New here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sherri786, Apr 13, 2013.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Thank you lord of the Ring...I guess you're right...sigh.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Thank you Roan ,Karen and Paul ,I'll read up about Adrenal Fatigue. Thank you all for being here, with so few people in real life who really understand what you're going through, it feels very lonely at times.

Y

• Like Like x 1
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Sherri,

Are you continuing to do better? How are you doing now?

Also, I should point out that I am hypothyroid. There is a connection between thyroid and adrenals, which could have set off my tinnitus. Do you still have the fatigue?

4. Roan
      Fine

Roan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I think alcohol exacerbates my tinnitus. Sometimes I have a glass of wine at night, and the next morning my noise is worse.

Although I didn't have any alcohol last night, and today it is SOOOOO LOUD!!!! Ugh!!!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi Karen, thank you so much for asking. I was so much better after a month of gingko biloba,b12,zinc, etc. but unfortunately I have to travel a lot and flying makes it worse , last time it took me 2 weeks to get back to normal, then I flew again and that too on small 8 or 10 seater planes, I used ear plugs, still I got very worse :( v depressed once again.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Sorry to hear that Roan, hope it gets better soon. Last night I just couldn't fall asleep, it was so annoying, cried all night. Trying to be brave, but not sure what's going to happen.....

7. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sherri and Roan,

Sorry to hear that both of you are having problems. Tinnitus is so unpredictable, it's hard to tell sometimes what helps and what doesn't. Alcohol doesn't make mine worse, but I've had balance issues, so I prefer not to drink at all these days, except for maybe a glass of wine for special occasions.

Sherri --- I agree with you on the supplements you're taking. Those are all good ones, that, in time, will really help.

Sleep can also be a very real problem; I used to hate going to bed, because it was so hard to get to sleep. I don't exactly know what happened, but I am now sleeping again.

All I can tell you is that, if you can distract yourself with sounds (sounds of water work well for me), and/or with mental activities before bed, it seems to help. And, as most of us who've had tinnitus for awhile will tell you, it really does get better with time. (Hard to believe right now, I know, but true!)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Thank you so much Karen, so kind of you to write this, makes me feel better and gives me hope, yes I do keep some white noise on at night and sometimes use the water sound from you tube videos. Today all day was not too bad, but suddenly it's loud now, just before bedtime, feeling sad once again. Thank you all for being here, feel lonely as family and friends really don't understand the pain I'm going through. Does sugar make it loud ! I did have one small piece of some sugary sweet after supper. Thank you xx

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Yes of course sugar makes it worse, read online.

10. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @Sherri,

Yes, for some people, sugar can make it louder -- temporarily. In the earlier days of tinnitus, it's probably a good idea to watch your diet, and see what foods set off your tinnitus. Later on, you may find it doesn't matter so much what you eat. That's how it has been for me, at least.

Do you have a particular time of day when it gets worse? I've found that mine is worst in the late afternoon/early evening. It tapers off somewhat in the late evening. It is at its quietest for me in the morning. If you can figure out a pattern, you can learn to kind of work around it. Take care!

11. Roan
      Fine

Roan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sherri and Karen,

Sugar and diet DEFINITELY set mine off, although I have wondered if that isn't a bit either blood sugar related (adrenals) or blood pressure related. I have had my blood pressure checked on multiple occasions and my sugars, and I do not have high blood pressure and I do not have diabetes. But, still, I notice that too many sweets or even too much bread, baked potatoes, etc. can make mine seemingly worse.

Mine this morning was quieter than usual, and I cannot detect any real pattern to my tinnitus. It is at its absolute worst, however, in the mornings, when it is bad. Other mornings when it is not bad, I barely notice it. I love noises, like the air conditioner, that drown it out. But, I find that other noises irritate it. For example, my fiancé had an action movie up real loud in the man cave the other day. I decided to join him. Could hardly stand the pangy, twangy sounds. They really irritated me. I had to leave the room. Sometimes a toilet flushing can irritate my ears on days when my Tinnitus is bad.

Hang in there, guys! Sherri, we will figure this thing out. If not how to cure it, then how to handle it, for sure!

12. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @Roan,

Yes, I think there might be a connection between blood sugar and tinnitus levels. Did I mention that, when my tinnitus got really bad 3 years ago, I was diagnosed with adrenal fatigue? That kind of went along with it, I think. I was really careful about my diet after that, and am just now expanding on what I'll allow myself to eat. When the adrenal fatigue first started, I took herbal remedies that really helped. My naturopathic doctor suggested Adrenavive, which contains Siberian ginseng, etc. That really helped me a lot!

Interesting that yours is worse in the morning. Many of the people on TT have said theirs is worse in the morning. I think mine is definitely related to adrenals, because it's in the late afternoon that my cortisol level is low. As my adrenals have improved, my tinnitus has settled down, as well.

Yep, the sound of the T.V. is a problem for me, too. Don't know what it is about the level of the sound, but I find it hard to watch T.V. for more than about 1/2 hour at a time. Needless to say, I don't watch T.V. much any more!

I wish you and Sherri the very best, and know you will both find a way to cope with it. Take care!

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Thank you so much Karen , Roan. It's always great to hear from you both xox. Yes mine is always worse in the morning when I wake up then gradually it gets better, but these days I'm seeing a different pattern it's same all day long since I travelled and am in Montreal for a month, being not at my own place and own routine plus the noisy planes have made it worse. Before after a very long walk in the evenings it would get much better, I've been too tired to walk last 3 days, will start walking soon and see if anything changes. I've been reading up about adrenal fatigue. I know when the T started that week ad been very stressful and tiring for me and I had taken too many aspirins. My bp has never been high. Thank you for suggesting Adrenavive or Siberian Ginseng will start taking it immediately. I don't know about tv I never watch it anymore all spare time is spent researching the darn T :( thank you so much for your kind encouraging words this forum is keeping me alive. Will keep you updated, this Tuesday I'm going for Acupuncture and see a naturopath , she's Chinese, a friend suggested I go to a Chinese Acupuncturist. I had 5 sessions of acupuncture two weeks back too, no change other than that it relaxed me so much as long as the session lasted. Thank you so much , Karen, Roan xox just want my life back :( take care xx

14. Roan
      Fine

Roan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Lord -

Love the title. Belgium? Tinnitus is in Belgium, too?!?! Is there no rest for the weary!??! LOL

Know any French or German? OOOH.... or Dutch?!? (I may be showing my ignorance. Perhaps Dutch is not a dialect of Belgium. If so, please forgive.....)

15. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @Sherry,

I wish you success with the Chinese acupuncturist and naturopath. I've had acupuncture, too, and it is very relaxing. For me, it didn't help my tinnitus, but my acupuncturist was not Chinese. Maybe yours will be able to suggest some herbs along with the treatments that may help you.

I can imagine that travel could take its toll when you have tinnitus! I haven't traveled very much since mine began; the noise from the planes and the stress could make it worse temporarily. Hope you have a chance to start walking again; that really helps me, to get outside and away from the noise for awhile! Take care, and thanks for the kind words!

16. Olivia

Olivia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/23/2013
      Hi there.
      I must say I am so relieved to know there is actually a name for what I'm going through. I have only been experiencing PT for a week now. That is enough for me. I have seen my GP who referred me to a hearing clinic where I was tested today. My hearing is perfect and there is no problem with pressure in my ears. I then went to the walk-in clinic for a different opinion. He checked my ears, listened with a stethoscope and heard nothing. He basically told me it was something I would have to "learn to live with". I wasn't about to settle for that answer. I told him what I thought I was going through which was PT. After reading so many peoples stories, it feels like I'm reading about my own experiences. I have another appointment with my GP in 4 days. I don't know how to make it much clearer to her about what I'm going through. I would love to be able to get in to get some more tests done to look at my arteries. I cant handle my whoosing sounds much longer. I don't want to learn to live with this. I want my silence back and be able to sleep normally! HELP

17. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Olivia, and welcome!

I have PT, too, and there are several other people on this forum who have it, as well. We're all searching for answers, and, as you may know, there are various causes for pulsatile tinnitus.

Here are my suggestions, from my own experience to date:

1) If your general practitioner is not able to help you, you might try going to either an ENT or a more specialized doctor, such as a neurologist or, if you have one in your area, a neurotologist. Neurotologists are specialized in otology as well as neurology, and may have a better understanding of your condition.

2) If the PT does not go away soon, you might suggest to your doctor (ENT, otologist, or neurotologist) that you have some tests done to rule out any specific problems, such as aneurisms, fistulas, etc. They can send you for tests such as a CT scan or an MRI, to test for these things.

