New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      He asked her when the device could be available in Europe, not when an European trial would start, if any. That is indeed a stupid question since she and her team have said several dozens of times in all kind of news pieces, interviews and videos that the device is years away from being finished. You still want to keep her busy answering the same stupid questions over and over again? You still want to flood this thread by calling her egocentric or unprofessional, as it has already happened before? Then go for it!

2. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Look here, I can ask anybody at any time whatever I so desire. You are absolutely in no position to tell me any otherwise. Several people on here have already found my question helpful. To ask that q. was important to me too.

Just for your info, I'm a postgrad student at Uni of London and I'm in touch with other academics via email on a weekly basis. The way it works is you ask a straight question, then you wait for a reply and you usually get a straight answer back. Just like in this case. Nothing less, nothing more.

Again, especially for you - if she was way too busy with doing something else she wouldn't have responded so quickly. I worded my question in a concise manner.

As a matter of fact, I didn't even have to post it on here nor inform anybody of me sending her an email anyway. I of course did post it because I believed someone else might find it useful.

I'm done arguing. This has gone off topic now.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 10
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Joe Bananas
      No Mood

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you consider that to be a stupid question then here are my bad news for you: You are the egocentric one.
      Any information about this is priceless. If someone here is able to reach Susan that is a more valuable move than keeping especulating.
      "One year and a half" sounds like a sentence which could give hope to lots of people suffering, so it worths the e-mail.
      Anyway I guess for Susan, as a researcher, to answer e-mails is a big part of her job.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. crd3

crd3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music / allergies
      1 and a half years until they’re done with trials??? Dang, I did not realize it was so far along the pipeline. Really feeling good about this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. MickV

MickV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      1 year and half for MAYBE it will be in the market. DEPENDS on the second trial and FDA Approval.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      That's a really good timeframe IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Any long term sufferers here who have been scammed in the past will appreciate, professional, well made, lengthy trials to get accurate results. And as the guy said in the interview the more precise animal studies are done the higher the likelihood outcome of good results for humans.

If you can't wait that long, go to the tinnitus clinic and pay £5,000 for a Levo or a desyncra that's about as flaky as a custard slice whether it work or not. No thanks - professional, lengthy trails first, always.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Absolutely. If you watched the video on the first page Prof. Shore says "we're excited about this device because it's not something we just cooked up but it's based on fifteen years of research showing how these two different sensory systems are interacting when producing tinnitus." This was back in 2013. Now it's 2018. They have spent quite some time now working on it with some promising results already - both on animal subjects and humans. It's not some hocus pocus. That's a professor of the department of otolaryngology - head and neck surgery collaborating with biomedical engineers. I'm very excited about their upcoming trial this fall. Then if it gets the FDA approval it could be ready by 2020. That's 7 years since the video and if I'm not mistaken before a drug hits the market it takes approx. 5 - 10 years too (if all goes well). This is a professional approach - no worries there.

Keep updated here: http://ns.umich.edu/new/multimedia/...ptoms-in-test-aimed-at-condition-s-root-cause

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
      • Like Like x 6
    9. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      Nobody should be writing anything negative on this particular thread. This could be a major step forward and there is important work being done that we should all be extremely grateful for.

• Agree Agree x 5
    10. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      It's a medical device, not a drug so the process can be much shorter than drug approval. But before anything comes to market, they need to attract a medical device manufacturer who is going to be interested in manufacturing a commercial product. Who knows how long that will take. Maybe they need to get on the "Shark Tank" and get some financial backing.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      There's nothing wrong with playing devil's advocate. Maybe saying that it will absolutely fail without a shadow of a doubt is bad, but realistic criticism is good.
      I heard one of the sharks have tinnitus so that's actually a pretty good idea.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just looked it up, Daymond John has tinnitus and hearing loss. He's wearing Starkey Halo hearing aids but he's not an investor.

13. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Interesting. On his wiki it says he's appeared on the show as an investor.

14. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      He is a regular investor there.

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Thanks. I've seen him but I don't watch much. I'm replying to someone who said he's not an investor.

16. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      Oh I just meant more the dumb "you shouldn't ask these questions" stuff. I absolutely agree with you about playing Devil's advocate no argument from me there.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      He's a regular on Shark Tank. He's a spokesman for Sharkey hearing aids but not an investor in Sharkey. I sent him Dr. Shore's contact information hoping to interest him in providing some funding for her device.

• Like Like x 3
      • Genius Genius x 2
    18. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      That's a pretty great idea! I think he's probably too busy to get it though. Since we know Dr. Shore keeps in contact with us, we should give her the idea.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Actually she is coming to TRI 2018 in Regensburg in March, possibly "only" for a day due to having other commitments, but still, will be attending.

So surely she'll have discussions with other researchers even if no keynotes or such.

• Informative Informative x 5
      • Like Like x 2
    20. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      About finding investment: I think it will go very easily. Not only are there hundreds of millions of sufferers around the globe (~10% of a global population of 7.6 billion), but there are also concentrated groups with serious purchasing power. For example, tinnitus is the #1 complaint for which the US Veterans' Administration pays disability benefits, to the tune of about a billion of dollars a year.

Just imagine that you're an investor and the following elevator pitch is given to you: 1. here's this serious medical condition, 2. it has no treatment, 3. we found a treatment and proved that it works with more than a decade of science and clinical trials on humans, 4. it is not a drug, but a device, much easier to manufacture and with much less regulatory oversight, 5. there are major concentrations of patients to whom we can sell immediately.

In a business climate where there's so much money sloshing around that even the "Uber for organic vegan craft pizzas" startup ideas get hefty sums.

The main problem Dr Shore will have with potential investors is to crowd control the queue forming up in front of her office. :)

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Without a doubt tinnitus treatment is a potential lucrative investment. The only drawback is risk - it's getting the timing right (a bit like Susan Shores signal timing haha). If a company even developed a treatment (temporary) for chronic tinnitus or a cure for acute tinnitus it would still be highly lucrative imo.

If anybody is feeling bad about having tinnitus, turn something into a positive and buy some stocks into treating your own medical condition - i always looked at Auris stocks (EARS) but it's a good job I didn't, still, who knows where these companies will go in the future.

22. Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      When I clench my jaw my T gets louder, so I do have somatic T, but I also have reactive T. I wonder if this will also help with that

23. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Depends. If you have something like TMD or SCM issues, then you do have somatic. if it's hearing loss or brain based, and you can modulate it by manipulating your body, then you have Somasensory tinnitus. Somasensory is treatable with this device.

24. drivera2592
      Nerdy

drivera2592 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Does anyone know how long the trial will last? I live in California, but I've saved enough money to move to Ann Arbor to try her device for a year if I have to.

• Like Like x 2
    25. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      This is interesting but I have a question. What were the original results? Are these much better?

And how much is a "point" in dB?

26. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Not sure what you mean regarding "original" results.
      There's no relationship. The TFI (Tinnitus Functional Index) is a questionnaire that measures the impact of tinnitus on various aspects of life. They did, however, measure changes in perceived loudness in dB.

• Informative Informative x 2
    27. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      There was a trial before this one. I think linearb was part of that one.
      Oh I thought that TFI was actually important. Definitely glad they focused somewhat on dB. Thanks this reply was extremely helpful I'll be sure to read the full paper on my own.

28. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      The only thing I'm worried about (apart from the device actually being able to do its job) is the final price of the product. I hope it won't be priced anywhere near as riduculous as Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation (£4495) *rip off

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. MickV

MickV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      Let’s see if it even works!!! She said that in the first trial two people said their tinnitus went away. However, after two weeks it got back! I think we have long way to go before even think about marketing this device.

30. Stakovic

Stakovic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If really this device will help us, £4495 is nothing

• Agree Agree x 4