New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      I guess I'm too slow. Thanks @Markku

• Like Like x 1
    2. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Do you think that a person can have two types of tinnitus at once (so part of the noise is somatic, part of it is not)?

I have many sounds (3-8 or so, varies by time of day, level of fatigue, the mood of the gods etc...) and certain sounds I can modulate through jaw movements, but not others.

Though any reduction of the orchestra is very welcome, of course.

• Like Like x 3
    3. brummygirl
      Cheerful

brummygirl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      clenching jaw while weightlifting
      @Markku @kelpiemsp
      Brilliant. Thanks very much. This is spot on where my interest lies for my son.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There are many different types and combinations of T depending on the lens you view it from. This model shows two pathways, and many different ways. I.E. 4 different cranial nerves, a neck nerve, the auditory nerve. This is just one model.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I think that it about vertebral and deep cervical veins and c spine. As discussed by Susan Shore and research from Charter 4 Cervical Spine Trauma. One of the exercises is do nothing. It's about taking pressure off of your cervical veins that thru a network of nerves that goes to the DCN and to take pressure off the c spine. I use a regular non foam pillow. Bunch it up to partly fit under neck. Sleep on one side and place inward hand on temporal. Fold other arm to your side. Bend legs but keep back in straight line to neck. Have your shoulders raised a little. If you change sides, do the same. I have done for two nights and today I woke up with 1/10 T down from 10/10. Now after 12 hours, I'm back up to a 8.

• Like Like x 3
    6. Steven__

Steven__ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure, TMJ
      I think I do ,I have at least 4 different sounds and I had the ringing before I had been exposed to loud noise exposure which made the noise a whole lot louder. I kinda thought before my hearing was normal. Then I read up about tinnitus after the noise exposure

• Like Like x 1
    7. Spoon
      Inspired

Spoon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      My tinnitus can become high/low by moving my jaws, I don't understand why this happened, when I was teen, I had my jaw injured... I forgot when was it, that time I still don't have tinnitus. Until one day, tinnitus appeared and won't go away, I think my tinnitus is related to this jaw injury which I had at 18 yo... Now I'm 26, I had tinnitus for more than 7 years already I think...

• Like Like x 1
    8. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      There's an access wall I can't get passed, so this may be helpful for those stuck too:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/e9...7.1400208387.1523897195-1132365215.1523897195

More informative ebook preview:
      https://books.google.com/books?id=XydUtbVHtdEC&pg=PA195&lpg=PA195&dq="Evidence+for+a+tinnitus+subgroup+responsive+to+somatosensory+based+treatment+modalities"&source=bl&ots=Qm-JIk1tK2&sig=vnZiUMOGsBOv68PML5xbi-iLIiE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjA4Z6doL_aAhWHxVQKHV8QDjgQ6AEIOTAE#v=onepage&q="Evidence%20for%20a%20tinnitus%20subgroup%20responsive%20to%20somatosensory%20based%20treatment%20modalities"&f=false

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @threefirefour Are you student? If so, most colleges and universities have a special access program. You would have to go to the library... but if its for an assignment or a paper ;) they can grant you access to use the University's license. However, it would be a rather large violation to post that paper here if you do that.

• Like Like x 1
    10. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      You're right. It would be an absolute shame if it were to somehow... get leaked, wouldn't it?

• Funny Funny x 4
    11. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      @kelpiemsp hi as a researcher at what point would you give up on a drug or device that you know will fail? or would you carry on till funding ran out?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    12. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      So does this mean that you can tell if your tinnitus goes through the DCN if you can somatically modulate it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That’s the theory! All this to say there’s some real hope for those with somatically modulated T!

14. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is a great question! You wouldn’t waste your time that’s for sure, however you would never get funded again if you couldn’t complete your study and provide an explanation or new direction. Unfortunately, we can’t really read too much into this treatment other than the study isn’t finished. However, I believe if shore didn’t think this would work she could cut her losses at the previous trial, and try to tweak the study and redo it. The fact that the protocol is so close should be a good sign. I find encouragement in that DARPA has started funding this type of therapy.