3) If you haven't already, check out the website Whooshers.com. This website is a great source of information for pulsatile tinnitus sufferers, with a definition of what pulsatile tinnitus is, possible causes, and success stories of cured "whooshers". Also, from the website, you can join a closed group of PT sufferers on Facebook, and share information and stories with them.

You are going to be all right. Believe me, I know how annoying it is and how hard it is to sleep with the pulsating going on. The main thing I read over and over again on the Whooshers.com site is to "never give up". Pulsatile tinnitus is not the same as ringing tinnitus, and there may be a very different cause. If one doctor cannot help you, keep trying until you find one who can. Many doctors do not know much about our condition, so they can only tell us to "live with it". Keep trying until find that one doctor who can help!

In the meantime, it's important to stay calm and try to get some sleep. I've been using background sounds to help me sleep (water sounds work well), and, for me at least, taking magnesium just before bed really helps.

Stay strong, and please update us after you've seen your GP!

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi Olivia sorry to hear about your PT, Karen wrote an excellent reply. Wanted to let you girls know my Acupuncurist had a cancellation and called me in this evening, as usual it did relax me a lot, but ofcourse I need to go few more times....which I cant as the place is far from my daughter's place just the cab cost me $40.00 and the first consultation and Acupuncture was $75.00
      She gave me a traditional Chinese medicine called ' An Shen Bu Xin Wan''to nourish the heart and calm the nerves and for better sleep I guess.she said I probably have a deficiency of Yin Blood :( whatever that means.the medicine has 12 different herbs. Karen I hope you are right and the damage due to the plane noise is temporary, sometimes I start feeling very suicidal, but I have to live for my kids even though they're all adults. Thank you so much Karen , for being here, you're an angel, greatly appreciate your presence xx

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hope you all are feeling better and have a good nights sleep and a good day. Stay strong everyone, and lets beat this horrible thing.

20. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sherry,
      That's great about the acupuncturist. It's too bad you can't go more often, but maybe the herbs will help. They sound calming, anyway! I don't know for sure that the increased tinnitus from the plane noise is temporary, but I've asked that question of other people about flying and tinnitus, and whether it made things worse. Those I talked to said it didn't do any permanent damage.

You sound like you're around my age. I have two grown daughters, and I, too, feel I must get well for them, and for my little grandson ( 1 1/2 years old!).

Take care, XX
      Karen

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013

22. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @Sherry,
      I'm glad you were able to get some sleep. Sounds like those pills are working for you!

I looked up An Shen Bu Xin Wan, and it appears that this herbal blend is a remedy for insomnia, palpitations, anxiety, and ringing in the ears. Other uses are depression, dizziness, and deafness. It is used to "strengthen the relationship between the heart and the kidneys". It's probably a good idea to take it just as you are doing, by taking only 4 per day to see how it affects you. Take it slowly, and make sure you don't have any sort of allergic or other reaction to it.

It sounds like you are a very busy lady, so anything calming would probably be a good thing. I'm glad you are feeling better; that's good news!

I'm doing pretty well today. I have good days and bad days, and just try to stay positive through the bad ones! My tinnitus seems to be generally quieter these days; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it lasts, and that maybe I'm finally habituating to it, after 3 years of ups and downs. Take care and stay in touch!

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi Karen thank you so much. Yes I am sleeping better thankfully, but ummm the crickets are back :( I did walk a lot today ,usually after walks the T used to get better by bedtime, but no difference yet, maybe by morning, hopefully. So the one good day I had with the hissing instead of the crickets may have been due to the Acupuncture, so this Tuesday I'll go again. Omg three years, Karen, sigh....but you did say it gets better....or one just habituates. Good to hear that yours is quieter , will send healing thoughts for you xx.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Roan
      Fine

Roan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Okay. So, this weekend I ordered Super Green Food powder, Coconut Milk, Uddo's Essential Fatty Acids, Organic and Unflavored Goat's Milk Whey protein, and Stabilized Rice Bran Powder. These are going into my super shakes each morning in an effort to give my body a shot of nutrients each morning and repair the adrenal glands.

I'll keep you posted.

25. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Roan,
      Hi! I'll be interested to see how these natural supplements work for you, for adrenal repair. Do you have reason to suspect that you have adrenal fatigue? I hope these help you to feel better; I know how devastating adrenal fatigue can be, and with tinnitus along with it --- well, it's not a walk in the park! Take care, and keep us posted.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Thank you for the update, Roan, hope the supplements work for you pls do keep us posted, thank you. Yesterday I decided to go back to what I had been taking in the beginning when I had gotten T and it had helped me so much....B12, 1000 mcg,gingko biloba 180 mg,zinc chelate 25 mg twice.and at bedtime magnesium 125 mg and 4 pills of An Shen Bu Xin Wan. The crickets have gone and the hissing is back which is not too horrible, plus I've been walking 2 hrs every evening. Thank you Roan and Karen.

27. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sherri786,
      That's great! I'm glad you've found some things that work for you. You're taking a lot of the same things I'm taking.
      I take B-12, zinc, D-3, fish oil, moringa oliefera, spirulina, magnesium, plus a natural sleep aid that contains melatonin and valerian, plus vitamin D-6, etc. I walk every evening, too, but after work, the most I can manage is 45 minutes to 1 hour of walking!

So, are you now taking the full dose of the An Shen Bu Xin Wan? Any side effects?

Glad you're doing better!!

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Thank you Karen, for the update. I've noted down your supplements, thinking of adding these to the one million i already have :( no not taking the full dose of An Shen, just the 4 pills. Today am bit sad again , the crickets are back, I don't know what happened, except that I walked 1 hour and not 2. I do feel I'm better the day after the Acupuncture, but still confused, wasn't the walk or the Acu that made the T better the other day ? Got a book on Reflexology, will try that too. Karen , Roan my email is shireenhh1@gmail.com just in case we ever lose contact here. Roan, Karen, have you ever gone on a Gluten free diet ? Was reading online that it helped some people. Take care and thank you !

29. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sherri786,

Hi, again. I'm glad you're not taking the full dose of the An Shen; that sounds like a good plan, since you're taking a number of other supplements. I've actually cut back on the supplements I have been taking; it was just too many to keep up with. I'm trying to narrow it down to the ones that I think have really helped me.

Tinnitus is really unpredictable. One day, it looks like things are getting better, then it gets worse again the next day. Just keep trying things to find out what works best for you; and the tinnitus will get somewhat better on its own, too, after a time. It varies with the individual.

No, I haven't really tried a gluten-free diet. For awhile, I was on a low-salt diet. It didn't help my tinnitus very much, but it did help health-wise. @Roan, have you ever been on a gluten-free diet? If so, did it work for you?

Take care; I know you are both strong women, and it will get better with time!

30. Roan
      Fine

Roan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @Sherri786, @Karen

My Email is: grayenterprise@hotmail.com

Hi ladies!! I have never tried a gluten-free diet; however, I have always had fairly severe hypoglycemia, and so I typically stay away from gluten-containing products. It never mattered much to my body whether it was a brown noodle, or a brown rice, or a 100% whole wheat bread......it all turns into psycho-sugar in my body and makes me sick as a dog! Shaky, hungry, nauseous. Eating brown rice for my body is no different than eating a cake as far as sugar and chemical reaction. Since I've never been able to enjoy those foods, I have never eaten them. I just do a carb in a black bean, things like that. I would think that, in the view of adrenal fatigue - which is something we all probably suffer from to one degree or another - getting rid of gluten-causing foods for the mere fact that they are also sugar-imbalancing foods making the adrenals work on overload, would be good all the way around.

I like the idea of the B-12 vitamin, Karen, because I have read on the internet that there is a definite, plausible link to tinnitus and a B-12 deficiency! I have also read, though, that with age the B-12 vitamin does not break down in the body, and so if we are over a certain age we should take sublingual B-12. Once we pass that age, we should take liquid B-12 or B-12 injections.

I have all symptoms of adrenal fatigue. I went to my doctor thinking something was terribly wrong with me. He ran a zillion tests. Nothing wrong, except that I do have an ulcer. Bacterial, which they treated me for. I then stumbled upon adrenal fatigue, and its symptoms. I have not been tested, but I believe adrenal fatigue is at the root of my problem, and that all the other things I have been experiencing are symptoms of adrenal fatigue.

Sherri, my fiancé studied reflexology for a while, and he swears by it! I think you'll enjoy learning about it and, who knows?!? It might just help!

Wouldn't it be something, ladies, if one of us found a cure? How cool would THAT be?!?!