New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Does anyone know if Dr. Shore has tinnitus herself? I remember some speculations and claims that she indeed does have it, but I can’t recall her being vocal nor explicit about that. Not that it matters much when it comes to her treatment, but still this would mean she may have personal interest in making it work.

2. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      • Like Like x 2
    3. Tomas80

Tomas80 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow. Maybe stress?
      Prof. Thanos Tzounopoulos admitted that he has tinnitus in one interview. But I have no knowledge of whether Dr. Shore has tinnitus.

4. SRB

SRB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or inflammation
      Dr. Shore has tinnitus. She told me that in an email. Her tinnitus is in the head.

• Informative Informative x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      Why doesn't she just use the device on herself?

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      Maybe she has (?)
      Maybe hers isn't somatic (?)
      Maybe it's mild and she's fully habituated (?)

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
    7. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      It works for non-somatic tinnitus too, on the order of 3-5 dB reduction, which is the difference between standing 10-feet from a noise source and 20-feet from a noise source, so not a trivial reduction.

As someone with both somatic and non-somatic tinnitus, I'm not convinced of the heterogeneity of this condition at all. It's too improbable that I'd have both.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. DeanD

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      Well that has cheered me up a little as I kept reading again and again on here that it doesn't work for non-somatic tinnitus. If it does something for it, it's a start.

9. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I agree, I think the assumption is that it will work for non-somatic as well. No one checked with the guinea pigs whether they could modulate their tinnitus by moving their jaw and they saw improvement.

One thing, just for clarity, where did you get that 3-5 dB reduction from? Dr. Shore's presentation showed a 12 dB reduction after 12 weeks for the studied patients (all somatic). Where did you get this lower reduction number for non-somatic treatment?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      All we know is the success was based on the 119 people in the clinical trials. Yes, we are desperate to understand if those outside the trial parameters would benefit but we really don't know.

I expect the electrical stimulation of the trigeminal and neck nerve is doing most of the work as electrical stimulation has shown benefits in tDCS (although less and it's less specific) on tinnitus. Both these nerves feed into the DCN.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. sayokandex

sayokandex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      If possible, could you share the contents of the email with us? What date did you receive the email?

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. SRB

SRB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or inflammation
      21447DE3-1655-455A-88C4-71C1276F25D2.png

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    13. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think people involved in development of medical devices or drugs are excluded from participation in clinical trials to avoid bias. This could be a reason why she might have refrained from testing it on herself.

• Like Like x 2
    14. Fightthearmy

Fightthearmy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      work-related
      Nothing weird about tinnitus being in the head. I perceive my own tinnitus as such.

However, there's the interviews of Dr. Shore, clearly proving her linguistic faculties to be far superior to most of us, and there's this email with a weirdly robotic syntactic choices. I can't be the only one seeing it...?

15. PeterPan
      Nerdy

PeterPan Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heat Exhaustion
      Maybe she's used it and it has improved her tinnitus (I understand that the device rarely eliminates tinnitus).

• Like Like x 2
    16. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      It's called being curt.

It's what happens when you're working hard and people flood you with questions that you don't get paid to answer.

• Agree Agree x 13
    17. CRGC
      No Mood

CRGC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNRI/Noise
      I think you might be reading into her writing a bit too much. Looks like typical boomer email to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

OptimusPrimed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - Repeated gun blasts
      Guys, everyone really needs to leave Dr. Shore alone and let her work in peace. Some members of this community have an awful habit of pestering (some would call harassing) companies and scientists about treatments, and turning on them when there is nothing there for the individual emailing; it really needs to stop.

• Agree Agree x 16
      • Like Like x 9
    19. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Was the tinnitus reduction by 6 dB and 12 dB measured based on reduced MML (Minimum Masking Level) or Tinnitus Loudness Matching?

20. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      The way she asked people not to contact her gave off the vibe that it's really pissing her off but she was very polite about it.

• Agree Agree x 8
    21. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @Mentos, I think it was called Tinn Tester or something similar.

• Informative Informative x 2
    22. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Please guys, just leave her alone now! She has communicated with people here on a regular basis for years. You are taking up unnecessary time.

