New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Well, that's the best news I heard all day.

• Agree Agree x 3
    2. SomaticT

SomaticT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck injury playing sports
      They have filed a patent application with priority (first filing) in March 2013, which is published as WO 2014/145914. They appear to have entered national phase only in US, Canada and EU (short sighted, I’ll say it again: she needs a commercial partner!). She has two US patents but no patents yet in CA and EU, and definitely no protection in rest of world.

And she can get out version 1 then protect improvements with additional patent filings and then market improved versions. She doesn’t have to wait until it’s “perfect.” Science will advance, she can lead the way and must continue to improve or the better mouse trap next-generation device will eat away her market.

Eventually, she can sell an iPhone app and still make millions!!! No manufacturing costs. Can an iPhone deliver a pulsed electric shock? Hmmmm
      I’ll bet someone in China is making this device as I type. No patent protection there.
      There is usually a small window to make money before somebody beats you to market with your own invention, or a close version which is not covered by your patent (a design around). She’s got to get this on the market ASAP, you can’t rely on patents , she deserves this after decades of research.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Localboy

Localboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss from concerts, hunting, tools, and accident
      Funny you lecturing her here... and who are you? A nobody, keyboard warrior...

I bet my ass Susan Shore has affiliated herself with people who know what to do. She has access to a whole university and commercial partners

How little you think of her abilities is laughable.

• Like Like x 2
    4. SomaticT

SomaticT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck injury playing sports
      I hope you are right. And I am praying very very hard that this good woman who has labored for so long to help us, reaps the fruits of her hard labor. Let us pray that I am completely wrong and just jaded by a long life of seeing these things go down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I asked the University of Michigan by e-mail. I did not receive a specific answer to my questions. They answered me, apparently, in the format of an answering machine - they indulged in interest for the development and said that they would inform me about the opportunity to take part in the tests (although I live in Russia).

Nevertheless, there are a number of fundamental questions, the answers to which are necessary (or, at least, your thoughts):

1) The device does not help everyone. Only somatic tinnitus. I understand it's tinnitus because of the organic degenerative changes in the inner ear. This is true?

2) The device is close to the second stage of testing. If everything is going well (which we very much hope for), then we need to think about the passage of bureaucratic delays and legal moments (FDA, etc.). I'm not very strong on these issues, who can assume how long it will take? Are these years?

3) After It is necessary to organize a mass production of these devices. Since the apparatus must be individual, it is necessary for each specific patient with tinnitus, then the number of them must be in the long term great. We need a commercial partner. Am I right?

4) The issues of treatment of hearing loss and tinnitus today are financed by the residual principle. This, for some reason, is of little interest. Therefore, it is still unclear and problematic to find a commercial partner, and, moreover, to ensure sales in Europe and Russia. I'm right?

And in general, of course, the attitude to today is to hearing loss and tinnitus insulting. Elon Musk is going to colonize Mars, scientists transplant their heads, and sensory vital hearing problems are pushed to the backyard of science. This is unfair.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Worker

Worker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lots going on at the time
      Is there only one person who has taken part in this trial please?

I am interested in others somatic tinnitus.

This is a description of my tinnitus.
      It sounds like cymbals and at the best wind
      I describe it like someone plucking a guitar string in the back of my throat and it resonates to my teeth!

It synchronises with my heart beat
      I can feel it at the back of my throat like someone tapping gently and I can feel it at the nape of my neck like someone unravelling a hosepipe when I sit down or move!
      I can sometimes feel it in my teeth
      It resonates to my left but I can change to my right by twisting my head to the right
      If I press on my head it changes tone
      If I press on the left of my head it goes quieter
      If I twist my head to the left I can stop it
      If I tuck my chin to my chest I can stop it
      If I bend my head and look up to the sky it becomes very load
      If I clench my left teeth it goes quieter
      If I eat whilst trying to sit down it goes everywhere
      If I stand straight it is quieter
      It is 24/7
      It fluctuates in volume through the day. But very loud most of the time.
      I have had many CT and MRI scans with and without contrast. With the best eyes looking at them. Nothing found.
      I have normal hearing
      I also developed many other noises to! Some zoom in and are very loud. Others are 24/7. But they can be downed out unlike this somatosensory tinnitus. I hear it above everything and cannot be drowned out.

It is horrendous. I live in the UK.

7. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      Are you sure that this is not pulsatile tinnitus? A relationship to your heartbeat is usually a sure sign of this. I doubt that this MSU device will be helpful to you if that is the case, it seems to be squarely aimed at subjective tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      @Aaron123 @Asian @Stakovic @SteveO Tell me, why in the video at the very beginning again only talk about noise-induced hearing loss and ringing in the ears? This device is potentially only designed for such cases? I have not found information about ototoxicity anywhere. And up to now, in ignorance, ototoxicity and noise-induced tinnitus are similar in mechanism of defeat. By the way, this device declares a new model of tinnitus ?! The theory of Professor Yastrebov is exposed to obsolescence.
      New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

9. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Keyoard warriors are the bravest and best fighters hands down

Anyway, everybody is entitled to his or her opinion so cool your jets.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Am I the only one who has this message at the bottom of the screen?

rx58DFU.png

Cause I think I'm not and you all are ruining the whole thread with bullsh*t. So, please, cease it and STAY ON TOPIC.

