New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      The author of the article is incorrect. Each of the 20 participants went through both an active treatment and a sham treatment. On average the effect of the sham treatment was statistically insignificant though 4 individuals had clinically significant reductions in TFI during the sham phase (see figure 6 in the paper for the average effects).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    3. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Very stylish evasion. Almost as good as a good politician :)
      Ah... tinnitus, tinnitus...

Personally i am not very enthusiastic about sound-therapy approaches. Regeneration and gene therapies sound more promising, but it's good that there's some fuss in tinnitown. The bad thing with tinnitus is that there's so much heterogeneity among the patients. On the one hand i really hope that this treatment can reduce the volume of many patients and i believe that possibly it will (to some extent). On the other hand i am afraid that it won't work in cases like mine (with no somatosensory symptoms). I really wouldn't like in the above scenario to experience another TRT-like war, where the media will tend to announce with their unique misinforming way that, the tinnitus "cure" have been found, whilst that will not be the case. Don't get me wrong. I remain hopeful and DEFENITELY i would try this treatment. If this lady succeeds in turning the volume down a bit for many people here, it's much better then nothing. Fingers crossed!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I do wonder what Dr Shore's opinion would have been though, even perhaps a more specific question in regards to the word "cure". But yes, she well and truly swerved that question.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      The email is working now.

• Like Like x 1
    6. SomaticT

SomaticT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck injury playing sports
      After waiting since 1994 for some hope that something could halt the progression of this horrible screeching in my left ear (modulated by pushing on various points on my head, face and neck, most especially pushing down at C1), “promising” is earth-shattering! I’ll take any noticeable decrease in ringing and happily and joyfully apply the device 30 mins/day. Heck, I’ll do 3 hrs/day or just wear the damn thing everyday all day if they make it portable. And I’ll keep wearing it as long as I get a benefit. My god, a non-intrusive non-narcotic therapy!! This is the best news I’ve heard in 23 years. Let’s hope they get the device on the market SOON. Hallelujah! Sign me up! Hope it’s sold on amazon soon!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. SomaticT

SomaticT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think AZeurotuner raises an excellent point - how can you tell a patient who is being helped by this device that they have to give it back because the trial is over? Harsh. I hope they get this approved and on sale ASAP!!!! Is there a gofundme page for this research???

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      the how was saying "I am really sorry, but there are a limited number of these and we need them to continue the study, and we also are not clear on if FDA compassionate use guidelines would be applicable here even if we had extra devices, which we don't."

They were very up front about this at the beginning of the study, when I made it clear that I was willing to incur significant travel costs to be part of the study. It wasn't a bait and switch.

So yeah, it's a bummer; on the other hand, if it works as well as it seems to, they'll know more before they hit market and maybe have something 3-5 years down the line that works even better. If I was really impatient I would just tinker around with building my own device, because I understand the challenges there and it doesn't seem scary. But, for the moment I have too many projects as is, so I'm happy to just let them keep moving forward and see where it all goes.

There must be a lot of people out there who have conditions even more disabling than tinnitus who have been temporarily helped by drugs or other experimental interventions, and then had to go back to just dealing with it after the trial was over. It's all a drag, but that's just how it works, and the alternatives seem worse to me. Making it easier for untested or potentially dangerous treatments to become widely available is hazardous; drug companies especially have a pretty clear disdain for their end-users and a strong interest in making money consequences be damned.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      The researchers also only used volunteers with a particular form of tinnitus. These sufferers are able to soften their episodes by applying pressure to their head or clenching their jaw—a rudimentary version of keeping their fusiform cells in check, it’s thought. That could mean the device won’t work for the 20 percent to 40 percent of tinnitus sufferers without that particular quirk.

This, of course, upsets.

Did someone contact them? Why only this kind of tinnitus is rudimentary? Patients with other forms of tinnitus they did not even try to use in the study?

It seems to me that the majority here is not a rudimentary form. Also what, for this tinnitus other sites answer, and it is necessary to develop other device? Unclear.

10. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I also have a burning question.

The only way I can change my frequency or volume of tinnitus is if it I put pressure on my ear and then the volume intensifies and frequency goes a little higher, is this somatic tinnitus?

No way of changing it through jaw or neck movements, is there a particular type of cause that will give you 'somatic' tinnitus?

Also, I'm I right in assuming that not all somatic tinnitus can be modulated through neck and head movements/jaw movements but it can be modified temporarily in a way we are not even aware of? Know what I mean? Like we have somatic tinnitus and we don't even know that we do?

11. Stakovic

Stakovic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Why they didn't use EEG (otherwise known as an electroencephalogram) To compare the T severity befor and after the treatement.

12. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Does the device work for patients who can soften their Tinnitus by special movements or touches only or also for those where by movement the Tinnitus increases in volume?
      This isn't clear for me..

13. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Congratulations on taking the time and volunteering. Imagine in a few years, if this thing works out, you helped the researchers to bring this treatment into the world.

I imagine it is frustrating not to have access to the equipment anymore, but for the best or worse, this is how science works.

Best,
      Zug

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 3
    14. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Didn't see that anybody posted this film from 2010 where she explains some basics of their findings and ideas.

