New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      @linearb very important question. When you did the original trial, what did the sound they used sound like?

2. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Looking at neuromodulation (MuteButton) on a different thread...

See

https://www.neuromoddevices.com/

I'm just wondering, how is Susan Shore's device different from this? Both talk about somatosensory - stimulating that with acoustic sounds...

Neuromodulation is also being talked about in TRI 2018, is Susan Shore's device neuromodulation or a different thing altogether?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Localboy

Localboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss from concerts, hunting, tools, and accident
      They are different devices, see what @linearb said:

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thanks for info

• Like Like x 1
    5. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      • Like Like x 2
    6. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Why in the hell, the person who took the treatment do not post nothing! I read in two cases they were completely healed, if it would heppened to me I would say to the entire world! Sadly I smell a scam here

7. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Why do you smell a scam? You're assuming that one of those two people, of every tinnitus sufferer in the world, uses this forum which is unlikely. We're lucky to have the few test cases like @linearb. This is a reputable research team who works at a university. Not only that, but they originally failed, and they fixed it. If it's a scam, then why not just release it the first time anyways?

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I think mutebutton works on the mouth. This is neck oriented.

9. EddieA
      Pacman

EddieA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear injury/perforated ear drum
      It is possible that they made the participants sign an NDA or something since it was just a trial. Maybe they were only allowed to publish a statistic based on results rather than individual testimonials since it's not on the market yet. I emailed them to participate in this year's trial, so hopefully they will pick me and I can personally answer your questions (if I'm allowed to).

• Like Like x 2
    10. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Why asking permission? You cannot use anonymous or another account? is it better follow their rules or give some hope to some millions of people?

11. EddieA
      Pacman

EddieA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How could it be anonymous if there were only 2 people who experienced success? That would be like playing Guess Who with only 2 pictures left on the board. I have a feeling that they want them to keep quiet for legal reasons.

On a side note, I don't think that this project would be as widely covered as it was at the beginning of this year if there wasn't something behind it. No one likes tinnitus, so let's just give it time and see if they are able to improve their approach for this upcoming trial. I personally think that a device will be much more likely to cure it than medication will be (at least in the near future).

• Like Like x 3
    12. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Agreed. On another forum it is mentioned that tinnitus is usually perceived within the frequency range 125 - 16 000 Hz and intensity 5 - 15 dB. This device showed that it could lower the perception of tinnitus by some 12 dB.

That's a huge leap. Even if we have to use it daily it will give us the relieve until someone comes up with the ultimate regenarative medicine for both accute and chronic tinnitus. Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 4
    13. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Great points Edd. Pardon my behindness, but when is the next trial? August 2018 or something? I think this will be the make or break trial.

14. EddieA
      Pacman

EddieA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They didn't specify.

This is what the email said :

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our work and study. The trial will begin in early Fall. We have recorded your email and you will be contacted over the next several months regarding your potential participation.

For further reading, please see our article at: http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/10/422/eaal3175?rss=1

Thanks!

The Shore Lab

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Thanks for the reply. Yeah it was presumptuous for me to make that assumption. Sounds like its in September or October. I hope you get accepted, it would be awesome to have someone involved in the trial here at TT.

16. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      God dammit, this is really getting more and more ridiculous every day. Honestly, I don't know if you're asking this seriously or you're just making fun of people.

• Like Like x 1
    17. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      And you? Are you only able to say that someone says BS and so on? Your posting are totally useless!

18. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You have to take into account that the majority of tinnitus patients aren't active in online support forums like this one. Tinnitus Talk is the biggest T forum on the internet and we're only 23,360 members and millions of people suffer from tinnitus. I don't find it strange at all that these two patients aren't posting here.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    19. Felix Dujardin

Felix Dujardin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown : Noise - Infection - Karma ?
      I can trust enought in the seriousness of the project, but one thing : Susan Shore said she has mild tinnitus.

So why she didn't use the treatment on herself to heal it, to test on herself the efficacity ???

Even if her tinnitus is not bothering like she claims, we all love silence, and everyone I think would try this if it was possible.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    20. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Did she say anywhere that she didn't? Would she brag about it if she did?

For heaven's sake, people. These are not some punks in a startup. These are well-respected researchers from a highly reputable university. I know that in the last few years, the word "expert" has become almost a slur, but pretty pretty please, scrape together your remaining faith that there ARE legitimate scientific outfits still out there.

• Like Like x 1
    21. MickV

MickV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      Bunch of idiots ASS uming it is a scam. Wait a year!!!! To know! It is a make or break trial I agree. At least we are getting closer to understanding the behavior of tinnitus!!! Hold on people!!!

• Like Like x 2
    22. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Well the first time around it failed trials, meaning there was no reason for her to try it. Now it succeeded, and it's possible she is now trying it out for herself, but we wouldn't know because she hasn't said anything about it yet.

23. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I think that the notion of calling something a scam before a trial has been completed is ridiculous. A scam indicates that they are trying to swindle people out of money, but last I checked it's not even on the market yet.

• Agree Agree x 4
    24. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I have to differ with you there, Dr. Shore is the only career professional here. The rest are pretty much punks who are working for a grade and then they are out of there.
      Did you see the video? Not an impressive showing by the students.
      This therapy even if it does work is never going to be 100% effective for everyone. What do you think would happen if she announced that she tried it and it didn't help her?

25. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I didn't know that biomedical engineers were punks...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    26. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Call them what you want; you can't argue with results.

27. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Susan Shore and early career associates said it's often the neck or other parts of the body that have a physical connection to the neck including the central nervous system which controls most everything. Weak dorsal cochlear networks, pain, joint and nerve functions relate to the neck as the bully. Most of the time, the neck is where it begins. Ringing in one ear and switching back and forth to one's other ear which may include jaw functions, ringing increasing in volume during the day and night and headaches often relate to the neck.

• Like Like x 3
    28. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I'm just using the term taken from the post I replied to.

"These are not some punks in a startup"

I guess they are only punks when they are engaged in a startup.

29. leledany

leledany Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-11-02
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      As T suffer I would be in the seventh heaven if they succeed but I read too many first trial with amazing results but they all vanished. Now i will put my hopes only when I have concrete testimony. Why no feedback from patients or acquatancies?

30. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It's better to follow their rules, for a variety of reasons that I hope are pretty obvious to everyone.

There was feedback in here from @linearb (who was cautious about what he was allowed to disclose, I think he may even had asked Dr Shore some permission for certain disclosures) - and there likely is a legally binding document preventing free disclosure (this has been addressed in prior posts already - not sure why you bring it up again). If patients aren't allowed to disclose, they generally aren't allowed to disclose to anyone (family, friends, acquaintances, priests, gods, cats, etc) outside of people who "need to know" (the NDA is generally explicit about who that covers).

• Agree Agree x 5