• Agree Agree x 11
    11. Afeef
      Cowboy

Afeef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      • Like Like x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I just noticed that if I clench my jaw/teeth really strong, then my tinnitus changes and becomes somewhat louder.

Does that mean I have a somatic element to my tinnitus after all??

13. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
    14. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did it only to test if my tinnitus had a somatic element to it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @TheDanishGirl Many with tinnitus from other causes such as noise exposure can see an increase in tinnitus while they clench their jaw/teeth hard. I wouldn't worry at all about that. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You don't understand. I am not worrying about it at all, I want to know if it means my tinnitus is somatic after all, because that would mean that this device can help me (maybe).

• Like Like x 1
    17. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe so... I've read reports from others who have this type of somatic tinnitus. Any sort of movements that you can do with your jaw or head or neck that influence the tinnitus sound indicates that you have a somatic component to your tinnitus (whether the sound gets louder, quieter, or simply different).

Mine is the opposite... I can't change it by clenching my jaw, but I can change it by opening my jaw/mouth really wide.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This link provides how the University of Michigan study will be helpful to so many with tinnitus. Included is TMJ.
      http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/articles/somatic-tinnitus-8696.html

@TheDanishGirl

As for making tinnitus worse with hard jaw and teeth clenching without TMJ components, it could just be a muscle in the ear (tensor tympani) that contracts which makes your ear drum tighten up and allows less sound to pass thru. So when someone with tinnitus bites hard without TMJ, there's less sound to mask tinnitus.

You still might be able to be included in the University of Michigan's treatment because you can modulate your jaw. A few days ago, I said to you that I think that you can find something to modulate. That 70 -80% of those with tinnitus have some somatic/physical elements.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    19. SCORPION

SCORPION Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Usmc shooting weapons
      I'm on the list.

• Like Like x 6
    20. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      God I sure hope so. How long ago does the team think that is?

21. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
    22. WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is way different than all of you , ask me how
      The reply I got from them today

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      My questions are:

First, I hope this would work for me and my otoxic tinnitus. I can manipulate my T with facial movements and pressure on my hands, but it doesnt seem to go up or down in volume.

Second, I wonder if eventually this device can be perfected to eliminate tinnitus completely? If it is confirmed to be able to reduce neuronal overactivity, maybe eventually it could eliminate it (even if you had to continue treatments).

Third, I was pretty depressed when I read that the noted dB reduction was only 12. I have no idea how loud my tinnitus is, but that doesn't seem like much. On bad days my Tinnitus>shower noises. Anyone on this board that reads this that has severe tinnitus, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Thanks for any replies.

24. h-m-1994
      Confused

h-m-1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 3rd, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TTTS + Stress
      It would be nice, though of course they would have to do more and more research. I accidentally took Ibuprofen a few days ago, hope it settles down, haven't taken it since then, really hope I've not screwed up my chances of recovery. Taking some NAC and Zinc to help.

25. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't see a reason why it wouldn't.

The study had a limited time, so they published the results for that time frame. I don't recall anything about reduction having plateau'ed after a while, so there is a chance that further improvements could have gotten with more time.

I'll take 12 dB any time. Maybe with continuous use this figure can be improved, if I understand the mechanism of action correctly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      How can you tell exactly how loud your tinnitus is?

27. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You do a volume match with the help of an audiologist (they have calibrated equipment).

• Like Like x 1
    28. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Oh I was kind of hoping that you can do one at home. I'll just assume I'm around ~30db or something.

29. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You could get an approximate reading if you have a decibel reader... Just find a sound to play that is sort of like your tinnitus and set the volume so it is about the same, and then measure that with the reader. (There are smartphone decibel reader apps that use your phone mic, but I do not know how accurate they actually are.)

• Like Like x 1
    30. WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is way different than all of you , ask me how
      I seriously think that the device will work for treating somatic tinnitus, I do not care that whether it should completely cure my tinnitus or not.

I would be happy to use it for 30 minutes or more each day of my life, my tinnitus is very severe, it's very very severe in the morning, the high pitch is too much, but for some reason it's not bothering me much now as my tinnitus tends to go from 10 in the morning to 1 or 2 for the next whole day, it's been like this for some years.

Maybe it's the habituation or something, I indeed was depressed before but not any more, the electrical shock system in the device seems like the best bet, I always thought that tinnitus will be fixed by some device, not by some medicines, it would be just like glasses for the ears.

• Funny Funny x 1