Susan E. Shore - Saturday Morning Physics -...

• Informative Informative x 2
    15. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I understand that they work only with rudimentary tinnitus. And rudimentary tinnitus is tinnitus not associated with damage to the inner ear? Is it vascular and other tinnitus? Then, I think most of us will not use this device. Why it is impossible to do a similar study of the "non-conventional" classical tinnitus, and make an apparatus for this species. Is it harder ?! I have no pressure on the temporal bones, etc., do not affect the tinnitus .. And I first hear about this division (classification) of tinnitus.

16. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      where did you get that idea? That's not correct; this work is entirely based on hearing damage as a tinnitus cause. In the animal models they induced unilateral tinnitus by blasting animal's ears with broadband noise. (Of course this doesn't cause tinnitus in all the animals, but there are convincing behavioral tinnitus correlates in animals which have been developed over the decades leading to this research).

• Like Like x 1
    17. Thomt

Thomt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/98
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise? unknown.
      This is 6 years old now. Is there anything new about it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is way different than all of you , ask me how
      The idea is 6 years old, they have developed the device now and testing it. Hope to see it in the market soon.

From all of the tinnitus research news this is the only news that made it to the mainstream media, this is pretty hopeful.

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. Tom Soria

Tom Soria Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Did they mention whether this would help people who have pulsatile tinnitus and hyperacusis?

20. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It's not designed for pulsatile tinnitus or hypercausis sorry. you could always email and ask them but I think you would get a similar answer. Hope I'm wrong though and it benefits you.

21. Joe Bananas
      No Mood

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Perhaps this has been questioned before but what if someone using the device in a daily basis is exposed to a new acoustic trauma which increases the volume of T? I mean, maybe this therapy leads to certain peace of mind in which one is not as cautious anymore and doesn't protect him/herself from noises in the way someone with constant T does.
      Also here in Spain there is a big hearing aids seller which has a TRT protocol and sells all its stuff at ridiculously abusive high prices. I can perfectly see them either way selling the device at a prohibitive price tag or having the device themselves in their consults to make the patients go there to receive the therapy again at a grotesque cost.

22. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      What amazes me is that it does not work for all people with tinnitus .. What does this have to do with? Are there different mechanisms that require different approaches, even if the only reason is hearing loss? Do everyone here have a so-called "rudimentary" tinnitus, in which, squeezing the jaw gives an increase in tinnitus? My hypothesis is one - rudimentary tinnitus in those with an organ affected by corti. Neradventural (tinnitus does not change when pressing on the forehead, jaw clenching) - are those who have damaged the 8th cranial (auditory) nerve? This is true?

23. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      1. The proper name for this is "somatic" tinnitus, not "rudimentary" :)

2. According to research, 60-80% of all tinnitus sufferers have this somatic subtype. So most, but definitely not all people.

• Informative Informative x 1
    24. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      That is, somatic tinnitus have everything from whom it is associated with this or that hearing loss (the same 60-80%). The remaining 20-40% is psychosomatic, vascular noise and so on?

25. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      I registered for the trial and received a note stating that it is expected to begin in "early fall". Since it is university-driven I suppose they will be executing it during the fall semester (September/October/November).

Still hoping that my tinnitus resolves itself naturally by then but if not, and if I actually get into the trial, it will certainly be an interesting experience I think!

• Like Like x 3
    26. Joeymeatballs
      Curious

Joeymeatballs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I was also having trouble figuring this out, but after reading a peer reviewed paper last night on somatic tinnitus im 95% sure that increase in loudness is also somatic. I know one of the news articles I read said somatic only lowers it, but I am almost positive that was a mistake by the journalist.

27. tinniwalker

tinniwalker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, HF hearing loss
      In this video -
      Susan E. Shore - Saturday Morning Physics -...

starting at 26:00 Susan Shore talks about the modulation of tinnitus with clenching the jaw and gives an example of a person who is able change the pitch (not volume) of his tinnitus with moving the jaw forward and back. So, the ability of modulation (changing the tone and/or volume) of the tinnitus is important, not the softening of it.

28. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Does this means that it won’t be helpful to those with “brain” tinnitus that can’t be influenced by body movements?

Is tinnitus considered somatic if it temporarily reduces when doing that finger tapping technique on the back of the head?

29. SomaticT

SomaticT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is taking a looong time. It’s just a silly device that emits a tone and delivers an electric shock. This is what happens when academics don’t partner with a commercial entity. Dr Shore needs investors and a commercial partner! Start your little company and license your IP to somebody that can run with this!

The first clinical trial started recruiting years ago and only had 20 subjects over 16 weeks. Please get a commercial partner that knows how to do this! Not just you and a bioengineering grad student. Talk about great idea and small potatoes? Why isn’t anybody interested in developing this with 50 million potential customers???

Sorry to ramble, folks, but it’s frustrating to watch while an academic struggles to get a potential therapeutic device to patients that are suffering. Get the ego out of the way, find a CEO that has a track record of success, and stop trying to do everything, you’ll make plenty of money if you hurry.

• Agree Agree x 5
    30. Localboy

Localboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss from concerts, hunting, tools, and accident
      They will make plenty of money even if they don't hurry...

• Agree Agree x 1