• Like Like x 2
    15. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      She actually did do that once when this product failed the first (and hopefully only) time. Hope that this means the fact she's going forward with this design suggests that she has good confidence in it.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Attachment 16672 is a reference showing cranial nerves and spinal nerve C2. Susan Shore is involved in spasm of the sternocleidomastoideus and trapezius due to possible strain of the sensory fibers of the spinal accessory nerve on exit of the C2-C4 spinal nerves. Also treatment sometimes needs to be given to vertebral arteries and deep cervical veins, occipitocervical ligaments, capsular ligaments and perivertebral ligaments.

Other factors that can contribute is the c spine itself and lordotic curve must be highly considered. I would assume that these areas would be examined by the New University of Michigan team before any treatment.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      She’s not the only one either. The lab at the UofM (Minnesota) is looking at a nearly identical treatment, but T is just one area they are looking at. Chronic pain and depression being some others.

18. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Hope it works. From what I hear, the head researcher on that study admits it's less effective when tried on a larger group. Does that mean it's not a good product?

• Like Like x 1
    19. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It could be sooo many things. Maybe the signal timing is off, maybe our neurons fire at different rates and it has to be personalized. The concept of this tech is really in its infancy. I believe that regardless of this Shore’s outcome, it’s in the right direction and this may get us there faster than pharmaceuticals. Besides we still don’t know the long term effects. Maybe if you teach the brain how to partially quiet the T, it will do the rest eventually. Maybe, I hope :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. parsky

parsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/1/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Where did you hear this? Source?

21. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Its in the university of Minnesota thread on research news. I'm not talking about SS.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here is the info: http://soniclab.umn.edu/research/neural-beamforming-tinnitus to me they admitted the effects were short lived, but that this was "controllable" to prevent the possibility of inducing permanent loud T. Which I get. I'd hate to be that person, but I just might be.... to science!

• Informative Informative x 2
    23. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      2018 and still waiting. Maybe 3018

• Like Like x 2
    24. hans799
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I consider Susan Shore and her project to be the light at the end of the tunnel. There's an appreciable chance that they'll have something out in 2-3 years or so. I can live with this for 2-3 more years, easy. I have 50 years or so left from my lifespan - if everything goes fine, I'll live more than 90% of those years in silence! That's a great thought, now isn't it?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    25. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I don't know if this is good or bad news, but since the second trial is not much more rigorous than the first, the chances of it passing are very high. IDK if that will translate into success post-market.

• Like Like x 1
    26. hans799
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, we'll certainly know more.

My understanding is that the first trial included 10 people for about a month or so, while the second will include 50 and they'll use the device for several months, right? My fervent hope is that the second group will also report a consistent effect, and the effect size will increase with time, which would indicate that 1. the device really is working 2. neuroplasticity is working in our favor and the brain can be "trained off" tinnitus. If this is the case then we'll be on the threshold of salvation.

I refuse to think of the alternative.

27. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      The first successful trial lasted for a few months with 20 people. People would wear the active/sham device for 30 minutes daily for 4 weeks, and then have a two week washout, then switch devices. The second has 50 but that's not a huge improvement. It more than doubles participants but it's small compared to the more rigorous hundreds medicines go through.

This upcoming Trial in August, according to an email another user here got, will go through to August 2019, but since the next trial will experiment with 6 week intervals, anywhere from February 2019-August 2019 is reasonable.

IMO, the first device more than demonstrated that it's working because of the huge margins of improvement for the 55% who experienced improvement. The real question for me, is what percent of somatic-sufferers will it work on? The device permanently shutting down tinnitus via neuroplasticity is a realistic desire but right now with current data nothing suggests that it will, but that could be because of the small window of usage.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. ee9892

ee9892 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      I dont believe the effects would be long lasting if you stopped using the device... but wouldnt it be nice to have a device that makes life more manageable while we wait for a permanent cure?

Thats my outlook on this.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    30. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones