New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Tammy Rowe

Tammy Rowe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle ear infection- otaglia
      I emailed Susan Shore. I actually got a reply. They are conducting a study in the fall and are keeping my email address. I may be invited to participate. All I told her was I live in Michigan and would like to be considered for participating in your study. Lo and behold I was contacted a week later. I will keep everyone posted if I am chosen. If I do get to participate I will post my experience as well.

• Like Like x 8
      • Agree Agree x 2
    2. ee9892

ee9892 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      FYI - I signed up for the trial and received this email today. I think ill be a good candidate based on how I can alter my tinnitus with jaw movement, and I live 20 minutes away from where they are located. I'll keep you all updated.

"Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our work and study. The trial will begin in early Fall. We have recorded your email and you will be contacted over the next several months regarding your potential participation.

For further reading, please see our article at: http://stm.sciencemag.org/content/10/422/eaal3175?rss=1

Thanks!

The Shore Lab"

• Like Like x 4
    3. Tammy Rowe

Tammy Rowe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle ear infection- otaglia
      PLEASE DO! If you get to participate. I cannot alter mine. But it does come and go. Some days it's in one ear and not the other and vice versa. I don't know if I will qualify. But one can hope.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Mic
      Buzzed

Mic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      At least.... an article that explains the Shore method thoroughly and understandable for Joe and Jane:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2675187

My opinion for the viability of this method (don't want to crash your party but):
      • The population count of 10 control and 10 actual treatment doesn't pledge for reliable results. The chance for false positives are way tooooo high...
      • The score difference between control and actual is not that great for TFI and dB.
      See it for yourself on the results tab of clinicaltrials.gov:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/results/NCT02974543?sect=X870156#outcome2

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      "Published in early January, the findings prompted an outpouring from people interested in the next clinical trial, set to start in August. “We’ve received about 2600 emails,” Shore noted. Despite the interest, the upcoming trial can accommodate only 50 participants.

The upcoming trial in August, which received funding from the National Institutes of Health’s Brain Initiative, will administer the treatment a bit longer, perhaps 6 weeks instead of 4 or a longer duration per day, Shore said.

For now, the human findings are preliminary and the device is experimental, although the University of Michigan holds a patent on the concept. “We don’t have an end product just yet,” she noted. “But for the next trial we’re having devices made that will be FDA-compliant.”

"How long might it take before a commercial product is on the market?At least a couple of years,” Shore said. “I can’t predict the future, so we’ll just have to wait and see.”"

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Thanks for the update it looks great.

I'm glad it's anticipated to begin in August, which is 3 months earlier than I assumed it would be. One big nitpick I have is the scale and frame of the pivitol trial. The clinical Trial was only 20 participants, but apparently that's HALF of the minimum FDA requirement for a pivitol device trial. I won't question her judgement but that's still concerning.

Also, 6 weeks is only 1/2 larger than 4 weeks, which isn't exactly "long term". Sure this means it will hit the market sooner assuming it passes, but I still want some more solid research. Hopefully they will re-evaluate the trial design...

• Agree Agree x 4
    7. Nate Croteau

Nate Croteau Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/27/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound Trauma
      https://newatlas.com/tinnitus-cure-treatment-headset/52854/

I actually figured out how to do this treatment on my own months ago. Just by using my Dr. Ho Pulse Massager on the back of my neck near my ears while whistling a tune that masks my Tinnitus. I would do this for about 30 minutes a day and it seems to have helped reduce the volume of my Tinnitus over time... So this article proves that I'm a bonafide Genius! Lol

• Like Like x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    8. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      And the article and your anecdotal comments also possibly prove that dr. Shore is on the right track.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      while I think nate's little experiment was creative, I don't know how effective it wasn't in reducing his tinnitus.

IMO, what proves she's on the right track is another very similar trial having passed its clinical trial in September 2017.

10. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      where are the two that are cured? where are the world news headlines?

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I think their tinnitus returned after some time. A temporary effect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. MickV

MickV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      You’re right. She admitted it on Facebook live that it returned.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Still, if 40 mins of use gave you relief for a week and you had to use it for life that would still be a breakthrough and would have huge demand

• Agree Agree x 5
    14. MickV

MickV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      No doubt it is a start and....it is getting us closer to understanding why it stopped...if we know how....problem is solved for good!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. MickV

MickV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      Her aproach has changed i must said. In her website she said that probably there will be no cure for T. But after first trial with her promising results she said : if we know how we can stop T this is our approach. It makes me happy that she is looking for a soultion/ a cure and not just treatment for volume

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. reeax

reeax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      muscular neck issues
      She holds a patent? That means the patent was probably submitted some time ago. The device will get out in few years at least? Cool just take the patent description and send it in China for a very limited production (ex. 100 devices, for non-commercial purpose) via Alibaba, and we're all done here in few months.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    17. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I hope no researcher who works hard to find a cure for us ever comes across a post like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. MickV

MickV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert
      Can anyone explain me the timing electric stimulation of the device? I never understood how it works? What makes it different than other devices that sends elctric puleses? We have those devices ....

