- Could you share what "brand" you got, and where you purchased it? I've been interested in this, but haven't done the "homework" to know which products are legit, and which ones aren't. -- Thanks!

P.S. I'd also be interested in your results, and if you've posted them someplace on the forum...

28. lcj

lcj Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      medication
      Hi Lane, The brands I tried were UK-Peptides, Peptide Sciences, and Limitless Life Nootropics. I would recommend UK-Peptides or Peptide Sciences (UK-Peptides is significantly cheaper). I actually didn’t notice any improvement of my tinnitus during the time that I was taking the peptides, however, it definitely elevated my mood and my energy levels so that I could handle the tinnitus better.

I wouldn’t recommend taking any BPC intranasally if you have any kind of visual snow. SubQ in my opinion is safer than intranasal starting out if you’re worried about side effects. You could even try the oral BPC.

Hope this helps.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    29. Tau
      Probing

Tau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2019-Concert, 2021-headphones/acoustic trauma at 110dB,16kHz
      Reviving an old thread: I've been taking Astaxanthin for a week now, with no perceptible improvement. Music is distorted in exactly the same way as before.

I've also started taking Niagen, will update on my progress.

30. tenforce

tenforce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2021 (HHL, HA, occasional T)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      gunshot (?)
      Any success with Niagen? I'm using Astaxanthin for almost 5 months now, without any improvement in my hidden hearing loss and hyperacusis (not permanent tinnitus yet).