• Agree Agree x 11
    23. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I believe the same level of obsessive compulsivity that makes tinnitus so difficult for many to deal with is the same underlying factor driving individuals to email researchers regularly. I know it's tough, I've been there and I'm there, but we really have to resist the urge to email researchers. If you have to channel that obsession, email and write your representatives and lobbyists and demand action.

Also, I imagine researchers will be much more apt to accept invitations to podcasts, interviews and the like if communications are few and far between.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    24. CarlosEstan
      Inspired

CarlosEstan Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      To further ease anxieties, I was lurking around some clinical trial threads and noticed a profile of a man that had received an implant for vagus nerve stimulation. His story was relatively clear and concise, he went under the knife and got a stimulator put in, then roughly a year later he never returned here.

This to some extent tells me that the bi-modal treatment may be cumulative and works for the majority of tinnitus sufferers. If I remember correctly, he did not have somatic tinnitus.

This comment being anecdotal at best, the Dr. Shore's device should, if used for extended periods of duration, resolve most tinnitus cases completely. For all those in doubt, please bear in mind that this form of therapy has been proven to work, it's just seemingly never had a commercial product with success.

• Like Like x 7
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 5
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    25. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @CarlosEstan, I do think it will help non-somatic cases, perhaps less, perhaps not. The treatment still gains access to the DCN via the dorsal column nerve and trigeminal nerve, but it just hasn't been tested on non-somatic cases.

26. Damocles
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      No offense to anyone who thinks differently, but I find it interesting that anyone still thinks that if this works for people who know how to make their tinnitus worse (sans noise exposure), there's a possibility it won't work for people who don't know how to make their tinnitus worse (sans noise exposure).

I have yet to read an account by anyone who had me convinced they couldn't change (read: make significantly worse) the noise in their head by some means; be it by screwing around with their ears or clenching their jaw etc.

Perhaps there are some, who, like the ones still (capable of) hitting the night clubs, aren't yet aware of, and made subject to, the linear progression of tinnitus. But I'm not so convinced by all the subtypes. Progression speed? Yes. Direction? No.

Likewise, I guess there are some who haven't yet found that mechanism which changes it somewhat, but I've no fear of losing my money on a bet that it's there.

Hey, if you don't believe me (and you're one of those unique cases), try standing on your head for 5 minutes. Let me know.

Disclaimer: Not denying the existence of Somatic Tinnitus, just have a different opinion of what I think the definition should cover. That's a discussion for another thread though.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    27. DeanD

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      I have tried every conceivable way I can think of to worsen my tinnitus with every 360 degree direction head and neck turn, as well as gurning with every jaw movement.

I desperately wanted to find 'something' to not be ruled out of Dr. Shore's device.

I've raised eyebrows (one at a time) and even have a party trick of wiggling my ears.

Not one single decibel have I found my tinnitus to increase from any such movement - and I have about 6-7 tones and also palinacousis.

I sure hope to find one movement to make my tinnitus increase, and I almost try daily in fairness out of desperation.

If there's one move I haven't tried, I'd be willing to give it a go.

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      You aren't the only one; immediately I can think of @Hazel whose tinnitus simply cannot be modulated. No matter what kind of facial, neck, jaw or other movements she has attempted, zero change.

I, on the other hand, can modulate mine very easily.

Some years back we organized a "Tinnitus & The Body" survey which gained more than 8,000 responses, and here's a relevant question:

tinnitus-the-body-survey-somatic.png

• Informative Informative x 7
    29. Damocles
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Jesus... 54% of 8000 correspondents?

I stand corrected.
      I was going to suggest yoga.

I feel like that would be the best test you could run in order to absolutely rule out such an "ability".

Personally, I'd prefer for my tinnitus to be less modulatable than it is. Just the simple act of opening my mouth as if to yawn makes it shoot up (eligibility for bimodal stimulation or not).

In any case, for what it's worth, my instincts tell me that even if you genuinely cannot change your tone (via some physical manoeuvre), this will still work for you. Just remember: absence of evidence is not evidence (as I just demonstrated in my last post).

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 2
    30. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      It was definitely a surprise to us because previous figures I'd seen from various sources and studies often indicated 70-80% could modulate their tinnitus by physical movements. While our sample size was large, I can imagine there could be ways to modulate tinnitus that you wouldn't normally necessarily think of (maybe by applying even more force or targeting very specific parts), and our respondents were just relaying their own experience without very specific guidance.

Anyhow, another data point...

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1