• Like Like x 1
    19. Tempest
      Tired

Tempest Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I actually just went to pick myself a Beurer EM49 just for the heck of it to see if this works.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    20. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      It probably won't because of how much more complex the students said it would, but great job checking another guys internet claim to reproduce the results. Please post results back here in 6 weeks!

21. Tempest
      Tired

Tempest Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      We'll see, I won't need money where I'm going ;) Anyway, I'll let you guys know. My main tinnitus is typewriter/morsecode like.

There are also some info here (buried yet again): https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tens-machine.646/page-2

• Informative Informative x 1
    22. Alberte

Alberte Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How long before the device created by Dr Susan Shore will be available?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    23. Zok

Zok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      not sure, likely 10+years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know maybe loud sounds
      Maybe inject lidocain nearby blood vesell that goes to ear. I am not expert in cardiovascular things, so this might be techically false, as I do not know how drugs get transported via blood. I suppose they have to go throught heart, but then i hope they don't.

Another possible mechanism is retrograde transport thought nerves/dentrites - but then I do not know what drugs can be absorbed this way and if there is anyone who is doing so.

Again I am a bit more familiar with nerve anatomy than vascular, but not sure if something of these things is doable.

• Like Like x 1
    24. razo

razo Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio exposure
      I am thinking one can try to operate away the neurons that shows the hyperactivity. It has been shown that new brainregions can take over bodyfunctions for brainregions that have been removed by surgery, e.g for stroke-patients, so wouldn´t this also work for hearing? If it is very difficult to "retrain" the affected neurons to operate normally again - so difficult that they could be characterised as damaged - wouldn´t it be right to remove them?
      Or insert chemicals that slows down the electric activity in this brain region. (This method is now in clinical trials for epilepsypatients; epilepsy is also characterised by hyperactivity between neurons).

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Good point (or neural transplantation). In Parkinson's disease i.e. there's missing a certain population of cells that produce hormone dopamine. In the 50's scientists were thinking "Fine, we will cultivate these cells and then we place them into a brain." What sounded great in theory and worked on animal models didn't work at all for humans.

With chemicals, the situation is even more complicated I think. By raising dopamine levels in the affected brain region that's responsible for Parkinson's, you theoretically could get rid of the Parkinson's disease or at least its symptoms (tremors, stiffness and dementia) but create an imbalance and thus possibly giving the individual Alzheimer's disease.

I believe signal timing neuromodulation could really be the key here (and so does Prof. MUDr. Vladimir Benes, DrSc. - a neurosurgeon).

• Like Like x 1
    26. razo

razo Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio exposure
      I hope so too.

But regarding inserting chemicals: I discovered this technology while reading about the swedish company Combigene. They are now in pre-clinical studies (apologies for saying clinical stage in last post) and their proof-of-concept studies on animal models have finished with good results, and they have also seen good effects on transplanted, living human braintissue that they have had access to after epileptic surgery. In my notes I have that epilepsy is due to overproduction of glutamate in the brain. Their CG-01 is a virus that does not replicate (so it will stay in the injected brain area, so is safe compared to earlier types of this medication). In my laymans understanding the CG-01 acts as resistance for the neurons and then causes them to reduce the activity and "fire" less. It is intended for the group of epileptic patients that are not suitable for todays epileptic treatment. They are also looking to expand their CG-01 to new indications.
      Here is a videopresentation:

And their webpage: http://combigene.com/en/latest-news/

Perhaps this could be a future solution for people with tinnitus also. (I did not want to start a new thread so I mentioned this here).

• Like Like x 1
    27. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      The JAMA Network issued an article which included a quote from Prof. Shore on this (the article was released in March 2018):

upload_2018-4-2_19-35-21.png

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    28. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      A fine question. I had myself a little difficulty understanding this point. But after having read a bit more of the research by Prof. Shore, I think the patient profile is meant to be understood to include those who have somatosensory tinnitus which – I believe – is not the same as somatic tinnitus as an etiology (i.e. somatosensory origin). Somatosensory tinnitus could span multiple etiologies (incl. those with noise-induced tinnitus). In fact, it is not uncommon to be able to modulate a person's tinnitus using pressure applied to the jaw or temple. So, as I see it, I think her work could have a pretty wide scope in terms of the patients who could benefit.

The above is just my own view in this case. I could be wrong, and someone should make the effort to find out more from a reliable source...

• Like Like x 3
    29. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      In the presentation at the TRI conference they said they are gong to test it out, to quote myself:

Their next steps are to test if it works for non-somatic tinnitus, and how does it work on hearing loss patients. The next questions are, will longer treatment durations improve outcomes, and how long does the treatment effect last? And of course, can they optimise the protocol further?

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    30. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      They said that at the conference? That's interesting. They said this in the livestream, and that the guniea pig results translate almost exactly to human results.

I don't think they can tell if a Guinea Pig has somatic tinnitus, so if it works in most of them, could this suggest that from the Guinea pig results, that it may work on nonsomatic sufferers?